As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] for eighteen ~excelsiors~

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    BSG is better when you think about it in terms of characters and kinda let the main plot be background noise.

It has some really terrific characters that grow and change over the course of its run

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    These riker googling tweets are pretty much all gold

"is klingon cosplay racist"
    "planets with centaurs"
    "boob touching rules by planet"

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Pony wrote: »
    as i got older I actually started to find "Gene's Philosophy" kind of... offensive?

especially the really aggressively anti-transhumanist messages and appeals to nature that happened frequently in TNG

It's a weird thing that I feel both doesn't fit with the Federation as an abstract concept (Because humanity at its best involves us being the best we can be), but also is entirely predictable and I could totally see us ending up there some day.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Man, spending time at my dad's house makes me so mad about real estate. He lives on 3 acres in a 5,000 sq ft house with a pool, hot tub, and a basement big enough for two pool tables, two pinball machines, an air hockey table a bar and a media room and it's probably only worth $700k in Northern NJ. I couldn't touch that house for less then 1.8mm in Long Island :(

Truly, your life helps to define suffering.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Man, spending time at my dad's house makes me so mad about real estate. He lives on 3 acres in a 5,000 sq ft house with a pool, hot tub, and a basement big enough for two pool tables, two pinball machines, an air hockey table a bar and a media room and it's probably only worth $700k in Northern NJ. I couldn't touch that house for less then 1.8mm in Long Island :(

Truly, your life helps to define suffering.

This is what Buddha was talking about

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    This is also why I make a jack-off motion when someone complains that the new movies "aren't Star Trek" because explosions happen in them.
    I make jack-off motions when people talk about Star Trek. For different reasons. Erm.

Keep talking about Star Trek, guys. Don't worry about me over here, I'm just watching.

are

are you masturbating to Star Trek discussions

jack off "motions"
    SO CLOSE. ALMOST THERE. STAY ON TARGET.

(Actually, it's any "Star" franchise, including -Wars, -Gate, -Search, and -Crossed)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited June 2015
    the anti transhumanism stance of the Federation could have been good and interesting if it wasn't just accepted as the absolute moral truth by everyone in the show

one would assume that would be like one of the biggest politically divisive issues in the Federation

override367 on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

At least eight, if you count alternate universes and timelines.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I drove a lawn tractor along perilous steep slopes this afternoon

The good news is that they don't tip over very easily

The bad news is they sure do slide easily

Drifting on a lawn mower was not my initial plan

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Weird.

So, at work, i'm on a PS4 at my workstation...

I have not played my PS3 in a while...

The PS3 controller feels so weird... like, it feels flimsier...

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm playing Mount and Blade (and starting it up right now because I am addict) and having a funny problem where I'm considering leaving the Nords and joining like, Swadia as a mercenary because in my one month contract with the Nords I have displayed that I kick too much ass. And uh, taken over half of Swadia's space, and taken a castle singlehandedly, then angrily left it to their raiding counts because I didn't realize the King would instantly give it to someone.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular

"planets with centaurs"
    "updog"

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Wait can we talk about the WCW PPV Starcade and that would get Jacob in the mood?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

You could get that for like 400K around here.

Lh96QHG.png
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Could all the Star Trek people combined beat even one Jedi or 40k space marine? Probably not, right?

I have never seen Star Trek.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

"planets with centaurs"
    "updog"

What's up, dog?

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    a weird side effect of some of the realities of how Star Trek is a TV show means that the Federation is weirdly culturally barren

like, nobody in the Federation creates anything. There is no contemporary art, fashion, music, literature, no pop culture to speak of. And people's fascination with the past generally stops just short of the early 20th century, that's pretty much where the interest in recreating things with holodecks and the like ends. Nobody listens to like, music from 1985 or 2024 or even 1963. They listen to Brahms or Mozart or something wholly alien like Klingon opera.

There are practical, real-world reasons for this. Coming up with this kind of thing for a TV show can be difficult and come across as hokey and awful, and can date your show really badly. Having the crew on shore leave go to a concert of "that popular new musician from Alpha Centauri" either involves doing it off-camera or creating real music and trying to like... intuit what 24th century music is? God help you if you do something asinine like get a guest appearance from Skrillex or something, which is exactly the kind of shit Voyager would've done.

And nobody in the Federation listens to anything that would require expensive licensing, so you can forget Riker rockin' out to The Who. All of that stuff is true to other extents with fashion, visual art, literature, etc. It's just too much to create and present visually for a TV medium. So they just don't do it.

But the end result, even though I understand the practical reasons for that, is the Federation seems really fucked up and culturally stagnant and sterile, longing for a cultured past when people actually had the impetus to create art and explore the human condition. It makes it seem like the humanities died in the pursuit of the sciences, and now these "enlightened people" have to look backwards to figure out their own spirit.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    the anti transhumanism stance of the Federation could have been good and interesting if it wasn't just accepted as the absolute moral truth by everyone in the show

I think there's a streak of sci fi in the 80's and 90's and early 00's that didn't really understand how awkward and permeable our concept of "human" was.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    Weird.

That's because it is? At the very least, it's lacking textured plastic grips.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That one counts.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Could all the Star Trek people combined beat even one Jedi or 40k space marine? Probably not, right?

Well, I mean, yeah, they could. Several space fairing civilizations versus one person who is not capable of achieving orbit under their own power is a match rather weighted in favor of the side with spaceships.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    What we don't realize is that the Star Trek universe during the Eugenics Wars the English conquered France.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I'm playing Mount and Blade (and starting it up right now because I am addict) and having a funny problem where I'm considering leaving the Nords and joining like, Swadia as a mercenary because in my one month contract with the Nords I have displayed that I kick too much ass. And uh, taken over half of Swadia's space, and taken a castle singlehandedly, then angrily left it to their raiding counts because I didn't realize the King would instantly give it to someone.

Yeah, unless you're a proper vassal, you won't be awarded any of the spoils of war for you to rule yourself :(

And even then, it's a bit of a crapshoot. Actually, it's not totally random, mostly relies on relationship with the King >_>

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

So my pal and I have a theory we came up with in middle school that during WWIII Europe was nuked out and the British moved south to avoid nuclear winter up on the islands. This led, over time, to a large British population living among those Frenchist survivors that remained.

Lh96QHG.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Weird.

That's because it is? At the very least, it's lacking textured plastic grips.

Also, where is my super large select button that is also a touchpad?

BeNarwhal wrote: »

Yeah, unless you're a proper vassal, you won't be awarded any of the spoils of war for you to rule yourself :(

And even then, it's a bit of a crapshoot. Actually, it's not totally random, mostly relies on relationship with the King >_>

Right but I was literally doing it without help

No one was on that side of the map, and I'm a mercenary, I kinda figured that put it in at least gray area.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

If a Jedi or Space Marine showed up in TNG, they would immediately beat the tar out of Worf but then they'd fall victim to the Picard maneuver at the end of the episode.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited June 2015
    But the end result, even though I understand the practical reasons for that, is the Federation seems really fucked up and culturally stagnant and sterile, longing for a cultured past when people actually had the impetus to create art and explore the human condition. It makes it seem like the humanities died in the pursuit of the sciences, and now these "enlightened people" have to look backwards to figure out their own spirit.
    The Federation is born literally out of a post-apocalyptic society. World War III happened, nukes were dropped, and there were wars that devastated planet Earth prior to first contact. First contact was with a race that had a very sterile view of art and culture due to their obsession with suppressing emotion.

Even then, it's still kind of dumb. They do showcase some "contemporary" artists on some episodes, but it's difficult to make a "future rock band" or whatever without making it really dated. Like that prom scene from Starship Troopers.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Right but I was literally doing it without help

No one was on that side of the map, and I'm a mercenary, I kinda figured that put it in at least gray area.

Shivahn, we can't let a lowly commoner mercenary rule over any of Calradia! What would the nobles say? There'd be riots in every court across the land!

edited June 2015
    a weird side effect of some of the realities of how Star Trek is a TV show means that the Federation is weirdly culturally barren

like, nobody in the Federation creates anything. There is no contemporary art, fashion, music, literature, no pop culture to speak of. And people's fascination with the past generally stops just short of the early 20th century, that's pretty much where the interest in recreating things with holodecks and the like ends. Nobody listens to like, music from 1985 or 2024 or even 1963. They listen to Brahms or Mozart or something wholly alien like Klingon opera.

There are practical, real-world reasons for this. Coming up with this kind of thing for a TV show can be difficult and come across as hokey and awful, and can date your show really badly. Having the crew on shore leave go to a concert of "that popular new musician from Alpha Centauri" either involves doing it off-camera or creating real music and trying to like... intuit what 24th century music is? God help you if you do something asinine like get a guest appearance from Skrillex or something, which is exactly the kind of shit Voyager would've done.

And nobody in the Federation listens to anything that would require expensive licensing, so you can forget Riker rockin' out to The Who. All of that stuff is true to other extents with fashion, visual art, literature, etc. It's just too much to create and present visually for a TV medium. So they just don't do it.

Its weird because DS9 gives alien races cultures, the bajorans even get regional cultural differences (unlike all the other aliens which get one uniform culture, or perhaps we're just supposed to see it that way because it's through the lens of the Federation)

Sisko and his dad are chefs which is pretty great, which is something we should have seen more of. Even with food replicators I have to imagine restaurants would still be really popular and people would still enjoy creating food (even if we ignore several characters insisting fresh food is better than replicated food)

SFDebris pointed out one of the big problems with the Federation is a total lack of disagreement, and how in that terrible Voyager episode with The Rock at least we got one: The crew didn't all have THE ONE CORRECT OPINION about full contact sports like boxing

override367 on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Solid boardgame day

Because I won 75% of the games played

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Basically I have made the Nords too powerful and Swadia too weak and this balance displeases me.

edited June 2015
    Sisko playing baseball was nice, although thinking back people should have been into all kinds of sports (other than just a few future ones). Soccer should probably be more popular in the holodeck than Sherlock Holmes. Bashir was a pro tennis player too

override367 on
    Basically I have made the Nords too powerful and Swadia too weak and this balance displeases me.

Become the Swadians, and plan your revenge againt King Ragnar

He is particularly notorious for awarding newly acquired holdings to himself, actually (as in, it's a scripted part of his personality vs the other rulers :P )

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

d0cZhTm.jpg

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.