As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Traveling has fucked with my schedule. I should probably go for a run now while i have the chance. On the other hand my knee is twinging enough that I had dreams about it (not useful ones), so that sucks. Also I'm hungover.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    today I skipped distance and went and found the biggest hill nearby and ran up it

I'm gonna go die now

knee was fine, think it was residual ache from enforced sitting in plane. The hangover, however, was not great.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    My body ideal is healthy knees and a strong back. I'm kinda squishy right now, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Fuck off and die.
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    200.5 pounds

so close

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I should probably get back to being tight on my diet for next few weeks
    Got a beach wedding mid June you know

poo
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    tsplitter wrote: »
    200.5 pounds

so close

I'm in the same boat right now

I was at 203 this morning

Reaaaaally want to see that scale finally below 200

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I SQUAT YOU DUDES!

Fuck off and die.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Man, I think I worked out harder than I have in a long time the other day and now everything is sore. The front of my neck, my thighs, my arms and shoulders, the side parts of my ribs under my armpits.

I'm pretty sure it's not an injury because the parts I slammed into wooden boards are fine

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Are the stationary bikes pretty good for cardio and such? I've never been much of a runner and I weigh quite a lot and I don't want to damage my knees with running so I was considering using the exercise bike until I lose a good bit of weight since it seems like it wouldn't put as much strain on my knees.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    198, can't even remember when I weighed less. Sure stress has been a very good deterrent for eating the past few, and the pain from my now terrible posture makes it hard to sleep, and my future employment and financial city is looks murky as always, none of it bothers me today. I got shit done like I said I would.

160 is a-comin

FqmsaJ6.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Are the stationary bikes pretty good for cardio and such? I've never been much of a runner and I weigh quite a lot and I don't want to damage my knees with running so I was considering using the exercise bike until I lose a good bit of weight since it seems like it wouldn't put as much strain on my knees.

Bikes are okay, swimming is great. But you also want some impact. Do not underestimate walking, especially incline.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • raccoonraccoon Registered User new member

Since exercise bike is designed for low impact workout, you can avoid injuries from other high impact exercises. My friend lost 20 pounds in 2 months with exercise bike workout, and a healthy diet.

Best Indoor Exercise Bikes for Weight Loss - Stationary bikes offer all of biking benefits without leaving your home.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It's exercise!

Keep in mind that the distances you cover on the bike will be less that outside as you won't be dealing with a range of hills and wind resistance.

You can always get a bike for outside!

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So, down 13 lbs since May 9th courtesy of the ketogenic meal replacement dealie. I slip up occasionally, but in the sense that I, say, buy eggs and cheese and make a small low carb pizza, and end up taking in 2400 calories for the day. It's a marked improvement over my traditional binges. I still feel a lot better than I did on my previous diet (I've stayed gluten-free as much as possible even when I cheat, in case that's the key factor).

I have to say, I highly regret buying the Rich Chocolate flavor when I ran out of the Cookies n Cream protein powder that makes up the bulk of the drink's flavor. Apparently the Fudge flavor is the good chocolate from that company. So yeah, for a week I'm drinking 'chocolate' that tastes like...chocolate-flavored cardboard, I guess I'd call it. Not horrible, but not 'actually pretty tasty' the way it was before.

Now that I've adapted to Illinois' air and my allergies aren't threatening to murder me, I'll be walking again. I was getting good returns on body composition, if not weight, doing that before.

Kamar on
    It's good to hear someone in Illinois doesn't have bad allergies, that's kind of a rarity among my family and friends

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Hello fitness thread! How are you doing?

I don't check in with you very often (maybe I should), but I thought I would tell you about something you might find cool.

Men's Health Magazine (again I don't know much about fitness, is this a reputable magazine?) is doing a story on the benefits of exercise pertaining to longevity, and they've been working with my grandpa, John Nagy, who is more than 4 times my age and way more fit than me!

I don't think the article is published yet, but here's a thing: http://blog.finnohara.com/?p=4626
    My grandpa is in the white shirt.

I think it's cool and I hope you do too.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    dude doesn't look a day over 80

• AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    College is over in two weeks, once that's done I need to quit smoking and start exercising again.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Went hiking this weekend (Palo Duro, freaking beautiful, definately recommend it) and something a friend offhandlely mentioned made me think.

"I don't understand how anyone could not enjoy spending time outdoors."

Looking back, I definately hated the outdoors (only gotten into hiking and camping and what not in the past few years AFTER my weight loss). Combination of being overweight and most outdoor activities seemingly being too hard and feeling discouraged probably accounted for that.

I dunno, I don't tend to fall into the "thin priviledge!" camp, but it was a reminder how being overweight can affect parts of one's life other's may not realize it.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I enjoy the outdoors quite a bit! But on my terms.

Do I want to go pretend I'm in football again and run sprints in August at 3PM? Hell. No.

I like to hunt, but if the weather is too shitty I'm far more content to hang out and read indoors, or decide I'm not hunting at all that day and get intoxicated on the porch.

I enjoy hiking! Not an issue. Camping, boils down to weather conditions and people I'm with.

On the other hand, I despise being sunburnt (plenty of ways around this), or more familiar for me, having gnats buzz my eyes, ears, and nose while sweating profusely.

Again, I've been pretty active most of my life, but there are certainly conditions that must be met for me to go outdoors and stay there, otherwise it's pretty miserable for me. And I can completely understand people who have been exposed to shitty outdoor experiences in their youth and still hold to that.

But, I agree, being outdoors is pretty awesome. And being in shape, or at least conditioned to a point, certainly can be more conducive to enjoying outdoor activities more.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Outside is where it's hot and sticky.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    http://rt.com/usa/262909-chocolate-diet-media-hoax/
    A sensational study about the impact of chocolate on weight loss, published by a medical journal and reported in half a dozen languages across over 20 countries, was a deliberate plot to expose bad science in diet studies, its author said.
    “That study design is a recipe for false positives,” Bohannon wrote. “The results are meaningless, and the health claims that the media blasted out to millions of people around the world are utterly unfounded.”
    The next step was crafting a seductive press release, filled with carefully chosen buzzwords like “flavonoids” and “bioactive compounds” while carefully avoiding any specific claims aside from the vague notion chocolate was beneficial.
    “The key is to exploit journalists’ incredible laziness,” he added. “If you lay out the information just right, you can shape the story that emerges in the media almost like you were writing those stories yourself. In fact, that’s literally what you’re doing, since many reporters just copied and pasted our text.”

214687481_LqPXu-1050x10000.jpg

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    A sensational study about the impact of chocolate on weight loss, published by a medical journal and reported in half a dozen languages across over 20 countries, was a deliberate plot to expose bad science in diet studies, its author said.
    “That study design is a recipe for false positives,” Bohannon wrote. “The results are meaningless, and the health claims that the media blasted out to millions of people around the world are utterly unfounded.”
    The next step was crafting a seductive press release, filled with carefully chosen buzzwords like “flavonoids” and “bioactive compounds” while carefully avoiding any specific claims aside from the vague notion chocolate was beneficial.
    “The key is to exploit journalists’ incredible laziness,” he added. “If you lay out the information just right, you can shape the story that emerges in the media almost like you were writing those stories yourself. In fact, that’s literally what you’re doing, since many reporters just copied and pasted our text.”

Aw man I just came here to post this http://io9.com/i-fooled-millions-into-thinking-chocolate-helps-weight-1707251800?ocid=socialflow_twitter

poo
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Is there a way to eat 1200-1500 calories a day that:

1. doesn't involve having to go to the grocery store every 2 days for fresh veggies/fruit/meat
    2. doesn't require excessive preparation for lunches and dinner
    3. will not kill me from boredom of having to eat meals that are 75% cooked vegetables (or the same damn thing)
    4. prevents me from feeling hungry

...?

I'm a 5'4" , ~135 lbs female, and I think my daily maintenance intake is about 1700 calories. Eating only 1200 calories feels super limiting to me and all the things that I know are the most satiating (higher fat content, higher carb content) are often too calorie-dense for me to eat a lot of.

I once ate like an entire bag of green beans [frozen, then cooked] and felt pretty ill afterwards...maybe it was too much fiber? I've heard that can be a thing. Not sure though. I'm allergic to a handful of raw fruits and vegetables, so I end up feeling pretty bored and limited in my "healthy snack" choices, which end up usually being "apple with peanut butter" or "baby carrots and hummus that I eat until my mouth starts getting irritated from the carrots".

I'm kind of at a loss. This also never seems to be something I can maintain because I inevitably miss that feeling of "not being hungry all the time" and fall back into eating more, or eating more carbs than I should (preparation is fast and easy and it's always really satisfyingly filling). I know things high in fat content are also good for feeling full, but my calorie limit is so low that it feels I can't really eat much to really get the benefit.

I was able to do this a few years ago with an exercise routine, and ended up doing really well. I lost like 15 pounds at a healthy rate, and gained a bunch of muscle. Some days I didn't suffer from hunger...but some days I had to distract myself at night because I was so hungry.

Any advice aside from trying to eat less and shrink my stomach so I don't feel as hungry? :\ When a tiny soup and half sandwich at lunch run me ~600 calories, trying to stay within the 1200-1500 limit seems crazy hard.

NightDragon on
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Lean protein stuff actually tends to be some of the most satiating food, especially when looking at it per calorie. Using a slow cooker is a great way to prepare large amounts of filling foods without spending much actual time on prep. Also, are you still exercising?

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

On the one hand, it's a good thing to point out how easy it is to publish misleading bullshit and have the media run around telling everyone about the latest breakthrough in bullshit dieting.

On the other hand, this asshole just published a study that told everyone to each chocolate as a weightloss aid and then convinced the media to tell everyone how awesome eating chocolate is for anyone trying to get healthy. So good job, asshole.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »

On the one hand, it's a good thing to point out how easy it is to publish misleading bullshit and have the media run around telling everyone about the latest breakthrough in bullshit dieting.

On the other hand, this asshole just published a study that told everyone to each chocolate as a weightloss aid and then convinced the media to tell everyone how awesome eating chocolate is for anyone trying to get healthy. So good job, asshole.

It's not really just this asshole doing it, since there are numerous studies reporting health benefits of dark chocolate.

Yes, it's wrong. But I think it's good to show how some studies are complete bullshit. Also, if it wasn't this guy, it would be some other charlatan selling people on the next "lose weight, do nothing!" scheme.

So, I kinda have a hard time getting worked up over it.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The whole exercise was pointless. Are reporters going to stop being lazy when sourcing articles based on research results? Are bottom tier journals going to stop publishing every half ass study that gets sent to them? Are companies going to stop using shitty expirements to sell suspect diet aids? Are people going to stop trying to use a magic diet aid that will let them lose weight without dietary changes and physical activity?

All he did was get himself a little publicity and he can feel a self righteous about all the idiots who fell for his prank.

Just a big ol ball of meh.

Well it's a good way to demonstrate to some people who may not already be aware of how lazy journalists are and how easy it is to publish shit studies. Hopefully this gets them to scrutinize shit they read a little more.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Woo first 10 pounds down

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So, started the month at 220.

Ending it at 199.

Not bad, Keto Chow, not bad at all.

Especially since the last few diets I've attempted have dead-ended at around 207 in the last few years.

Kamar on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Got a medal in my age group in a 5k today. Not at all deserved, as there was a huge gap between me and the person before me, but it does give me motivation to get my times more competitive.

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Welp, lost 10kg since January. The simple act of skipping lunch on days I don't gym seems to have been a good idea.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Staying with friends for the week, which is incredibly kind of them and I adore them for it

Unfortunately they as a couple embody every single disordered eating habit I've dealt with in the last several years and it's fucking killing me

:/ that ain't great. How long are you there for?

Just through the end of the week

But this is day two and I'm catching myself going back to those habits and ugh I really don't want to fight these battles again

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    :bro:

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    Ok, I bought salad constituents and made plans to hike part of Mt Hood tomorrow.

I can do this.

This discussion has been closed.