As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] for eighteen ~excelsiors~

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Sisko playing baseball was nice, although thinking back people should have been into all kinds of sports (other than just a few future ones). Soccer should probably be more popular in the holodeck than Sherlock Holmes. Bashir was a pro tennis player too

Also the weekly darts games in Quark's.

There were more actual cultural things in DS9 because of the type of story they were telling.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Solid boardgame day

Because I won 75% of the games played

You won 50%. 25% was a team win. And by win I mean a 35/100 score in Consulting Detective.

So I guess 75% technically.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    That episode where Tuvok had made a holodeck "Lone starfleet agent against a maquis coupe" training sim, which is basically a video game, is so novel to the crew of Voyager that it's actually kind of hilarious

shouldn't your holodeck archive have literally hundreds of thousands or millions of such programs

The computer is so advanced you could just say "this video game from 400 years ago, please make it a holodeck program"

override367 on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Could all the Star Trek people combined beat even one Jedi or 40k space marine? Probably not, right?

I have never seen Star Trek.

d0cZhTm.jpg
    cB557 wrote: »
    Fan wank: exhibit A.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Could all the Star Trek people combined beat even one Jedi or 40k space marine? Probably not, right?

d0cZhTm.jpg

Star Destroyers have shields canonically though

If we go by like, nerdy as shit books, Star Wars wins because the people who designed ships did not understand scale

The output of a single Star Destroyer laser is something ridiculous like 1% of the energy used to power the entire earth at the moment.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Except Star Trek has Q so like

it wins

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i got the mad max fury road sound track which turned out to be a massive mistake since now i want to go to the cinema and see it again

i haven't liked a movie this much since dredd

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Basically I have made the Nords too powerful and Swadia too weak and this balance displeases me.

Become the Swadians, and plan your revenge againt King Ragnar

He is particularly notorious for awarding newly acquired holdings to himself, actually (as in, it's a scripted part of his personality vs the other rulers :P )

Is there any way to gain a fief without swearing loyalty? I must be queen.

• Options
    also I kind of wanted to watch an entire episode of Voyager crew members trying to thwart (or help) a maquis coupe in the holodeck because it was more entertaining than their typical episode

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    That episode where Tuvok had made a holodeck "Lone starfleet agent against a maquis coupe" training sim, which is basically a video game, is so novel to the crew of Voyager that it's actually kind of hilarious

shouldn't your holodeck archive have literally hundreds of thousands or millions of such programs

The computer is so advanced you could just say "this video game from 400 years ago, please make it a holodeck program"

again, on DS9, people used holodecks for what you assumed they'd use them for

sex

power fantasies

games

meanwhile on Voyager they used it to make an Irish village LARP

• Options

d0cZhTm.jpg
    Fan wank: exhibit A.

no real star trek fan would be able to tolerate the uniform discrepancy there

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

If we go by like, nerdy as shit books, Star Wars wins because the people who designed ships did not understand scale

The output of a single Star Destroyer laser is something ridiculous like 1% of the energy used to power the entire earth at the moment.

On everything except their shield generator domes though, apparently.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    splatoon fans crack me the fuck up

CGxpxTHUgAAmp2O.jpg

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

again, on DS9, people used holodecks for what you assumed they'd use them for

sex

power fantasies

games

meanwhile on Voyager they used it to make an Irish village LARP

apparently Worf is a rapist and murderer in his holodeck games and it was actually used against him in court to prove he was overly violent

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Basically I have made the Nords too powerful and Swadia too weak and this balance displeases me.

He is particularly notorious for awarding newly acquired holdings to himself, actually (as in, it's a scripted part of his personality vs the other rulers :P )

Oh 100% - get yourself free of that mercenary contract and you can attack basically anyone you want, really.

One warning, however - probably everyone will initially be super-unhappy with you. You might be fighting a war against more than just the people you attacked >_>

• Options
    this track is just such an ear full of adrenaline

i love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaL6NxTvWRM

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Oh yeah I remember a star wars technical manual and the output of a star destroyer firing its guns would be like the entire earth's nuclear arsenal going off several times a second for hours

so basically the death star is completely pointless

so the author just had no idea how much energy he was talking about because it completely doesn't mesh with the movies. A star destroyer blaster bolt hits a Republic cruiser's shield, the resulting radiation kills every TIE pilot in the area

override367 on
  • Options

The Empire has uh

issues

with their engineering school quality

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Ah, just another Saturday.

• Options

Oh 100% - get yourself free of that mercenary contract and you can attack basically anyone you want, really.

One warning, however - probably everyone will initially be super-unhappy with you. You might be fighting a war against more than just the people you attacked >_>

It's not giving me the option. Do I need more troops maybe?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    a weird side effect of some of the realities of how Star Trek is a TV show means that the Federation is weirdly culturally barren

like, nobody in the Federation creates anything. There is no contemporary art, fashion, music, literature, no pop culture to speak of. And people's fascination with the past generally stops just short of the early 20th century, that's pretty much where the interest in recreating things with holodecks and the like ends. Nobody listens to like, music from 1985 or 2024 or even 1963. They listen to Brahms or Mozart or something wholly alien like Klingon opera.

There are practical, real-world reasons for this. Coming up with this kind of thing for a TV show can be difficult and come across as hokey and awful, and can date your show really badly. Having the crew on shore leave go to a concert of "that popular new musician from Alpha Centauri" either involves doing it off-camera or creating real music and trying to like... intuit what 24th century music is? God help you if you do something asinine like get a guest appearance from Skrillex or something, which is exactly the kind of shit Voyager would've done.

And nobody in the Federation listens to anything that would require expensive licensing, so you can forget Riker rockin' out to The Who. All of that stuff is true to other extents with fashion, visual art, literature, etc. It's just too much to create and present visually for a TV medium. So they just don't do it.

But the end result, even though I understand the practical reasons for that, is the Federation seems really fucked up and culturally stagnant and sterile, longing for a cultured past when people actually had the impetus to create art and explore the human condition. It makes it seem like the humanities died in the pursuit of the sciences, and now these "enlightened people" have to look backwards to figure out their own spirit.

that's something I liked about the new movies is that they had scenes set in bars and clubs and stuff

they didn't go to any huge effort to have like, ostentatiously "23rd century"-sounding music playing but that is fine with me because it would almost certainly be ridiculous and the original Star Trek show was very much the adventures of two-fisted 20th century Americans in space anyway

(and I have always been okay with this because it forms a more visceral connection and because there's nothing that says it has to be taken as anything more literal than the fact that aliens all speak English among themselves or whatever. I am able to accept "Money for Nothing" on the future jukebox as, like, symbolic of what someone might be listening to in a crappy townie bar in the spacefuture rather than as some kind of literal truth.)

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    a weird side effect of some of the realities of how Star Trek is a TV show means that the Federation is weirdly culturally barren

like, nobody in the Federation creates anything. There is no contemporary art, fashion, music, literature, no pop culture to speak of. And people's fascination with the past generally stops just short of the early 20th century, that's pretty much where the interest in recreating things with holodecks and the like ends. Nobody listens to like, music from 1985 or 2024 or even 1963. They listen to Brahms or Mozart or something wholly alien like Klingon opera.

There are practical, real-world reasons for this. Coming up with this kind of thing for a TV show can be difficult and come across as hokey and awful, and can date your show really badly. Having the crew on shore leave go to a concert of "that popular new musician from Alpha Centauri" either involves doing it off-camera or creating real music and trying to like... intuit what 24th century music is? God help you if you do something asinine like get a guest appearance from Skrillex or something, which is exactly the kind of shit Voyager would've done.

And nobody in the Federation listens to anything that would require expensive licensing, so you can forget Riker rockin' out to The Who. All of that stuff is true to other extents with fashion, visual art, literature, etc. It's just too much to create and present visually for a TV medium. So they just don't do it.

But the end result, even though I understand the practical reasons for that, is the Federation seems really fucked up and culturally stagnant and sterile, longing for a cultured past when people actually had the impetus to create art and explore the human condition. It makes it seem like the humanities died in the pursuit of the sciences, and now these "enlightened people" have to look backwards to figure out their own spirit.

I really wish I had smoked something before reading this because my inner monologue went "Whoa.....dude....." when I finished.

Because this explains exactly why I always felt something was odd about Star Trek but I couldn't put my finger on it.

It also doesn't help that I pretty much walked away from the franchise when TNG ended, so I only really watched that stuff as a kid.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Bogart @Mojo_Jojo tell us about Consulting Detective!

• Options
    I have no problem believing a bar would more or less resemble a bar today 300 years from now

Assuming it's a future where trans-humanism is banned otherwise everyone would be a perfect machine or genetic superman who doesn't need to drink because chemicals can be released at will to achieved desired states of consciousness

• Options
    Oh yeah I remember a star wars technical manual and the output of a star destroyer firing its guns would be like the entire earth's nuclear arsenal going off several times a second for hours

so basically the death star is completely pointless

so the author just had no idea how much energy he was talking about because it completely doesn't mesh with the movies. A star destroyer blaster bolt hits a Republic cruiser's shield, the resulting radiation kills every TIE pilot in the area

Yeah

I always say "Star Wars ships probably win because the technical writers were idiots who did not understand numbers"

• Options

The Empire has uh

issues

with their engineering school quality

but if we don't put a window in the main reactor core how will we see out?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I just chalk up obsession with 20th century culture as nostalgia for the time before the war on the part of the humans.

In Trek World 1990-2063 was pretty horrific. Even more so than the real world.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    splatoon fans crack me the fuck up

CGxpxTHUgAAmp2O.jpg

This is amazing.

• Options
    Mass Effects CODEX doesn't line up with the cutscenes either

probably because the cutscene guys couldn't figure out how to make an engaging fight between ships 500 miles apart with no two ships on the same side being within a few miles of any other ship

• Options

On further investigation, I'm thinking specifically of Mount and Blade Warband. So if it's original Mount and Blade, it may not be possible :( If it's Warband, you just need to have a negative relationship with the faction first, easily accomplished through attacking caravans, villagers, or raiding a village. Get it low enough, and you should be able to besiege to your heart's content!

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    i got the mad max fury road sound track which turned out to be a massive mistake since now i want to go to the cinema and see it again

i haven't liked a movie this much since dredd

I've already called Fury Road as the best movie of 2015 because there's no fucking way Star Wars is going to be that good, and what else is there? Jurassic World? Please.

Dredd took me by surprise. I've never read the comics and Stallone's Dredd was.....dreadful..... >.> but the new Dredd was fucking awesome.

I have one quibble, though. When he's on the intercom and he's all, "Ma-Ma's not the law. I'm the law." That should have been *click* done. Soliliquy over. Because "Judgment time" is kinda lame.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

I really wish I had smoked something before reading this because my inner monologue went "Whoa.....dude....." when I finished.

Because this explains exactly why I always felt something was odd about Star Trek but I couldn't put my finger on it.

It also doesn't help that I pretty much walked away from the franchise when TNG ended, so I only really watched that stuff as a kid.

I didn't really put my finger on it until a couple years back when I was rewatching some DS9 with a friend of mine and I really kind of noticed it in the character of Jake Sisko

he's a civilian character who always wears these bland unitards and he just doesn't have any interests or anything, and then he wants to become a writer and a journalist and it kind of shines a light on the fact that I've never once really thought about media and pop culture in the Federation because it doesn't exist

• Options

On further investigation, I'm thinking specifically of Mount and Blade Warband. So if it's original Mount and Blade, it may not be possible :( If it's Warband, you just need to have a negative relationship with the faction first, easily accomplished through attacking caravans, villagers, or raiding a village. Get it low enough, and you should be able to besiege to your heart's content!

Oh most people are zero

So THAT'S the issue

I can't just STEALTH RUIN YOU

And yeah it's Warband

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I have made preparations for the best!worst OP.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Bogart Mojo_Jojo tell us about Consulting Detective!

Five of us, first case, and the first time any of us had played it.
    We cottoned on to Ragland as the killer early on, but were also highly suspicious of von Schulenberg, understandably. We kept hunting around for a motive, or evidence he was trying to flog the secret plans to someone, but drew a blank, and ended up thinking he killed the magnate to clear his debts after we checked with Ragland's tailor. Which was correct, sort of. We missed the earring, and had no clue the Russian embassy was involved. The note, and the initials on it, totally passed us by. We found out about Allen's affair, discovered why Camp was at the French embassy, and deduced the murderer, but ended up at 35/100.

No extra points were gained by the use of my amazing German accent in certain scenes.

• Options

Oh most people are zero

So THAT'S the issue

I can't just STEALTH RUIN YOU

And yeah it's Warband

Yeah, gotta engage in small-scale aggression before going TOTAL WAR on them :P

• Options
    I refuse to make the next chat so if I get named, whoever gets named as back up, take it as a sign to make the next chat immediately

• Options
    Mass Effects CODEX doesn't line up with the cutscenes either

probably because the cutscene guys couldn't figure out how to make an engaging fight between ships 500 miles apart with no two ships on the same side being within a few miles of any other ship

as I recall, the codex has a clause that crazy "knife-fight" engagements do happen at point-blank ranges, usually around contested targets

and that was the kind of fight that we only ever saw in the series IIRC (the Citadel battle, the Collector base, Earth?)

I mean they definitely did not do the big long-range bombardment thing but what they showed wasn't really in defiance of the codex as such, they just kept showing the thing that was supposed to be the exception

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    greetings mentlegen

i am double burging and milkshaking

life is gud

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.