As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I upgrade or buy new?

BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
So, it appears that my trusty PC is starting to scrape against the bottom of the barrel when it comes to system requirements for new games. I've included some dxdiag info below, in case it helps, but I definitely know that the video card needs an upgrade - it is the current minimum for DA:I and GTAV, and is below the minimum for the Witcher 3. Though, I'm not sure about the CPU, as I'm having trouble finding solid comparisons on it and, in any event, the system as a whole handled DA:I and GTAV with no problems whatsoever.

So, if anyone has any recommendations on what they think I should do, I'm very open to hear them. I'd rather upgrade, if plausible, to play Witcher 3 (and whatever else might come down the pike in the next few years), but if that's not cost-effective, I'm also willing to buy new. So, suggestions?

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: DELL Inc.
System Model: XPS 730X
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6134MB RAM
Page File: 3365MB used, 8902MB available

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9441)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2029 MB
Shared Memory: 2066 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The processor should probably be fine, most games are GPU bound anyway. Maybe bump the RAM up to 8 gigs, and like you said, the vid card is the biggest bottleneck

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    How upgradable is your dell? Sometimes they have wonky internal design that makes it difficult to upgrade from a space perspective and a hassle to work with. New video cards, for instance, are pretty huge. Go get some measurements and see if they'd even fit inside your case.

Also, make sure that your PSU is high-wattage enough and has the right connectors for a modern video card.

If you will need to get a new PSU and a new case, and you aren't cash strapped, it might be less hassle to build a new PC.

Also, the Radeon 300 series of cards will make at least a soft launch at E3 next month. Even if you don't go for a new Radeon, it should lower prices for existing 200 series cards and hopefully spur some price competition with NVidia too.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Your Dell is pushing 6 years. We have some of these at work and if they feel old then I tell them to get a new system. Since you're pushing 4870 X2 you could probably get by with just a GPU upgrade (the PSU can probably handle it).

• Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    More memory and get a new video card. The i7 CPU should be fine for a while.

My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'll add on to the "more ram, upgrade card" vote. Though make sure your motherboard can support both before buying.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you may also need to upgrade the power supply; that's a place companies like dell sometimes like to cut costs, since the difference isn't noticeable until you try upgrading stuff.

the good news is that your processor/mobo should probably be good to do what you want for at least another year or two and memory's pretty cheap; if you can find a good deal on a 200 series radeon or comparable nvidia you should be good to go

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The PSU is a 1 kilowatt and the case is oversized (for the time) to leave room for supposedly easier upgrading. One thing that I am a bit concerned about is that this upgrading is mostly to play the Witcher 3, which lists its minimum processor requirement at 3 GHz, which the current system is slightly less than.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    An i7-920 is a good processor and should be capable of running modern games still. It's not the bleeding edge of course, but it has heaps of power for an older CPU and thus isn't totally outclassed just yet. As for expanding the RAM, your computer uses a triple channel setup for the RAM, so to get full benefit from upgrading it you would need to buy 3 more 2GB sticks of compatible RAM for really very little actual in-game performance increase, if noticeable at all.

You will be much better served by upgrading your video card to something like a GTX970, installing an SSD for a primary drive, and upgrading to a nice big 24-27 inch 1080p monitor.

I suggest the video card and SSD as essential, the monitor would just be a nice extra to help take advantage of the workhorse of a new video card. Honestly, forget about RAM, just remember to run games from a clean desktop (close Photoshop and the 38 tabs you have open in Chrome before you fire up Far Cry 4).

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If you do decide to go new, budget hardest towards Motherboard/Processor. In the long run it will pay off, since over time everything else can be upgraded onto it.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I agree totally with the others recommending you keep your CPU and just upgrade the GPU and also get a SSD (The SSD alone makes a massive difference to how quick a computer feels, since programs start so much faster).

We are getting very close to seeing a new generation of graphics cards from AMD and it looks like they could have something very interesting coming, so I would recommend waiting just a bit longer(most likely details will come out sometime in June). There is a good article on Anandtech describing the new memory tech that AMD is bringing, it looks like they will bring a jump in bandwidth while using less power and space.
    Also coming is Windows 10 which looks to be a free upgrade for those with Win7/8 and with Windows 10 bringing DirectX12 that is a another reason to hold out just a wee bit longer, simply to see which GPU's work well with the new.

It is also rumored that Intel is gonna bring a new CPU generation soon, but exactly when is hard to say. The GPU thing AMD is bringing is totally official with them teasing with "leaks" and so on.

Something you may also consider when upgrading. The 4k monitors have arrived and while the smaller ones comes with the need to make programs scale in order to not be too small, there is a different way which is also surprisingly affordable. Philips makes a 40" 4K computer monitor(monitor not a TV) and with that size the pixels are the same size as on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor so no need for scaling. I bought one like two months ago and I love it.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    W3 doesn't need that much cpu. I only have a i5-750 and it runs fine on high with my gtx 670.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I'll add on to the "more ram, upgrade card" vote. Though make sure your motherboard can support both before buying.

Indeed, never assume that just because your motherboard has two spare RAM slots that it can actually take 2 more sticks of RAM.

Yes, I am still bitter.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Indeed, never assume that just because your motherboard has two spare RAM slots that it can actually take 2 more sticks of RAM.

Yes, I am still bitter.

Is this still a thing anymore?

If it were 2002 I'd say it, but I haven't seen a motherboard outside of the xenon server boards that bitches about RAM configurations in at least 10 years.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Update:

It is now 5 years later and the next CDProjekt game I'm staring down is Cyberpunk. I still have the same system as in the OP, with the exception of updating the video card for W3:

Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6810)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6810&SUBSYS_E271174B&REV_00
    Display Memory: 4095 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 3072 MB
    Shared Memory: 1023 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I'm thinking its time to get a new system, but can I still wring some more life out of it?

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It's probably time to get a new system. But I would wait about 6 months until those new Radeon/Nvidia cards drop in price. the Nvidia 30XX and Radeon 6000 series are just insanely more powerful than the previous generation, and by summer you should be able to get a post-hype price.

Performance is still GPU and RAM driven, although SSD harddrives is a factor for improving loadtimes.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    And AMD CPUs are pretty amazing right now

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    They're looking for a RX460 for the minimum AMD requirements, so you're about two years out of date there. The CPU is what, 12 years old now?

Basically the way it works is, the GPU does most of the work, and the CPU is what contributes to stuttering and frame drops, until the GPU runs out of work. If you're running games at 1080p (looks like you're running lower than that), you're going to likely be CPU bottlenecked hardcore if you decide to upgrade your video card.

How much are you looking to spend? I'd look at a 5600xt or 1660 Super for the lowest end worth buying (buy whichever is cheaper, should be ~$300), and any of the Ryzen 3 series are great; even the R3 3100 ($115) is very respectable, and will drive the previously mentioned GPUs without issue. I'd definitely look for at least a 1080p monitor, as games today are mostly made for that resolution/aspect ratio.

Definitely also look at the used market. You can get something like a GTX 1070 for pretty cheap, and it's still and awesome card; lots of Ryzen 2 and 3 series hitting the second hand market as well. Nothing wrong with cheap intel CPUs, but they end up having more expensive motherboards.

• Options
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    How much are you looking to spend? I'd look at a 5600xt or 1660 Super for the lowest end worth buying (buy whichever is cheaper, should be ~$300), and any of the Ryzen 3 series are great; even the R3 3100 ($115) is very respectable, and will drive the previously mentioned GPUs without issue. I'd definitely look for at least a 1080p monitor, as games today are mostly made for that resolution/aspect ratio.

Definitely also look at the used market. You can get something like a GTX 1070 for pretty cheap, and it's still and awesome card; lots of Ryzen 2 and 3 series hitting the second hand market as well. Nothing wrong with cheap intel CPUs, but they end up having more expensive motherboards.

I'd have a hard time justifying a 5600xt or 1660 Super unless you find one for sub-200$. The 6800 and 3000 series bump in performance (even the low end matches high-end Titan and Quadro cards) will, even if game development isn't as performance driven as it was, make an impression on how much performance high-profile games will expect you to have.
    Right now they're a lot of value for money, but you'll probably find those cards obsolete the next time a game like Cyberpunk drops.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options

I'd have a hard time justifying a 5600xt or 1660 Super unless you find one for sub-200$. The 6800 and 3000 series bump in performance (even the low end matches high-end Titan and Quadro cards) will, even if game development isn't as performance driven as it was, make an impression on how much performance high-profile games will expect you to have.
    Right now they're a lot of value for money, but you'll probably find those cards obsolete the next time a game like Cyberpunk drops.

If the idea is to play cp77 when it comes out, waiting for a 3060 that probably won't have stock until June, and also likely will still be $400+, isn't really an option. If he's got $700 to spend then hell yeah, get a 3080 if you can. Realistically, I'm betting that an RX570 will probably be more than playable (stable 60fps) at 1080p, seeing as this is a xbone title.

As far as what's a good deal to buy right now, you're pretty much only looking at the used market IMO. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that partner 3000 aren't going to stick to current prices and are likely to shoot $80-150 past MSRP. If you can get a 3080 for $700, jump on it. Otherwise the AMD cards look pretty boss, and most likely aren't going to jump (as much) in price... but that's still $650. There's pretty much nothing below $650 worth buying right now, IMO, but if you have to buy, I'd go with the 1660s or 5600xt; whichever is cheaper.

GPU prices are insane. I bought two RX 570s for $115 each a few years ago; they're back to $200. I got my RX 5700 for $300 in 2019, and now they're $400+. I would actually consider just buying a PS5 at this particular moment in time, if you're not looking at the high-end of GPUs.

• Options
    Had my eye on: https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktops/dell-g5-gaming-desktop/spd/g-series-5000-desktop/dg5000_s1e?configurationid=08ca2241-9d49-4113-85b4-8b9fd8d61696

I'm not afraid to drop some money on a system, especially if it'll last me another 10 years with the occassional upgrade.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I don't know exactly about which gpu is better other than a quick Google search seems not significantly different, and I know this is one of those "Canadian shopping sucks" issues, but...

Isn't this basically the same system for hundreds less?

https://slickdeals.net/f/14509211-abs-challenger-master-gaming-pc-intel-i5-10400f-geforce-gtx-1660-super-rtx-2060-16gb-ddr4-512gb-ssd-for-799-99-more-fs?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

If you end up going with your dell choice, you should add on an ssd immediately.

• Options
    Blarghy wrote: »
    Had my eye on: https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktops/dell-g5-gaming-desktop/spd/g-series-5000-desktop/dg5000_s1e?configurationid=08ca2241-9d49-4113-85b4-8b9fd8d61696

I'm not afraid to drop some money on a system, especially if it'll last me another 10 years with the occassional upgrade.

Out of those mix&match options I would:
    a. Invest in a dual HD with SSD (probably 256GB to give space for windows-bloat + a game where the loading times are pissing you off)+a 1 or 2 TB HD for general storage.
    b. Downgrade the Graphics card to a 1660 Super. A 5700 gives you about 25% more performance than a 1660 Super, but given that the 6800 and 3000 series gives +100%-150% power (depending on the card) compared to the 5700 it's not worth spending 200$ extra on a 5700. It's one of the best cards of a soon to be obsolete generation. Not worth spending 200$ more on it when it will be absolutely the first thing you'll need to replace. Regardless of which option you pick out of those you'll probably need to replace it in less than 3 years if you want to play high-profile games. The only card that isn't really up to snuff out of those cards is the 1650, which is barely adequate for current games and probably won't give you the performance you want for Cyberpunk 2077.
    c. The processor seems fine to me, but I'm not very good at processors. Processors haven't been the key issue since the pentium wars, and it looks like a processor that gives a lot of performance for its price.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I don't know exactly about which gpu is better other than a quick Google search seems not significantly different, and I know this is one of those "Canadian shopping sucks" issues, but...

Isn't this basically the same system for hundreds less?

https://slickdeals.net/f/14509211-abs-challenger-master-gaming-pc-intel-i5-10400f-geforce-gtx-1660-super-rtx-2060-16gb-ddr4-512gb-ssd-for-799-99-more-fs?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

If you end up going with your dell choice, you should add on an ssd immediately.

The Dell site is in canadian dollaridoos. So the actual price difference is maybe 50$ USD.

• Options
    Browsing around on that site, I saw: https://www.newegg.ca/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-9999/p/N82E16883230552#

Any red flags on that one?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Blarghy wrote: »
    Browsing around on that site, I saw: https://www.newegg.ca/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-9999/p/N82E16883230552#

Any red flags on that one?

Cpu (ryzen 5 3600) ram (16gb ddr4 3600) and the 1tb ssd (nvme m.2 is gonna be nice and fast) are all good and should last you a while.

The gpu is the lower end of the last gen amd cards and replacing it with a 3060 (or 3070 now) or something when they become available would make that a real strong system.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    You're getting absolutely reamed on those prices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QrfnGq

The 5700xt, with the latest drivers, is within spitting distance of the 2080 super. The 3060ti is also supposed to be about as powerful as a 2080 super, and also at $400 US. You're missing out on ray tracing, but even with the new cards, ray tracing is pretty much still jank.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    You're getting absolutely reamed on those prices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QrfnGq

The 5700xt, with the latest drivers, is within spitting distance of the 2080 super. The 3060ti is also supposed to be about as powerful as a 2080 super, and also at $400 US. You're missing out on ray tracing, but even with the new cards, ray tracing is pretty much still jank.

Yeah, better to buy last gen than the zen3 or Nvidia 3000 or and 6000. Due to no availability the prices are several 100 dollars above MSRP.

steam_sig.png