As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] for eighteen ~excelsiors~

19495969798100»

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Holmes getting the answer in four leads is bullshit fuck you Holmes.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    a weird side effect of some of the realities of how Star Trek is a TV show means that the Federation is weirdly culturally barren

like, nobody in the Federation creates anything. There is no contemporary art, fashion, music, literature, no pop culture to speak of. And people's fascination with the past generally stops just short of the early 20th century, that's pretty much where the interest in recreating things with holodecks and the like ends. Nobody listens to like, music from 1985 or 2024 or even 1963. They listen to Brahms or Mozart or something wholly alien like Klingon opera.

There are practical, real-world reasons for this. Coming up with this kind of thing for a TV show can be difficult and come across as hokey and awful, and can date your show really badly. Having the crew on shore leave go to a concert of "that popular new musician from Alpha Centauri" either involves doing it off-camera or creating real music and trying to like... intuit what 24th century music is? God help you if you do something asinine like get a guest appearance from Skrillex or something, which is exactly the kind of shit Voyager would've done.

And nobody in the Federation listens to anything that would require expensive licensing, so you can forget Riker rockin' out to The Who. All of that stuff is true to other extents with fashion, visual art, literature, etc. It's just too much to create and present visually for a TV medium. So they just don't do it.

But the end result, even though I understand the practical reasons for that, is the Federation seems really fucked up and culturally stagnant and sterile, longing for a cultured past when people actually had the impetus to create art and explore the human condition. It makes it seem like the humanities died in the pursuit of the sciences, and now these "enlightened people" have to look backwards to figure out their own spirit.

I really wish I had smoked something before reading this because my inner monologue went "Whoa.....dude....." when I finished.

Because this explains exactly why I always felt something was odd about Star Trek but I couldn't put my finger on it.

It also doesn't help that I pretty much walked away from the franchise when TNG ended, so I only really watched that stuff as a kid.

I didn't really put my finger on it until a couple years back when I was rewatching some DS9 with a friend of mine and I really kind of noticed it in the character of Jake Sisko

he's a civilian character who always wears these bland unitards and he just doesn't have any interests or anything, and then he wants to become a writer and a journalist and it kind of shines a light on the fact that I've never once really thought about media and pop culture in the Federation because it doesn't exist

You know what, there's a kind of precedent for that kind of sterility in real life.

Basically Ancient Roman education is kind of the worst. You're taught the three R's, maybe a few limited books and if you're a high flier, how to speak good. There's no educational curiosity. It's sterile imitation for most folks. And the Romans who rose to prominence was often in spite of what they learned.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    i got the mad max fury road sound track which turned out to be a massive mistake since now i want to go to the cinema and see it again

i haven't liked a movie this much since dredd

I've already called Fury Road as the best movie of 2015 because there's no fucking way Star Wars is going to be that good, and what else is there? Jurassic World? Please.

Dredd took me by surprise. I've never read the comics and Stallone's Dredd was.....dreadful..... >.> but the new Dredd was fucking awesome.

I have one quibble, though. When he's on the intercom and he's all, "Ma-Ma's not the law. I'm the law." That should have been *click* done. Soliliquy over. Because "Judgment time" is kinda lame.

it is in line with Dredds character though

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I refuse to make the next chat so if I get named, whoever gets named as back up, take it as a sign to make the next chat immediately

I'm just starting a game with people online hopefully Geth is sensible

but yeah it will be movie of 2015

i mean just seeing the vehicles they crafted for the movie is worth the price of admission

never mind some of the best action set pieces i have seen in years

and Tom Hardy

swoon

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    i got the mad max fury road sound track which turned out to be a massive mistake since now i want to go to the cinema and see it again

i haven't liked a movie this much since dredd

I've already called Fury Road as the best movie of 2015 because there's no fucking way Star Wars is going to be that good, and what else is there? Jurassic World? Please.

Dredd took me by surprise. I've never read the comics and Stallone's Dredd was.....dreadful..... >.> but the new Dredd was fucking awesome.

I have one quibble, though. When he's on the intercom and he's all, "Ma-Ma's not the law. I'm the law." That should have been *click* done. Soliliquy over. Because "Judgment time" is kinda lame.

it is in line with Dredds character though

Yep. He is the Law. Leaving that last bit out would be like not reading them their Miranda rights.

nibXTE7.png
    Fury Road has like instantly ascended into my Cinematographic Pantheon. That's not a common occurrence.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    TOS, TNG, and DS9 are all different shows and are good for different reasons and I think which one you prefer is going to boil down to what you enjoy in a show.

DS9 is the most modern-feeling as it ran until like 1999 and it has the most consequential ongoing plot (although the arc plotting is weird and stoppy-starty by modern serial drama standards). It also makes exploring murky ethical territory a central element of the storytelling - which isn't to say that it's the first to do so (as some fans claim), but it definitely places a higher priority on it.

TNG is the character-focused one. They managed to craft a show populated almost entirely by these immensely likeable archetypal people who are equally watchable dealing with personal issues or saving the human race from some epic, widescreen-scale menage. The show's stories are uneven, although it has three or four of some of the best Star Trek seasons ever, which is pretty churlish to complain about, but from the first episode to the last, the characters power it.

TOS is the fun, exciting, adventurous one. Every single week is packed with a new terrifying menace that can only be defeated by science, ethical humanism, and judo. Where the modern shows were often kind of slowly-paced in a self-important WE'RE TALKING ABOUT ISSUES kind of way, the original show was unabashed good times - it was always trying to be either scary, exciting, or funny - and remains really watchable as a result. This is also why I make a jack-off motion when someone complains that the new movies "aren't Star Trek" because explosions happen in them.

Uh, Enterprise is clearly the best because it stars Scott Bakula which rhymes with Dracula.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hmm Captain America in marvel 2015 is funsies

shield bounce 4ever godbless.gif

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Page 100 is upon us. Geth is prepared. Who shall be chosen?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Bogart wrote: »
    I should go see Mad Max this week.

it's a rare gem where you won't walk out of it thinking "well the visuals were nice but the plot was fucking stupid"

it's just an all round great film

plus come on...

WITNESS MEEEEEEEEEEEE

SHINY AND CHROME

so metal

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    \
    desc wrote: »

Scarlet Witch is da bes

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I LIVE I DIE I LIVE AGAIN
    WITNESS ME BLOODBAG

\

Scarlet Witch is da bes

And the talking cow lied about her parentage.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Drez wrote: »
    TOS, TNG, and DS9 are all different shows and are good for different reasons and I think which one you prefer is going to boil down to what you enjoy in a show.

DS9 is the most modern-feeling as it ran until like 1999 and it has the most consequential ongoing plot (although the arc plotting is weird and stoppy-starty by modern serial drama standards). It also makes exploring murky ethical territory a central element of the storytelling - which isn't to say that it's the first to do so (as some fans claim), but it definitely places a higher priority on it.

TNG is the character-focused one. They managed to craft a show populated almost entirely by these immensely likeable archetypal people who are equally watchable dealing with personal issues or saving the human race from some epic, widescreen-scale menage. The show's stories are uneven, although it has three or four of some of the best Star Trek seasons ever, which is pretty churlish to complain about, but from the first episode to the last, the characters power it.

TOS is the fun, exciting, adventurous one. Every single week is packed with a new terrifying menace that can only be defeated by science, ethical humanism, and judo. Where the modern shows were often kind of slowly-paced in a self-important WE'RE TALKING ABOUT ISSUES kind of way, the original show was unabashed good times - it was always trying to be either scary, exciting, or funny - and remains really watchable as a result. This is also why I make a jack-off motion when someone complains that the new movies "aren't Star Trek" because explosions happen in them.

Uh, Enterprise is clearly the best because it stars Scott Bakula which rhymes with Dracula.

Not even a Quantum Leap could save that show.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Oh boy...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    IzR95Du.png

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

Al guest stars in one episode and they don't even do the obvious winking joke.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Holmes getting the answer in four leads is bullshit fuck you Holmes.

To be fair, I think we were misled by the branding of the cigarette being an actual tobacco brand, and so it just didn't occur to us that there would be a tobacconist of that name that we could visit.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    \

Scarlet Witch is da bes

i never tried her

BUT NOW I CAN TILL LEVEL 10 IF I WANT

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    IzR95Du.png

Was this a real Daily Show thing? Because if so that's awesome, and if not then I am disappointed it is not real.

I LIVE I DIE I LIVE AGAIN
    WITNESS ME BLOODBAG

that is how i want to die

This is so weird.

I need to like learn fashion or some shit so I can properly communicate style names to the models I work with.

edited June 2015
    JJ Abrams was too busy staring into the sun to get permanent retinal haloing as a kid to watch Star Trek.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    This is so weird.

I need to like learn fashion or some shit so I can properly communicate style names to the models I work with.

just tell them to dress anime

they'll kno wat u mean

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    This is so weird.

just tell them to undress anime

they'll kno wat u mean
    :wink:

8i1dt37buh2m.png

I stopped watching after the pilot. Honestly. That fucking theme song.

I stopped watching after the pilot. Honestly. That fucking theme song.

Dis is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDQ3IYcybFc

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 2.7

@Casual will create the new thread
    @Feral is backup

This discussion has been closed.