As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cleaned video card, now computer won't boot.

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
Please to help.

So my 770 has been inexplicably running hot lately. I pulled it out, blew the dust out, put it back in, and now my computer won't boot all the way up.

It powers on, fans are running, but it won't "catch" and boot into windows. Black moniter, no error messages. No idea what's happening.

Ceno on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Mine's doing the exact same thing... eerie. Much(MUCH) older computer though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Obvious question--when you reseated the video card, the separate connections to your PSU were all in order? Video cards seem particularly likely to stop a boot-up either due to insufficient power from a PSU, or said cables being slightly loose, breaking the connection.

It does't sound like you changed anything else in your system, so I'd guess it's the video card. Were you getting any video-related crashes before you took it out? if so, it might not have only been running too hot, but your PSU might not have been able to meet its demands.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    No, no crashes or anything like that. Just sudden overheating and jet turbines. I plugged all the psu cables in as firmly as it seemed they would go in. Still stuck.

I've pleaded with my work IT contractors to give it a look so I guess we'll see. I mainly want someone more technically proficient than I to confirm its the graphics card. At least I'll have a path forward at that point.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Assuming it's an option, can you boot using integrated graphics?

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    That's what I'm going to try to do tonight, if I can find a way to connect my motherboard to my monitor.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    If there is a heatsink on the video card, very carefully take it off, apply some thermal grease, sometimes it dries out, and put it back together. There are videos online to do this if you need help, but this would be the next step for heating issues with a GPU.