As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh, the Rock Island Line is a mighty fine road! [knit-along]

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Just finished my first repeat on the new needles. I didn't even know marble needles were a thing. I don't think I would even notice a difference except for the fact that things really do slip a lot less, which is huge because I have this tiny tiny yarn. On bigger yarn I doubt it would matter, but I guess that's kind of the point.

I'm using US 10 as opposed to US 6 now, and I really like the way it's looking a lot better. I'm sure it still looks something of a mess compared to how it will after the voodoo that you people call "blocking", but I can see the pattern much more easily and feel better about it in general.

I also got a counter to use for repeats so I don't need to leave my lifelines in forever anymore, which is an improvement.

I also got this big thing of soft fuchsia yarn that was on sale. It really has the colors that are in the flowers, which I love. And a pair of size 8 marble needles in case the 10s didn't work out. I really can't go in there.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Ironically, I messed up a life-line so badly I just had to frog the entire thing.

So, back to square one. Again.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I triple-check my lifeline. I put it in, count stitches, and then get it between the needle and the stitches so I can see it. The I check to make sure it didn't pick up anything extra and count the stitches again.

Because man, I do NOT want to start all over again.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Row 50!

My pace slowed down because Witcher 3 has a totally rad endgame

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    edited June 2015
    I started using two life lines, and that did the trick. I have three repeats. It's not much, but considering I'm not just using a pattern, translated from a chart (which is super hard for me) but I'm doing that with lacework, I'm very, very happy right now.

i61dy7gcit28.jpg

(Also, @Ceres if you don't mind, could you share a picture of your marble knitting needles? I had no idea those were a thing, and I'd love to see them!)

Creagan on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Looking good!

This edging is going to be long. By my calculations, right about 6 feet.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    If I may make a suggestion, you might want to use a different color for your lifeline. It'd be a heck of a lot easier to distinguish from your stitches.

Good catch.

Would dental floss work? That's the only different-colored thing I can thing of that might work. (Although it's pretty slick for floss.) We've got some sewing thread, but it's so fine I'm worried about being able to follow it.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    You totally can, I've used dental floss for lifelines before!

Dental floss works great. All it has to do is hold the place and be visible.

Actually if you really wanted to you could probably knit with the stuff. Not very economical, but it's plenty strong.

How do you all put the lifelines in?m the only times I've done it I've used a sewing needle or tapestry needle to feed it through.

The exchangeable circular needles I bought for this have little holes in them you can thread very thin string/yarn through. So you thread it through the hole, and then slide the stitches off the metal part of the circular needles and onto the chord, pulling the string/yarn through the stitches. Then you pull the string/yarn out of the hole, slide everything back onto the metal needle, and continue working.

The needles are a godsend, honestly. I don't think I'd be capable of making a lifeline with a tapestry needle.

I'm still on my first repeat because last night I ended up with a migraine, but here's a picture of that.

megavyeink3w.jpg

And a picture of the needle(s) for @Creagan

a9klwxqfus2n.jpg

Note: The needles are made of acrylic; I seriously misunderstood what she was saying. They have a marbled pattern which is really cool, but it makes a LOT more sense that they are less slippy being made of acrylic than marble.

Those are really pretty needles! (The yarn looks great too!) It makes a lot more sense that they're acrylic. Stone doesn't seem like it'd do particularly well as knitting needles.

edited June 2015
    As you can see I broke my thumbnail below the quick on a hike yesterday; now it's catching everything including yarn, which is really annoying.

@Cello did you get started? :)

edit: I updated the schedule post for week two, and just put "continue". I know Creagan and I are really just starting (again), and I don't have tons of time to begin with. It would be really nice if the people who are nearly done with the edging could sit tight and wait for the rest of us to catch up a bit. :) Then we can all move on to the next part together.

ceres on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    As you can see I broke my thumbnail below the quick on a hike yesterday; now it's catching everything including yarn, which is really annoying.

@Cello did you get started? :)

edit: I updated the schedule post for week two, and just put "continue". I know Creagan and I are really just starting (again), and I don't have tons of time to begin with. It would be really nice if the people who are nearly done with the edging could sit tight and wait for the rest of us to catch up a bit. :) Then we can all move on to the next part together.

I've had a super busy week and hadn't had time, sorry! I do plan to put aside half an hour tonight to get started though. I'll let you know how it goes!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    So this is going a bunch faster than my (attempts) at my last project! Got the cast-on row and two rows of knits for the Beginner Scarf done tonight. I'm going to try the first bunch of repeat rows tomorrow! (I'll take pictures when the progress is slightly more exciting.)

Steam
    No worries, I'll be waiting when I finish the edging. :D Gonna revisit the java socks I'm knitting for Wyborn in the meantime.

signature.png
    Today was pretty busy. I talked to my best friend for six hours, and then my grandfather and brother came over for my little sister's birthday dinner. So I wasn't able to make a lot of progress on the edging. I've got seven repeats total. But I'm still pretty thrilled because it's starting to look like "real" lace, and that's incredible.

Also, I've found that if I quietly say the stitches to myself as I make them, the process is much easier and I can do a repeat in about 20 minutes. The only problem is if anything distracts me, even slightly, I mess up and have to go back to my last lifeline.

Got in a groove and finished the last 21 repeats today.

The edging alone would make a nice little boa

Whoa, nice! I'm on Row 69! Two more...I'll finish tonight. :D

signature.png
    OK, I'm all done with the edging. Time to cheer everyone else on!

signature.png
    Or you could start a second one...

Oh goodness, one is enough for now. Though I doooo have laceweight yarn in other colours... :P

I need the strength to hold off from starting this with dark blue, since the silver beads I ordered for the occasion are now in my possession... But one project at a time. One at a time. Actually, two at a time since there's this KAL and the socks I'm midway through.

signature.png
    edited June 2015
    I actually have that pattern...I must have downloaded it before I realized it had beadwork.

Edit: and now that I look at it, the version I have doesn't call for any beadwork so I don't even know why I never made one

knitdan on
    Yeah, the beadwork is completely optional.

Hmm, maybe it can be the next KAL??? :D

signature.png
    Nice thing is it's a free pattern

Also looks to be several degrees easier than the rock island

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    that looks deceptively simple.

hmmm.

Heroes of the Storm why are you so fun

What repeat are y'all on? :D

signature.png
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I just made it to 25! Hopefully will make some mor progress this week :)

I have... three. My son is sick so I can't start anything I can't hop up from at a moment's notice. :/ I'll just end up tearing it all out.

I've got ten. Things have been unexpectedly hectic this week. I'm trying to make progress when I can.

During a 30 Rock binge, I managed to get another 7 rows onto my Beginner Scarf! Pics tomorrow when I get bored at work!

Steam
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so I've just finished my very first knit scarf of just knit and purl rows alternating. so I think I'm going to join in @Ceres and @Cello on the beginner's scarf!

I'll be using a wool from my stash called Chantilly. It's from Moda Vera. 70% Acrylic 30% Milk Protein. It's a coral type color. the wool calls for 5.5mm needles, I'm going to use 7mm.

Ooooh, shiny!

signature.png
    ok, this wool is dumb and stupid it's spun so loosely that it's practically unspinning itself while I knit. It's almost like it's felting itself on the needles. it's fuzzy and furry and the hairs are shedding.

Plus it looks like crap.

Time to find a different wool!

ahava you are added to the list. And yeah, that stuff looks like butts to work with. I've crocheted with similar looking stuff and it looks nice in a single crochet but drives me crazy. It would probably look nice in something less lacy.

I have managed two repeats tonight once my son went to bed, which brings me up to five, which isn't much. I am more comfortable with it than I was though, and while I can't say it went a lot faster I didn't have to tear anything out once! So that's kind of an improvement. I am also so glad I switched needles. Things slip a lot less, but the pattern is also a lot airier than it was with the smaller needles, which makes me feel better about the end result.

I'm about used to SSK now as well, which is nice. If I'm paying proper attention it's actually easier than trying to get under two stitches for a K2tog with this tiny, tiny yarn.

I'm still tearing things out at least once per attempt. Although at least this time I was able to pick back and redo a row with a missing YO.

So I've got thirteen total, which is way less than I was hoping for, but at least my finger's healed (I cut it a few days ago) and I can keep making progress.

Yeah my thumbnail tore off just below the quick and was ragged for a few days, and it caught EVERYTHING painfully. I didn't even bother with my tiny fuzzy yarn for a day or two.