As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh, the Rock Island Line is a mighty fine road! [knit-along]

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm on number 19. But I know Dan is outpacing the rest of us. :P

I can slow down! I still have my sock project I stashed away on the side.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm only on 21.

And I may have cast on a second one for funsies

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I made the new entry for week one "get comfortable" because yeah, there's no way for at least three of us.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    How's everyone (who has their yarn) coming along? :)

Since I'm knitting as @Wyborn plays Witcher 3, I pause really often. And then I occasionally forget what row I am on. And then I'm grateful that the rows have uneven numbers of stitches, because you can figure out pretty quickly where you are at.

signature.png
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    ....This isn't the yarn I'm using for the shawl. (I'm hoping to use it to make the Icon Dress at some point) but it's super pretty and I love it already:
    295z8xir31n1.jpg

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Okay so I just finished my second repeat, and while it went tons more smoothly than the first (didn't have to tear back to the start of it once), I have to be honest that I am having a VERY difficult time seeing anything in the picture in what I've done so far.

Grab the cast on end with one hand and pull gently on the needle end with your other hand.

Next, pull one side with your 3rd hand and the other with your 4th.

This should help you see the lace pattern better.

edited June 2015
    hmm

I can kind of see it better if I stretch it all out. It still doesn't look exactly like the picture but I guess it's a different yarn.

I really wanted to get the Helen's Lace because it's pretty but I couldn't find the color I wanted for sale anywhere.

Yeah I just tried to do another repeat and screwed up on the 7th row. Until that point it was going faster yet though. I just don't know it well enough to work on it after a certain point of tiredness. Maybe tomorrow night I'll actually get in more than one.

ceres on
    Blocking totally changes the look of lacework!

aWOD3Ag.jpg?1

The large Os right smack at the middle of her arm here are the yarnovers you are creating on the odd rows. (We'll be picking up the yarnover stitches after we finish the edging.) This means that the left side of the edging becomes the actual edge of the shawl, and the reason it has that scalloped look is due to how you pin and block out the work at the very end.

For now, just make sure you see the zigzags as you knit-- that thick zigzag in the centre, with the thinner zigzag closer to the left edge, and that little V on top of both of those (or rather, closer to the right side).

signature.png
    I do see the zigzags, but I am honestly thinking I should have got muuuuch bigger needles.

My yarn came today!

I've made a couple attempts to start the shawl (and finally learned how to cast on longtail!) but I can't figure out how to read that chart. Do you start from the bottom, or top? And what's with the numbers?

After you do the four starting rows, you go to the edging chart. You start at the bottom, and do row 1 (right side) right to left. And then you do row 2 (reverse side), left to right. Keep in mind that the k2tog/ssk symbols are reversed between the right side and reverse side rows.

signature.png
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the k2tog/ssk symbols are reversed between the right side and reverse side rows.

But I'll be fine if I just use the "wrong side" symbol key, right? I don't have to do any special translating something like that?

Thank you! Okay, last couple questions, and then I'm done-

For a chart yarn over, is do I move the yarn over and then knit, or do I just move the yarn over and then go to the next little square thingy. Typically for a pattern, when I see "Yarn over" I move the yarn over and then go on to the next stitch. But maybe that's wrong?

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    You do the YO and then the stitch in the next box thingy!

edited June 2015
    So Geth's a knitter, who knew!!

e: I made it to repeat no. 15! But I'm having weird shooting pains and numbness in my forearm, so it's time to take a break, booooooo

Usagi on
    edited June 2015
    Yeah the chart was not easy for me to figure out. Now I know that the YO is meant to be a stitch in itself because.. well.. even though you're not doing anything that's what it creates for the next row.

Tonight I try to get in my third and maybe a fourth round if I'm lucky.

edit: Two done in an hour mostly without incident, bringing me up to four total. at least it's getting a little faster!

I'm also loosening up a bit as I go, and it's easier to see the pattern in the second two than the first two.

Which makes me want to start over. But you know.. no.

ceres on
    I've frogged at least eight times. I can't get past row 3 on the chart without something going horribly wrong. I'm giving up on the chart.

Instead, I've typed up what the chart says, sort of like a pattern only each stitch is on it's own line. Hopefully that'll work better for me, and I'll be able to make some progress on it tomorrow.

If anybody wants the translated version of the chart, PM me and I'll send it to you. (I am assuming this is okay because everybody's bought the pattern and all the translation would be doing hypothetically is making the already-purchased pattern more accessible.)

If anyone who has bought the pattern wants the typed up version of the edging, I'd be happy to PM it over too.

How's it going, @Creagan? :D Were you able to get past the 3rd row after writing out your translation?

signature.png
    I think I'm going to switch over to the fingering. It goes so much faster and the lace is too fiddly for my big ol' sausage fingers.

But I'll keep the lace weight but on its own needles so I can come back to it later.

SilverWind, I'll take it. Trying to get more options, the chart gives me a bit of a headache.

SilverWind wrote: »
    If anyone who has bought the pattern wants the typed up version of the edging, I'd be happy to PM it over too.

How's it going, @Creagan? :D Were you able to get past the 3rd row after writing out your translation?

I've been super busy and won't get to try until later tonight, but I think now that I've written out the chart in a way I'll be able to understand it things will go much more smoothly. Charts and me just don't mix.

knitdan wrote: »
    I think I'm going to switch over to the fingering. It goes so much faster and the lace is too fiddly for my big ol' sausage fingers.

But I'll keep the lace weight but on its own needles so I can come back to it later.

Will you be upping your needle size as well, out of curiosity?

signature.png
    Creagan I demand yarn pics

I think I'm going to stick with a 6 so technically I'm going one size smaller ( I was using an alleged 7 because it was the sharpest needle I had but I also measured it in one of those needle sizer things and it was really a 6)

The fingering is a bit "springy" and I will need to aggressively block but it should be fine.

I'm avoiding knitting because of my stupid elbow but hopefully it'll be rested enough I can pick back up on the plane tomorrow!

71 repeats is A Lot tho, sheesh

@ceres
    6jti84b4j96y.jpg

So far, it's held up really, really well to frogging. With the yarns I typically use, I'd have had to cut & throw out the beginning at this point. But it still looks okay for the most part!

That is a very nice color.

And yeah, 71 is rough. Getting one of them done takes me forever and feels like peeing in the ocean to keep it warm.

Niiice. Yeah, I was surprisingly pleased with the Knitpicks yarn I ordered last year. I'm glad to see the cotton is just as good!

I'm actually knitting with size 7s, since I almost always knit more tightly than the recommended needles.

I'm currently on repeat... 43. But don't worry, I won't speed on ahead. :P

signature.png
    I am so tempted to start over with bigger needles.. maybe it would go faster this time now that I have a better idea what I'm doing?

Hrrrrgh so tempted, and I'm only 4 in.....

edited June 2015
    Fuuuuck it, I'm going for it. I can stop by there tomorrow on my way home fro doing other things anyway.

I'll try to use tonight to try out the pattern translations.

ceres on
    If it's going to help then do it!! This pattern is fricking tough, any advantage helps :)

Okay, so the good news is that the knitting goes way faster with the chart written out.

The bad news, is I've frogged three times tonight, because I missed a Yarn Over when translating row 2 and kept winding up a stitch short on Row 3.

But hopefully I'll finally make some progress with that corrected.

Frogging is when you have to start over and rip everything out?

Because if that's the case, oh god so many frogs with this.

Pretty much, although sometimes it can mean just a couple of rows.

Also, I finally made progress! One repeat! Yessss!!!!

Soooo I now have bigger needles, which are also made of marble because apparently that will be less slippery than the metal ones I have, which has been a problem for me and the main cause of me having to pull back to my lifeline. But the lady said they aren't as grippy as something like bamboo, which can hold onto and shred something as fine as what I'm working with especially when you hold things as tight as I tend to. Going to get restarted today!

Also my mom has been reading this thread and thinks everyone is great. Hi mom!

I've made it to 18 repeats and this last one was the first I didn't have tink back because I missed a YO

Yeeeesh

Here's what I've got on the redo, all pinned out.

s5kix1mz15xy.jpg

Niiice. Do you block on that corkboard, or is it just for demonstrative purposes? :D

signature.png
    I try

Sometimes it's not big enough and I have to improvise a bit

I have a cardboard blocking mat I sometimes use but it's a pain because it doesn't hold the pins when they're under tension

I have a cedar board I use for scarves sometimes

I don't really block most things, just shawls and scarves with openwork