As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Guys...I'm seriously considering buying this.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47513.0

Not for any particular love of DBZ, but because I'm getting sick of burning/freezing my hand on my current metal shift knob. Yes I could put the stock shift knob back on, but that just seems backwards.

Will acrylic be any better?

Any shift knob will get hot and cold in the respective weather conditions, it's just that plastic will adjust to your hand temperature much much faster than aluminium. Leather is still the best though.

Alternatively: wear driving gloves.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Yea, the Speed3, R, and WRX hatch are my top choices.

Right now I can only find the Speed3 in a price that I'm willing to swallow...so it's clearly at the head of all of this. I would really like AWD, but can live without it I suppose. I've just gotten very used to not being able to be stopped in terms of weather, terrain, etc.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Car shopping...glee.

Anyone here taken a ride in any of the following: BRZ/FR-S, Golf R, Mini Countryman?

Beyond that, I'm looking at trying to find a WRX hatch. Other contenders are: FIAT 500 Abarth, and a MazdaSpeed3
    Disregard others, acquire WRX.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The BRZ was a lot of fun, when I was buying a car a few months ago my friend let me take his around...so much fun

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Car shopping...glee.

Anyone here taken a ride in any of the following: BRZ/FR-S, Golf R, Mini Countryman?

Beyond that, I'm looking at trying to find a WRX hatch. Other contenders are: FIAT 500 Abarth, and a MazdaSpeed3
    Disregard others, acquire WRX.

Easier said than done. My last car was a WRX and I did so love it.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    What about a Focus/Fiesta ST or a GTI (however from what I've read the performance pack version is in extremely short supply).

That's a big spread of cars and price ranges too, from mid-20's up to or over 40k for the 2015 Golf R. That also puts you into Mustang GT money and not too far off from BMW m235i if you're in the 32-40k range.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    If Jalopnik has taught me anything, you should get a used S Class for the price of a Camry.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    well... you can get an S-class shaped car with all the electronics dead

• Options
    As nice as an S Class is and as much as a I hate Camry's I still probably take the Camry just because of the potential repair costs of the Mercedes. But ugh a Camry.

It must be down to my family driving Honda's while I was growing up but I'll always prefer the Accord to the Camry. They're both such similar, milquetoast cars but I have an almost irrational dislike of the Camry. That said, if I was in the market for a mid-size sedan I'd probably get a Mazda 6.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Nope. WRX.

Just get the WRX.

Have you got the WRX yet?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    I'll vouch for a Speed3 as a car and being able to perform in a Canadian winter perfectly well but if I hadn't gotten a really good deal on mine I would have gotten a WRX.

Like, if you're looking for non-joke opinions.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Oh hey, was reminded of you @Bear is Driving yesterday. I saw a Nissan Figaro turning at an intersection I was at here. They look interesting.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Ahh fuck I don't even want to talk about it right now. I haven't even taken possession of it yet and I'm already in a waiting hell for some parts to come. When it turned up in Ontario a few weeks ago I guess the service guy decided they were going to change the tie rods and some ball joints before they let me drive it off their lot which I appreciate but I've been dealing with the sales people most of the time and they keep giving me shit estimates (ie. "oh next Saturday for sure" three weeks running) which has done nothing for my patience.

So today I decided to just call the service department guy who is going to try and get me a delivery estimate that didn't get pulled out of someone's ass tomorrow.

And if I don't get a satisfactory answer tomorrow I'm going to demonstrate that the law degrees hanging on my office wall aren't for fucking show.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I'll vouch for a Speed3 as a car and being able to perform in a Canadian winter perfectly well but if I hadn't gotten a really good deal on mine I would have gotten a WRX.

Like, if you're looking for non-joke opinions.
    I drove a dozen cars back in 2006 before settling on the WRX. My only regret is that I waited until 2014 to get an STI.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Oh hey, was reminded of you @Bear is Driving yesterday. I saw a Nissan Figaro turning at an intersection I was at here. They look interesting.

I wonder how many weeks you have to drive one before you stop humming the Opera every time you get in.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yea, the Speed3, R, and WRX hatch are my top choices.

Right now I can only find the Speed3 in a price that I'm willing to swallow...so it's clearly at the head of all of this. I would really like AWD, but can live without it I suppose. I've just gotten very used to not being able to be stopped in terms of weather, terrain, etc.

Maintenance is expensive on the Golf R, the regular WRX can be a touch sluggish (go the STI!), and the Speed3 is a little unrefined compared to the Golf R.

I say get an FR-S and a supercharger kit fitted. And some decent lightweight wheels (to fit over the Brembo big brake package) and fat sticky tyres. Also have the suspension rebushed with polyurethane and fit some KW Clubsport coilovers, and some Bride bucket seats and Willans 5-point harnesses to go with the bolt-in rollcage...

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Get an FR-S, they need the sales so that more like that get made. Basically it's our fault the Nissan IDx isn't going to happen because we're not buying like 10 FR-S/BRZ each.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Get an FR-S, they need the sales so that more like that get made. Basically it's our fault the Nissan IDx isn't going to happen because we're not buying like 10 FR-S/BRZ each.

The problem with the IDx is although it may look cool, specs wise it most definitely did not float my boat as a Silvia replacement.

• Options

The problem with the IDx is although it may look cool, specs wise it most definitely did not float my boat as a Silvia replacement.

I'm not sure it was meant to, as a retro-future datsun.

• Options
    Yeah, what the enthusiast market wants is a small and lightweight RWD coupe, that has potential for sporting use and modification. Like the Toyobaru.

• Options
    The BRZ/FR-S is something I'm certainly going to test drive. The fact that I can lay flat the rear seats means it might actually me sorta kinda practical.

Yes, I can afford an STi, no I will not be getting an STi. Also, a newer WRX (hell, even mine) is far from sluggish. I can afford a fair bit of things, but really I'm not looking at spending anything over $25k. Hell...$20k would be better still. Being beholden to a car payment, regardless of how nice the car is, is not something that makes a whole lot of financial sense when you can get something fun/reliable and put that money to other shit.

Someone mentioned the spread of price ranges. I should mention that none of the cars I'm considering are new, which narrows that range down significantly.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    $20K?

Fiesta ST maybe, if you can get some discounts and forgo a lot of options.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Fiesta ST? You can get a new ST for $20k, there's more than one just under $20k within a 3 hour's drive of me. The Fiesta ST is slowly starting to become my answer to everything car related. @Casually Hardcore the Fiesta ST doesn't really offer a lot in the way of options anyway, the only things that I would consider "big" options for some people are the Recaro seats, the power moonroof, and heated seats.

I haven't ever seen a used WRX that I would actually want to purchase. Too many modded, beat cars out there, leading to a bit of a tax on clean examples. I'm sure there are some great used WRX sitting on dealer lots, with the dealer used price premium.

• Options
    Yeah, what the enthusiast market wants is a small and lightweight RWD coupe, that has potential for sporting use and modification. Like the Toyobaru.

Shame they're not selling enough to warrant anyone else having a go!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love my tiguan but I would snatch up a Renault Twingo GT Turbo if they would bring it over here.

I love tiny cars.

• Options

Yep! If they'd just put a turbo 3.0 six cylinder in it for about 350 horsepower and 400 ft/lb of torque, they'd take a HUGE bite out of the sportscar market.

• Options
    Aka a new Supra. Something to compete with the Mustang GT and V8 Camaro. I'm be pretty interested in something like that.

Although, the Lexus RC is probably the closest we'll ever see to a modern Supra from Toyota.

• Options

Yep! If they'd just put a turbo 3.0 six cylinder in it for about 350 horsepower and 400 ft/lb of torque, they'd take a HUGE bite out of the sportscar market.

So basically make it a muscle car like the Supra rather than a little sports coupe? :P Then it would be bigger and heavier and on the IS platform.

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Aka a new Supra. Something to compete with the Mustang GT and V8 Camaro. I'm be pretty interested in something like that.

Although, the Lexus RC is probably the closest we'll ever see to a modern Supra from Toyota.

Nah a new Supra would need to be a proper range-topper for Toyota, something with a luxurious interior, a hybrid drivetrain, RIDICULOUS amounts of power...

Something physically bigger and with much less Subaru in it than the Toyobaru.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Toyota is still showing the FT-1 concept and have called out a $60k price range. That would likely be the new "Supra" if they ever bring it into production.

What we need is the return of the Celica as a mid-sized 2+2, so in between something like the Toyobaru and a Mustang, around 3200lbs? Make the base engine a supercharged/turbo version of the H4 in the Toyobaru, with the upmarket version getting a new twin-turbo H6 based on the H4, and call it the All-Trac and give it AWD.

Yeah.

jgeis on
  • Options

Nah a new Supra would need to be a proper range-topper for Toyota, something with a luxurious interior, a hybrid drivetrain, RIDICULOUS amounts of power...

Soo.. a Lexus?

• Options
    Quick update from yesterday's rage: the parts are indeed coming from Japan so it'll be a few more weeks yet because they only got ordered 2-3 weeks ago (ie. when the car landed in Ontario). That's a timeline that makes sense and I sort of wish I'd just been told that sooner.

He confirmed that it should be possible to order the parts through Nissan Canada and have them dropped off at a dealer or something but that for the JDM stuff they (Right Drive) usually deal with Japan directly because it's more likely someone there knows what is being discussed and will actually have the right parts sent over.

Otherwise the service guys thought the car was in alright shape which is a comfort since I basically bought the highest mileage/cheapest one that didn't have obvious dents.

• Options
    Quick update from yesterday's rage: the parts are indeed coming from Japan so it'll be a few more weeks yet because they only got ordered 2-3 weeks ago (ie. when the car landed in Ontario). That's a timeline that makes sense and I sort of wish I'd just been told that sooner.

He confirmed that it should be possible to order the parts through Nissan Canada and have them dropped off at a dealer or something but that for the JDM stuff they (Right Drive) usually deal with Japan directly because it's more likely someone there knows what is being discussed and will actually have the right parts sent over.

Otherwise the service guys thought the car was in alright shape which is a comfort since I basically bought the highest mileage/cheapest one that didn't have obvious dents.

They can't overnight parts from Japan? Casuals.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

The problem is that you throw them against the WRX/Mustang, they don't deliver enough value in power or usefulness.

• Options

Soo.. a Lexus?

Nah they had the LFA. So much hype, so much pricetag, so much barely making even a ripple in the hypercar market. Like the Mercedes McLaren SLR before it, mostly forgotten before they'd even sold them all.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    My inevitable Fiesta ST future is getting closer and closer

The Rio needs a new wheel bearing (~$400?) new front tires (~$150, woo 14" wheels) aaaaand the transmission is making a noise (something about a bearing wearing out) that neither of the mechanics I brought it to think is worth fixing, but could be fixed for $1,300

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Toyota is still showing the FT-1 concept and have called out a $60k price range. That would likely be the new "Supra" if they ever bring it into production.

What we need is the return of the Celica as a mid-sized 2+2, so in between something like the Toyobaru and a Mustang, around 3200lbs? Make the base engine a supercharged/turbo version of the H4 in the Toyobaru, with the upmarket version getting a new twin-turbo H6 based on the H4, and call it the All-Trac and give it AWD.

Yeah.

It sounds like you're describing the Genesis coupe, more or less

Wait, did they stop making it with a 2.0 turbo?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    spono wrote: »
    My inevitable Fiesta ST future is getting closer and closer

The Rio needs a new wheel bearing (~$400?) new front tires (~$150, woo 14" wheels) aaaaand the transmission is making a noise (something about a bearing wearing out) that neither of the mechanics I brought it to think is worth fixing, but could be fixed for $1,300

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I was in a similar situation last year with my old car. I could put $2000 into it to make it road legal or put that money towards a down payment on a new car. I was past the threshold of spending more money to fix a car than the car was actually worth. After 6 years of ownership I had already spent more in repairs on the car than I paid for the car itself, so I was very ready to be rid of the thing.

So far, a year into owning my new car, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Going from a car that was essentially a hand me down that became a money pit to one that I look forward to driving everyday is such a good feeling.

Cormac on
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »

The problem is that you throw them against the WRX/Mustang, they don't deliver enough value in power or usefulness.

Yea, but they're not really meant to. See also MX-5. Though I still agree there should be a BRZ STI. They already have a 300bhp version of that engine, just drop it in already!

Soo.. a Lexus?

Nah they had the LFA. So much hype, so much pricetag, so much barely making even a ripple in the hypercar market. Like the Mercedes McLaren SLR before it, mostly forgotten before they'd even sold them all.

No a Lexus, not an abberation. Luxurious, hybrid.. ok needs more power but you're describing a Lexus there.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Yea, but they're not really meant to. See also MX-5. Though I still agree there should be a BRZ STI. They already have a 300bhp version of that engine, just drop it in already!

Soo.. a Lexus?

No a Lexus, not an abberation. Luxurious, hybrid.. ok needs more power but you're describing a Lexus there.

MX-5 is a convertible-first with a cult following. It doesn't count.

This discussion has been closed.