As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There Is Only [Superhero Thread]

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'd be kinda surprised if they didn't

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm guessing we will probably see a bit of a trimming of Avengers titles in this relaunch

We reached peak saturation around when Marvel Now started till All-New Marvel Now when we had: Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena/Undercover, Secret Avengers, Avengers World, Mighty Avengers and Avengers Assemble at various points

I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it down to one to three titles(New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, ????) and instead focused on a lot of solo books with a handful of teams.

Honestly my most anticipated book so far, provided it ends up having a great creative team, is the one made up of heroes from dead universes. There's just such crazy potential with that concept and we basically already know at least one member of the Great Society is on it so they're pulling from unexpected choices instead of just HEY ITS AGE OF APOCALYPSE WOLVERINE or something.

Wasn't Avengers A.I. around them parts too?

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I can totally see them officially calling it "Avengers" or "New Avengers" but having an All-New, All-Different tag up top - there's a pretty solid precedent there, and something that it wouldn't be a bad idea to call back to at all.

4bc47fb7c6cac.jpg

I had that comic! Sold it a little bit ago. It's such an amazing cover!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm guessing we will probably see a bit of a trimming of Avengers titles in this relaunch

We reached peak saturation around when Marvel Now started till All-New Marvel Now when we had: Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena/Undercover, Secret Avengers, Avengers World, Mighty Avengers and Avengers Assemble at various points

I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it down to one to three titles(New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, ????) and instead focused on a lot of solo books with a handful of teams.

Honestly my most anticipated book so far, provided it ends up having a great creative team, is the one made up of heroes from dead universes. There's just such crazy potential with that concept and we basically already know at least one member of the Great Society is on it so they're pulling from unexpected choices instead of just HEY ITS AGE OF APOCALYPSE WOLVERINE or something.

Wasn't Avengers A.I. around them parts too?

A.I. was launched in the aftermath of Age of Ultron, so kind of, yeah.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Watched The Flashpoint Paradox last night! It was cool, and the animation was really well-done (with the exception of one terrible-looking sequence right at the end)

But it kind of makes Barry Allen seem like a total doofus?
    The opening of the film is really poorly paced, and it ends up making it seem like he got the idea to go back and stop his mom's murder, blowing up the entire timeline, because of a single sick burn from Professor Zoom

Also I'm beginning to suspect the entire Flashpoint event could be read as a commentary on retconning unnecessary violence/tragedy into superhero backstories, but I need more time to think this through

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    so Excalibur vol. 1 #55 has one of the best Crocodile Dundee references I've ever seen

Alan Davis was so good back in the day

YES!

Excalibur is my favorite comic series of all time. Those Alan Davis issues are why I read comics. If you ever want to talk early Excalibur, I am ready.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Everyone in the last couple pages who was excited about the idea of a heroic Sabertooth,

Should check out Exiles.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

Don't forget about A-Force, which is also essentially an Avengers title and will likely get promoted as one.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    guys i think x-men evolution might be the best iteration of mutant drama and politics to date

everything feels way more natural when you weave it with the drama of Teen Problems

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    X-men evolution was pretty great and no one cares to admit it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Huh? I think Evolution is pretty well regarded, just not talked about much

I mean it is where X-23 came from and look where she is now

CYpGAPn.png
    i love how magneto spends an entire season as a SPOOKY SILHOUETTE

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    It's true, we need more teen drama in our superheroes

Really hoping the next Spidey flick favors a balance of high school stuff over superheroics, even if only marginally

also mutant powers as extended puberty metaphor is a very easy storytelling tool, one that the show uses well

edited June 2015

I thought X-23 was already in comics way before Evolution?

edit: damn NYX was 2003? seems like I've been trying to forget it exists for much longer than that

WiseManTobes on

Nope, she's a Harley Quinn.

Nope, she's a Harley Quinn.

Ya figured out my error was thinking NYX was a lot older than it was from trying to forget it.

Also wait, so we had X-men evolution version of X-23 already, and NYX teenage prostitute, was seriously how editorial at the time thought it would be a good way to cross her into the comics?

Weird to remember that Marvel/DC weren't that different that long ago.

I mean, I suppose technically she's a Jimmy Olsen, but whatever.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Also wait, so we had X-men evolution version of X-23 already, and NYX teenage prostitute, was seriously how editorial at the time thought it would be a good way to cross her into the comics?

I like a lot of stuff in NYX.

But yeah

Yeah

That was a terrible choice.

IKknkhU.gif

The Jemas/Quesada era had some gems, but also some of the worst Marvel comics ever produced.

Axel Alonso might actually be the best EiC the company has had since the 80s.

Chuck Austen X-men is from then also ( I have it in singles, it's as close as you can get to outright bagging and boarding pure regret)

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Evolution was one of several failed attempts to build a Marvel animated universe.

I mean, the worst comic Marvel's published since Alonso took over in 2011 has been what? Age of Ultron? Iron Fist: The Living Weapon? That's really not that bad a track record.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I mean, the worst comic Marvel's published since Alonso took over in 2011 has been what? Age of Ultron? Iron Fist: The Living Weapon? That's really not that bad a track record.

His tenure hasn't been as long as the others, so I remain confident he will fuck up something at some point

But yeah, so far, hell of a track record

Letting Hickman loose to do basically whatever he wanted really helped

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think Alonso's biggest strength so far has been letting everyone loose, a bit.

Welp

I lost my pitch to Oni Press I've been working on for a month and a half

I'm gonna go yell into a pillow for a bit

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    :(

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    You know, I know that Bendis confirmed it was Tony but I wouldn't mind if Bendis pulled a fast one in making it Ultimate Tony.

I wondered this too! The ultimate version definitely feels like he has more room for character growth than 616 stark

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Evolution was one of several failed attempts to build a Marvel animated universe.

Uhh, no. Aside from maybe a couple guys that look like they might be AIM in flashback Evolution is very much a stand-alone show.

Besides, they had already succeeded at making a MAU back in the 90s with the two Fox Kids shows which featured cross overs and villains/heroes from other series.

Well Evolution did also have an episode guest starring Captain America and Nick Fury

CYpGAPn.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I fuckin' love OnePunchMan/Eyeshield21's Yusuke Murata:

murata_zpsftw2towe.jpg

Click to see the full sized one.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I fuckin' love OnePunchMan/Eyeshield21's Yusuke Murata:

murata_zpsftw2towe.jpg

Click to see the full sized one.
    I just googled his work and man it's really good

Here's another spider-man illustration he did

I think I should start reading One Punch Man

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    I really want that as a poster

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Murata is a legitimately great artist, I'd love to see him on more stuff, I'm not actually sure what he's working in at the moment OPM aside though.

He needs to pull a Kia Asamiya and shift over to doing Western work.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Well Evolution did also have an episode guest starring Captain America and Nick Fury

Yeah, but Captain America is also very explicitly being kept on ice, as the super soldier serum will cause a highly painful deterioration of his body

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Uhh, no. Aside from maybe a couple guys that look like they might be AIM in flashback Evolution is very much a stand-alone show.

Besides, they had already succeeded at making a MAU back in the 90s with the two Fox Kids shows which featured cross overs and villains/heroes from other series.

X-23 was created by Hydra. SHIELD and Nick Fury were in the show. They had a flashback episode with Wolverine and Captain America in World War 2. And they were trying to get other Marvel shows going at the time but failed.

The 90's MAU actually tied in several shows, not just Spider-Man and X-Men. They had crossovers with Iron Man, Hulk, and Fantastic Four as well. However, that wasn't really a success since the whole thing fell apart, with various shows getting canceled.

They tried to it with some of their straight to DVD movies but that plan got scrapped.

They tried to do it with Wolverine and the X-Men but ran into money problems and that show was canceled.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes was supposed to have a loose continuity with Wolverine and the X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man but unfortunately, that show was canceled in favor of Avengers Assemble.

Dedwrekka wrote: »

X-23 was created by Hydra. SHIELD and Nick Fury were in the show. They had a flashback episode with Wolverine and Captain America in World War 2. And they were trying to get other Marvel shows going at the time but failed.
    Evolution was not intended to be a tie in to any other shows, and no other shows were spun off of it or were crossovers with it. It was a standalone show. Wolverine and The X-Men was not a continuation of Evolution, it was just another X-Men show.
    The 90's MAU actually tied in several shows, not just Spider-Man and X-Men. They had crossovers with Iron Man, Hulk, and Fantastic Four as well. However, that wasn't really a success since the whole thing fell apart, with various shows getting canceled.

There was only ever a crossover with X-Men and Spider-Man even though other characters were present in both X-Men and Spider-Man. There was never a Hulk crossover because Hulk was being used by another station.

Brian, your big announcement for the day was Iron Man. What was it like having the first post-Secret Wars announcement?

Brian Michael Bendis: Very nice. We’ve been talking about it for a long time. This is the book I left the X-Men for. What was charged to me was, Iron Man may be the most famous superhero in the world now. That wasn’t the case when we were kids, but now he is! He’s the biggest movie star in the world. It’s like, him and Batman, right?

So, what can we do in publishing to reflect that? I thought a lot about what characters like Spider-Man have that Iron Man doesn’t have. There’s always been great creators on the character, but he didn’t have the deep bench of antagonists, and that bigger world around him. Tony’s world sometimes feels so insular because he’s literally inside the armor, and that makes it smaller. But sometimes it should actually be gigantic! He has a global, futurist look at the world, so let’s reflect that.

I found it interesting when you said in the panel that you wanted “new villains for Tony.” Was that a deliberate choice of words, that you want Tony Stark to have his own villains, not just Iron Man?

BMB: We’re going to shy away from the armor being this protective cocoon of who he is, and be more out, more outwardly. I think that’s what people liked about Iron Man 3, was Tony Stark adventuring and inventing, you know? I did, too! I just want to focus on Tony the inventor, Tony the futurist. Tony is a futurist, he can see what the world might need, but there are so many things, so which is the right one to focus on? Both as a futurist and a superhero, all these things, when you ask that question there are so many answers that you can’t wait to dig in and try to figure out what Tony’s point-of-view would be.

I would imagine to that end, there would be things like Corporations and even Governments that might question him even more so than just supervillains.

BMB: Yeah, even at the level he’s at as corporate genius, a lot of enemies come with that. You can’t be this successful and this rich and this … without having serious adversaries.

That was my favorite part of Iron Man 3 so I am ALL ABOUT THIS

CYpGAPn.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    That all sounds pretty spectacular

Bendis has a pretty good track record, historically, with reinventing things so hopefully he can pull it off

This discussion has been closed.