As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cthulhu Wars - (Chaos in the Great Old One World)

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Remember the recent rules changes:
    SHUB-NIGGURATH faction card

How to Awaken Shub-Niggurath
    1) You must have a Controlled Gate, plus at least two Cultists anywhere.
    2) Pay 8 Power
    3) Remove two Cultists from anywhere on the map. Place Shub-Niggurath on your Controlled Gate.

SHUB-NIGGURATH spellbook
    The Red Sign (ongoing) your Dark Young can now Build Gates, Control Gates, earn 1 Power each during the Gather Power phase, and add +1 apiece to Shub-Niggurath's Combat. They do not act as Cultists with respect to any other purpose.

GREAT CTHULHU faction card
    Spellbook requirement
    In the first Doom phase, receive this spellbook. Also receive 1 Elder Sign.

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Here comes the King in Yellow!
    To Scandinavia
    7 -> 3

@Bobkins Flymo

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2015
    Let her children enter this world!

A ghoul comes through the gate in West Africa.

5 -> 4

@Preda

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Huh. Thought I edited the faction sheets to reflect the changes. Guess that was the old images. I'll update them tonight with the errata.

edit: oops, I did already change them!

MrBody on
  • Options
    I should get a spellbook, right? I pick the Screaming Dead

• Options
    Daemonis wrote: »
    I should get a spellbook, right? I pick the Screaming Dead

You do!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    All you people and your first turn spellbooks!

• Options
    Daemonis wrote: »
    Here comes the King in Yellow!
    To Scandinavia
    7 -> 3
    @MrBody @Daemonis I don't think this is a legal action, unless I'm looking at the old erroneous faction sheet.

A requirement for the King in Yellow to be summoned is to have a unit in an area with a gate, but currently all of the Yellow Sign's units (before summoning the King) are at a gate.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    He moved a cultist to Scandinavia which doesn't have a gate

• Options
    Oh whoops, I missed his first action.

Still thinking Chaos in the Old World with 7 being Khorne's starting power

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Oh whoops, I missed his first action.

Still thinking Chaos in the Old World with 7 being Khorne's starting power
    Yellow Sign is not Khorn at all.

• Options
    King...skull throne...they have similarities!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I'm Khorne. Lots of combat dice, combat abilities, hard time getting points, etc

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Board
    hBHM0a1.png
    Player status
    Great Cthulhu
    Yx6Mqxz.jpg
    Spellbooks-

Devolve (Ongoing): At the end of any player's Action (even if it's not your turn), transform one or more of your Acolyte Cultists anywhere on the map into Deep Ones.

Absorb (Pre-Battle): Remove any of your non-GOO units from the area. For each such unit, the Shoggoth adds 3 to his Combat.

Regenerate (Battle): Star Spawn can accept up to 2 combat results. If they are both kills, it dies. On ANY other combination, it is pained.

Submerge (Action: Cost 1): If Cthulhu is in an Ocean Area, remove him from the map and place him on your Faction card, along with any or all friendly Units in the same area. On a later Action, perform Submerge again to place Cthulhu (plus any accompanying Units) anywhere on the map.

Dreams (Action: Cost 3): Choose an area with enemy Acolyte Cultists. Your enemy must eliminate an Acolyte Cultist (chosen by victim) and replace it with one of yours from your pool.

Y'ha Nthlei (Ongoing): If Cthulhu is in play you get 1 power for each Gate in an Ocean area that you do not control. (uncontrolled Gates do not count, because everyone gets one
    power from them anyway, but Yog-Sothoth does count).

Crawling Chaos
    Cthulhu%2BWars%2B-%2BReference%2BCard%2B-%2BCrawling%2BChaos.JPG

Spellbooks-

Abduct (Pre-Battle): Eliminate a Nightgaunt, your foe must eliminate a non-GOO unit in the same area.

Invisibility (Pre-Battle): Each Flying Polyp can select one non-GOO to be sidelined, and not take part in the battle.

Seek and Destroy (Pre-Battle): Whenever a battle is declared in which one of your units participates, you may move any or all of your Hunting Horrors on the board to the location of the battle.

Madness (Ongoing): Whenever there is a combat anywhere on the map, you may choose where units that are pained move to.

Emissary of the Outer Gods (Ongoing): Nyarlathotep must be in play; Unless an enemy Great Old One is in the battle, any kill inflicted on Nyarlathotep becomes a pain.

The Thousand Forms (Once-Per-Action-Round: Cost 0): Nyarlathotep must be in play; roll 1d6 and all other players have one minute to decide if they will lose that much power. If they decide not to lose the Power, Nyarlathotep gains that much Power.

Black Goat
    pFMfi5p.jpg

Spellbooks-

Frenzy (Ongoing): Cultists have a Combat of 1.

Necrophagy (Post-Battle): Move any or all Ghouls to that battle and apply an additional pain result to each side for each Ghoul so moved. Ghouls that are already in the combat cannot participate in Necrophagy.

Ghroth (Action: Cost 2): Roll a die. If the result is equal to or less than the number of areas containing Fungi, then your enemies must collectively lose that many Acolyte Cultists from the map. If they can't decide in one minute do it for them.

The Red Sign (ongoing) your Dark Young can now Build Gates, Control Gates, earn 1 Power each during the Gather Power phase, and add +1 apiece to Shub-Niggurath's Combat. They do not act as Cultists with respect to any other purpose.

Blood Sacrifice (Ongoing): Each Doom Phase you may sacrifice 1 Cultist to get an Elder Sign. Shub-Niggurath must be in play.

The Thousand Young (Ongoing): Shub-Niggurath must be in play. All Ghouls, Fungi, and Dark Young cost 1 less power to summon.

Yellow Sign
    4siKYr5.jpg
    Spellbooks-

Passion (Ongoing): When one of your Cultists is eliminated by an enemy Action (Captured, Killed, Etc.) during the Action phase, gain 1 Power.

Zin Gaya (Action: Cost 1): In an area with an Undead and an enemy Acolyte Cultist replace that Acolyte Cultist with another Undead.

Shriek of the Byakhee (Action: Cost 1): Move any or all Byakhee on the map to any single area on the map.

The Screaming Dead (Action: Cost 1): Move the King in Yellow and any Undead in the same area to a neighboring area, you may immediately perform a second, different action (may not perform He Who Must Not Be Named as the second action).

He Who Must Not Be Named (Action: Cost 1): Hastur immediately moves to an area on the map with a Cultist. He may then perform a second, different action (may not perform The Screaming Dead as the second action).

The Third Eye (Ongoing): Hastur must be in play; Desecrate costs only 1 Power to perform, and grants you an Elder Sign when successful.

Cthulhu: 4
    Yellow sign: 3
    Black goat: 4
    Crawling choas: 5 current turn

MrBody on
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Let's move!
    1 accolyte and Hunting Horror to North pacific.
    5->3

• Options
  • Options
    Yes, don't go capture in the undefended yellow homeland, or snag the undefended red gate that's going up soon, go after the faction that wants to fight

Summon starspawn in N Pacific

4->1

@daemonis

• Options
    One thing I quickly learned. As long as the player has power and pieces left, no gate is really undefended.

• Options
    Try to Desecreate Scandinavia. 3->1
    Geth roll 1d6

1d6 2 [1d6=2]

• Options
    Oh I know, but yellow would have to choose between summoning and desecrating, and if red builds a gate they'll only have 1 left

• Options
    Produce Undead for desecreating.
    Pick Zin Gaya for spellbook

• Options
  • Options
    go hastur go

I loves me some yeller king

• Options
    edited May 2015
    More gates! The world shall choke on her offspring!

Build a gate in East Africa, with the cultist controlling it.

4 -> 1

@Preda

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Uhh, gates cost 3?

• Options
    yes indeed o_O

• Options
    Sorry! The guide didn't specify costs.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Oops. Forgot the new faction sheets don't have action costs on them. Put them into the action phase description.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Board
    664dpCp.png
    Player status
    Great Cthulhu
    Yx6Mqxz.jpg
    Spellbooks-

Devolve (Ongoing): At the end of any player's Action (even if it's not your turn), transform one or more of your Acolyte Cultists anywhere on the map into Deep Ones.

Absorb (Pre-Battle): Remove any of your non-GOO units from the area. For each such unit, the Shoggoth adds 3 to his Combat.

Regenerate (Battle): Star Spawn can accept up to 2 combat results. If they are both kills, it dies. On ANY other combination, it is pained.

Submerge (Action: Cost 1): If Cthulhu is in an Ocean Area, remove him from the map and place him on your Faction card, along with any or all friendly Units in the same area. On a later Action, perform Submerge again to place Cthulhu (plus any accompanying Units) anywhere on the map.

Dreams (Action: Cost 3): Choose an area with enemy Acolyte Cultists. Your enemy must eliminate an Acolyte Cultist (chosen by victim) and replace it with one of yours from your pool.

Y'ha Nthlei (Ongoing): If Cthulhu is in play you get 1 power for each Gate in an Ocean area that you do not control. (uncontrolled Gates do not count, because everyone gets one
    power from them anyway, but Yog-Sothoth does count).

Crawling Chaos
    Cthulhu%2BWars%2B-%2BReference%2BCard%2B-%2BCrawling%2BChaos.JPG

Spellbooks-

Abduct (Pre-Battle): Eliminate a Nightgaunt, your foe must eliminate a non-GOO unit in the same area.

Invisibility (Pre-Battle): Each Flying Polyp can select one non-GOO to be sidelined, and not take part in the battle.

Seek and Destroy (Pre-Battle): Whenever a battle is declared in which one of your units participates, you may move any or all of your Hunting Horrors on the board to the location of the battle.

Madness (Ongoing): Whenever there is a combat anywhere on the map, you may choose where units that are pained move to.

Emissary of the Outer Gods (Ongoing): Nyarlathotep must be in play; Unless an enemy Great Old One is in the battle, any kill inflicted on Nyarlathotep becomes a pain.

The Thousand Forms (Once-Per-Action-Round: Cost 0): Nyarlathotep must be in play; roll 1d6 and all other players have one minute to decide if they will lose that much power. If they decide not to lose the Power, Nyarlathotep gains that much Power.

Black Goat
    pFMfi5p.jpg

Spellbooks-

Frenzy (Ongoing): Cultists have a Combat of 1.

Necrophagy (Post-Battle): Move any or all Ghouls to that battle and apply an additional pain result to each side for each Ghoul so moved. Ghouls that are already in the combat cannot participate in Necrophagy.

Ghroth (Action: Cost 2): Roll a die. If the result is equal to or less than the number of areas containing Fungi, then your enemies must collectively lose that many Acolyte Cultists from the map. If they can't decide in one minute do it for them.

Blood Sacrifice (Ongoing): Each Doom Phase you may sacrifice 1 Cultist to get an Elder Sign. Shub-Niggurath must be in play.

The Thousand Young (Ongoing): Shub-Niggurath must be in play. All Ghouls, Fungi, and Dark Young cost 1 less power to summon.

Yellow Sign
    y21iy7N.jpg
    Spellbooks-

Passion (Ongoing): When one of your Cultists is eliminated by an enemy Action (Captured, Killed, Etc.) during the Action phase, gain 1 Power.

Zin Gaya (Action: Cost 1): In an area with an Undead and an enemy Acolyte Cultist replace that Acolyte Cultist with another Undead.

Shriek of the Byakhee (Action: Cost 1): Move any or all Byakhee on the map to any single area on the map.

The Screaming Dead (Action: Cost 1): Move the King in Yellow and any Undead in the same area to a neighboring area, you may immediately perform a second, different action (may not perform He Who Must Not Be Named as the second action).

He Who Must Not Be Named (Action: Cost 1): Hastur immediately moves to an area on the map with a Cultist. He may then perform a second, different action (may not perform The Screaming Dead as the second action).

The Third Eye (Ongoing): Hastur must be in play; Desecrate costs only 1 Power to perform, and grants you an Elder Sign when successful.

Cthulhu: 1
    Yellow sign: 1
    Black goat: 1
    Crawling choas: 3 current turn

MrBody on
  • Options
    I've already srewed all my play, doing the exact opposite of what I should have, so let's end in the same way...

Let's combat in north pacific... 3->2

No pre-combat abilities yet, so let's roll...

Geth, roll 2d6.

• Options
    Trying again...

Geth, roll 2d6

2d6 10 [2d6=5, 5]

• Options
    Double pain, exactly what I didn't want...

@Phyphor to respond...

• Options
    Die roll is simultaneous. When attacking you can just roll for both sides.

• Options
    OK...

Geth, roll 3d6 for Gratuitus violence from the Starspawn...

Gratuitus violence from the Starspawn:
    3d6 11 [3d6=5, 1, 5]

• Options
    Double pain again! everyone runs away, leaving the space clean!

I run with both units to Indian ocean.

• Options
    Feeling a bit inadequate as the only group of crazed zealots without a wakened eldtrich monstrosity to worship.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Feeling a bit inadequate as the only group of crazed zealots without a wakened eldtrich monstrosity to worship.

the black mother is everywhere how dare you sir how dare you

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Is everyone fine telling the monsters apart? I could put roman numerals I-III on them to denote which one (relative to the sheet list) they are.

• Options
    Well shit. You had like a 1 in 10 chance!

• Options
    @PHYPHOR to retreat his units