As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Observer Effect

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Observer Effect

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    omgthatguyomgthatguy Registered User new member
    edited May 2015
    that dog has seen stuff, man. stuff that cannot be unseen.

omgthatguy on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    omgthatguy wrote: »
    that dog has seen stuff, man. stuff that cannot be unseen.

I don't know, that dog seems pretty happy with the view.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I was hoping for a continuation of the Exile comic, but this is good, too.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    It has been my experience that the bassist is typically not the one sleeping with anyone, at all. All the girls are like "Oh, you're in a band?!" and the bassist is all "Yeah, I play bass", and the girls are all "Oh...", and then the bassist spends the rest of the party playing Mario Kart with the drummer's little brother while everyone else pairs off and finds places to make out.

It... it was me. I was that bassist.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    That dog is creepy and scary. I don't like it.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Selling out isn't a choice. It's just a matter of when.

• Options
    identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    So is Tycho referring to Move Minor Standard, or his other side project that played on Thursdays?
    768760190_GscEE-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    In all seriousness a Rock Band RPG could work. The rock industry has had a lot of eccentric people and interesting stories that they could draw on. Of course a lot of those stories contain lots of sex and drug abuse so keeping that teen rating might be difficult but the potential is there

• Options
    ironhead wrote: »
    In all seriousness a Rock Band RPG could work. The rock industry has had a lot of eccentric people and interesting stories that they could draw on. Of course a lot of those stories contain lots of sex and drug abuse so keeping that teen rating might be difficult but the potential is there
    If you can make a compelling Football team management game, I think a band RPG is doable.

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    If you can make a compelling Football team management game, I think a band RPG is doable.

I would kill for a band management game with the depth of Football Manager.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    Fandeathis wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I would kill for a band management game with the depth of Football Manager.

That would be fun. You start as some high school kid trying to help your friends get gigs in peoples backyards and grow your business into a massive international record label.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Someone made a rock band management game. I played it. It was bad.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    A friend who went into indy game development used to joke about making a game that let you pull from rosters of real musicians, and trying to cobble together statistically superior super-bands. All those conversations inevitably wound up being about how you'd have to have a blanket Dave Grohl ban, because he would be like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    A friend who went into indy game development used to joke about making a game that let you pull from rosters of real musicians, and trying to cobble together statistically superior super-bands. All those conversations inevitably wound up being about how you'd have to have a blanket Dave Grohl ban, because he would be like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.
    That's why you have disadvantages: "persistent costly legal issues with ex-bandmate's wife"

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I once spent two years co-designing a rock band management game with a friend but he ended up taking all the work I'd done (which was all the art and writing) and self-published it under his own name. I was pissed but after realizing just how bad the mechanics were and how poorly received it ended up being I was pretty happy to not be associated with it.

I wasn't as good at art then as I am now (and even then I'm not that good) and my writing skills weren't as good either (again-not all that good but getting better). I don't hold a grudge against him as I think he did me a favor and I know he regrets it but it taught me that I'm not all that into designing games. Even if it had been successful I don't deal with success or its pressures well.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Everybody picks on the bassist.

Until you don't have one, and don't know any other decent ones.

Then you're practically begging your friends, asking them if they know anybody who plays bass.

Nobody appreciates the bassist until he's gone.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Everybody picks on the bassist.

Until you don't have one, and don't know any other decent ones.

Then you're practically begging your friends, asking them if they know anybody who plays bass.

Nobody appreciates the bassist until he's gone.

But any other bassist can replace him.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Only if you have no demans on quality.
    Which is probably why most rockbands have a bassline suitable for "My first bass".

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

Which is probably why most rockbands have a bassline suitable for "My first bass".

The last time I played Rock Band communally I was playing bass all night. The people I was with were astonished at my ability to hit 98% or more on each song. They didn't notice that my note list was a monotonous string of green and red with barely any fiddly bits.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I might be a guitar player and focus on guitarists but I'll be the first to admit that bass players inspire me every bit as much. Chuck Rainy, John Paul Jones, Alex Lifeson, Billy Sheehan...and especially Carol Kaye. She's one of the most influential musicians ever, with 10,000 recording sessions under her belt over a 55 year career. Hell-she even played guitar on La Bamba. Modern rock wouldn't be what it is without her playing. Look her up some time.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Les Claypool, Tina Weymouth, Pino Palladino, James Jamerson, Aston Barret, Christopher Wolstenholme...

The bass determines the mood, the drive and the rythm.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Nobody is going to list Victor Wooten?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve37F3Ee9Ow

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Also obvious shout outs to Jaco Pastorius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqashW66D7o

And Flea. I'd link a song for Flea but, I mean, I really doubt I need to.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm never going to not read 'bassist' like someone who's an expert with fish.

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    Rhesus Positive / 4:44AM

Fiendishrabbit wrote: »

The last time I played Rock Band communally I was playing bass all night. The people I was with were astonished at my ability to hit 98% or more on each song. They didn't notice that my note list was a monotonous string of green and red with barely any fiddly bits.
    #####

A bassist without soul is the difference between tool and foo fighters.

• Options
    palidine40 wrote: »
    Rhesus Positive / 4:44AM

Fiendishrabbit wrote: »

#####

MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'm never going to not read 'bassist' like someone who's an expert with fish.

Especially if they have sole

• Options
    mohsmohs Registered User regular
    Nobody is going to list Victor Wooten?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve37F3Ee9Ow

This. My thoughts exactly at a Victor Wooten-less list of bassists.

• Options
    palidine40 wrote: »

Both of those are popular (or were 20 years ago at least). You'll have to tell me which one is the good bassist one?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I played bass, for a while.
    Enough to laugh at the part in Weird Al's stage act where it's the bass player's turn for a solo - and he comes out, strikes a pose, and plays a single note. (bownt)
    Then he plays another, and another slightly higher... and takes his bow to applause, and goes back to where he was standing before.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Geddy.

Lee,

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    As someone who occasionally hires bassists, I don't want a victor wuten or geddy lee, I want someone who has good technical and practical improvisational abilities, but knows how to shut up and doesn't make the song all about whatever awesome bass lick they've just come up with. If I was auditioning bass players and their audition piece was a bass solo I wouldn't bother letting them finish it. Personality is the most important thing for a bass player in ninety percent of cases.

• Options
    iamarogueiamarogue Registered User new member
    You can already play Rock Band the tabletop RPG: http://totl.net/Umlaut/