As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Oddly enough, part of the reason I wanted to do a good-guy Sith, the first guy character I ever wanted to roll, was because of doing evil lady sith and thinking Vette was such a bro that she deserved a good guy. Then I actually did the romance and they made it all... creepy.

Also I don't take it as her being particularly young, since they don't state her age. I assumed she was in her 20s. Slightness of figure doesn't necessarily mean she's underage. But now that I've seen the romance, It's clear then were aiming that romance at a particular audience that prizes youth and naiveté in a woman.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I felt like they did that sort of thing with Nadia Grell. Mechanically she's one of the best companions for a consular since she shares the same gear, and having a naive padawan is fine...but that you can romance her? Doesn't quite sit right.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Oddly enough, part of the reason I wanted to do a good-guy Sith, the first guy character I ever wanted to roll, was because of doing evil lady sith and thinking Vette was such a bro that she deserved a good guy. Then I actually did the romance and they made it all... creepy.

Also I don't take it as her being particularly young, since they don't state her age. I assumed she was in her 20s. Slightness of figure doesn't necessarily mean she's underage. But now that I've seen the romance, It's clear then were aiming that romance at a particular audience that prizes youth and naiveté in a woman.

Well I've completed all conversations (for a non romance) on my Warrior with Vette, and regardless of her physical age she is child-like and to me that is a romance-killer.

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Seeing as how people will happily recommend geek novels, without considering that some of us don't want to spend our free time reading about 16 y/o and the 40 y/o they have sex with ... I'm not too surprised that people thought that (the Vette romance) was a great romance story.

(Was actually a SWtOR podcast, among others, who recommended that audio-book ... I don't get people.)

[edit] Clarification.

Commodore75 on
    Well, I'm sure a lot of the players (especially now that it's FTP) are teens so Vette is probably emotionally right on par with them.

It's just not for me.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm sure a lot of the players (especially now that it's FTP) are teens so Vette is probably emotionally right on par with them.

It's just not for me.

It's not impossible for it to be a more satisfying romance than that (for one, none of my "canon" characters are older than 25; my Warrior's like 21, and gets a hell of a wakeup call from the pampered privileged life of a Force-sensitive Sithblooded human noble when he got send to the Academy). The main issue is that in order for it to be romantic and not creepy you have to play a lot of "defense". Once Vette is clued in that you're into her, you have to sit back and let her take the lead.
    This often means avoiding the Flirt options, but she often not only gets more affection but is written as being happier and more comfortable if you do. If you let her make the first kiss, propose to you, proposition you, it comes off as a lot less creepy. There's still issues, but as long as she has that agency it's not too bad, at least to me.

I don't think Vette is as naive as she comes across. She has had a shit life. She was a slave and a pirate and an assassin and has been to jail and been tortured by Sith and her sister is a sex slave until the two of you rescue her. She's not like Merrill in Dragon Age 2, who came off to be as acting naive to put people who were afraid of Dalish elves at ease; I think she clings to that naivete as an attempt to reclaim a lost childhood. She has issues as a result, but every companion in every Bioware game has issues. Your primary role as PC is savior of the world; your secondary is being kind of a living emotional crutch.

Even if Vette weren't naive, it would still be a problematic relationship with you as the aggressor, because legally she is your slave (if you remove the collar at the first opportunity, you explicitly tell her it's not freedom; I interpret that as keeping her close so that Baras doesn't treat her like a loose end that needs to be cut off, but that means the rest of the Empire still sees her as property)...and even if she wasn't, you are a Sith, so she is functionally if not in name.

It still comes off as creeptastic with Nadia, because if anything she's more naive than Vette, but playing defense does alleviate some of the problems.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Dark side Jaesa is basically a brain-washed cultist. So while she's perfect for an evil apprentice that I don't need to worry about backstabbing me, not so great as a romantic interest. Come to think of it, I don't think I've been too thrilled with any of my characters romance options. Still holding out for the day that my bounty hunter can leave Mako and be reunited with his true love, Nemro the Hutt's receptionist.

steam_sig.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Seeing as how people will happily recommend geek novels, without considering that some of us don't want to spend our free time reading about 16 y/o and 40 y/o they have sex with ... I'm not too surprised that people thought that was a great romance story.

(Was actually a SWtOR podcast, among others, who recommended that audio-book ... I don't get people.)

Wait, what story has a 16 year old getting together with a 40 year old? Gross.

I think the thing that bothers me about Vette is that the story between Vette and the Warrior doesn't seem like "two teens awkwardly getting together." Instead it's the knowledgeable man-of-the-world getting together with the sassy and street-wise - yet strangely innocent! - Vette, who also is totally down with bondage for her first sexual experience. It's the worst kind of "perfect woman" wish fulfillment, for those whom "perfect" means that she has no experience but also no inhibitions, Madonna and whore all in one. Vette is like the Edward Cullen of SWTOR romance.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Seeing as how people will happily recommend geek novels, without considering that some of us don't want to spend our free time reading about 16 y/o and 40 y/o they have sex with ... I'm not too surprised that people thought that was a great romance story.

Super gross.
    If you want to know what novel that was, go to the nearest library and ask them for help finding a book that fits that description. Bring a book, so you have something to read while they call the authorities. ;P
    (I.e. I see no reason to mention its name.)
    Not sure why ppl think it's such a great novel. But apparently they do. And have no problem recommending it to others.

Wrt Nadia, now I'm very happy I played through both Sages as well as Shadows as ladies.
    I always liked Nadia. She wasn't a favorite, but I never understood some peoples dislike of here.
    Out side of the Trooper, so rare to find a companion I like hanging out with, who also does so well with my hand-me-downs.

Veagle wrote: »
    Dark side Jaesa is basically a brain-washed cultist. So while she's perfect for an evil apprentice that I don't need to worry about backstabbing me, not so great as a romantic interest. Come to think of it, I don't think I've been too thrilled with any of my characters romance options. Still holding out for the day that my bounty hunter can leave Mako and be reunited with his true love, Nemro the Hutt's receptionist.

You're in love with a corpse?

Super gross.
    If you want to know what novel that was, go to the nearest library and ask them for help finding a book that fits that description. Bring a book, so you have something to read while they call the authorities. ;P
    Not sure why ppl think it's such a great novel. But apparently they do. And have no problem recommending it to others.

Wrt Nadia, now I'm very happy I played through both Sages as well as Shadows as ladies.
    I always liked Nadia. She wasn't a favorite, but I never understood some peoples dislike of here.
    Out side of the Trooper, so rare to find a companion I like hanging out with, who also does so well with my hand-me-downs.

ahem Risha!

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

I think the thing that bothers me about Vette is that the story between Vette and the Warrior doesn't seem like "two teens awkwardly getting together." Instead it's the knowledgeable man-of-the-world getting together with the sassy and street-wise - yet strangely innocent! - Vette, who also is totally down with bondage for her first sexual experience. It's the worst kind of "perfect woman" wish fulfillment, for those whom "perfect" means that she has no experience but also no inhibitions, Madonna and whore all in one. Vette is like the Edward Cullen of SWTOR romance.

Yeah, the whole Vette romance was disappointing, and most scenes made me feel uncomfortable.

Which sucks, because it initially seemed like the concept for Vette was "take Mission Vao from KOTOR 1, make her older and more mature, and give her a cynical sassiness that comes from living a hard-knock life." That's a concept I was totally down for.

Buuuuut they didn't follow through with that.

Honestly, the only Force-user X Force-user relationship that doesn't feel weird to me is Kira. It's the only one that gives both parties equal power in the relationship.

That said, I do kinda like Ashara since she pushes your Inquisitor to argue Sith philosophy. Her discussion with you about "Peace is a lie" was pretty neat.

My favorite romance so far, though, is with Vector.

IKknkhU.gif
    Orca wrote: »

Super gross.

ahem Risha!

Risha really is the best romance in the game. She and the male smuggler play off each other well, also she's smarter than him which is important for his future life expectancy, as he is... a bit dim.

Super gross.

ahem Risha!

Risha really is the best romance in the game. She and the male smuggler play off each other well, also she's smarter than him which is important for his future life expectancy, as he is... a bit dim.

I need to make a male smuggler, because Risha was the broest of bros (sistest of sisters?) for my FemSmuggler.

Super gross.

ahem Risha!

I need to make a male smuggler, because Risha was the broest of bros (sistest of sisters?) for my FemSmuggler.

I think my favorite moment as a fem smuggler was telling Risha,
    "String Count Merild along awhile, get what you can out of him, and then get hitched or dump him as you prefer."

I didn't feel like the romance with Ashara was unequal. She is under your protection, but she isn't a sith apprentice. She challenges the inquisitor (male or female) all the time, usually to make a point. Subservient people don't go full socratic on you :-p

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Most of my female characters went romance-less, now that I think about it. Now that I've done SotR, all of my characters belong to Lana anyway.

edited June 2015
    Ugh.

I finally finish chapter two Consular and it's like, "we're at war, the fight is on!"

Two seconds later "We must seek out allies".

I HAVE LITERALLY BEEN DOING THAT FOR ALL OF CHAPTER 2

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Regina Fong on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Don't worry. The dumb is only just beginning.

Oh yeah, I forgot one more gross thing about Vette: she doesn't know she's pretty until you tell her. It's not that she's flattered and coquettish when you say she's pretty... it's that she does the "you really think I'm pretty?" bullshit that no idealized video game character should ever do. If you're going to pull something like that than at least you need to make her in some way more "plain" than the other faces in the game. If she's got the same flawless face as every other NPC then the line ends up just sounding dumb.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Some aspects of Vette's personality could be handwaved away because of her background, her upbringing with pirates and stuff, almost ending up in slavery like her sister, etc.

But there's still a lot of aspects of Vette that are just creeptastic or turn offs or kind of raise the question of why do we have this person on our ship and crew?

488W936.png
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Vette always had a "hot" sister (to the point the family knew damn well what "job" she'd get as a slave, and were right), and spent a lot of time with people who likely weren't terribly discriminating with women, and involved a lot of whores, barwenches, and other "loose" types.

So, basically, it's not that she was told she was ugly so much that she was either too young (because in the star wars universe sexual abuse of underaged girls is just not going to be brought up as a 'thing', too family friendly) and a friend to Risha, or with people that didn't think that way (the Twilek gang didn't seem real predatory, doofy, but not predatory).......and her experience with "pretty" women was observing the previously mentioned whores and barwenches, with the only real comparison being the "not-hot" sister (a comparison made when she was incredibly young as well).

So I can see her being surprised at being called "pretty". At least in a non-sarcastic or insulting manner.

edited June 2015
    Astale wrote: »
    Vette always had a "hot" sister (to the point the family knew damn well what "job" she'd get as a slave, and were right), and spent a lot of time with people who likely weren't terribly discriminating with women, and involved a lot of whores, barwenches, and other "loose" types.

So, basically, it's not that she was told she was ugly so much that she was either too young (because in the star wars universe sexual abuse of underaged girls is just not going to be brought up as a 'thing', too family friendly) and a friend to Risha, or with people that didn't think that way (the Twilek gang didn't seem real predatory, doofy, but not predatory).......and her experience with "pretty" women was observing the previously mentioned whores and barwenches, with the only real comparison being the "not-hot" sister (a comparison made when she was incredibly young as well).

So I can see her being surprised at being called "pretty". At least in a non-sarcastic or insulting manner.

On the contrary, in an environment like that I can see her becoming a target of predatory behavior, even if it's not in her immediate family and friends - and predatory behavior from an earlier age than most girls would experience it. By the time someone like that is 11, they know that men find them attractive in the most uncomfortable way imaginable. "She grew up in a whorehouse" (or the SWTOR equivalent environment) would create the exact opposite sort of dynamic than what you're supposing. Star Wars may not be willing to bring up that kind of thing directly, but considering Hutt's slave women they clearly are willing to hint at sexual abuse obliquely. Besides, she can still have been protected from anything too direct, like touching or being left alone with a perv, but still have been given an idea of what's on pervy men's minds as she grew up. "Hey girl, you looking nice, how soon until you're old enough?" would be enough of a thing to give her a hint.

Cambiata on
    Let us remember that we live in a world where there used to be an online "When will Emma Watson be legal?" internet website clock.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

I mean, yeah, you can do the narrative gymnastics to explain why Vette would say something like that. And if all of Vette's other problems didn't exist, it might be reasonable.

But the problem is that, as Cambiata has pointed out, Vette kinda gets portrayed more as an idealized sexual/romantic fantasy than as, you know, a character.

And the whole "you think I'm pretty?" trope is a part of that. Like rom-coms where they have a beautiful actress wear dorky glasses in order to pretend that they're somehow "plain;" and then later in the movie they take the glasses off and WOAH SHE WAS SECRETLY HOT THE WHOLE TIME.

Basically, it's a lazy way of portraying the character as cute, naive, and/or "innocent" (while giving the player a false sense of moral superiority) without having to actually challenge anyone's assumptions about traditional beauty standards. It's pretty much just for the purpose of raising Vette's value as a sexual object, rather than increasing her depth as a character.

It's a trope I fucking hate, if you couldn't tell.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Javen wrote: »
    Most of my female characters went romance-less, now that I think about it. Now that I've done SotR, all of my characters belong to Lana anyway.

The female characters seem to get short shrift on the romances.

As a Jedi Knight, you get Doc, who is so incredibly full of himself I'd like to slap some sense into him. I've only had him with a male character, so maybe you can break past the brash front at some point. I dunno.
    As a Consular, you get KriegarTharan (sorta) or Iresso (not bad, just boring)
    As a Smuggler you get gag airlock-baitCorso
    As a Trooper, you get Aric (stick up his butt, if you like that sorta thing. He's no Garrus)
    As an Agent, you get BugboyVector. His romance is sweet, but it just wasn't my thing. Again, not Garrus.
    As an Inquisitor, you get Andronikos. Maybe this guy is OK, I haven't followed that conversation path all the way to its conclusion yet.

I can't speak for the Bounty Hunter or Warrior female romances as I haven't completed either.

I do find it offputting that there are more romances for male characters than female, and that about half of the classes have a female romanceable character that at best unequal to the player character. I can see they're pushing Mako on me with the Bounty Hunter, and she's written pretty damn young--she feels like the Bounty Hunter equivalent of Nadia.

The Mako romance is much more a sidekick-hero relationship than master-student or *gag* master-slave.

Mako thinks the BH is the greatest BH in the galaxy and she's definitely starry-eyed about it. But the character is written as being highly competent and savvy, someone who is out to prove herself, not just please the protagonist.

Mostly, Mako is an inexorable force pushing the BH (male or female) to be a better person (and make LS decisions).

You can't corrupt Mako. Mako corrupts you.

Also, given that the BH story has the player character basically just having been "discovered" by an old veteran it's likely that the BH himself (or herself) isn't much older than Mako.

Either that or he's just recently made a career change I guess.

Part of the difficulty in writing companions to be fully-realized people with full agency is that the writers had to answer the question "Why is this person following the protagonist around to all these planets doing dangerous things?" Twenty times.

20 times. So yeah, you end up with numerous "sidekick" and "apprentice" companions, same as you end up with numerous "soldier" companions.

I see no way to avoid that.

Stilts wrote: »

I mean, yeah, you can do the narrative gymnastics to explain why Vette would say something like that. And if all of Vette's other problems didn't exist, it might be reasonable.

But the problem is that, as Cambiata has pointed out, Vette kinda gets portrayed more as an idealized sexual/romantic fantasy than as, you know, a character.

And the whole "you think I'm pretty?" trope is a part of that. Like rom-coms where they have a beautiful actress wear dorky glasses in order to pretend that they're somehow "plain;" and then later in the movie they take the glasses off and WOAH SHE WAS SECRETLY HOT THE WHOLE TIME.

Basically, it's a lazy way of portraying the character as cute, naive, and/or "innocent" (while giving the player a false sense of moral superiority) without having to actually challenge anyone's assumptions about traditional beauty standards. It's pretty much just for the purpose of raising Vette's value as a sexual object, rather than increasing her depth as a character.

It's a trope I fucking hate, if you couldn't tell.

But still, within the logic of the story, it makes sense.

You can't really go "but in real terms" when it's a fantasy setting.

You can call it shit writing as a whole, sure.

And they call make all the codex entries they want, we all know Mako and Vette are totally underage.

The Mako romance is much more a sidekick-hero relationship than master-student or *gag* master-slave.

Mako thinks the BH is the greatest BH in the galaxy and she's definitely starry-eyed about it. But the character is written as being highly competent and savvy, someone who is out to prove herself, not just please the protagonist.

Mostly, Mako is an inexorable force pushing the BH (male or female) to be a better person (and make LS decisions).

Oh, she tries.

Then I murder an entire family because I can.

Wrong answer, Mako.

And they call make all the codex entries they want, we all know Mako and Vette are totally underage.

Nah.

Oh, she tries.

Wrong answer, Mako.

You're a monster!

Oh, she tries.

Wrong answer, Mako.

You're a monster!

I'm having a great time being a cartoonish villain leaving as large a body count behind me as possible. I have on several occasions laughed out loud at how completely monstrous I was being.

It's great!

Oh, she tries.

Wrong answer, Mako.

You're a monster!

I'm having a great time being a cartoonish villain leaving as large a body count behind me as possible. I have on several occasions laughed out loud at how completely monstrous I was being.

It's great!

I'm having a similar experience with my Consular.

I occasionally make LS decisions but it's pretty rare. I think the most recent one was on Hoth, the little elephant man in the reactor that you were sent to blow up begs you not to blow it up and defend it against Imperials instead. You can destroy it anyway for DS points but I was like "Nah, I'd rather kill Imps than terrorize little elephant people".

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

The female characters seem to get short shrift on the romances.

As a Jedi Knight, you get Doc, who is so incredibly full of himself I'd like to slap some sense into him. I've only had him with a male character, so maybe you can break past the brash front at some point. I dunno.
    As a Consular, you get KriegarTharan (sorta) or Iresso (not bad, just boring)
    As a Smuggler you get gag airlock-baitCorso
    As a Trooper, you get Aric (stick up his butt, if you like that sorta thing. He's no Garrus)
    As an Agent, you get BugboyVector. His romance is sweet, but it just wasn't my thing. Again, not Garrus.
    As an Inquisitor, you get Andronikos. Maybe this guy is OK, I haven't followed that conversation path all the way to its conclusion yet.

I can't speak for the Bounty Hunter or Warrior female romances as I haven't completed either.

I do find it offputting that there are more romances for male characters than female, and that about half of the classes have a female romanceable character that at best unequal to the player character. I can see they're pushing Mako on me with the Bounty Hunter, and she's written pretty damn young--she feels like the Bounty Hunter equivalent of Nadia.

Sith Warrior romance you get Quinn and Pierce. I went with the Quinn option and then BIG SPOILER
    Quinn betrayed me and I even got to use the "I thought you loved me!" line and then proceeded to choke the shit out of him and breakup with him. If we still had the ability to kill companions, I would have murdered him to death in that room.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Check back a couple of pages to find out how you can RP your fantasy.

"If you want me to steal your ship and run, just lie there and don't move."

I like Gault!