As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Maybe I'll buy a beat up Del Sol as a project car.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »
    Yeah, what the enthusiast market wants is a small and lightweight RWD coupe, that has potential for sporting use and modification. Like the Toyobaru.

Shame they're not selling enough to warrant anyone else having a go!

The problem is that you throw them against the WRX/Mustang, they don't deliver enough value in power or usefulness.

Yea, but they're not really meant to. See also MX-5. Though I still agree there should be a BRZ STI. They already have a 300bhp version of that engine, just drop it in already!
    Cormac wrote: »
    Aka a new Supra. Something to compete with the Mustang GT and V8 Camaro. I'm be pretty interested in something like that.

Although, the Lexus RC is probably the closest we'll ever see to a modern Supra from Toyota.

Nah a new Supra would need to be a proper range-topper for Toyota, something with a luxurious interior, a hybrid drivetrain, RIDICULOUS amounts of power...

Something physically bigger and with much less Subaru in it than the Toyobaru.

Soo.. a Lexus?

Nah they had the LFA. So much hype, so much pricetag, so much barely making even a ripple in the hypercar market. Like the Mercedes McLaren SLR before it, mostly forgotten before they'd even sold them all.

No a Lexus, not an abberation. Luxurious, hybrid.. ok needs more power but you're describing a Lexus there.

MX-5 is a convertible-first with a cult following. It doesn't count.

MX-5s are great and I want one. They're also a little 4-banger sports car. Like a Toyobaru but without that pesky roof.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I can't really think of a situation where I'd ever want to be without a roof.

Well, one situation: I accidentally drive my car into a body of water.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »

I live in Perth now, so 75% of the year is good roof-down weather.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    What's a relatively inexpensive upgrade I can do on my 2.0T engine?

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    What's a relatively inexpensive upgrade I can do on my 2.0T engine?

High octane racing fuel :+1:

Can't I do some computer modifications?

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Can't I do some computer modifications?

APR used to be the hot shit back in the MKIV and MKV day, dunno about now or if the tune would be the same in a Tiguan.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    An ECU tune will run around $800 for the tune and install fees. I suppose it's technically the best bang for the buck as far as power gains go.

I'm running APR Stage 2 with a cold air intake air intake, turbo back exhaust, lightweight wheels, and Continental Extremecontact DWS tires, and it really transformed the car. It's much quicker than stock. I had plans to start modifying the suspension and brakes this summer, but it's not going to work out financially for another year or two.

APR has sales a few times a year which can save you some money, but a tune is still going to run in the $650-$900 range depending on the company, which tune you get (1, 1+, 2, etc), and what the install entails. Any of the tunes are good but go with whatever one has an authorized installer closest to where you live.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    A quick look at VW Vortex forums shows that APR is still considered the hot shit for VW tuning.

Tunes are great but if you really want to make gains you should consider supporting mods around intake and exhaust. If you spend a little on them, you can then go forth towards som fun tunes on E85 if such fuel is available nearby. E85 tunes are probably the greatest cheap performance mods available for a turbo engine really.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Brakes and suspension are best mods.

edited May 2015
    TheStig wrote: »

I live in Perth now, so 75% of the year is good roof-down weather.

Good roof down weather for me would have to be no sun, no wind, no other people or cars in existence.

TheStig on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, what the enthusiast market wants is a small and lightweight RWD coupe, that has potential for sporting use and modification. Like the Toyobaru.

The problem is that you throw them against the WRX/Mustang, they don't deliver enough value in power or usefulness.

Yea, but they're not really meant to. See also MX-5. Though I still agree there should be a BRZ STI. They already have a 300bhp version of that engine, just drop it in already!
    Aka a new Supra. Something to compete with the Mustang GT and V8 Camaro. I'm be pretty interested in something like that.

Although, the Lexus RC is probably the closest we'll ever see to a modern Supra from Toyota.

Nah a new Supra would need to be a proper range-topper for Toyota, something with a luxurious interior, a hybrid drivetrain, RIDICULOUS amounts of power...

Soo.. a Lexus?

Nah they had the LFA. So much hype, so much pricetag, so much barely making even a ripple in the hypercar market. Like the Mercedes McLaren SLR before it, mostly forgotten before they'd even sold them all.

No a Lexus, not an abberation. Luxurious, hybrid.. ok needs more power but you're describing a Lexus there.

MX-5s are great and I want one. They're also a little 4-banger sports car. Like a Toyobaru but without that pesky roof.

Tom's Turbo Garage is doing a series of videos on just what it takes to put an LS3, 6-speed Super Magnum and CTS-V diff in an MX5.

It is causing me much confliction. I still want to twin-turbo a 370Z, but now I want a 525 horsepower MX5 as well...

I told my wife my plans to have more powerful horses in my car and she rolled her eyes.

That's totally a yes, right?

I told my wife my plans to have more powerful horses in my car and she rolled her eyes.

She didn't say no

• msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular

It's not a no.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Her eyes were rolling back in her head in ecstasy. That is a definite yes!

Soo.. a Lexus?

Tom's Turbo Garage is doing a series of videos on just what it takes to put an LS3, 6-speed Super Magnum and CTS-V diff in an MX5.

It is causing me much confliction. I still want to twin-turbo a 370Z, but now I want a 525 horsepower MX5 as well...

Yea.. that sounds like a fun amount of power for an MX-5. I tell you what, lets get your twin-turbo 370Z under way, then I might be able to afford the MX-5 and the LS3.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    See, if I were gonna fuck around with an MX-5, I'd want the chassis to have an amount of power it could actually handle

The fun of that sort of car, to me at least, is that you can absolutely do crazy shit with it at regular people speeds

Mortal Sky wrote: »
    See, if I were gonna fuck around with an MX-5, I'd want the chassis to have an amount of power it could actually handle

The fun of that sort of car, to me at least, is that you can absolutely do crazy shit with it at regular people speeds

Stock MX5s are pretty happy up to about 180-200 horsepower at the wheels, actually. Then things start getting a little hairy, so you weld in some underslung chassis reinforcing rails, and drop some decent coilovers and a basic brake upgrade package in it to go with the bigger wider wheels and the fat sticky sports tyres. Then it's back to having more engine than chassis, so you slap in a tuned 2JZ-GTE or an LS3 for 400 horsepower at the wheels, and you need to have the chassis seam-welded and a rollcage welded in, you get some track-spec suspension arms and race springs, dampers, and swaybars, and have all the rubber suspension bushes replaced with polyurethane. Chuck some huge aftermarket brakes and some R-compound semi slick tyres on and you're good to go.

Then you do some more work to the engine...

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Alright, I know that I'll almost regret asking, but:

Opinions:
    2013 GTI Base - 4 door, 6 speed, black on black, 38k miles, 21city/31highway, 200hp
    VS
    2012 Speed3 Touring, 6 speed, red, 30k miles, 18city/25highway, 286hp

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Opinions:
    2013 GTI Base - 4 door, 6 speed, black on black, 38k miles, 21city/31highway, 200hp
    VS

Well, the Speed3 is faster. I personally would go for the GTI, though. I don't live on a race track, so refinement definitely matters.

The Speed3 will be faster but the GTI is going to be a more refined car with a much nicer interior. I have a personal preference for the DSG GTI but there's nothing wrong with the manual if that's your preference.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Went out to lunch and popped a tire pulling into the restaurant's parking lot. Really thought I had pulled far enough over to miss it. Blargh.

The Speed3 will be faster but the GTI is going to be a more refined car with a much nicer interior. I have a personal preference for the DSG GTI but there's nothing wrong with the manual if that's your preference.

Manual is always the preference.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

Opinions:
    VS
    VS
    2011 WRX STi (hatchback), 6 speed, blue pearl, <40k miles, 17city/23highway, 305hp

STi!

:D

($30k though)

jdarksun on
    jdarksun wrote: »

Opinions:
    VS
    VS
    2011 WRX STi (hatchback), 6 speed, blue pearl, <40k miles, 17city/23highway, 305hp

STi!

:D

($30k though)

Dude, in a fucking heartbeat.

But I'm trying to keep this sub $20k. I just can't justify the added expense.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Do we have permission to recreate this thread when it gets locked?

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I should be captaining Team Speed3 but I don't think you can go wrong with either of those cars.

But really you should get an STI.

Everyone's saying it, we must be right.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Come to the dark side and buy an Evo. So I can have at least one Evo friend.

Evo...bwahahahahahahaha.

No.

Alright, the GTI was pretty fun, though I drove it in an utter deluge so it's not like I was able to actually corner hard in it or anything. Nice looking call all around. Previous owner upgraded the air intake, but that's about it.

That said, they (the dealership) had it listed as "GTI: Base Model" but are now actually saying that it is an Autobahn version.

Anyone have any good ways of telling? Can't seem to find anything online that would separate out the two. It had the plaid cloth leather seats, nav screen/system...etc.

What were the differences between a GTI and the "Autobahn" model? And what are plaid cloth leather seats? Is that like the regular GTI checkered cloth seats but with leather on the back and sides?

Yea, ignore "plaid cloth leather seats" that was me mixing words in my head after a long day.

Plaid/checkered cloth seats.

And what you're asking about the difference between a base GTI and an Autobahn is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    A quick google of VAG nerd forums has almost everyone talking about leather seats in relation to the Autobahn package (and a different stereo, fuckin' VAG nerds).

VW enthusiast forums are a great endorsement for getting a Speed3 instead.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    No leather, no Autobahn from what I can find.

Yea, ignore "plaid cloth leather seats" that was me mixing words in my head after a long day.

Plaid/checkered cloth seats.

And what you're asking about the difference between a base GTI and an Autobahn is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.
    A quick google of VAG nerd forums has almost everyone talking about leather seats in relation to the Autobahn package (and a different stereo, fuckin' VAG nerds).

VW enthusiast forums are a great endorsement for getting a Speed3 instead.
    iguanacus wrote: »
    No leather, no Autobahn from what I can find.

The "Autobahn" package sounds like a dealer edition rather than a factory special model, where they package some of the more expensive options together (leather, better stereo) and charge you slightly less for the bundle than if you optioned them all up on a regular vehicle.

Leather seats are easier to clean, but I prefer cloth. And the stereo you get in non-base model Golfs (GT, GTI, etc.) is pretty great anyway, so I honestly wouldn't give a shit about the "Autobahn" model.

I'd personally take the GTI over the Speed3, just for the higher levels of refinement and the suspension setup that I prefer.

As for VW enthusiasts...

Yep, they can be massive cockbags a lot of the time.

edited June 2015
    Mine's a 2010 but it's plaid seats, moon roof, LCD touchscreen but no nav, and halogen headlights. It's not a base because of the touchscreen and moon roof, but it's also not an autobahn because it doesn't have leather seats, 18" wheels, or the upgraded stereo. Maybe it's the convenience package?

I think a base GTI is cloth seats, no moon roof, non-touchscreen stereo, and halogen headlights. Here's a video overview of the 2013 convenience package https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFgGPzKN8Q

The golfMK6 and VWvortex forums are a divisive place. Some threads and areas are full of good information and have helped me figure out what I want to do with my car. But like all forums there are sections and people that are as bad as the comments on a YouTube video. However, I've never felt the need to make an account at either forum because while it's a good place for information (some taken with a healthy dose of skepticism especially when it comes to suspension modification) I've never felt the need to be part of the community.

Cormac on
    Come to the dark side and buy an Evo. So I can have at least one Evo friend.

My future brother in law has an Evo.. 7? 8? 7. (..8?) He put less stiff suspension on it when he got it.. it's still super crashy on rough roads. Quick though.

This discussion has been closed.