As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sense8: Season 2 is out

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
edited May 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, Sense8 premiered today. The crazy assholes who brought you Fetch, The Matrix and a bunch of other terrible movies joined up with the creator of Babylon 5 and a bunch of comic books you probably haven't read. Together they have created an action scifi series exclusive to Netflix.
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80025744?trkid=1
One gunshot, one death, one moment out of time that irrevocably links eight minds in disparate parts of the world, putting them in each other's lives, each other's secrets, and in terrible danger. Ordinary people suddenly reborn as "Sensates."

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9c_KSZ6zMk

That_Guy on

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Episode 2
    Nomi wrote:
    Acronyms are scary.

Oh, and JMS's last name is spelled "Straczynski," not "Starzenski".

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So they finally made a Killer7 TV show.

I am excite!

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am interested in watching this, but I accidentally started binging Orphan Black and now my trippy action suspense slot is filled for the time being.

So it's pretty good, then? Like on a scale from The Matrix to Matrix Revolutions, how good is it?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I watched episode one and wasn't really feeling it. Does it get more coherent later?

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I need reviews here people! The watchowski's have burned me to often for me to get my hopes up.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The first episode was pretty awesome. The cast seems great so far.

Still seems to be coming together, but the action definitely stepped up at the end there.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    I watched episode one and wasn't really feeling it. Does it get more coherent later?

Not really, it's the usual interesting ideas but muddled presentation the Wachowskis always deliver. So if you're a fan of their work it's probably pretty good.

edited June 2015
    Still only 2 episodes in, but the slow burn is more JMS than Wachowski. Go watch Babylon 5 for an example of slow burns and huge payoffs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY[
    That's 3 seasons after the flashback.

Sense8 an ensemble show, it can't possibly bring its full force at the end of one episode.

Dracomicron on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I came to appreciate it more after episode 2. The slow introductions and constant head-switching all fit together at the end.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Episode 2
    Due to a mistake, I wikied the name Metzger when he popped up

Turns out it's German and means butcher

Seems appropriate.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That is a p sweet intro. Love the sheer number of different people.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    filming this was either incredibly fun or soul-crushingly hard

or possibly both

I very much enjoyed the first episode.

It is definitely muddled. But in a way that makes sense? You're bounced back and forth between people's minds and I enjoyed the disorientation. And laughed out loud at hallucination chicken.

Everyone is introduced but not fully explored. You get a decent idea about everyone's situation though. The first episode mainly focuses on the cop, thief, and DJ. I'll probably watch one more episode tonight. It's by no mean amazing but the concept of a shared mind is something I've always loved and this show definitely nails that aspect.

Man screw Nomi's mom.

If I take nothing else from this show it's that western media needs more Bollywood musicals.

edited June 2015
    Quid wrote: »
    Man screw Nomi's mom.

Episode 2
    Michael's mom, dear.

Dracomicron on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    First episode really seemed to drag ass. Definitely muddled, swapping between so many different characters, psychic visions, and flashbacks. Feels like the show's attention is too divided.

Episode two was a bit better, if only because more happened.

RT800 on
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Still only 2 episodes in, but the slow burn is more JMS than Wachowski. Go watch Babylon 5 for an example of slow burns and huge payoffs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY[
    That's 3 seasons after the flashback.

Sense8 an ensemble show, it can't possibly bring its full force at the end of one episode.
    Don't forget the time-travelling sideplot that expanded the mythos hugely and only made complete sense in a second episode a whole season after the first. Oh so THAT'S what was going on the whole time!

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Three episodes in and the end of episode 3 is amazing. So far liking that they have characters of almost all walks of life.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Just binged watched the whole thing at once and maybe it's because I am just coming off the finale but, at least for my purposes, this is the greatest fucking show.

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Well, that thing that happened in episode 6 happened...

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Daniela was right: That was totally hot.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Oh JMS wrote this? Wachowski + 'Silly Name With a Number Instead of Letters' had me feeling skeptical at best, but now I am excited to check it out.

The common wisdom is that JMS has the practical knowledge to temper the Wachowskis' runaway imaginations into something that you can do on TV.

Anyway, I just got to the end of Episode 3. Fuck. Yes.

edited June 2015
    EP8: lol
    chekhov's L7 poster.

redx on
    Man, Episode 4
    When they were all jamming out to 4 Non-Blondes I fucking cried. Okay, show, you got me. I'd been singing that song yesterday for some reason, and something about it just twigged me. Yeah, Nomi, get out of that fucking place! Kala, this is the goddamn world, live in it! Sun... you just keep taking that shower. You're good. Capheus really enjoys being a Sensate, and also 4 Non-Blondes.

I also couldn't stop thinking of
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y

I also really like some of the non-Sensates. Daniela and Hernando are amazing, and of course Neets... is it wrong that I'm kind of pissed at Wolfgang (Episode 5)
    for interrupting Kala's wedding? Her fiance seems kinda awesome.

edited June 2015
    Seen the first two episodes of Sense8. I'm digging it so far, but I can't help but feel a lot of the main cast is leaning a bit too hard on stereotypes.
    The do-gooder cop who must save every life, even if there's a contradiction. Mocked by his former cop father.

The ridiculously handsome hispanic movie star who is desired by every woman, but is also secretly gay.

The transgender woman who has a godawful, almost comic-bookish mother and attends numerous LGBT pride parades.

The Korean girl who is part of a wealthy family but is looked down on for being the female (hinted by the whole "where is your brother, go get us coffee" scene). She also practices yoga, because that's a thing Asian women do.

The British girl who is super into techno and dabbles a bit in drugs. Also she cuts herself, because that's a thing drug-using DJs do.

It's certainly a diverse lineup, but I think its still a bit type-cast.

@Professor Snugglesworth

Regarding Nomi, where do you get "numerous" pride parades from? They're in DC which has a huge one every year. Also her mother is behaving pretty much exactly how some posters have described their parents.

Also Korean business woman doesn't do yoga. In the park it was more akin to tai chi and the trailer showed her doing kick boxing/muay thai.

Quid on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Seen the first two episodes of Sense8. I'm digging it so far, but I can't help but feel a lot of the main cast is leaning a bit too hard on stereotypes.
    The do-gooder cop who must save every life, even if there's a contradiction. Mocked by his former cop father.

The ridiculously handsome hispanic movie star who is desired by every woman, but is also secretly gay.

The transgender woman who has a godawful, almost comic-bookish mother and attends numerous LGBT pride parades.

The Korean girl who is part of a wealthy family but is looked down on for being the female (hinted by the whole "where is your brother, go get us coffee" scene). She also practices yoga, because that's a thing Asian women do.

The British girl who is super into techno and dabbles a bit in drugs. Also she cuts herself, because that's a thing drug-using DJs do.

@Professor Snugglesworth

Regarding Nomi, where do you get "numerous" pride parades from? They're in DC which has a huge one every year. Also her mother is behaving pretty much exactly how some posters have described their parents.

Also Korean business woman doesn't do yoga. In the park it was more akin to tai chi and the trailer showed her doing kick boxing/muay thai.

I may have lost count, but it looked like she attended at least two? Followed by a desire to attend more (though obviously spurred by her girlfriend, who seems to be a regular).

I won't say the mother's behavior isn't accurate, but they certainly want us to hate her guts.

The Korean girl doing martial arts and exercises....is still kind of stereotypical. :P

It's not so much that these portrayals are "incorrect", but rather that they're being played up for televised drama. Or streamed drama, in this case.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    The first pride parade was a flashback to the start of her relationship.

I don't know that I could even name a movie where a business woman was a skilled fighter.

I think a lot of those people could be stereotypes if they were developed less but doesn't seen to be the case so far.

I guess I can't even think of an Icelandic dj into self harm ever being in any form of media I can think of.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The DJ (I don't know any of their names at this point, I'm terrible at that) is Icelandic.

And he's not just a hot, gay Mexican movie star, he's a hot, gay Mexican action star.

I'm pretty sure Sun (ok, I lied) is supposed to be doing Hapkido.

Nomi (maybe I'm better at this than I thought) actually seems to have the best grasp of what's going on, which is impressive given that she hasn't gotten the in-person explanation from anyone yet.

I'm a little disappointed that the person who is sort of putting it all together is the white cop guy. That just seems kind of lazy.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Can confirm episode three was great.

It meandered a bit but the last half was fantastic.

edited June 2015

@Professor Snugglesworth

Are you sure they aren't in SF?

It's just, I remember Delores Park/Gay Beach (the park with all the people, which has a hill so pretty definitly isn't the Mall, where you can absolutely fimd edibles) looking a lot like that, in other parts of the episode they show the Golden Gate and Pyramid Building and in later episodes they get a cab to the Castro.

Not disagreeing with your point. If you are queer and don't go to pride in SF its for a reason(like, you don't dig touristy crowd scenes with tens of thousands of people, understable but it is a conscious decision not to go).

Edit: I don't know where they are sitting talking about their first pride with all the white concrete. Which is in the future from the flash backs to the but on the grass, but later pretty danged sure they are in SF cause of the cab thing. And it seems weird that they would have been in SF, went to dc, and went back to SF.

redx on
    Entirely possible. I just saw some pillars and assumed DC.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    They were probably at the Palace of Fine Arts in the Marina of SF. I used to live two blocks from it so I'm fairly familiar.

Nothing. Matters.
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

I am there now.

And this show has been fantastic so far. Maybe not for everyone but it has clicked perfectly for me.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So I'm watching episode 4.
    These people holding Nomi have to be on the take, right? The nurse, the orderlies, and certainly the doctor.

I mean, the mom seems like an idiot so she probably believes she really is "helping", but I can't believe any of the others actually believes this is on the up and up.

RT800 on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Just finished the last episode.
    The action is really good. I like how they have 3 distinct fighters.
    Capheus digs the shit out of mind-traveling to strange new places.
    Though I could probably have done with seeing fewer
    babies crowning.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    I think a lot of reviewers are a little put off by the show's politics. I'ma just gonna spoiler this whole thing (I'm up to Episode 5).
    The reviewer on Vulture thinks the "reveal" that Nomi is transgendered is "a gross plot twist" and that it's not fair that Nomi is out and proud but Lito is closeted, when the reasons for these things could not be more clear, basically from their first scenes. Like, you really don't see the situational difference between a gay action movie star in Mexico City and a transgendered political blogger in San Francisco? Plus, is it such a "reveal" that Nomi is trans when they cast a trans actress and a lesbian at SF Pride calls her a "tranny" a full episode beforehand (full disclosure, I hadn't read up on the show and didn't know that Jamie Clayton was trans until after the first episode when I consulted the internet)?

I admit that the show is not subtle. Will saving the kiddie gangbanger with the gunshot wound and then almost getting refused medical help at a hospital was a little ridiculous. Capheus's mom having AIDS is a bit on-the-nose. The Hindu monks praying for the death of Kala's future in-laws because they are trying to merge American and Indian ways of life seems a bit unlikely and anti-religion. Nomi's mom is practically a caricature of an evil parent of a trans person (seriously fuck that lady).

It's clear to me, though, that the show is swinging for the fences. It's going big, real big, and, with eight interconnected characters and their respective supporting casts, going for nuance is going to put people off faster than clear, obvious conflicts and set-ups.