As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    so indycar drivers have been solo crashing all week, even moreso than usual. This is going to be one of "those races". In that someone is going to die or be severely injured. They've already put a restrictor plate on them and they're still leaving the road.

openwheel oval racing sucks balls and I wish they would just stop

I'm hoping that running race aero packages will help a lot, seems like a lot of news/auto-journo outlets are speculating that it's the changes being made to aero kits for qualifying that are causing flips.

problem is the race aero package is completely untested in a live event and also the indy aero package is still relatively low downforce

Dis gun be gud.

And by that, I mean this is going to end terribly. I know I'll be tuning in though.

Edit: Ah shit, James Hinchcliffe has been hospitalized and is undergoing surgery related to a thigh injury after wrecking this morning. If you watch the video, his car almost flips after hitting the wall.

His suspension pushrod broke, not aero related.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    When I was at BMW Welt last fall, they had a section about their advertising history, and this was one of the selected ads:

VoOrgRxl.jpg

My next car is gonna have a HUD.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Anyone know if something like this would give comparable sound quality to 2 x 4" speakers mounted next to each other? I want to put some front speakers into the Alfa without hacking into the dashboard, and there's a central spot behind the gear shifter that I reckon I can put a little box in without having to drill into anything.

It really depends on what you mean by sound quality, and what kind of 4 inch speakers we're talking about. That one long bass driver will likely move more air than two 4 inch round drivers, but it will also be flexy which will affect the quality of the bass the speaker outputs. If you're not interested in car audio SQL competions, go with the one big unit.

Yea I'm not after ridiculous levels, and there's a pair of 6" in the rear parcel shelf to back things up. It's more for clarity for when I'm listening to podcasts.

I wonder if I should tuck a little amp in somewhere too... Reasonable?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Anyone know if something like this would give comparable sound quality to 2 x 4" speakers mounted next to each other? I want to put some front speakers into the Alfa without hacking into the dashboard, and there's a central spot behind the gear shifter that I reckon I can put a little box in without having to drill into anything.

It really depends on what you mean by sound quality, and what kind of 4 inch speakers we're talking about. That one long bass driver will likely move more air than two 4 inch round drivers, but it will also be flexy which will affect the quality of the bass the speaker outputs. If you're not interested in car audio SQL competions, go with the one big unit.

Yea I'm not after ridiculous levels, and there's a pair of 6" in the rear parcel shelf to back things up. It's more for clarity for when I'm listening to podcasts.

I wonder if I should tuck a little amp in somewhere too... Reasonable?

Yeah it should be simple to pop a little 4 channel amp under the front passenger seat.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    suspected it when I saw the video yesterday but James Hinchecliffe barely escaped death yesterday after a piece of suspension pierced his leg like a bullet and buried itself in his opposite side upper thigh

He won't be racing anytime soon, and he was one of the top names to be rumored for an F1 seat next year with the new US team

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Well that's a real shame and I'm glad he's ok. He was one my my favorite drivers in the series.

It's going to be very interesting come this Fall when Haas F1 announces it's drivers. The only US driver with a Superlicense is Alexander Rossi, and the only eligible Indy driver is Ryan Hunter-Reay but he would still need to earn 30 FIA points this season to even qualify for next year. Under the current F1 Superlicense rules there are very few young drivers who meet the qualifications to earn a Superlicense, so the chances of an American let alone someone from the North American continent getting a drive are pretty slim. Will Buxton has an excellent article about this https://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2015/05/13/genes-genies/

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    I think Bottas and Ricciardo will be duking it out for the Ferrari seat. If Bottas wins then Kimi drives for Haas as the #1

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

To be honest you could save a bit of cash and skip the amp.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I had to shift on the drive home this afternoon, but as I pressed the clutch pedal I felt and heard a snap, then I was unable to put the stick into any gear. I was able to get it into gear by rolling, then carefully made it home.

No visible damage, but the clutch cable was pretty loose. I tightened it what seemed like a reasonable spot, and now it drives fine. In fact, the clutch feels better and smoother than it has in years.

I replaced the clutch cable myself two years ago in an attempt to fix the creaky, crusty feeling clutch, but that actually had no effect at the time. I'm taking it to a mechanic in the morning.

640qocnq4ske.gif
    Maybe something in it wasn't seated properly and just now thunked into place?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fun fact: I can't listen to Highway Star while I'm driving without driving fast

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My sister ended up buying a used 2015 Mazda CX-5. I'm a little bit jelly.

I guess the washer pump didn't work when they were going to leave the dealership so they're fixing that and delivering it to her. Considering that she bought it near Chicago and that's like an hour's drive, I'd say her dealer is making it right for her.

2015, used?

The mind boggles.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    2015, used?

The mind boggles.

Older people buying cars then karking it. The town where my parents live the average age is around 75. The local dealerships are clogged with 1/2/3 year old cars that older people have bought, driven 50 miles in then passed away

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    The washer in my Alfa doesn't work either. It's a foot button that I figured was a button for the electricity to run a pump and the wipers. Nope, it's actually a pump that is foot actuated, then you just use the wiper switch afterwards. Now I have to fix it, it's too amusing not to.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Seriously you pump it with your foot to spray your windshield? That would be awesome

Dixon on
    Dixon wrote: »
    Seriously you pump it with your foot to spray your windshield? That would be awesome

Right?! Reviving it is my mission. Well, one of them. It's on my list of things to do, anyway.

2015, used?

The mind boggles.

The dealership told her that the only reason the previous owner traded it in was because they liked the interior on the new 2016 models better.

She let me drive it yesterday. I don't have any need for a crossover or small SUV, but boy does that Mazda drive nicely. Took me a second to get used to the gas pedal being hinged on the floor. You get a whole lot of car for the money, but I've been spoiled by an 8.4" infotainment screen and UConnect. Mazda's interface isn't bad, but trying to navigate a ~5" screen is much more difficult while driving. Also the interior had more hard plastics than my mid-level Dart? I guess that's the trade-off for getting AWD and a physically much larger vehicle at a reasonable price. The cloth seats also looked a lot nicer in the Mazda.

2015, used?

The mind boggles.

The dealership told her that the only reason the previous owner traded it in was because they liked the interior on the new 2016 models better.

She let me drive it yesterday. I don't have any need for a crossover or small SUV, but boy does that Mazda drive nicely. Took me a second to get used to the gas pedal being hinged on the floor. You get a whole lot of car for the money, but I've been spoiled by an 8.4" infotainment screen and UConnect. Mazda's interface isn't bad, but trying to navigate a ~5" screen is much more difficult while driving. Also the interior had more hard plastics than my mid-level Dart? I guess that's the trade-off for getting AWD and a physically much larger vehicle at a reasonable price. The cloth seats also looked a lot nicer in the Mazda.

The CX5 is based off the 3 platform, so yeah it should be a pretty nice vehicle, and drive quite well for an SUV/crossover.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Guy at the machine shop for the blown head gasket is concerned that with the high miles on my car that even if they fix everything it'll end up sucking the seals out of the engine (that's not a direct quote and I may be butchering it) and just end up roasting the engine.

I now have two mechanics telling me that the best solution is a new engine.

Do I roll the dice and go for a third opinion?

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Unless you are absolutely unable to live with an unexpected dud car for a couple weeks, the worst you can currently do is blow your engine the fuck up, in which case you would also require a new engine.

Why not reseal and throw some extra miles on what you already have, unless every seal, connection and cam is a shambles. A head gasket is made from rubber, it's not a hard material job. You pay the cash to have a guy take your engine 1/5th apart, scrape the old sealant and gasket off and put a new one on.

Note, I am not a mechanic.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I need halp, guys.

I bought myself a car here in SA and am trying to find an owner's manual for it, but so far failing. I think maybe the same model has an alternative name which would make it easier but I can't figure out what.

The car is a Honda Ballade 150, and from looking at Wikipedia I think its year is between 1984 and '87, because it says "Known in South Africa as the SC9, or informally as the "popup" as to not confuse it with the SH4. This particular model had motorised eyelids which popped up when the main head light were switched on." and Boris (my car) does have the eyelids.

I think I can maybe get a manual for a Honda Civic that would be good enough, but I can't work out what model Civic would equate to Boris. Can anyone help me out here?

Seems that it's basically a Civic sedan, so it should be mechanically similar. The font of all knowledge also suggests that it has some CR-X parts in the front end (so steering and suspension I guess) along with the same engine if it's the EX-i model. If it has a carburetter it's seems it's a similar engine, and would supposedly still have the CR-X parts.

In terms of different names, it doesn't seem like that exact model was sold elsewhere under different names, rather there's a few cars that shared some of the same parts.

Unless you are absolutely unable to live with an unexpected dud car for a couple weeks, the worst you can currently do is blow your engine the fuck up, in which case you would also require a new engine.

Why not reseal and throw some extra miles on what you already have, unless every seal, connection and cam is a shambles. A head gasket is made from rubber, it's not a hard material job. You pay the cash to have a guy take your engine 1/5th apart, scrape the old sealant and gasket off and put a new one on.

Note, I am not a mechanic.

I think you might have cam cover gaskets and cylinder head gaskets confused. A head gasket is a much bigger job than a cam cover gasket.

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Started seeing some MB GLA's in the wild, they're pretty neat looking for a small SUV. The AMG model looks quite fun as well.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Guys...I'm seriously considering buying this.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47513.0

Not for any particular love of DBZ, but because I'm getting sick of burning/freezing my hand on my current metal shift knob. Yes I could put the stock shift knob back on, but that just seems backwards.

Will acrylic be any better?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Reminds me too much of dildo shifters. Wrap yours in leather

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    ICUb wrote: »
    Started seeing some MB GLA's in the wild, they're pretty neat looking for a small SUV. The AMG model looks quite fun as well.

Man those look neat. Anyone got 50grand laying around I can have?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    FFFFFuck

I wish I had spent more time earlier this month trying to learn highway driving and saved some cash.

I forgot that Mastodon was playing Detroit Last night and Columbus tonight.

Decius wrote: »
    Guys...I'm seriously considering buying this.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47513.0

Not for any particular love of DBZ, but because I'm getting sick of burning/freezing my hand on my current metal shift knob. Yes I could put the stock shift knob back on, but that just seems backwards.

Will acrylic be any better?

Any shift knob will get hot and cold in the respective weather conditions, it's just that plastic will adjust to your hand temperature much much faster than aluminium. Leather is still the best though.

edited May 2015
    Ung, I came across a listing for a new Fiesta ST in the color I'd like and specced how I'd like for less than $20k. For sale within Michigan but it's like a 3 hour drive.

It would not be prudent to trade in my Dart at this time, but gosh is it something I am considering.

jgeis on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man if the Fiesta was a liiittttlllle bit bigger I would be all over it.

Then again...I could lost weight....

edited May 2015
    I had a rental Fiesta while in Los Angeles last month. I found that it was a pretty comfortable car for my fat ass (I'm 6'1" and about 290lbs). I could do with one more notch in the seat rails though, my legs weren't exactly cramped but it wasn't a perfect fit. Certainly livable, and I imagine that using a clutch in that position would be very nice.

The only complaint I really had with the Fiesta was the auto transmission, and that wouldn't be part of the equation with an ST. It was a really fun little car even in SE trim and I can only imagine how great the ST drives. I really need to get some behind the wheel time with one.

jgeis on

The Focus?

the focus is a lot a bit bigger

the fiesta is a legit compact car. the focus is bigger than a BMW 5 from the 90s

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

The Focus?

Focus is waaay bigger.

Basically, if there was an inch or two behind the driver seat for my passengers then the Fiesta would be perfect. Especially now that I'm no longer driving 13 hours through the middle of a snow covered Midwestern nowhere.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Car shopping...glee.

Anyone here taken a ride in any of the following: BRZ/FR-S, Golf R, Mini Countryman?

Beyond that, I'm looking at trying to find a WRX hatch. Other contenders are: FIAT 500 Abarth, and a MazdaSpeed3

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The Mini is a bit pudgy, the FR-S is fun, and the Golf R is insanity as moderated by being well-priced and German

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The MazdaSpeed3 and Golf R are easily the most practical of the lot, too

This discussion has been closed.