As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm guessing it'll be more or less the same consoles then.

Either way, I see why Capcom isn't going to do a boxed release. Once you add it shipping, materials, store space that's kind of a lot for what seems to be a modest release.

Also, if its only 25 that saves me the angst over trying to choose between it and Batman.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Did y'all nerds hear this ain't getting a physical release in the west? :I

Guess I'm ordering from glorious nippon on this one.

Why do you want a physical release?

I like having a stack of games. A digital copy is 'less' somehow.

Besides, recent events have shown digital rights ain't shit. Maybe 6 months from now Capcom decides to scorch earth ala Konami, boom. DMC4 SE ceases to exist.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm guessing it'll be more or less the same consoles then.

Either way, I see why Capcom isn't going to do a boxed release. Once you add it shipping, materials, store space that's kind of a lot for what seems to be a modest release.

Also, if its only 25 that saves me the angst over trying to choose between it and Batman.

This makes sense, but! Japan is getting a couple eyebrow raising SKUs - a deluxe version with an artbook and a bunch of fluff, and an Xbone version. What'dya think they're expecting to sell on the Xbone in Japan.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Not a big deal to me since I rarely return games anyway.

That said I wonder if its going to be a full 60.

Kind of sucks for consoles if it is, it's only $25 on Steam.

Haven't checked page 2 yet, but it's listed as $25 on Xbone marketplace.

newSig.jpg
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Besides, recent events have shown digital rights ain't shit. Maybe 6 months from now Capcom decides to scorch earth ala Konami, boom. DMC4 SE ceases to exist.

Are you talking about P.T.? 'Cause that's a terrible example.

IS IT!?

...just kidding. I know it is. ;P

How about Deadpool? It was available for just 6 months before being pulled from the digital market due to an expired license. My point is, digital games are ephemeral. I can still go get a disk copy of Deadpool any time I like.

But all that is secondary to me just liking a disk more than a desktop icon. It's part of the vidya experience for me, and it bums me out that we're missing out on this one, while DmC Definitive Edition got it.

Oh brilliant
    I tend to look at the bigger picture. For every game that's been lost due to licensing issues with digital distribution there are dozens (and dozens) of games that we wouldn't see at all without digital distribution. It's better than an all-retail-or-nothing solution.

Who wants 'all retail'? I'd want both, as is standard. :P

I only posted about it at all cause I was surprised. If anything, recent physical releases like inFamous First Light and Wolfenstein Old Blood have been showing there's still a demand for retail over digital copies. Japan's getting multiple SKUs, not some limited edition runs, and even printing physical copies for the Xbone, which has gotta have next to zero demand.

It makes it seem less like a budgetary concern, and more like there's something preventing them doing it. And if I was to get all tinfoil hat about it, I'd go with something related to DmC DE...

Oh brilliant
    I know you weren't really saying that. Though I have talked to people who simply refuse to buy anything but a physical release, even in the case of smaller titles that can't afford physical releases. Overall, I'm just thankful that there's a middle ground between physical release and no release at all.

But generally, when given the choice, I buy physical unless there is a huge discount for digital (or it was free on PS+).

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I tend to buy digital because hahahahaha retail in australia AHAHAHAHAHA *sob*

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I tend to buy digital because hahahahaha retail in australia AHAHAHAHAHA *sob*

rip australian dreams

obF2Wuw.png
  • MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular

Welp, that explains why neither Gamestop nor Amazon had any listing for the game less than a month before launch.

But didn't they already announce some pre-order bonus costumes?

Or are bonuses for digital pre-orders a thing now?

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Welp, that explains why neither Gamestop nor Amazon had any listing for the game less than a month before launch.

It's been a thing for years.

Ho shit, the cheevos are out, and they are brutal.

Looking forward to these, imagine they'll be huge roadblocks;
    Ruthless Efficiency - Clear Bloody Palace Under 2 Hours
    Untouchable - Defeat Dante in the Bloody Palace without taking any damage.

You also gotta clear each boss with an SSS combo going. I never did get gud at Sanctus, so that should be interesting.

Not really stoked about the difficulty trophies though. Clear the game over n' over n' over on every difficulty to get an S on each mission. I mean, could be worse! Could be SSS each mission! But still. Gonna be tough.

Oh brilliant
    I definitely will not be getting all of those achievements. I've never even finished Bloody Palace without super mode. S-ranked Dante Must Die, though.
    I mean, could be worse! Could be SSS each mission! But still. Gonna be tough.

The mission ranks in DMC4 only go up to S.

Peewi wrote: »
    I definitely will not be getting all of those achievements. I've never even finished Bloody Palace without super mode. S-ranked Dante Must Die, though.
    I mean, could be worse! Could be SSS each mission! But still. Gonna be tough.

The mission ranks in DMC4 only go up to S.

IIRC it grades you on style, time and... orbs? Then it averages them into a final grade. It'd be tougher maxing all 3 categories than getting an average S, right? ;P

Oh brilliant
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Nero could clear both of those easily.
    He can AI cheese dante to a gauranteed kill and if you are a dab hand with the max acting and his devil trigger special moves you could obliterate it in under 2 hours easy.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    I remember trying to play this back when it came out, not being able to figure out how the hell Nero was ~supposed~ to be played, got frustrated and haven't played since. Might give this a shot though.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Nero is actually kind of simple, imo.

At least on a basic level.

Not to say he isn't very effective though.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    When will this be available? I'm excited- this is the only one I've never played.

June 23

He can AI cheese dante to a gauranteed kill and if you are a dab hand with the max acting and his devil trigger special moves you could obliterate it in under 2 hours easy.

You might be over estimating the average players skill level. :p

I think I could do it, I don't think it'll be easy.

Oh brilliant
  • DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Maybe Capcom will see this easily outsell DmC (which from what I've heard wouldn't be terribly hard to do) and they'll finally take a step back and catch even the faintest glimpse of what their fans actually would like to have from them.
    Hahaha, I know...

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Maybe Capcom will see this easily outsell DmC (which from what I've heard wouldn't be terribly hard to do) and they'll finally take a step back and catch even the faintest glimpse of what their fans actually would like to have from them.
    Hahaha, I know...

I'm pretty sure this is the entire reason that Capcom commissioned this Special Edition. DMC didn't sell as well as expected, so they're trying to see if the brand itself is dead or if it's just that DMC wasn't what fans of the series wanted.

• DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Hahaha, I know...

I'm pretty sure this is the entire reason that Capcom commissioned this Special Edition. DMC didn't sell as well as expected, so they're trying to see if the brand itself is dead or if it's just that DMC wasn't what fans of the series wanted.

Dare I hope?

If they could get DMC and RE back on a more classic track, I think that's all I could ever want from them.

Maybe do something with Onimusha if I'm allowed to be greedy.

edited May 2015

You might be over estimating the average players skill level. :p

I think I could do it, I don't think it'll be easy.

No dante really is that easy. You can loop him with about three moves and there's nothing he can do about it until he dies.
    Less than two hours, yeah sure, not easy, but dante? Easy. For anyone.
    It wont be stylish.
    But it will get you no damage.

Morninglord on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    unless theyve changed dantes ai hes a shit boss and retardo easy to break

im hoping they revamped that tho

obF2Wuw.png
    He's pretty fun if you abstain from deliberately locking him into loops.
    But yeah he's pretty easy to obliterate with Nero.
    Personally I've never beaten shadow dante with dante. He always annihilates me.
    Once he summoned pandora on me.
    I didn't even know he could do that.

i dislike the way he behaves. hes too raw and he reacts to ur input too much and this causes him to feel unsastisfying, especially in comparison to stuff like vergil from dmc3

obF2Wuw.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Average digital download for PS4 eats like $20 worth of my internet. I live in the twilight zone, surrounded on all sides by excellent internet-access, just out of reach, across the street.

PLA wrote: »
    Average digital download for PS4 eats like $20 worth of my internet. I live in the twilight zone, surrounded on all sides by excellent internet-access, just out of reach, across the street.

Import it from Japan! ;D

Oh brilliant
    Well, it wouldn't be a challenge if it was e
    PLA wrote: »

Seeing as DMC4 is a last gen game I'm sure it'll probably only be half the size of a PS4 game.

It's 21gb.

Oh brilliant
    Oh, I stand corrected.

Oh, I stand corrected.

theyre doing wat they did with metal gear rising which was like 27gb or something absurd

they just decompress the textures and call it a day lel

obF2Wuw.png
    I can't actually find an official source for that, might just be a rumour / size for PC!

Hey one feature I'm pretty surprised we don't seem to be getting - full game playthrough options for all characters. Seems like the main game you still only play first half Nero, second half Dante. Vergil gets to play the whole game, both Nero and Dante's levels. Lady and Trish similarly split the game, though I'm not sure who gets which levels.

I guess it makes sense if not all characters have the traversal options they'd need to get through the base game levels. Dante can't use Nero's buster grab, so can't do his levels, but Vergil can use summon swords to teleport, just like in DmC. And Lady can probably use Kalina Ann's knife grapple to do the same thing?

Oh brilliant
    Oh, I stand corrected.

theyre doing wat they did with metal gear rising which was like 27gb or something absurd

The vast majority of Revengeance's file size is from prerendered cutscenes, judging by the file structure of the PC version.

Oh, I stand corrected.

The vast majority of Revengeance's file size is from prerendered cutscenes, judging by the file structure of the PC version.

ya some quick reading indicates its lots of uncompressed big video which is even weirder

o well yolo

obF2Wuw.png
    edited May 2015

i dislike the way he behaves. hes too raw and he reacts to ur input too much and this causes him to feel unsastisfying, especially in comparison to stuff like vergil from dmc3

He does, but you can trick him and catch him out, so it feels like a mindgame. At the start of the fight you can hit him with something a few times, after that he starts countering you. If you do a variety of different moves for a while then do it again you can actually hit him again with the previous thing.

Also I don't mind reactive enemies as long as they're not unbeatable. Like, sometimes he will get into a loop where he jumps and helmbreakers. If you jump and helm breaker, then he jumps and helmbreakers again. You get this loop of both doing nigh instant helm breakers.
    But, if you have the patience of a goddam rock, he breaks first and gets hit.

He has a lot of that stuff and it makes fighting him feel furious, like you are in the middle of one of those standard platinum mashing punches qtes only you have to manually input every punch to counter every punch.
    Shit gets crazy really quickly.

I'm actually not a super big fan of bosses that never react even when you beat them down, but keep doing the same attacks over and over and all you can do is punish.

I like that you have to get through his defenses and that he counters you, because then you have to think several steps ahead.

https://youtu.be/WeG9z2lffoY?t=6m17s

This fight has a lot of that furious stuff I was talking about.

I also like how hard he is to no damage.
    Although it can be done with the right strategy.

https://youtu.be/0Z1xY9BnzuM?t=1m43s

Hmm the timestamps aren't working properly.

Should be 6m17s for the first and 1m43s for the second.

Morninglord on
  • MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular

It's been a thing for years.

Well.

Blech.

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
    I'm hoping the Japanese release has English options. IIRC the original DMC4 was like a universal disk or something, it set its language according to your consoles region. Hoping its the same deal here!

The Asia region DMC4SE says it has English options, but I goobed and got the Japanese region by mistake, and PlayAsia says it only has Japanese voice and text. Asked on Capcom Unity for clarification, not overly hopeful for a response, they seem to answer every 1 in 10. ;p

Oh brilliant