As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    Ok, here is the terrible phone pic:

20150526_231259.jpg

I know that when I bought them I got them at a gaming store that was going out of business, and some of them were missing arms and such. That's why some of them have some pretty janky arms. Since I did that to them my scratch-building has come a loooong way so my plans are to re-do those.

Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So, I just got the starter set for this, and played a bunch of games. And I really enjoyed it, my birthday is coming up so I'm getting total warfare, technical manual and tac and strategic ops. All in I guess.

Got a problem though, not sure what to paint my starter mechs. Got a bunch of friends intrested in a campagin and wel will be using my starter box mechs for a bit. Now painting peoples chosen lances in different faction colours would be cool, but it also means that after the campagin any lances I build might be mismatched. Any opinions?

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So, I just got the starter set for this, and played a bunch of games. And I really enjoyed it, my birthday is coming up so I'm getting total warfare, technical manual and tac and strategic ops. All in I guess.

Got a problem though, not sure what to paint my starter mechs. Got a bunch of friends intrested in a campagin and wel will be using my starter box mechs for a bit. Now painting peoples chosen lances in different faction colours would be cool, but it also means that after the campagin any lances I build might be mismatched. Any opinions?

Welcome aboard!

On the minis front: You faction paint those motherfuckers, and never look back. And then, ten years hence, when you gaze upon your painted collection, you will remark "I did that".

As a bonus, once everything's painted, you have an excuse to buy more miniatures! If you're looking for inspiration, be sure to check out camospecs.com.

@JohnnyToxxic
    ID'ing your collection now!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited May 2015
    Okay, so, you've got a bunch of really easy ones to identify, and some that are absolutely baffling me right this second. Here's where I'm at, having looked at the entire line of IWM figs for comparison:

Mech%20ID.jpg

The ones named were all pretty easy, minus the Gurka (had to check Sarna for that one, but the sword/shoulders/left arm weapon cluster give it away).

I'll edit in the others as I continue to plunk away at this:
    A Shadow Hawk IIC 4 (Reseen)
    B Spartan
    C Snake
    D Arcas
    E Bowman

(A courtesy of @Ianator, B/C/D ID'd by @CorporateLogo , C by @JohnnyToxxic)

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »

Welcome aboard!

On the minis front: You faction paint those motherfuckers, and never look back. And then, ten years hence, when you gaze upon your painted collection, you will remark "I did that".

As a bonus, once everything's painted, you have an excuse to buy more miniatures! If you're looking for inspiration, be sure to check out camospecs.com.

@JohnnyToxxic
    ID'ing your collection now!

Yeah been spending a lot of time on camospec. Tempted to paint them as the merc companies from mechwarrior4:Mercs.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    So I probably asked this here three weeks ago, but our campaign's half-and-half PC/NPC is looking for a new ride after having his third Trebuchet exploded on him. What I didn't know is that my 'Mech, a PHX-1, is getting reassigned. This means we've got two MechWarriors in limbo.

Good news: I'm getting a Wolverine-6M. By giving up 1 MP and two MGs I'm getting ten more tons of DFA goodness and no ammo dependency. Bob is getting an Enforcer-4R, giving us some much-needed one-shot punch while also protecting him a bit more.

Bad news: I have no idea where to find Unseen record sheets.

...Okay, no idea isn't entirely accurate, but solaris7.com only has the base -6R variant and I don't know how to distribute the extra two sinks and one ton of armor on the -6M model that I'm rolling. So my question is: what TROs, Sheet books, box set books or whatever do I need to seek out to find sheets for the original Macross and Dougram ripoff 'Mechs?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited May 2015
    Ianator wrote: »
    So I probably asked this here three weeks ago, but our campaign's half-and-half PC/NPC is looking for a new ride after having his third Trebuchet exploded on him. What I didn't know is that my 'Mech, a PHX-1, is getting reassigned. This means we've got two MechWarriors in limbo.

Good news: I'm getting a Wolverine-6M. By giving up 1 MP and two MGs I'm getting ten more tons of DFA goodness and no ammo dependency. Bob is getting an Enforcer-4R, giving us some much-needed one-shot punch while also protecting him a bit more.

Bad news: I have no idea where to find Unseen record sheets.

...Okay, no idea isn't entirely accurate, but solaris7.com only has the base -6R variant and I don't know how to distribute the extra two sinks and one ton of armor on the -6M model that I'm rolling. So my question is: what TROs, Sheet books, box set books or whatever do I need to seek out to find sheets for the original Macross and Dougram ripoff 'Mechs?

If you've no compunctions, grab Solaris Skunkwerks. I've confirmed the WVR-6M and ENF-4R are both in there.

For more legitimate means, the WVR-6M and ENF-4R are both in Record Sheets Unabridged 3039.

The MUL is your friend.

Nips on
    Okay, so, you've got a bunch of really easy ones to identify, and some that are absolutely baffling me right this second. Here's where I'm at, having looked at the entire line of IWM figs for comparison:

Mech%20ID.jpg

The ones named were all pretty easy, minus the Gurka (had to check Sarna for that one, but the sword/shoulders/left arm weapon cluster give it away).

I'll edit in the others as I continue to plunk away at this:
    A ???
    B ???
    C ???
    D ???
    E ???

I think that A might(?) be a Phoenix Hawk, C might be a Snake, and if I'm remembering correctly D and E were Clan 'Mechs that were precursor to the OmniMech designs. But these are 2002-ish castings so it's been almost as long as I've seen them, lol.

Thanks Nips!

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    ???A is definitely the reseen Shadow Hawk. I know this because I'm comparing it to the one I just bought today. :biggrin: Looks like someone put an IndustrialMech shovel on the right arm.

@Nips SSW is exactly what I'm using to make these sheets. Problems are, a) I didn't know there was an All The Sheets file floating around until after I started using it, and b) I quite enjoy transcribing 'Mechs manually and credit the practice for knowing how they are assembled.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    They dont have the art but the current 3039 record sheets book has the unseen mechs

http://bg.battletech.com/?wpsc-product=1105-2

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Yep, I finally got the stats.

...Because we faced a WVR-6M in a previous battle and I still have the sheet. :+1:

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    @JohnnyToxxic @Ianator
    Good calls on the Snake and Shadow Hawk (IIC 4, the reseen version as you said). I've never heard or seen of the Snake before, and I don't think I ever would have placed the Shadow Hawk. Helps to have held the mini in person. :D

The remaining three figs vex me so. I feel like I've seen B, D looks like it should be a Battletech fig, and E is just weird. Totally at a loss, though.

In other news, I bit the bullet on the 3D print thing. Lead time's a bit long, not expected to ship until June 10th. And to make myself feel better about the whole dark-grey-market thing, I decided to spend even more money to buy a 3D printed 6mm-scale building. I'm curious to see how a 3D print holds up in comparison to the resin buildings I have now, and figure out which has the better cost-to-tabletop-coverage for building out a solid collection of wargaming terrain.

Pics when I get them both, of course. :D

So, if mechwarrior is 6mm scale then dropzone commander infrantry would fit right in yeah? I've already got a bunch so can easy rebase them.

So, if mechwarrior is 6mm scale then dropzone commander infrantry would fit right in yeah? I've already got a bunch so can easy rebase them.

Yeah, approximately. The scale of any given Battletech sculpt is a bit variable, but they're all generally close enough to 6 mm / 1:300 / 1:285 scale to be compatible with any products from those ranges. DZC should fit right in there.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    B - Spartan
    D - Arcas
    E - Bowman

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    B - Spartan
    D - Arcas
    E - Bowman

Nailed it! Good eye. I'd have never gotten those.

Hey. HEEEEY.

CGL and DriveThruRPG are having a blowout sale on Battletech rule and fiction pdf books this weekend!

The links to the sales are at the top of the Tumblr post, but it looks like there's more on sale in the store if you start browsing.

Mmmm, mmm, gonna get me some cheap pdf's.

Hey. HEEEEY.

CGL and DriveThruRPG are having a blowout sale on Battletech rule and fiction pdf books this weekend!

The links to the sales are at the top of the Tumblr post, but it looks like there's more on sale in the store if you start browsing.

This is fantastic timing consider I asked for these PDFs as my birthday gift from the wife, and my birthday is on Monday!

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Hey. HEEEEY.

This is fantastic timing consider I asked for these PDFs as my birthday gift from the wife, and my birthday is on Monday!

Just what you need to run a combined game of the RPG and Tabletop as a pbp :biggrin:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited May 2015
    double post, but seriously

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

Guys. GUYS.

I've been thinking. And drinking. And playing with Skunkwerks.

Under Experimental rules, I can make a 10-ton Ultralight Clantech 'Mech that, with MASC and a Supercharger, is capable of going over 500 kph. It even has armor!

Why is this not already a canonical thing? Stupid Clans and their "Warrior Culture". They'd be better off with a "NASCAR Culture"!

Screw Fireballs and Roadrunners, I want a strap-on suit of Battlemech armor that is capable of almost half of Mach 1. And it's only going to cost around six million C-bills!

[10 ton mech, 190 XXL engine = 19 MP * 2.5 (MASC+Supercharger) {rounded up} => 518.4 kph]

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Oh, hey! I forgot there was a BattleTech thread. I love BattleTech!

I dunno if any of you get over to the official forums ever, but I think the Fan Article section there has some good stuff. I've written some of the 'Mech of the Week articles, so I'll plug those and if you like 'em there's plenty of others there.

Jackalope
    Ursus/Ursus II
    Vandal
    Shiro
    Viking/Viking IIC

I'm gonna do the Maelstrom next just as soon as I come up with an interesting way to talk about the Maelstrom.

You probably forgot there was a Battletech thread because everyone's over in the MechWarrior Online thread. :) I appreciate all the activity though, especially as of late.

Speaking of activity, we had another game in the campaign today. Our lance was tasked with chasing down an enemy commander with a time limit of 50 turns. Our selection of 'Mechs has shifted considerably over the last few games and none of us are using the same 'Mechs we started with. Thus our roster is:

Me: Wolverine WVR-6M
    Dallas: Crusader CRD-3D
    Chris C.: Archer ARC-2R
    Bob: Enforcer ENF-4R

The mission started with us against two 'Mechs, a Trebuchet and a Thunderbolt, acting as a rearguard for the enemy MVP. It was much harder to take these down than it should've been - by the time we crossed the operations line it was turn 20 and our Crusader popped the white flag due to losing a leg. (Dallas will be playing as Bob next time.) We adjourned for lunch and will conclude the mission next game.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The one thing that always made me sad with BT is that I came up with a great idea for a campaign that I was never able to get off the ground due to the current RPG materials being so completely different from anything I'd ever read before, to the point where I realized I'd need to play some games as a before I could GM anything. And of course I can't do that because no one around me has even heard of battletech let alone knows how to run it :(

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Oooh, oooh! I love a good guessing game! And I've been boning up on my 'Mech ID skills by trawling Sarna and eBay basically every day.

....What? I'm compulsive.

So, while we wait for Johnny's pic(s), an open question to thread: If you found a 3D printed 'Mech, based on the artwork of a particular 'Mech game, for sale on a notable sell-your-3D-print-design-website, would you buy said 3D print? What if you knew it fell into a really grey-going-on-black area of legality as you understood it? What if you really like the model?

So torn here.

@Nips I think you would have to share the link, just so we can all verify...

l7n41RV.png
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Oooh, oooh! I love a good guessing game! And I've been boning up on my 'Mech ID skills by trawling Sarna and eBay basically every day.

....What? I'm compulsive.

So, while we wait for Johnny's pic(s), an open question to thread: If you found a 3D printed 'Mech, based on the artwork of a particular 'Mech game, for sale on a notable sell-your-3D-print-design-website, would you buy said 3D print? What if you knew it fell into a really grey-going-on-black area of legality as you understood it? What if you really like the model?

So torn here.

@Nips I think you would have to share the link, just so we can all verify...

Or you can message me with the links and I'll verify them for everyone.

You guys are terrible, you know that? Well, in for a penny, in for fifteen bucks...

No direct links (I'm being lazy), but it's super easy to find.
    1. Go to www.shapeways.com
    2. In the search, type "Battletech Locust"
    3. The first three results are right there. I went with the first result, mostly hoping the pose is the most stable for such narrow/thin printed structures.

IS reinforcements arrive to take on the smoke jaguar madcat
    exUkuNQvj

So my compulsions continue to know no bounds. I hemmed and hawed, and pulled the trigger on one of these this morning:

30_steel_warriors.jpg

I've actually been aware of this box set for a few years now. It floated back into my consciousness via an eBay auction (of the em-4 re-boxed product). So I finally pulled out my wallet.

In my defense, I'll be using them to practice my airbrushing skills, since I also just bought a combo compressor/airbrush kit, after similar hemming and hawing was done.

Cool beans. Don't forget to show off the contents when it arrives!

...Now I really wish there were some sort of fully-modular robot miniatures. Like, Tau Battlesuit-sized Armored Core minis.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    WiP shot of Oosiks "Give No Effs" lance. The squad is basecoated, washes, and drybrushed. Starting in on the base layer of the Sherman camo.

...this one Jagermech took me an hour. Ugh. Either I'm snail-slow, or this camo is harder than I give it credit for. Either way, this is going to take some time.

Jager WiP
    IMG_20150601_210828548.jpg
    IMG_20150601_210759575.jpg

Reference
    1%20Jager%20Front.png
    2%20Jager%20Front%20Left.png

Image spam continues as the atlas is joined by the rest of Wolfs Dragoons Zeta regiment
    ex9z4Unkj

That poor Atlas. All its buddies are like twice as fast as he is!

At least the Panther will likely stick around to give him company.

@Nips if you need a reference image for the Oosik Dragon you're painting I have plenty

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited June 2015
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Nips if you need a reference image for the Oosik Dragon you're painting I have plenty

My Dragon is part of the Oosiks Medium-Heavy lance, AKA the Workhorses (Hunchback/Trebuchet/Catapult/Dragon). Grey base, Oosik parade colors, with no particular regard to subtlety or stealth. I'm open to paint scheme suggestions; I was originally envisioning a blocky parade scheme. Is there one that's really baller looking on the Big Lizard? That is also within the capability of human paint skills?

References are appreciated!

Nips on
    @Nips When I get out of work I'm taking a fat dump on this thread.

:winky:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

A page or two back somebody posted a bunch of ebay links to a fellow who was selling some MWO inspired Mechs. He was also selling some Marauder minis that were pretty much based off of the original unseen Marauder. And I bought a couple of them because, for me the Marauder is my favorite Mech of all time, followed closely my the Mad Cat/ Timber Wolf.

Since they have two sets of legs each (so you could make it look like it was walking) I decided to put one on the longer legs and one on the shorter to make one look like a MAD and one to look like a MAD II. I added some plasticard to make one look like the MAD II. And here are the result via a crappy phone camera:

20150601_234013.jpg
    20150601_234028.jpg

Does that pass as a MAD II ?

edited June 2015
    marauderII1.jpgtro-marauder2.jpg

I think it's safe to say you nailed it. Also, that is a really good sculpt! How big is it?

Can't wait to see it painted!

Nips on
    It is a fantastic sculpt. It is a little big, though. But considering that the scale for many Mechs is pretty off, it still fits well. Going to prime them tonight (if I get a chance) and then paint them in a metallic red from the Vallejo Air line of paints. Or perhaps I may paint them in Oosik Irregular colors. ;)