As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I actually have something to critique!

ninjaininjai Registered User regular
Hey duders. It's been a while since I've had anything creative needing critque.

This is the first draft of my personal website, as fruits of the coding school I've been attending. Please be honest, and if you have some resources on design that.d be fantastic.

I know the rule is not to link to external websites, but the website is what needs critiqued, so IDK how to do that with the forum rules :pop:

(plz don't ban me :C)
http://students.seedpaths.com/nathan-rogers

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    An easier way to assess if something is okay, is to PM a mod before you make a thread.

Post some screen caps of your site just so there's something to refer to without clicking.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Ok, I'll get cracking on that. Thanks!

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Sorry it took so long to get the screenshots. The last week at SeedPaths was intense, and I rebuilt the website from scratch over the memorial weekend, and have been looking for job opportunities since then.

The site was built using ASP.NET in C#, jQuery for animations, and AJAX for loading page content. I have a fix for the dark text on the highlighted tabs. I haven't had access to the FTP to upload it yet.

Home Page, showing that various tabs transition when you hover over them. Links at the bottom take you to facebook, twitter, github, and linkedin.
    Screenshot%202015-05-26%2015.19.39_zpslpa5bp1k.png

Basic layout of each tab. Image on the left, related text on the right. Buttons highlight to show which tab is selected
    Screenshot%202015-05-26%2015.19.49_zps4rsgtavy.png

Work homepage shows the skills I've acquired. Needs updated, but pretty accurate.
    Screenshot%202015-05-26%2015.19.56_zpsebxupmjc.png

Contact screen, linked to a database that saves people who leave comments
    Screenshot%202015-05-26%2015.20.03_zpswq9gpebf.png

ninjai on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    The "resume" button seems like an afterthought, almost...it's below your copyright, and it's the lowest thing on your page. It also looks exactly like the buttons you have above it, but it's not contained in that same box. Seems a little odd to me - especially with how important it is!

I think that if you had your resume as a link up at the top with the other navigation (same exact style, same exact font), that would look MUCH better. If you want it to stick out, you could also simply change the font to a red color, and I think that would be sufficient (though you'd probably want to make sure it doesn't compete with your name in red, on the far right).