As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer freezing issues

AistanAistan Tiny BatRegistered User regular
So i've been having computer problems on and off for the past couple months. What happens is the display goes out and the computer freezes, whatever last microsecond of audio that was playing repeating over and over until I hard power off the computer. This has happened during games, while just browsing the forums, even sometimes immediately after Windows loads up. On top of this, sometimes when I power off the computer after this happens then power it on again, it won't POST. It just sits there, powered on, fans running, but with no beeps and no display. Shutting it down once more then powering it on again usually results in it finally booting.

I've run a memtest and it found no errors, but I have no idea if that means anything and I don't know what other diagnostics to try. I can't exactly afford to replace parts on a hunch or to see what works and what doesn't, i'd like to know what the problem is before picking up a replacement. Anyone have any ideas?

Most of my parts are a little over two years old, though I think the power supply is a bit older than that.

Intel Core i5-3570k Quad-Core 3.4GHz CPU
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Intel Motherboard
ASUS GTX650 Ti 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 Video Card
4 x 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
Rosewill 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply
1 x 2Tb HDD
2 x 1Tb HDD

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Power supply, usually. Find a replacement to test it. If you have another computer in the house you can borrow the power supply out of that one.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I bought a power supply a few days ago, it arrived today and I just installed it. We'll see if that was the problem. It was the oldest component in my computer so even if it's not the cause it probably needed replacing anyway.

• Options
    So it wasn't the power supply since this has started up again. Same symptoms.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    in my experience at getting that same error on older rigs, its probably the video card. do you have a warranty on it through asus, maybe get it RMAed?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I bought it two years ago and never got any extended warranties or anything, plus Asus' support site is a nightmare to find any information on.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    you know it's funny I had a similar problem when I was running windows 8.1 on my old Core i7 920 rig. it wouldn't happen at boot on POST but would definitely happen more than I wanted it to while in the OS.

I wish I could tell you what the solution was. Since then I've moved to Windows 10 and (and then more recently upgraded my CPU/motherboard). But I haven't seen that issue since moving to Win10/.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    you might try doing a clean video card driver install (or just getting updated drivers if you haven't updated them in forever) for starters

• Options
    What I don't understand is why the new power supply made the problem go away for ~20 days before it showed up again.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Try a fresh OS install.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This is the exact problem I had with gpu issues back in the day, so I'll second that diagnosis. Try running it with the card out using the onboard graphics for awhile. Also, try keeping an eye on your gpu's temps.

• Options
    Did a clean reinstall of all the drivers, we'll see if that makes a difference.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why the new power supply made the problem go away for ~20 days before it showed up again.

if the issue is indeed the video card, its possible its overheating and/or some of the GPU ram has bad sectors. So the problem can be intermittent and hard to replicate/trace. In my case, it was really easy to provoke an incident running 3DMark or Crysis (back when it was the video card crucible), basically some program that would put a large load on the card. Not to say that not all of the crashes occurred under load, but it was very easy to provoke them by being under load.

• Options
    Yeah it happened again a couple of times trying to boot up just now. Guess i'm getting a new video card. Any suggestions? I guess i'd rather stay in the $100-$200 range since that's what I paid for this one back then.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Yeah it happened again a couple of times trying to boot up just now. Guess i'm getting a new video card. Any suggestions? I guess i'd rather stay in the $100-$200 range since that's what I paid for this one back then.

Have you tried running off the integrated graphics for a while - take your video card out and use the ports on the motherboard. Try using that and pushing the computer to see if you can replicate the problem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Have you tried running off the integrated graphics for a while - take your video card out and use the ports on the motherboard. Try using that and pushing the computer to see if you can replicate the problem.

It's never happened because of "pushing the computer". It happens any time for whatever reason, even as Windows is loading after turning it on from being powered off entirely overnight. I'll give that a try though.

E: Video card is out, running off the motherboard now. Other than Firefox being super godddamn slow like oh my god what is this nonsense, it's ok. I'm not sure how to replicate the freezing though. Like I said, it seemed to go away for 20 days after I installed the new power supply before starting up again. I really don't want to use my computer without a video card for that long just to make sure.

Aistan on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Not related to the crashing, but making sure your driver's for the Intel graphics are installed and up to date might help with the slowness.

• Options
    New video card arrived. The 2x6-pin to 8-pin pcie power adapter that came in the box with it doesn't fit into the card, so it won't run. It goes about halfway into the slots then stops, as if the pins are misaligned.

Because of course nothing can ever work properly first try.

• Options
    Nevermind, I fiddled with it more today and got it to fit. It involved sticking the end of a paperclip into the sockets of the adapter and wiggling it around until they were more open. Will that cause problems down the line or should it be ok? I have an open ticket with EVGA for them to just send me a new adapter if the trouble I had and solution I found is cause for concern.

Regardless of all that, the new card is in and running. We'll see if the problem happens again or if that solved things.