As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playstation Crossgen Headset recommendations?

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
One of my more frivolous projects are to whittle down my PS3 backlog before allowing myself a PS4. Despite having owned one for seven years and have indulged in Multiplayer, I've never availed of a headset/mike combo. I'd like to get one, but there's not much point getting a really good PS3 one only to chuck it out when I migrate to PS4. Are there any decent headsets that are compatible with both PS3 and PS4? I saw Sony has one, but it's only the headphones.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    These have a hidden mic and work with both 3 and 4.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Er...are you talking about the PS Gold Headsets? Those have mics built in.

They are also very very good and my rock solid recommendation if they're in your price range. They even work pretty easily on PC and I use them often there as well as on my PS4.

Edit: Beaten! Curse you!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The Golds are great, and have a built-in hidden mic (no boom mic). They are wireless, so they will require charging. Both PS3 and PS4 have special apps to enhance the sound in the Golds for specific games, and it's pretty amazing.

Not a big fan of the Silvers. They are wired, and have a boom microphone, but the sound quality isn't as good, I feel.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I've got a Gold headset and it's pretty good. Comfortable, and excellent sound quality. I can't speak for the mic, though.

I was getting some wireless interference early on, but that largely dropped off once I changed my router channel to 10 (these headphones work on channel 6, I believe).

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Aw, booooooo. I just bought a silver headset that is on the truck on its way to my place presently.

EDIT: Nevermind, sounds great to me. You can plug it in to the headphone jack on the Dualshock 4 and it's almost like having the wireless version! Plus I tried plugging the USB thingy into my PC and it immediately recognized it as a separate audio device. Mic seems good too.

All and all not a bad way to spend $27.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705