As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - The Opening

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
The Opening

The Opening
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/the-opening

No Entry

Anonymous

One year out of university and still unemployed, I managed to land a temp contract through an agency for games testing. I was well aware of what “playing games all day” really meant but even so…

First issue was the other recruits. The hiring agency had taken the approach of accepting anyone who’d wandered off the street during the week before the project’s start date and figuratively throwing them against the wall to see who stuck. Some were fresh-faced school-leavers like me, some had never used computers before, some were here in order to satisfy demands from their local job center in exchange for their benefits continuing. There was a local drug dealer who had people pay him in iPhones if they didn’t have cash, there were the two girls who took frequent smoke breaks to go snort cocaine in the toilets, the guy who just played online Flash games without even trying to hide the pew-pew-pew sound effects from the supervisors.

It was a browser-based social game and I made it through the first week of debugging webpages & documentation for it and then came working on the actual game. We were tasked with writing test scripts that we’d then swap with other testers who would follow our scripts step-by-step to see if some aspect or task was working as it should. There was one problem: we weren’t allowed access to the game. Three times I tried pointing out the issue with that with the supervisor but he seemed genuinely befuddled as to what problems there could be. So I went to work writing a test script for selecting an inventory item in a game I’d never seen. As a gamer I at least had some past examples to guide me. Step one I guess would be pressing a button ingame that takes you to a character menu? Then I assumed there’d be separate menus for each character option and one of those would be labelled ‘Items’ like in an RPG. Were weapons a separate item from healing potions? Did this game even have equippable weapons? Could you go to this hypothetical menu during battle? This game has battles with other players, right? Or are we just tending our own instances and then swapping loot online at the end?

Anyway, two weeks after paying us to write gibberish it came to testing and they realised their mistake. Next day we were given logins for the game. It was worse than the imagined one I’d been writing test scripts for.

Geth on

• Options
    RedactedProfileRedactedProfile Burnaby, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I. I don't.. quite know what's happening here

What has Issac frozen in his shoes for? What am I missing here? Is he afraid the project will dismantle because other people know about it?

RedactedProfile on
  • Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    I think it's a take on the classic "oh my god I'm frozen I'm in love this random woman I just saw" gag.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    What seriously? Like 8 strips ago we had a two-parter about Isaac complaining how he wanted to get to know two women who worked in HR but had no opening to start a conversation, and now he's stunned at overhearing two female coworkers discussing their love of the series he's testing the next installment for (but isn't supposed to talk about). It just occurred to him he could use this as his icebreaker, but it could get him in trouble. Man, @Gaslight was right; everyone complains about how they'd been avoiding storylines, but when they try to do one you can't follow it.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    What seriously? Like 8 strips ago we had a two-parter about Isaac complaining how he wanted to get to know two women who worked in HR but had no opening to start a conversation, and now he's stunned at overhearing two female coworkers discussing their love of the series he's testing the next installment for (but isn't supposed to talk about). It just occurred to him he could use this as his icebreaker, but it could get him in trouble. Man, @Gaslight was right; everyone complains about how they'd been avoiding storylines, but when they try to do one you can't follow it.

That was 8 strips ago, like 100 years in internet time. You expect everyone to remember shit that happened 100 years ago? do you? 50 years maybe, 99 perhaps, but 100? Hell no

Truth be entirely told, I had since waaaay forgotten about that whole thing, thank you for bringing it back to my attention while also being a bit of a dick about it. I am now informed, that thing i mentioned I was missing is now found.

RedactedProfile on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Yeah, awhile after posting that I had second thoughts about how the tone might read. Didn't mean to be harsh, just chuckling because it was almost exactly like Gaslight commented in an earlier Trenches thread where everyone was complaining about the lack of a storyline lately (that back when they had stories, everyone complained about not being able to keep track of it). Sorry about that.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Admiral what do you think? You think it's a trap right?
    tumblr_n2b2bbcvpx1qfk3mco1_1280.jpg?.jpg

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Re: No Entry

a ray of sunshine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, awhile after posting that I had second thoughts about how the tone might read. Didn't mean to be harsh, just chuckling because it was almost exactly like Gaslight commented in an earlier Trenches thread where everyone was complaining about the lack of a storyline lately (that back when they had stories, everyone complained about not being able to keep track of it). Sorry about that.

I'm guilty of that too, no worries buddy

I've been "Following " the story for the most part, enjoying it even, I though find that maybe this new format is trying to shoehorn in a few to many subthreads all at once, as while the writing to Trenches had always been a little off kilter, I'm apparently beginning to forget entire themes here...

RedactedProfile on
  • Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    If the Trenches had a strip that was an accurate treasure map to the actual Holy Grail, people would still complain about it.

"Holy Grail is too far away from me"
    "Ugh, hate the art style"
    "Isaac's unsympathetic"

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I think the issue is that execution of it is rather poor here. The continuity has been so spare and sporadic, it's hard to tell when an intentional callback is being made.

The general flow of the dialog is also awkward here. Isaac confuses a distant, distinct voice (unless Marley sounds just like one of these two women) cutting Marley off mid sentence for Marley's? OK... And as RP mentioned, it's not clear that the women are talking about a prior game in the black box series and not the one the regular crew is referring to.