As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bard Prestige Classes?

naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
My friend is running a D&D 3.5 campaign, where we've played our characters from 1st to 8th level. My character, a Grippli (Small, treefrog-like creatures) highly specialized for fighting with a composite longbow, has just finished his story arc. He is also starting to seriously unbalance the party, having the only 1-to-1 BAB progression, and being--as I said--focused entirely on bow-fighting. His total to-hit is nearly 10 (+18/+18/+13, if < 30' from target) higher than the nearest party member, and his damage (1d6 + 1d6 cold + 7, if < 30') is equal to roughly three of the party put together.

When we were buying gear after the huge end to his arc, the DM politely asked me not to buy Greater Bracers of Archery, since at that point we'd have to encounter ONLY things that were resistant or impervious to bow damage. We just fought a huge group of monks, lead by a lycanthrope monk, so that would probably get old for EVERYONE quickly. I figure that if things have gotten to the point where I'm being asked to refocus my character for balance's sake, then things are well out of hand.

The moral of the story? I am considering (for the sake of party balance) switching to a new character, with a less specialized (or at least less threatening) build. My idea? A Diviner who makes his/her living by...errr...divining people's secrets, and then blackmailing them. I thought about Wiz/Loremaster, but that didn't thrill me. Bards have the advantage of being not only more skillful, but better at negotiation and "face" activities as well. Plus, I just love Glibness.

So, what prestige classes are out there for are Bard or (*sigh*) Sorcerer or Wizard of this type? I have 8 levels to work with at this point, but I don't need to be in it right away. I'm not afraid to multiclass, either.

tl;dr I'm looking for a Bard PrC, that will help with Divination and/or Bardic Knowledge. Spell Progession is a priority.

naporeon on

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Might I suggest you take cleric of say St. Cuthbert and then go into Church Inquisitor. Although that might make blackmailing people a tad more difficult.

PiptheFair on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ha. Yeah...I'm thinking that the God of Retribution might not be too pleased with that. Obviously, this will not be a Lawful character.

Oh, and this is in a homebrew setting. I could adapt St. Cuthbert into the pantheon, but he doesn't exist as of yet.

naporeon on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    naporeon wrote:
    Ha. Yeah...I'm thinking that the God of Retribution might not be too pleased with that. Obviously, this will not be a Lawful character.

Oh, and this is in a homebrew setting. I could adapt St. Cuthbert into the pantheon, but he doesn't exist as of yet.
    Ah, see the central problem with most bard PrC is that they tend to focus on the rogueish aspect rather than the face type.

PiptheFair on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    MM35_PG216.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Rust Monster
    You've got a day to give me a better explanation for that image than "thread assassination."

To the OP: Sublime Chord enhances bard spellcasting considerably, though you lose the music abilities.

Thanatos on