As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Yes. Yes, you can.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Purely as a suggestion, maybe you can offer to cook them dinner as a thankyou and just make it something you should be eating?

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I have offered and been declined so far, it's a old fashioned Southern hospitality thing, but thank you for the suggestion!

The issue is less 'meals' and more that eating is a constant activity done regardless of hunger--food as a distraction, food as soothing, food as a filler for activity, all of which are things I grew up with

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Mindless eating is such a hard fucking thing to unlearn.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    It's great the way all the food companies design their chips and snacks to not be too flavorful so you don't stop eating them.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Mindless eating is such a hard fucking thing to unlearn.

This is something I can relate to!

And what helps me is having some hardboiled eggs handy. Some salt and Tabasco and I'll eat one or two and it's a nice little protein snack.

It's not the greatest, but it's better than going in for a handful of chips and then like oh there's the bag gone! Which I usually don't buy chips for that reason.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    There is a cake shop at the end of my new street. The cakes are very good cakes. Help.

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Officially down 30 pounds since the holidays today. I've done that using hardcore bouts of keto mixed with weeks at a time of falling off, gaining a few pounds back, and putting my nose to the grindstone again. Also, getting an exercise bike in front of my TV so I can play FIFA while I work out has also had an impact.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I've gotten back into the habit of working out regularly these past 3 months. I haven't lost weight, staying at 230 lbs, but I have been losing waist inches. If this trend continues I'll be 230 lbs of solid muscle. I'm okay with that.

But if the trend continues even further my bones too will be replaced by muscle and I'll become a useless pile of mush! Full circle.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Made my boyfriend and I get up and go to the gym this morning. Only 30 minutes at the gym in my apartment complex, but it's better than nothing. Gotta get back into the habit!

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I want to get in a day of light lifting. Stuff like pull ups, chin ups and a few curls - specifically wrist and bicep. I think I should also go to the doctor to check if I have diabetes or some such. I have negative effects of any kind, but my dad has diabetes and it's good to be on top of shit.

Also, need to look at my diet. Might go back to planning an entire week at a time. Only way to avoid the pitfalls of delivered salty sugar grease.

Fuck off and die.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    West-east jetlag has messed up my running schedule in ways I did not predict. I've got to get a handle on this before the weekend.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Weighed just under 190 today, first time I could say that in at least a year. So help me I will destroy this remaining pouch I've got on my gut.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    There is a cake shop at the end of my new street. The cakes are very good cakes. Help.

They are building a San churros down the road from me.

I was fine when they were like ten kilometres away.

Now I am scared.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Started counting calories again. It's not like I don't know when something is healthy and unhealthy but it's really helping me out to stay accountable.

Though man..fucking condiments. I often make tuna salad for a quick lunch and decided to actually use a tablespoon to measure my mayo serving. Had no idea how many calories I was actually using. :/

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2015
    Mustard is super low cal and delicious. It's an awesome condiment.

Not, however, an 'exceptional condiment', which is the name of some kind of pepper/yuzu concoction I bought in a gourmet grocery store. Can't wait to try that one.

tynic on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

Every time you buy a cake send it to me.

I am help.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Also, why is it that it's 2015 and restaurants still aren't putting their nutritional values online?

I get not putting it on the actual menu but it shouldn't be this hard to keep track of things when I go eat out.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Also, why is it that it's 2015 and restaurants still aren't putting their nutritional values online?

I get not putting it on the actual menu but it shouldn't be this hard to keep track of things when I go eat out.

Because restaurant portions have ridiculous calorie counts. It's purely an issue of 'we're not legally bound to, not doing so doesn't cost us significant business, but actually letting our customers know that many of our dishes have calorie counts in the thousands would cause an uproar'

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    And unfortunately, putting calorie counts on restaurant menus doesn't seem to really impact the choices people make, at least at that meal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXMts38a3rc

Granted, more information isn't a bad thing and it does seem like it could help people who are actively tracking their food intake

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Started counting calories again. It's not like I don't know when something is healthy and unhealthy but it's really helping me out to stay accountable.

Though man..fucking condiments. I often make tuna salad for a quick lunch and decided to actually use a tablespoon to measure my mayo serving. Had no idea how many calories I was actually using. :/

Get a nice cheap kitchen scale with a tare function, makes it much easier! Zero out the container, add tuna, write, zero out, add mayo, write.

Though a tablespoon of condiment here and there isn't going to make much of a difference, I measure every stupid thing because I'm a nerd.

I would download a car.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I haven't heard of dad bod until just now in this thread.
    And unfortunately, putting calorie counts on restaurant menus doesn't seem to really impact the choices people make, at least at that meal

Granted, more information isn't a bad thing and it does seem like it could help people who are actively tracking their food intake

It certainly impacts the decisions I personally make at restaurants. Give me all the information please.

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    cornell wrote: »
    Officially down 30 pounds since the holidays today. I've done that using hardcore bouts of keto mixed with weeks at a time of falling off, gaining a few pounds back, and putting my nose to the grindstone again. Also, getting an exercise bike in front of my TV so I can play FIFA while I work out has also had an impact.

Hmmm, I wonder if I've got the coordination to exercise bike and play Destiny at the same time? Probably not to be honest as some days I can't even manage Destiny on its own that well.

But I was planning on watching Bradley Wiggins' attempt at the hour record on Sunday, might drag the bike out for that and ride along with him.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

Get a nice cheap kitchen scale with a tare function, makes it much easier! Zero out the container, add tuna, write, zero out, add mayo, write.

Though a tablespoon of condiment here and there isn't going to make much of a difference, I measure every stupid thing because I'm a nerd.

There are roughly 100 calories in a tablespoon of butter and 57ish in a tablespoon of mayo, tablespoons of condiment can make a huge fucking difference.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I replaced mayo with sour cream in my tuna for example because it's much less calorie dense.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Home made mayo is also lighter in calories than store bought, and food processors are cheap

Javen on
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

Weigh ALL the things, a tablespoon of mayo is 24 grams in my experience

I've been using myfitnesspal, not out of any real drive to lose weight but just to keep track of my food and have an easily viewable reminder of how long it's been since I had gluten - celiac or no, it's been fucking hard to not eat gluten - and to have a list of foods to look at when I do get gluten-y symptoms. They offer a premium version of the app now and I thought oh, maybe that would be worth like $10 once, but they want $10 a month? ffffffff

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I need to start myfitnesspal again, I started going to the gym regularly (for the last 2-3 weeks, its a start!) but my eating is still out of whack

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I fell off of my close tracking of macros and need to get back on it but life is overwhelming and busy and agh

Haven't lost the gym routine, only missed a few days here and there but gotta fix the eating

I still ain't broken much past 140 lbs (in the upwards direction)
    Need more proteins per day

poo
    I've had a couple of weeks off the gym due to the move, but next week is the goal for getting at least some of the home gym set up. Found some pretty great deals, and should have a rack, platform, bar and weights by the end of next week.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You also have the floor to ceiling mirrors for one entire wall? Watching yourself do bicep curls in the mirror with your shirt off leads to mad gainz.

oh yeah, that was the first thing when I moved in. I had the ceiling replaced with a mirror so I could keep looking doing bench sets.

Also! I decided to build a rack again. Even a cheap solution I was looking at around 5-600 dollars, and the total cost for a self made platform and rack was around $100. In light of that, fuck it. I do want to finally get some decent safeties though.

You really don't even need a bench.

guqki9vyyiki.png

How did you make it yourself tube?

Please don't answer just with, tubes.

It's super easy. A simple squat only rack for example you'd just screw together three lengths of wood like this

and voila, you have a strong, non-adjustable squat rack which you can then screw into the wall for bracing. For a squat and bench system it'll look more like

It sounds laughably simplistic, but a good, simple wood rack is a lot more solid than a cheap, badly welded metal one.

shit that didn't work at all did it

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I was thinking something more like:

t7kehNB.png?1

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    It's super easy. A simple squat only rack for example you'd just screw together three lengths of wood like this
    -----------------
    -------------
    --------------

and voila, you have a strong, non-adjustable squat rack which you can then screw into the wall for bracing. For a squat and bench system it'll look more like
    ----------------------------------
    ------------------------------
    -------------------------------
    ---------------
    ----------------

It sounds laughably simplistic, but a good, simple wood rack is a lot more solid than a cheap, badly welded metal one.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Because restaurant portions have ridiculous calorie counts. It's purely an issue of 'we're not legally bound to, not doing so doesn't cost us significant business, but actually letting our customers know that many of our dishes have calorie counts in the thousands would cause an uproar'

I just bragged about losing 10kg in six months.

But I also managed to do something similar in 2013 in six weeks when I was in Japan for the simple reason damn near all food had the calories on it. I always knew more or less exactly how much I was eating, and I sure as hell wasn't starving. I ate good.

This discussion has been closed.