As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There Is Only [Superhero Thread]

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Bendis has a way stronger history of success when it comes to solo titles versus team books so I'm pretty hopeful

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Why do you say that? His only successful solo book really has been Ultimate Spider-Man. His Spider-Woman and Moon Knight books did not do well at all.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Why do you say that? His only successful solo book really has been Ultimate Spider-Man. His Spider-Woman and Moon Knight books did not do well at all.
    I meant quality wise

USM
    Daredevil
    Alias

I liked his Moon Knight but am aware it isn't widely loved

Spider-Woman was totally fine but nothing special

Plus I mean, USM on its own is 200+ issues of constant quality

Old Man Logan is only 1 issue in but it's debut was the best he's had in a loooong tine

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Evolution was one of several failed attempts to build a Marvel animated universe.

Uhh, no. Aside from maybe a couple guys that look like they might be AIM in flashback Evolution is very much a stand-alone show.

Besides, they had already succeeded at making a MAU back in the 90s with the two Fox Kids shows which featured cross overs and villains/heroes from other series.

X-23 was created by Hydra. SHIELD and Nick Fury were in the show. They had a flashback episode with Wolverine and Captain America in World War 2. And they were trying to get other Marvel shows going at the time but failed.
    Evolution was not intended to be a tie in to any other shows, and no other shows were spun off of it or were crossovers with it. It was a standalone show. Wolverine and The X-Men was not a continuation of Evolution, it was just another X-Men show.

They tried to make more Marvel shows around the time when Evolution was on the air. That's why I said that they failed to create an animated universe.

And I never said that Wolverine and the X-Men was a continuation of Evolution.
    The 90's MAU actually tied in several shows, not just Spider-Man and X-Men. They had crossovers with Iron Man, Hulk, and Fantastic Four as well. However, that wasn't really a success since the whole thing fell apart, with various shows getting canceled.

There was only ever a crossover with X-Men and Spider-Man even though other characters were present in both X-Men and Spider-Man. There was never a Hulk crossover because Hulk was being used by another station.

There was crossover between all the Marvel shows, except for Hulk, during the Secret Wars arc on Spider-Man. However, Hulk was also in that continuity since it crossed over with Fantastic Four.

2ij5em0.jpg

And even though they all ran on different channels. X-Men and Spider-Man ran on Fox while the other Marvel shows were syndicated, they were all made by the same production companies, used many of the same animators, and were distributed by Saban.

• Options
    Bendis' Moon Knight is so bad, though. It is so gimmicky and nonsensical.

• Options
    I liked the gimmick!

And it isn't nonsensical, it just widely ignores how MK's psychosis had been portrayed in the past.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean the whole "Marc Spector is suddenly a television producer for some reason" status quo he introduced was nonsensical

the gimmick was also nonsensical though because it was a blatant ploy to increase sales with no in-story justification

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

Daredevil made his name at Marvel more than USM did

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    X-men evolution was pretty great and no one cares to admit it

I love that it made Jean and Scott teenagers, while having Wolverine be more of an older mentor figure, thus neatly avoiding the damn love triangle. And Goth!Rogue was also neat.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
    Gaze into the face of despair

d1w7hb770fro.jpg

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    No anime

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    If I find any I'll make sure not to post it

Uncle PK on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    nikzbitz4a029e4834dda.jpg

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I read Action Comics 41 last night and it was rad as hell, plus it was kind of a boost from Pak's recent Superman stories which had been kind of dark.

I can't wait to see where the line goes for the next few months.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Uncle PK wrote: »

8-)

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Evolution was one of several failed attempts to build a Marvel animated universe.

Uhh, no. Aside from maybe a couple guys that look like they might be AIM in flashback Evolution is very much a stand-alone show.

Besides, they had already succeeded at making a MAU back in the 90s with the two Fox Kids shows which featured cross overs and villains/heroes from other series.

X-23 was created by Hydra. SHIELD and Nick Fury were in the show. They had a flashback episode with Wolverine and Captain America in World War 2. And they were trying to get other Marvel shows going at the time but failed.
    Evolution was not intended to be a tie in to any other shows, and no other shows were spun off of it or were crossovers with it. It was a standalone show. Wolverine and The X-Men was not a continuation of Evolution, it was just another X-Men show.

They tried to make more Marvel shows around the time when Evolution was on the air. That's why I said that they failed to create an animated universe.

The 90's MAU actually tied in several shows, not just Spider-Man and X-Men. They had crossovers with Iron Man, Hulk, and Fantastic Four as well. However, that wasn't really a success since the whole thing fell apart, with various shows getting canceled.

There was only ever a crossover with X-Men and Spider-Man even though other characters were present in both X-Men and Spider-Man. There was never a Hulk crossover because Hulk was being used by another station.

There was crossover between all the Marvel shows, except for Hulk, during the Secret Wars arc on Spider-Man. However, Hulk was also in that continuity since it crossed over with Fantastic Four.

2ij5em0.jpg

And even though they all ran on different channels. X-Men and Spider-Man ran on Fox while the other Marvel shows were syndicated, they were all made by the same production companies, used many of the same animators, and were distributed by Saban.

That isn't a crossover. Crossover is when two shows share continuity by introducing characters in continuity from one show into another. An example would be like the Buffyverse when one character leaves to go somewhere in one show, and arrives in the other one, or Sitwell leaving Agents of SHIELD in one episode to show up in Winter Soldier, or Spider-Man leaving during his show to talk to professor X and showing up at the X-mansion in the X-men series.
    The characters just showing up in one show isn't a crossover, it's just an appearance.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    So lets say im interested in playing Marvel Heroes, out of the Available heroes I like Captain America, Black Panther, Moon Knight, Venom, and Magneato. Any recommendations of who I should unlock as my starting hero?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

2ij5em0.jpg

That isn't a crossover. Crossover is when two shows share continuity by introducing characters in continuity from one show into another. An example would be like the Buffyverse when one character leaves to go somewhere in one show, and arrives in the other one, or Sitwell leaving Agents of SHIELD in one episode to show up in Winter Soldier, or Spider-Man leaving during his show to talk to professor X and showing up at the X-mansion in the X-men series.
    The characters just showing up in one show isn't a crossover, it's just an appearance.

I don't think most people use that definition. Like, this is way closer to what I think a "crossover" is
    A fictional crossover (or simply crossover) is the placement of two or more otherwise discrete fictional characters, settings, or universes into the context of a single story.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    cap, venom and magneto are all strong

also on day two they give you enough freebie currency to unlock most heroes, so in practice you can pick two starter guys

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    So lets say im interested in playing Marvel Heroes, out of the Available heroes I like Captain America, Black Panther, Moon Knight, Venom, and Magneato. Any recommendations of who I should unlock as my starting hero?

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Cap, he's a ton of fun

Those are all really good picks, though, so maybe just watch a few videos showing them off, pick and choose from there

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Cap is fantastic, probably one of the top tier heroes right now. Moon Knight is pretty good, but not as fun to play as Cap. I can't speak for the others.

Also next week they are giving away a free hero (allegedly of your choice, as long as it isnt Doom).

Next week means next Thursday.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Uncle PK wrote: »

Oh I'm sorry

No manga

That other thing that is totally different and still banned

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Legendary Star-Lord #12
    We get to see bits of the Collectors collection, including
    -The Beyonders Blazer
    -A giant molar of Galactus
    -Rocket Raccoons tail (apparently his current tail is parasite.
    -Thanos's childhood shoes
    -A framed picture of Drax's family from when he was Arthur Douglas
    -A love letter from Richard Rider to CONFIDENTIAL
    -A video of Peter Quill singing in a ska band

Also some other stuff that's kind of spoilery to the plot, so I won't mention it.

• Options
    edited June 2015

2ij5em0.jpg

I don't think most people use that definition. Like, this is way closer to what I think a "crossover" is
    A fictional crossover (or simply crossover) is the placement of two or more otherwise discrete fictional characters, settings, or universes into the context of a single story.
    It's in the word though. It's when two existing stories cross over one another.

Like if the fantastic four weren't in their own cartoon at the time, they totally fail the "discrete" part of your definition. If there's nothing separating them, then they aren't separate settings.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I have some tvtropes entries that will help.

• Options

2ij5em0.jpg

Or it's when one character crosses over to another characters world.

• Options

2ij5em0.jpg

Yes, but if the character isn't established as part of another world then it isn't a cross over.

Two situations:

1) Two characters have their own separate shows. For one or more episodes they appear in each other's show.

2) Two characters where only one has their own show. The character without a show appears in the show of the one who does.

The first one is a crossover because they're established in their own separate settings of their own show.

The second one is not a crossover because only one is established as having a distinct setting.

You wouldn't call an episode with Doctor Octopus on Spider-Man's show a "crossover", because Doc Ock is an established part of Spider-Man's show and not an established part of his own distinct setting.

• Options

2ij5em0.jpg

Yes, but if the character isn't established as part of another world then it isn't a cross over.

In your opinion, which as I've stated, doesn't seem to be the opinion which most people are operating on, which explains where the confusion between you and KingOfMadCows is coming from.

• Options

2ij5em0.jpg

In your opinion, which as I've stated, doesn't seem to be the opinion which most people are operating on, which explains where the confusion between you and KingOfMadCows is coming from.

What is it crossing over with? If the F4 show up in a show, but don't have their own established show, then what is the show actually crossing over with? Itself? If it isn't crossing over with something that's usually just called a guest/special appearance.

• Options

2ij5em0.jpg

What is it crossing over with? If the F4 show up in a show, but don't have their own established show, then what is the show actually crossing over with? Itself? If it isn't crossing over with something that's usually just called a guest/special appearance.

...from the Fantastic Four IP? The FF exist as a concept across comics, TV and almost-film at that point. They are "discrete fictional characters"

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Nothing is more interesting and vital than semantics.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Vital? I don't understand what you're getting at, why would semantics be alive?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

Vital? I don't understand what you're getting at, why would semantics be alive?

I believe what BionicPenguin The Third, Esquire meant is a second definition of the word Vital, as seen below, which has been in wide use since the 1610s.
    vi·tal
    ˈvīdl/
    adjective
    absolutely necessary or important; essential.
    "secrecy is of vital importance"
    synonyms: essential, of the essence, critical, crucial, key, indispensable, integral, all-important, imperative, mandatory, requisite, urgent, pressing, burning, compelling, high-priority, life-and-death, of the utmost importance, utmost
    "it is vital that action be taken soon"
    antonyms: unimportant, peripheral
    indispensable to the continuance of life.
    "the vital organs"
    synonyms: major, main, chief

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Yo.

Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier is fucking CRAZY.

Ales Kot's twitter makes all of this make slightly more sense. I guess.

But I think I love it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I was really bummed out by BB: TWS

I was hoping for fun, crazy adventures in space with Daisy Johnson

Instead I got weird trippy adventures in space with Daisy Johnson

The Loki issue made me drop it because Loki was speaking in verse the whole time for no reason and also was Old Loki which Ewing had to later justify as being Old King Loki and Barnes "bringing out the poet" in him.

Real pretty art though

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

2ij5em0.jpg

Fantastic Four had their own established show. Marvel had several animated shows that ran at around the same time. X-Men ran from 92 to 97. Spider-Man ran from 94 to 98. Iron Man and Fantastic Four ran from 94 to 96. Incredible Hulk ran from 96 to 97. They tried to make it sort of link the different shows together with cameos and crossovers and there was a loose continuity but it wasn't really a cohesive universe. Which why it's a failed attempt to build an animated universe.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I was really bummed out by BB: TWS

I was hoping for fun, crazy adventures in space with Daisy Johnson

Instead I got weird trippy adventures in space with Daisy Johnson

The Loki issue made me drop it because Loki was speaking in verse the whole time for no reason and also was Old Loki which Ewing had to later justify as being Old King Loki and Barnes "bringing out the poet" in him.

Real pretty art though

Ive been buying books I think Ill like but havent had time to read any of them.

So tonight I finally MADE time, got my stack and sat in my comfy chair with a nice regular old beer.

And read Ant-Man 1-5. (er 6? The end of the arc) It was delightful and my beer was the perfect relaxing drink to such a great fun story.

Then I read BB:TWS #1.

I immediately switched from my beer to this random ass weird pear/hot pepper sake I have, and had a drink before reading #2-8.

I will say that trying to get into the mindset of Ales Kot may have helped IMMENSELY, as I loved it - but I absolutely would NOT recommend it to anyone who's not in the mood for SUPER weird, existential trippy shit.

That said - I am SO glad there's a spot for something like this in the MU.

The reveal as to the big nemesis was so awesome, and I can't wait to bust this sake out again for the next issue.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Also since I have this nice sake buzz going on I may finally read "ODY-C", which I got 1-4 of.

And as an aside, I went to the comic shop today to get Midnighter (I went to school with the writer, and he's an AWESOME guy so I wanted to support it), and while I was checking out and employee started talking to my girlfriend about what she likes, and what she's seen I've been reading.

...10 minutes later she checked out herself with Wytches 1-6, Sabrina #1, Archie/Predator #1, and a new Colin Bunn book (something County?). They're all in what she now deems "her" pile, near my longboxes.

Thank you to that employee. She even said "if you do a pull list, can I get on that?"

It's been a great day.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh yeah the fact that a weird trippy prog rock in comics form book like TWS can be published at Marvel is a super rad thing

I just have never been a fan, personally, of books like that and love love love Bucky as a character so it was a little disappointing

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.