As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hello [Fallout thread], this is John Henry Eden and you're listening to Enclave Radio

1525354555658»

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I was just thinking, remember when they trademarked the pipboy a little while ago?

Yeah.... now we know why.

Fallout 4 is going to be the ultimate immersive experience.

Bethesda is going to start an actual nuclear holocaust and turn the real world into an actual post-apocalyptic hellscape. Why just play Fallout, when you can live it?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    RedTide wrote: »
    This news has spread like the clap except I've heard it and regret nothing.

Just like the clap, I've been sharing this generously.....

Wait...

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I too would love to have my mind blown. And then my brain put in a jar and used to develop strange doomsday technologies!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I was just thinking, remember when they trademarked the pipboy a little while ago?

Yeah.... now we know why.

Fallout 4 is going to be the ultimate immersive experience.

Bethesda is going to start an actual nuclear holocaust and turn the real world into an actual post-apocalyptic hellscape. Why just play Fallout, when you can live it?

You thought fifteen years of Gamebryo in your computer was bad, Bethesda has figured out how to apply it to real life! REPENT, SINNER!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Get ready to board the hype train guys:
    http://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/mobile

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    you know its a Bethesda game when you accidentally pick up a tin can and the entire fucking world goes bonkers and tries to kill you.

You also know it's a Bethesda game when you can pick up a tin can, and it's an actual physical object in that world and not a icon image, and you can manipulate it and drag it around and then drop it somewhere else and it stays there forever

and then die for no reasons cause physics, or worse get launched into low earth orbit because physics.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Is this where they'll make the announcement?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Is this where they'll make the announcement?
    There and the website... and also probably on twitter.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'll keep my cherry intact. Its so rare to be hyped up these days with a new generation of entitled gamers ruining everything. Haven't gotten a BA and asking Tim Schafer how he runs a business.

But the fact that you people keeping sharing this bomb doesn't surprise me as the paid mod ......experiment proved that Bethesda and Zenimax have been in an experimenting mood and understand that now is the time to make a huge leap from where F3, NV, and TESV set them up.....four years ago....or was it two?

A real wishlist item that is feasible, make the enemy AI cross water. Greatest moment in Oblivion was watching a strange shape cross a smaller pond to the west of the imperial city and I was curious what it was and OH SHIT! BEAR!

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'd like enemy AI that utilized cover at all. Gunfights feel more like slugging matches between line-dancing mannequins, which is problematic when most fighting is done with guns. When combat begins, seek nearby chairs (and crouch), walls, cabinets, whatever, and only come out to fire between reloads, when relocating, or when searching for the player.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Here's hoping Supermutant Behemoths send people flying like the giants in Skyrim.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Suriko wrote: »
    I'd like enemy AI that utilized cover at all. Gunfights feel more like slugging matches between line-dancing mannequins, which is problematic when most fighting is done with guns. When combat begins, seek nearby chairs (and crouch), walls, cabinets, whatever, and only come out to fire between reloads, when relocating, or when searching for the player.

The problem is that Bethesda has shitty AI to begin with and the AI has never been the focus of their games (even the "dragon AI" for Skyrim felt like a point they brought up a year before release as hype and stopped hyping when it didn't pan out), and enemy AI that uses organic cover is clearly pretty hard since nobody actually does it well. The other option to effectively implement cover would be to make it a cover based shooter with obvious cover points for you and enemies, which I really don't want in Fallout because that kind of thing always looks gimmicky; even in critically acclaimed games like The Last of Us it was blatant.

EDIT: Also, as much as I hate TES combat, I never found the gun slugfests that terrible. You could effectively use cover and enemies would at least charge to strip you of that, but VATs and the fact enemies tended to stay in range made trash fights satisfyingly quick. The only problem I ever had was the charge+HP soak style enemies that basically forced you to engage in TES style "back up, hit, and hope you die before they do."

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Rage had the best FPS mix of cover I've played in a while. Too bad their open world was all vehicle combat.

Oh, bullet sponge enemies aren't bad if they are few and far between. Make them special, like the heavies in Killzone 1. But if you level up, they......

Its the thing the first fallout games and crpg's in general do well. You go from a guppy to able to take a few punches to heavily armored and scared of a critical hit.

Balance is a beast.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »

The problem is that Bethesda has shitty AI to begin with and the AI has never been the focus of their games (even the "dragon AI" for Skyrim felt like a point they brought up a year before release as hype and stopped hyping when it didn't pan out), and enemy AI that uses organic cover is clearly pretty hard since nobody actually does it well. The other option to effectively implement cover would be to make it a cover based shooter with obvious cover points for you and enemies, which I really don't want in Fallout because that kind of thing always looks gimmicky; even in critically acclaimed games like The Last of Us it was blatant.

EDIT: Also, as much as I hate TES combat, I never found the gun slugfests that terrible. You could effectively use cover and enemies would at least charge to strip you of that, but VATs and the fact enemies tended to stay in range made trash fights satisfyingly quick. The only problem I ever had was the charge+HP soak style enemies that basically forced you to engage in TES style "back up, hit, and hope you die before they do."

Half-Life 2 AI. I always bring it up, because it always brought the goods.

Just play Minerva, and enjoy actual battles of wits with the AI. I mean, you'll almost definitely be smarter, but they're clever enough to be fun to fight.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I hope they have the multiple body types from Skyrim, I can't go back to fallout 3s mass produced mannequins

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    At least the potatofaces are gone.

Edit: Was poking about on the site, and:
    k0v7DC9.png
    Hopefully not a portent.

Suriko on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    FFS. Why!? Bethesda I support you in everything, defend pretty much every aspect of your games. But releasing this on last gen as well? It just garauntees it's going to be hamstrung

It severely reduces my hype if that turns out to be true

Tho since the URL is using Bethblog it might not be related to fallout 4

Prohass on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Please use this exciting new thread to discuss the announcement.

Also if one of you wish to be OP then speak up in that thread.

Geth, close the thread.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bobkins Flymo. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.