As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finally a new [Android] Thread

19899100101102104»

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    New Question time! Verizon Galaxy S6 and a 2012 Honda Civic EX. Previous S4 connected to it fine, and would display song info, though on occasion it would not update itself. S6 will connect and play music but show nothing on the song info screen. I can control it with my steering wheel controls, and make phone calls, just no info when music is played. I reset my car bluetooth to factory, and still nothing. Help?

50433.png?1708759015
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    New Question time! Verizon Galaxy S6 and a 2012 Honda Civic EX. Previous S4 connected to it fine, and would display song info, though on occasion it would not update itself. S6 will connect and play music but show nothing on the song info screen. I can control it with my steering wheel controls, and make phone calls, just no info when music is played. I reset my car bluetooth to factory, and still nothing. Help?

It does the same thing on my UConnect. All it shows is the SAMSUNG SGH925 or what have you.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Oh for Christ's sake. 5.1.1 OTA notice on my Nexus 5. I just updated to 5.1 two months ago. I'm tired of rebuilding/re-downloading ALL THE THINGS.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Oh for Christ's sake. 5.1.1 OTA notice on my Nexus 5. I just updated to 5.1 two months ago. I'm tired of rebuilding/re-downloading ALL THE THINGS.

I know. Heaven forbid Google try to improve the experiences on their devices!!

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    changelog is boring for stock as well.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

That's what you get for having a Nexus phone. Get yourself a third party device and you'll be able to get nice and comfortable with homey, familiar, broken-in versions of Android without having to be bothered by pesky updates for months, if ever!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I will be a Scumbag Steve if I want!!!! These are my first world problems, damnit!

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I think my next phone is going to be a Nexus, I'm not super thrilled about being stuck on 5.01 on my Note. Not that I'm really experiencing any issues (although I did notice scrolling in some apps is jumpy), but I want the new shiny damn it.

Not that it'll really matter since I'm basically bound to Verizon until they rip my unlimited data from me.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of no SD card, but I guess that means I'll just have to offload my pics and videos more often. I don't do a whole lot of apps, typically. On my 16GB S4, I have 4.96GB free space on the phone itself, and 36GB free on a 64GB card (59 usable), 10 of which is data from an old backup. I think a 32GB Edge will suit me fine. I just can't see spending an extra $100 for a 64GB version when I probably won't use the space.

So I've had my S6 Edge for about a week now, and I'm... underwhelmed.

The phone itself is larger than my S4, but the screen is approximately the same size. That said, the screen seems much much better than my S4's screen. Colors are better and more vibrant and it's much nicer to look at.

It seems that, compared to my S4, the bloatware has been reduced, but there's still a significant amount of crap on there that I shouldn't have to try (and ultimately fail) to remove. I can "disable" and "hide" things, but good luck with that if it's a Samsung or Verizon app, because fuck you, that's why.

The camera sticks out from the back of the phone and though I knew that going in, it's unbelievably annoying for some reason. I can't lay my phone flat on its back. It wobbles ever so slightly, and I can foresee the glass covering the lens becoming scratched, rendering my camera unusable.

The back is also ridiculously smooth. If you rest the camera on its back on any sort of inclined surface, the camera will slide down. I found that out the hard way when I set my phone down on the same shelf I set down all my stuff (including my S4) to keep it away from my goddamn wiener kids, only to have it fall 5 feet and hit my nice hardwood floor. I was pleasantly surprised to find it sans marking of any kind. This thing is apparently a beast, yet I hope to have only the single data entry from which to make that assessment.

It's built better than my S4 and the first thing I noticed was how nice it felt to hold. I was worried that it would slip out of my hands what with the sides being so thin due to the curved screen, but I've had no issues with that so far.

Overall it's a nice phone, but had I had a chance to use it prior to committing to buying it, I would have stayed with my S4. I consider myself a power user with my electronic devices, and I guess I was expecting more from a phone two versions newer than the one I was using. I remain very unimpressed.

SeñorAmor on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    So I finally installed Facebook Messenger, but it seems like its notifications ignore Lollipop's Priority Mode. Is this a weird quirk with my phone, or has anyone noticed this?

工事中
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I don't know. I didn't bother with the app, and just use chrome for Facebook. Saves more battery that way.

Cokebotle wrote: »
    So I finally installed Facebook Messenger, but it seems like its notifications ignore Lollipop's Priority Mode. Is this a weird quirk with my phone, or has anyone noticed this?

I'd have to test but if I recall it behaves on my N5 when in priority.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I don't know. I didn't bother with the app, and just use chrome for Facebook. Saves more battery that way.

Tinfoil for Facebook can be handy. It's just a wrapper for the mobile site but lets you keep it in it's own app without all of the gross permissions stuff that Facebook wants.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Remember all those very obvious fake mock up photos of a future iPhone or Galaxy S line phone with a projected keyboard that all the kids love the idea of?

Well Lenovo decided to make one.

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32914764

Unsurprisingly its not very practical.

edited May 2015
    We're at 104 pages and with I/O today we really should make a new thread. I can if no one else does but expect a shitty OP. If nothing is up near the start of the keynote I'll put something up. :biggrin:

EDIT: new thread with the promised shitty OP created: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/198530/android-thread-v-2015-marshmallows-or-mangos#latest

wunderbar on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Podcast apps, is Pocketcast worth the couple bucks?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm using the paid Pocketcast and I'd say yes. Only two things about it bother me. Sometime it doesn't pull down all my new episodes and it's a little hard to navigate older podcasts if you want to listen to old episodes.

This discussion has been closed.