As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sense8: Season 2 is out

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    So I'm watching episode 4.
    These people holding Nomi have to be on the take, right? The nurse, the orderlies, and certainly the doctor.

I mean, the mom seems like an idiot so she probably believes she really is "helping", but I can't believe any of the others actually believes this is on the up and up.

It's basically a step up from pray away the gay camp.
    The doc and nurse may or may not believe they're doing the right thing but definitely knows what they're doing is illegal. However also probably getting tons of cash from Nomi's mom.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    These people holding Nomi have to be on the take, right? The nurse, the orderlies, and certainly the doctor.

I mean, the mom seems like an idiot so she probably believes she really is "helping", but I can't believe any of the others actually believes this is on the up and up.

The doc and nurse may or may not believe they're doing the right thing but definitely knows what they're doing is illegal. However also probably getting tons of cash from Nomi's mom.

All during those scenes I was worried that
    Nomi wasn't getting her hormones. Like, intellectually I know she had a far more serious problem coming at her like a freight train, but I can imagine that any transitioned person must think in those terms of their hormone schedules, too.

• Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    I'm up to 7 and love it.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Quid wrote: »

All during those scenes I was worried that
    Nomi wasn't getting her hormones. Like, intellectually I know she had a far more serious problem coming at her like a freight train, but I can imagine that any transitioned person must think in those terms of their hormone schedules, too.
    I don't know what the schedule looks like (daily, weekly, twice a month), but the first thing we see her do is take an injection

and (time line spoilers)
    The whole season is only about 10 days.

Google says that the SF Pride Parade (2015) starts on 27 June, and the show covers Independence Day. I'm not positive on anything after that, but I can't imagine it's more than two or three more days.

Tamin on
  • MouserecoilMouserecoil Registered User regular
    i binge watched this whole thing, and I thought it had nice cinematography and action, as well as an interesting idea. The idea that it might go multiple seasons, though, and have some large arc in the vein of b5...

The Sense8 project was our last, best hope for peace. It failed, but in the year of Jonas's War, it became our last, best hope... for VICTORY.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Final episode.

I've been loving this show. I loved Cloud Atlas and this hits a lot of the similar beats. Plus I'm a suck for whenever
    The sensates get together to help each other. I was squeeing when several of them showed to help Nomi escape.

I really hope people give this a chance, it is a little slow to start, but it really picks up. And the last two episodes-hot damn. They'll remind you it's the Watchowskis directing this thing.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Holy shit the end of Ep 7.

That has... potential.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Ep 8
    That scene in SF with half the pod kicking ass together was awesome.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Final episode.

I've been loving this show. I loved Cloud Atlas and this hits a lot of the similar beats. Plus I'm a suck for whenever
    The sensates get together to help each other. I was squeeing when several of them showed to help Nomi escape.

I really hope people give this a chance, it is a little slow to start, but it really picks up. And the last two episodes-hot damn. They'll remind you it's the Watchowskis directing this thing.

I loved all the cheesy action movie scenes that Lito was in, especially the one with the art and all the wires. It was great.

steam_sig.png
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Final episode.

I loved all the cheesy action movie scenes that Lito was in, especially the one with the art and all the wires. It was great.

One of my favourite Lito moments was
    Him pulling up to rescue Daniella like it was out of one of his movies. He strolls up to the bad guy, tells him what is about to go down - and then gets his ass kicked. Until Wolfgang returns the favour and helps him out.
    Then they ride off into the sunset - just like one of his movies.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Got done with the season.

Holy shit. I'm going to avoid big discussions of anything right now because I'm still trying to process it all. I will say one thing though. It sounds like it'll be 5/6 seasons depending on if/how Netflix wants to split it up; Five seasons of this is going to be brutal.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I really wish the Korea portion was in Korean. I guess they may have felt that would mean they should have the other "international" cells speaking in the region's language, and thus possibly made the show inaccessibly foreign, but Doona's plot is really hindered by the delivery of awkward and slurred English.

Cried a bit during episode 4.

No shame.

metaghost wrote: »
    I really wish the Korea portion was in Korean. I guess they may have felt that would mean they should have the other "international" cells speaking in the region's language, and thus possibly made the show inaccessibly foreign, but Doona's plot is really hindered by the delivery of awkward and slurred English.

The languages do at least start to bounce back and forth as the show goes on. But no matter what they did it would have been imperfect given the concept.

Oh wow episode 6

I'll be in my bunk

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    just finished episode 1.

absolutely no idea where it's going but i'm in.

steam_sig.png
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    This show gives me lots of feels. Kinda feels like the right thing at the right time.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Nomi's mom is a butt and I would like her to be in no other scenes.

also I do appreciate the cast diversity. that's really nice.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2015
    Episode 2

Will's reaction during the chase was absolutely perfect.
    WHAT THE FUCK!??!?!?!?!??!"

:lol:

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    After a bit of reflection, I feel like I've done myself a bit of disservice by main-lining this series this weekend.

Like. A complete digestion of each episode (possibly by re-watching each episode before the next in a parsed out weekly basis) would have provided even greater impact near the season's end.

• Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    I'm just watching one or two episodes a day. I don't think I could watch more than that. I want to take it all in. However, don't be surprised if I just say F and watch the rest of the episodes in one go. I did that with Daredevil.

I'm just watching one or two episodes a day. I don't think I could watch more than that. I want to take it all in. However, don't be surprised if I just say F and watch the rest of the episodes in one go. I did that with Daredevil.

I work weekends, so my first few days of new Netflix shows are generally only 1-2 episodes at a time... then my weekend hits on Tuesday and I burn through the rest of the series. It's actually been a pretty good method, since I get time to think about/post on forums about the themes and concepts of the show for a few days, then watch the rest like one very long movie.

• MrMrMeMrMrMe Registered User regular
    Hmm this was only ok for me? The wife really liked it, I liked the concepts, especially the bits where people worked together to solve problems.

I really felt they were pushing the LGBT thing really hard, which I'm all for, but

End of Series Spoilers
    only the LGBT people have happy endings. Sun is in SK prison, which they showed as being not too bad - yeah sure. The cop is about to lose his job, and the only thing the dad is proud of him for, and has yet to tell him, also has the big bad in his head. The thief is about to be hunted by police, interpol, and the remaining members of his family. The DJ is literally having a mental breakdown. The indian is about to marry a man she does not love. The gay guys are all good, the two ladies are all good, so the whole end was meant to be a happy ending? That is the feeling the wife had as well. Maybe I misread it, but they are riding away into the sunset, which normally means everything is all good. I was confused thinking there was another episode but no.

I would like a proper ending for everyone please.

If I have offended anyone I am sorry, not my intention at all. I am this upset when the reverse is true as well. I like endings, and hate when shows assume they will get another season to wrap up things.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Just watched the first episode. The dialogue is a bit clunky in places but otherwise I'm thoroughly intrigued.

Also between this and Penny Dreadful, we're seeing a surprising amount of unclothed Doctor Who companions. Does this mean that naked Catharine Tate is next?

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    MrMrMe wrote: »
    Hmm this was only ok for me? The wife really liked it, I liked the concepts, especially the bits where people worked together to solve problems.

I really felt they were pushing the LGBT thing really hard, which I'm all for, but

End of Series Spoilers
    only the LGBT people have happy endings. Sun is in SK prison, which they showed as being not too bad - yeah sure. The cop is about to lose his job, and the only thing the dad is proud of him for, and has yet to tell him, also has the big bad in his head. The thief is about to be hunted by police, interpol, and the remaining members of his family. The DJ is literally having a mental breakdown. The indian is about to marry a man she does not love. The gay guys are all good, the two ladies are all good, so the whole end was meant to be a happy ending? That is the feeling the wife had as well. Maybe I misread it, but they are riding away into the sunset, which normally means everything is all good. I was confused thinking there was another episode but no.

If I have offended anyone I am sorry, not my intention at all. I am this upset when the reverse is true as well. I like endings, and hate when shows assume they will get another season to wrap up things.

Hmm, I can see were you're coming from, to a poit, but I also think that by the end of this season the viewer (or at least me) wasn't keeping a tally of who was in 'good' situations because from my perspective, and what I think the writers were trying to communicate, the entire pod is in trouble so none of them are safe. Some might be in more... comfortable.. situations, but it's generally an ending to the season where everyone is alive (the goal), but there are major storm clouds on the horizon.

Hmm, I can see were you're coming from, to a poit, but I also think that by the end of this season the viewer (or at least me) wasn't keeping a tally of who was in 'good' situations because from my perspective, and what I think the writers were trying to communicate, the entire pod is in trouble so none of them are safe. Some might be in more... comfortable.. situations, but it's generally an ending to the season where everyone is alive (the goal), but there are major storm clouds on the horizon.

Probably a better take on it.

Probably a better take on it.

Like, I guess, I don't like expressing to anyone how they should feel about a particular thing, or put undo stress in one direction or another; so I hope you and your wife are able to enjoyably internalize the show in your own way (without silly internet folk like myself injecting uncomfortableness into that process), but this show has so much nuance, and character development... it's just a good fucking show.

End of Series Spoilers

Do endings have to be happy to be "proper endings?"

I'm not done with the season yet, but
    god forbid there be a show where the LGBTQ characters have happy endings. There's been decades of TV and movies where gay people are uniformly punished for their lifestyle, whether explicitly or not. There's even a whole cliche' about lesbians never surviving to the end of the movie. Trans people are the butt of jokes more often than not, their stories considered less important than those of cisgendered, heteronormative folks. Even if this was an intentional agenda on the part of the show creators instead of the natural progression of the storylines (I have no idea, not there yet), I can hardly fault the Wachowskis for turning the normal stereotype on its head.

Regardless, none of these characters' stories are over; it's pretty clear that the Wachowskis would sure like this series to go for more seasons. Even if they have "proper endings" for this season, I doubt that state of affairs is going to last, and those that did not get "proper endings" will doubtless find relief somewhere next season.

I have to say I do think the characters were brilliant, and I liked the show, and the wife loved it.

Sun and Max, by far, are my favourites. Sun having honour, and following tradition was well acted, written, and heartbreaking to watch.

Liking Max is unusual for me as I normally dislike criminals immensely. I refuse to watch Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy etc simply because they glorify criminals/criminal enterprises.

Having lived in Africa, Aml was spot on a few guys I knew who lived there, and his back story is one I heard a lot. In the circles I was in, AIDs is everywhere, everyone knows someone who has it, most have a family member dead or dying due to it. It brought back a lot of bad memories. Gangs and tribal police everywhere too.

I have to say I do think the characters were brilliant, and I liked the show, and the wife loved it.

Sun and Max, by far, are my favourites. Sun having honour, and following tradition was well acted, written, and heartbreaking to watch.

Liking Max is unusual for me as I normally dislike criminals immensely. I refuse to watch Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy etc simply because they glorify criminals/criminal enterprises.

Having lived in Africa, Aml was spot on a few guys I knew who lived there, and his back story is one I heard a lot. In the circles I was in, AIDs is everywhere, everyone knows someone who has it, most have a family member dead or dying due to it. It brought back a lot of bad memories. Gangs and tribal police everywhere too.

Okay, I was confused. "Max? I don't remember any criminal named Max. And I definitely would remember a character named 'Aml.'" But you were going by actor names! Except with Sun/Doona Bae.

Right.

Sun is pretty great. I'm still only at about the halfway point of the season, but
    her taking the fall for her brother's corporate misappropriation ("embezzlement" is such an ugly word...) gives me a big ol grin on my face, because that lady will rule a South Korean white collar women's prison in no time. I have absolutely no worries for her at all. I'm only sad because her dog will probably miss her while she's gone.

Sorry I tend to mix character and actor names up all the time, names are a thing I'm really bad both in the fictional and real world.

Its something Ive worked on for about 20 years now, its like I have this blank spot that I can't fix.

Sorry I tend to mix character and actor names up all the time, names are a thing I'm really bad both in the fictional and real world.

Its something Ive worked on for about 20 years now, its like I have this blank spot that I can't fix.
    I believe that I will get over it. :biggrin: I sympathize. I still stutter sometimes over 30 years after I supposedly corrected the problem with a speech therapist.

A lot of the time it's hard to tell an actor from a character, anyways. Like, Keanu is always Keanu whether he's Keanu Wick or Neo Keanu.

edited June 2015
    Wow that.

Wow episode 6.

I kept waiting for it to cut but it just got more intense.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    Scathing review of Sense8 from Collider. Yikes.
    Collider wrote:
    Sense8 cuts down vastly on the imagistic invention while relying on a similarly vague overarching plot as Jupiter Ascending, which, in this case, barely gets any traction within the first three episodes. What’s left is a whole lot of forced urgency and unrelenting preaching in the service of a kind of origins story, bringing together a team of eight super-beings who might just be able to make the world a utopia through their devotion. It’s a crass, unthinking, and fatally nostalgic conception, tossed at the audience like Will’s father’s colostomy bag and sold as a science fiction fantasia, despite the fact that Sense8 is nearly as shallowly sanctimonious as a Tyler Perry film.

Oh, no, you did not.
    Nomi (Jamie Clayton), for instance, is a trans woman with ample intelligence and an unshakable fearlessness, and the scripts position her as a victim of a cruel world, whether in the form of her bigoted parents or a friend of her girlfriend’s who gives her a verbal lashing for … some reason.
    This reviewer wasn't carefully watching the scene... or has no clue as to what trans folks have to deal with. A cisgendered lesbian verbally attacking a transgendered woman for taking up cultural space that a "real woman" could be filling up is sadly not very far-fetched. I suppose that the scene could be criticized for being a little culturally dense and relying on insider knowledge to be perfectly clear, but, shit, even if I didn't know anything about the transgendered community, I could probably unpack some inter-LGBTQ hostility out of that, which would set up the odds and stakes for later...

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    I'm on mid-episode 4
    I wish they'd just use Korean in Korea

and the same in other countries/languages

as it is, the one time they've spoken Korean so far is, you know

which is weird

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    Nomi (Jamie Clayton), for instance, is a trans woman with ample intelligence and an unshakable fearlessness, and the scripts position her as a victim of a cruel world, whether in the form of her bigoted parents or a friend of her girlfriend’s who gives her a verbal lashing for … some reason.
    This reviewer wasn't carefully watching the scene... or has no clue as to what trans folks have to deal with. A cisgendered lesbian verbally attacking a transgendered woman for taking up cultural space that a "real woman" could be filling up is sadly not very far-fetched. I suppose that the scene could be criticized for being a little culturally dense and relying on insider knowledge to be perfectly clear, but, shit, even if I didn't know anything about the transgendered community, I could probably unpack some inter-LGBTQ hostility out of that, which would set up the odds and stakes for later...

Well, that particular scene made me go huh? as I've not seen this here in Australia, but then again I'm not really invested in that community at all. We figured that it came down to something like sub-culture elitism, so thank you for clearing it up.

Shame we all can't just get along and respect each other.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

End of Series Spoilers

didn't the gay guy just sort of out himself totally putting his career at risk, and pick a fight with a psychotic drug king pin?

I'm going to guess those are not things which are resolved.

Also, aren't the cops and an evil multinational still hunting the transgirl? Not really sure those thing got resolved so much as the cops don't know where she is at the moment.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    wow episode 6

I'm still in Starbucks, trapped by rain

had to hide 4/5 of the video window behind my browser

Jesus

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    Scathing review of Sense8 from Collider. Yikes.
    Collider wrote:
    Sense8 cuts down vastly on the imagistic invention while relying on a similarly vague overarching plot as Jupiter Ascending, which, in this case, barely gets any traction within the first three episodes. What’s left is a whole lot of forced urgency and unrelenting preaching in the service of a kind of origins story, bringing together a team of eight super-beings who might just be able to make the world a utopia through their devotion. It’s a crass, unthinking, and fatally nostalgic conception, tossed at the audience like Will’s father’s colostomy bag and sold as a science fiction fantasia, despite the fact that Sense8 is nearly as shallowly sanctimonious as a Tyler Perry film.

Oh, no, you did not.

Pretty much every complaint I've seen about Nomi's story is fairly ignorant or in denial about what TG and LGBT people deal with in general. Really the only issues I've had with her story so far have been from episodes 4 and 6
    Her girlfriend incidentally being at the hospital in scrubs with a wheel chair right as she was walking past the check out was too convenient for me.

And I can believe her mom found some medical personnel willing to lobotomize her to "cure" her of being transgendered. I find it kind of unbelievable that she could get the cops to help her too and steal all her stuff.