As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is out NOW! See you guys in a thousand years!

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Very subtle later game movie reference:
    As persecution in Novigrad gets more and more intense, the clientele in Dandelion's cabaret becomes increasingly dominated by Witch Hunters. This seems weird.

Until you realize that this is also what happens by the last scene in the movie/play Cabaret, where the increased persecution is tracked by the increasing number of Nazis in the audience. Very Polish in-joke, that.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Deploys the Bovine Defense Force Initiative.
    O_o

https://youtu.be/I__N6foEE1E

I think I love CD Projekt Red

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    And looks like the shell game One Weird Trick is no longer a thing, since that one merchant doesn't sell seashells by the sea shore anymore.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I've got the next OP prepped. I didn't end up making a theme or anything with it. I think a lot of the game speaks for itself.

I'll probably beat it this weekend, though I'm not wholly sure. We'll see.

dN0T6ur.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Spies can be overcome with carefully played weather and excellent timing but it literally just puts more cards in your enemy's hand, it's pure advantage

yeah i think the impact that weather cards and scorch have are way underestimated

i cruised through early game gwent with basically the starter deck and then I got the yennefer and ciri cards and the game was effectively over

working on completing my collection at this point

Spies are there to draw you even more scorches and weathers. Also, the AI is dumb and will pass if they get too far ahead. So I like to play both my spies, 4 and 5 strength melee. If they play a real unit card in between, it's often enough to trigger the "I'm clearly going to win this round" pass. Then I freeze the spies and win with 2-3 cards including the freeze.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    O_o

...is that thing's name "Chet?"

6F32U1X.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I really like the font in this game for quest and codex updates.

Bestiary Entry Added:
    BEARS

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    At this point I just assume he puts water over himself every time he gets a chance.

So Geralt is Roman Reigns?

He honestly does have a superman punch as one of his unarmed moves

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    O_o

...is that thing's name "Chet?"

It's a Chort

You can see here it's gone Full Chort

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Also I don't want to say this in the Bioware thread but jeez I'm going back to DA:I and the conversations in the DLC are Snoozeville compared to basically every interaction in W3

I was wondering how going back to DAI would be after W3

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Also I don't want to say this in the Bioware thread but jeez I'm going back to DA:I and the conversations in the DLC are Snoozeville compared to basically every interaction in W3

yeah bioware are bad at writing people interacting with each other

e: also this isn't me trying to be all "lol bioware sucks", it's just that bioware generally writes monologues instead of conversations

the player character rarely feels like a presence in dialogue, saying little and just prompting the other person to continue

geralt in comparison is much more engaged, as well as more emotive

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hm the game keeps crashing, taking Firefox with it. Gonna have to do some experimentation here.

edited June 2015

Did INAGTP hit the nail on the head here or is something else failing to engage you?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Mostly he got it right, yeah
    So far while I've been playing it most of my dialogue options have been variations on politely asking them to go on
    And while I know the British female VA can put in great work, so far I haven't derived much feeling from anything she's said

And again, I really like Bioware and I like Inquisition but Witcher really is kind of a kick in the teeth of, hey, here's what you can do with an RPG

I like Jo Wyatt as Ciri better than as Hawke

dN0T6ur.png
    edited June 2015
    And again, I really like Bioware and I like Inquisition but Witcher really is kind of a kick in the teeth of, hey, here's what you can do with an RPG

I think a big part of this is that there's a very clear and unified vision that comes through in the product of the Witcher games when they land

I mean I'm sure that there's all kinds of drama over there we never hear about

But there's a cohesion to the product we're given, rooted in characters who draw their first identities from the novels, that makes everything feel like it's all apace. I really liked Inquisition, one of the best games last year, but at times it felt like a product that was at odds with itself. You got this sense that everywhere you looked there were elements of the game put together by people who didn't have communication between them facilitated as much as it might have been (like that one really unfortunate Sera line as compared to everything involving Krem)

Buit that extends to game systems too, sometimes, or the structure of missions or even the world the game takes place in on a mechanical level

Inquisition is very good but it's a lot messier than Witcher 3 is

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

The player character in Dragon Age is oddly passive in a lot of ways. I think she represents a weird compromise between the voiceless player avatar of DA1 and Hawke.

Mass Effect shows that Bioware can do an excellent job with dialogue and characterization in their chosen genre - pulp action epic. It's just that The Witcher married HBO quality writing, directing and acting with a computer game, something I don't think anyone has done before at this level.

It's going to be awhile before the games industry steps up to that challenge. That doesn't mean that I'm not going to enjoy killing super mutants and mouthing off to krogans, but there's always going to be a little voice comparing future RPGs to what I experienced in the Wild Hunt.

Phillishere on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    This game is honestly crazy. The sheer quality of the writing and role playability is something pretty much unrivaled in contemporary games. If people thought Skyrim was a big breakthrough for RPGs, I think this game is going to have even more influence on a lot of future games coming out.

I can just imagine CEOs at some of these companies playing this and going "fuck this is fucking good shit"

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    And on top of all that, they did it with very little DRM, focusing in fact on GoG and the like, putting out free DLC for everyone, putting out 5 freakishly decent patches in the first couple of weeks that fixes nearly every bug people come across and changing some interactions that almost everyone complained about.

I mean, everyone on /r/witcher was complaining about igniting things near loot, and today we have a fix for that.

Not only is the game top-notch quality, but so is the company, and hopefully other companies take note that after this a lot of big enthusiast gamers aren't going to put up with the BS anymore because there are competitive companies that not only make better games, but do it while treating the customer right.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    This game is honestly crazy. The sheer quality of the writing and role playability is something pretty much unrivaled in contemporary games. If people thought Skyrim was a big breakthrough for RPGs, I think this game is going to have even more influence on a lot of future games coming out.

I can just imagine CEOs at some of these companies playing this and going "fuck this is fucking good shit"

Like they are announcing Fallout 4, and I'm remembering Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and I'm honestly wondering if FO4 will even be near this game's quality level.

VayBJ4e.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm not expecting Fallout 4 to even beat the writing for New Vegas

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am finally back to where I was in the main story before I restarted. Did way more side stuff and points of interest this time though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    New thread title should be "A satisfying click..in the new Witcher thread."

Weaver wrote: »

I think I missed this line could you give me the context in spoiler (I might use this though)

dN0T6ur.png
    edited June 2015
    Or how about "WITCHER THREAD! Run! Run you stupid piece of shit!"

Are we allowed to use swears in thread titles

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited June 2015
    Weaver wrote: »

I think I missed this line could you give me the context in spoiler (I might use this though)
    It's from when you're investigating where Dandelion made the bomb that blew open the vault room, there's a hidden door you can see with witcher sense, and a bottle of wine with a note saying something like, "Thought you'd like this, but be sure to put it back." So you take the bottle of wine over to the wine storage room, Geralt kneels down, slides the bottle into the wine rack, there's a click, and with a super-smug grin on his face Geralt says out loud "A satisfying click..in the next room over." You head over and the hidden door is open.

edit: It's just like, Geralt, you fucking nerd.

Weaver on
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I have the op for the next thread ready to go

edited June 2015
    Oh right yeah I remember that line now

And

Hullis your thread OP would have to be something special because I've been sitting on this one for a while....!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn and WeedLord are you two gonna have to play a round of gwent for who makes the new thread?

That uh

....I kind of really like that idea actually

dN0T6ur.png
    edited June 2015
    I think Wyborn has earned it though because he took time to apply blade oils and measure out toxicity between the appropriate decotion and potions prepare.

Weaver on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Some things I read seem to suggest that the people at ZeniMax try to keep game development as cost-effective as possible

Which might explain things like the lack of variety in voice actors and the weird animations in Bethesda titles

It will be interesting to see how Fallout 4 turns out

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I'm not expecting Fallout 4 to even beat the writing for New Vegas

Bethesda writers have never had or seen a conversation with another human being

Talking to dogs, they're gold, best in the biz. Humans though, humans are tricky

liEt3nH.png
    Oh right yeah I remember that line now

And

Hullis your thread OP would have to be something special because I've been sitting on this one for a while....!

look if you don't want an op where the game is described in the style of a card battling anime, go ahead, i GUESS

「モンスターハンター」と氷の王 (loosely translated: The Monster Hunter And The King of Ice) is the latest card battling anime from renowned studio CDPROJEKT Red. A sweeping tale of a father determined to win his daughter's love back by battling cards with the greatest players around the world, it has a wonderful cast of characters, including several lovely magical girls (including a tsundere you HAVE to see to believe XD)

Far be it from me to be a naysayer to a decent theme OP

When we hit 100 you post the new one, I'll light the lock signal

dN0T6ur.png
    define....''decent''

I'd say it's more of an indecent theme

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.