As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beard growth

The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I am went to college and realized that I no longer have to shave for my job. I may start working again in a few months, maybe not. However, my desire is to take the opportunity of the next 2-3 months to grow as mighty a beard as possible. Right now I've got something going on but not nearly close enough to people's primary reaction being DAMN WHAT A FUCKING BEARD.

Recommendations, tips, advice, magic secret formulas all welcome.

The Cow on

• Options
    HiredGunHiredGun Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Er... don't shave?

There isn't really a particular way to encourage beard growth. I'd give you grooming tips, but wild, messy, indie beards are kind of in right now.

If I were you, though, I'd give up some of the 'mightiness' for neatness. Shape the beard by shaving your neck / underside of your chin, and also your upper cheek, and whatever you keep, make sure it stays trim.

PS I am went to college as well.

HiredGun on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ahh mens love for facial hair knows no bounds.

Keep in mind women's love for facial hair is quite limited. Mainly due to the scratchyness on them when they kiss you.

I once grew a moustache for a month for charity, by the end of that month I would not get kissed by my girlfriend of the time who demanded it go with a week to go. I refused, I raised over a thousand dollars and was proud. She was bitter for a bit.

Blake T on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    trim your cheek lines just to have a nice sharp edge to them, and your neck up to your jaw TO A POINT

i mean do whatever you think looks best to you, but IMO you should have coverage under your jaw until it MEETS the neck.

/
            /              
           /       * ___/
          /       /
         /       /
    __/       /___

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    trim your cheek lines just to have a nice sharp edge to them, and your neck up to your jaw TO A POINT

i mean do whatever you think looks best to you, but IMO you should have coverage under your jaw until it MEETS the neck.

/
            /              
           /       * ___/
          /       /
         /       /
    __/       /___

Quoting because I love jailed people so much. Also because I can't grow a beard for crap.

kitch on
  • Options
    A-RodA-Rod Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If its patchy, and you cant grow it fully, dont do it. It ends up looking real ugly. Otherwise, maybe just shave the part on your neck and maybe even some of the cheeks...like Commander Riker if you ever watched the Next Generation - Star Trek.

A-Rod on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Cool, this is all useful information. I think I'm going to just look at pictures of Marx for a while and try to channel the OmegaBeard energies.

The Cow on
  • Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The commander Riker look is da shit. I might do that too. I'll need some trimming tools though.

Funny, I googled Commander Riker and because it is dark here right now I actually typed "Cummander Riker".

good times.

Bendit on
    My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2006
    Seriously, look at yourself honestly. Is your beard full and rich, or do you look like a cunt? If you look like a cunt, shave it off. It isn't going to get any better.

Tube on
  • Options
    RetoxRetox Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The Cow wrote:
    Right now I've got something going on but not nearly close enough to people's primary reaction being DAMN WHAT A FUCKING BEARD.

Recommendations, tips, advice, magic secret formulas all welcome.

Real men don't grow beards for other people. Real men grow beards because sometimes a man needs to grow damn beard.

As for advice, I only have piece. Forget the beard and grow a mustache. Do it for all of us who can't grow a mustache and even if we could we wouldn't because it looks terrible so we try to convince other people to do it because we think it's funny. Do it for us.

Retox on
  • Options
    PussumPussum Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    if youre going for a zztop look just don't shave, but if you still want to be social and mess with the womenz you need to keep that thing trimmed. It doesn't have to be short, but make it look neat. Your beard is going to grow at its own pace as well, so just let it do its thing.

Pussum on
    venomsigva5.png
  • Options
    Stickboy5Stickboy5 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I hope this isnt site whoring, as I am in no way affiliated with this site, but go to www.beards.org

I realized a month ago that my job allowed beards, as long as they were kept neat, so I went for it.... the site reccomends no shaving for 6 weeks, then trying to shape it to what you want. My only addition to that great advise is to establish a cheek line a little earlier (I started trimming from the bottom on week 3, an am glad I did, but dont cut too much), other than that the gallery there has a good selection of pics to pick a style, or get ideas on which way you wanna go.

As for me, I cut my hair even, almost like a long military cut, #3 triimer on top, #2 on the sides, and i an going to grow a full beard trimmed to match.

Good Luck!!

Stickboy5 on
    XBL: SAE Stick
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    While we're discussing beards, I have my own question.

I'm off in my first semester of college now (I'm 18) and I'm trying the whole "au natural" hair thing for fun. I haven't shaved in about 3 or 4 weeks so far and my beard is about as full as it's ever been before (I used to shave about every week or so in high school). My question begins in that my hair seems like it grows really really slow compared to other people, as in the longest and thickest part of my beard is my chin/jaw beneath the chin which is at longest about a centimeter after 4 weeks. Other than that I've got a modest 'stache and soul patch under the lip, and some decent sideburns, but the hair on my jawline between the sideburns and chin area is not quite as full. It doesn't look rediculous or anything, but it's not quite the magnificent beard a young man might aspire to.

So the actual question, being that I'm 18, is this prettymuch par for the course then? Is it possible for my beard to even out later on yet? Does growing a magnificent beard take longer than I'd thought and I just need time? This may be rubbish but I've also heard something about scandinavian people having slow facial hair growth (I'm like 85% Norwegian), is there any truth to that?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scosglen wrote:
    So the actual question, being that I'm 18, is this prettymuch par for the course then? Is it possible for my beard to even out later on yet? Does growing a magnificent beard take longer than I'd thought and I just need time? This may be rubbish but I've also heard something about scandinavian people having slow facial hair growth (I'm like 85% Norwegian), is there any truth to that?
    Some people just don't grow a lot of facial hair. This tends to be more common among some races, Scandinavian being one of them.

This isn't to say that it won't come in fuller as you get older, or that it won't come in fuller if you just keep letting it grow; however, you may just be one of those people who can't grow a beard.

If you are, consider yourself lucky; I practically have to shave twice a day to maintain any semblance of "clean-cut."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Generally speaking, unless you live in an area where the Mountain Man look is in... you want to go for a nice, simple beard that's close to your face and doesn't obscure your lips (From what I've seen, as soon as it starts taking over your lips, it makes you look like someone's grandpa).

ghw_gray_wo_beard_small.jpg

Beards like this allow you to show you've made your way past puberty without looking like you're trying to hit your mid-life crisis.

It's about the same as mine, and I don't age.

Now, if you're part of a particular SOCIAL NICHE... then your beard options will vary between them. You can get away with soul patches and the like in many cases, or a constant "4 O'Clock Shadow," but if you start getting in to beards that just loop around your chin, or things like mutton chops... realize that you're tagging yourself for certain comfort levels with different people.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Blaket wrote:
    Ahh mens love for facial hair knows no bounds.

Keep in mind women's love for facial hair is quite limited. Mainly due to the scratchyness on them when they kiss you.

I once grew a moustache for a month for charity, by the end of that month I would not get kissed by my girlfriend of the time who demanded it go with a week to go. I refused, I raised over a thousand dollars and was proud. She was bitter for a bit.

As for the itchyness thing, my beard trimmer came with a mustache comb, which I use daily to keep things neat, and when I wash my hair, I use the same conditioner on the beard that I do on the rest of my head. It's kept everything nice, soft, and non scratchy when in close contact.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    blue powderblue powder Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    HiredGun wrote:
    Er... don't shave?

There isn't really a particular way to encourage beard growth. I'd give you grooming tips, but wild, messy, indie beards are kind of in right now.

If I were you, though, I'd give up some of the 'mightiness' for neatness. Shape the beard by shaving your neck / underside of your chin, and also your upper cheek, and whatever you keep, make sure it stays trim.

PS I am went to college as well.

hahahah i lol'd

blue powder on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just keep it trimmed and neat. Don't look like a dirty hobo. If you start to get fangs in the moustache that go really near your mouth you know you've let it go too far.

Don't be like WonderBoy.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    Captain Fantazmo LaserbeeCaptain Fantazmo Laserbee Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It's pretty straightforward. There really isn't much more to say. Speaking of that, I hate to hijack your thread (It will only be for a second, I promise)...I saw something on G4 the other day where a kid sprayed a guy in the face with a hose, and then subsequently sprayed his ass down while saying "I'm just trying to make everything run smoothly", until the guy finally chased him away...and I was wondering what this was or where I could find it. I -would- have asked in linksville...but it's locked, and SE++ seems a little bit too incoherent...Eh. This almost counts as "help"

Captain Fantazmo Laserbee on
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have another question. I'm currently trying to get with this girl. I want to not shave, but do you guys have any experience on how most girls react to, well, beards?

I once had a girl tell me she hated guys with hair on the face.

#14 on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    #14 wrote:
    I have another question. I'm currently trying to get with this girl. I want to not shave, but do you guys have any experience on how most girls react to, well, beards?

I once had a girl tell me she hated guys with hair on the face.

I know a lot of girls who like a beard in theory but not in practice. In other words they may think it looks cool but:

80% ouch, please shave.

15% hee hee that tickles, please shave.

5% mmmmm,.... that tickles please don't stop!

edit: also, new meaning to the phrase "flavr savr"

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    My fiancée loves my beard, then again her dad and all her brothers sport very nice looking beards.. so yea, she is always around beards.

Have a some of Wolfman Jack silver in my beard.. just in the chin area, everything is still dark.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
This discussion has been closed.