As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The return of the policing thread (All police news, all the time)

19596979899101»

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    This sort of thing happens all too often, where a bunch of black people gather for a completely innocuous purpose and some racists call the cops because the assembly of black people cannot possibly lead to anything good. Was it this thread, or some other thread on some other forum that had the story about the bus full of school students staying at a hotel in North Florida, where the hotel workers called the cops because nope, entirely too many black kids here.

It's insane, it's like some places have gone nowhere in the last 70 years.

So what do you think businesses should do when a large crowd enters without permission and refuses to leave? That's not a public location and is for residents only.

What does this question have to do with the preceding statements?

He's trying to make the argument that "well, businesses have the right to demand that people who do not have permission to be there leave." Which, of course, ignores that:

* They did have permission.
    * The only reason the other residents were complaining was because of their skin color.

* This is a routine occurrence.

The first one, the police were called by pool security who said a large crowd of people were there without permission. The police then got called by a number of people who reported fighting. Do you have some video or audio to back up that second part?

EDIT: I think the police responded badly but it is possible for both parties to be in the wrong.

Yes. I also didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, and realize that in these sorts of communities, people lie about fighting and permission being granted with regards to minorities. Quite often.

I get it, because of the color of their skin and where they live you decided you know what really happend.

Well since you were there at the scene, why don't you explain what really happened, since you seem such an expert in Arm Chair Law Enforcement practice and policy?

edited June 2015
    Ticaldfjam was warned for this.
    Alazull wrote: »
    This sort of thing happens all too often, where a bunch of black people gather for a completely innocuous purpose and some racists call the cops because the assembly of black people cannot possibly lead to anything good. Was it this thread, or some other thread on some other forum that had the story about the bus full of school students staying at a hotel in North Florida, where the hotel workers called the cops because nope, entirely too many black kids here.

So what do you think businesses should do when a large crowd enters without permission and refuses to leave? That's not a public location and is for residents only.

He's trying to make the argument that "well, businesses have the right to demand that people who do not have permission to be there leave." Which, of course, ignores that:

* The only reason the other residents were complaining was because of their skin color.

The first one, the police were called by pool security who said a large crowd of people were there without permission. The police then got called by a number of people who reported fighting. Do you have some video or audio to back up that second part?

EDIT: I think the police responded badly but it is possible for both parties to be in the wrong.

Yes. I also didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, and realize that in these sorts of communities, people lie about fighting and permission being granted with regards to minorities. Quite often.

I get it, because of the color of their skin and where they live you decided you know what really happened.

Dude, I watched something like what AngelHedgie is implying happened here go down twice when I was living in Georgia. I would bet that most people that have lived in the South for an appreciable amount of time have watched something very similar go down.

We are making assumptions and sweeping generalizations, but so far nothing I've seen come out of this has made me think they are uncalled for. I'm willing to say that this is a case of an overly aggressive police officer attacking black children because of racism, but lets not pretend that racism might not be why police were called to the scene to begin with.

Hey, leave the upstanding citizen poster above alone! Hes just sying, why can't they be like, less darkie and more white!

After all, he was totally there at the scene.

Jacobkosh on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I get it, because of the color of their skin and where they live you decided you know what really happend.

I've seen this shit happen over and over (the entirety of this thread being an record of such) that I no longer have either the desire or the wherewithal to give communities that routinely use policing as social and racial control the benefit of the doubt. You want to, more power to you. But I've seen this movie too many times, and I know how it ends.

And if you live in these areas, you know this particular two-step by heart. Every accused minority is a criminal, because that's how those people are. But every instance of white racism must be litigated to the smallest detail, with a lot of weight put on every possible objectionable action past and present of the minorities involved.

It's not even the that these kids got the cops called on them for being too loud. That could happen anywhere to any group of rowdy kids. It's the angry white people circling and harassing them as the cops move in. That's not normal for anyone who isn't popping blood vessels because the "wrong" people are in their territory.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

I get it, because of the color of their skin and where they live you decided you know what really happened.

Dude, I watched something like what AngelHedgie is implying happened here go down twice when I was living in Georgia. I would bet that most people that have lived in the South for an appreciable amount of time have watched something very similar go down.

We are making assumptions and sweeping generalizations, but so far nothing I've seen come out of this has made me think they are uncalled for. I'm willing to say that this is a case of an overly aggressive police officer attacking black children because of racism, but lets not pretend that racism might not be why police were called to the scene to begin with.

Hey, leave the upstanding citizen poster above alone! Hes just sying, why can't they be like, less darkie and more white!

Come on, this is totally uncalled for.

I don't agree with Cabezone but let's not throw unsubstantiated accusations of racism around like this.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It's a transparent attempt at character assassination. The content of music is basically never legally actionable.

Well, except for the guy who's facing life in prison because he mad a mixtape.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Rapper-Tiny-Doo-to-Stand-Trial-on-Gang-Conspiracy-Charges-for-Lyrics-284829561.html

Dehumanized on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    It's a transparent attempt at character assassination. The content of music is basically never legally actionable.

Well, except for the guy who's facing a murder 1 charge because he mad a mixtape.

wait, what?

jnij103vqi2i.png

I don't agree with Cabezone but let's not throw unsubstantiated accusations of racism around like this.

I'm not the one who sarcastically injected race into this until the poster in questions comment about ; "I get it, because of the color of their skin and where they live you decided you know what really happened."

edited June 2015

Well, except for the guy who's facing a murder 1 charge because he mad a mixtape.

wait, what?

Clarified the post. I had forgotten some of the details, the last news I've heard about it was back in November.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/12/tiny-doo-pleads-guilty-faces-life-prison-mixtape/ <--- this URL is bad SEO, the actual article title is "Tiny Doo Pleads Not Guilty"

Dehumanized on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    oh I remember that, now.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I'm not the one who sarcastically injected race into this until the poster in questions comment about ; "I get it, because of the color of their skin and where they live you decided you know what really happened."

I think you misrepresented Cabezone pretty severely, though. "Less darkie and more white" is putting some pretty atrocious words in their mouth.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    McKinney, Texas, and the Racial History of American Swimming Pools

Worth reading to understand what is happening here in terms of societal dynamics.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Also, Coates on Kalief Browder and how the justice system destroyed him.

There needs to be an accounting in the Bronx DA's office. People need to lose their jobs and law licenses over this shit.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Rapper-Tiny-Doo-to-Stand-Trial-on-Gang-Conspiracy-Charges-for-Lyrics-284829561.html

Well. It's a crazy law, but at least in this case the Jury says "heeell no"
    nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Diego-Tiny-Doo-Rapper-Gang-Conspiracy-Case--296455551.html

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden

nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Diego-Tiny-Doo-Rapper-Gang-Conspiracy-Case--296455551.html

That's good to hear. The case totally dropped off the radar after the charges were announced in the first place. What a waste of time and money for the dude who made the mixtape.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/06/08/police-officer-who-shot-walter-scott-indicted-for-murder/

Indictment is moving forward. But don't be surprised if he gets off with minimal charges or none. If that enhanced tape is to be believed.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

I just read the article but unless I missed something, it was the judge who threw it out. And I think he threw it out before a jury was seated.

I honestly have little faith a jury wouldn't have convicted him. A large black man and a prosecutor tells the jury he is a gangster who wrote gangster rap about his murderous activities. Probably enough to convict (but obviously not enough to get past a judge).

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I'm not necessarily opposed to RICO style stuff for gangs, I don't see a huge difference between gangs and organized crime.

However, it will quickly become a problem if the police are allowed to identify people as being in a gang simply because they are from the neighborhood that the gang is in. That's not how mafia types are looped into RICO cases, it requires more than just "Oh well he is from the neighborhood and Italian-American so obviously".

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/06/08/police-officer-who-shot-walter-scott-indicted-for-murder/

Indictment is moving forward. But don't be surprised if he gets off with minimal charges or none. If that enhanced tape is to be believed.

I think the most significant part of that article is this:
    So far this year, police officers have shot and killed more than 400 people, according to a Washington Post database tracking police shootings all year. There are three cases this year that have resulted in charges, including the North Charleston case, and all three involved video footage.

Which says to me: Charges against police are extremely unlikely in any unjustified shooting unless there is video evidence.

Which also indicates that police really are getting away with murder all the time.

All those families with murdered sons or daughters or brothers or sisters or mothers or fathers, and the justice system has completely abandoned them.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

So far this year, police officers have shot and killed more than 400 people, according to a Washington Post database tracking police shootings all year. There are three cases this year that have resulted in charges, including the North Charleston case, and all three involved video footage.

Which says to me: Charges against police are extremely unlikely in any unjustified shooting unless there is video evidence.

Which also indicates that police really are getting away with murder all the time.

All those families with murdered sons or daughters or brothers or sisters or mothers or fathers, and the justice system has completely abandoned them.

Caveat: Unless theres video evidence the police don't know about before it gets out to the public/press, Otherwise it'll mysteriously disappear and the possessor end up in jail on some made up charges.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

Caveat: Unless theres video evidence the police don't know about before it gets out to the public/press, Otherwise it'll mysteriously disappear and the possessor end up in jail on some made up charges.

This goes for things other than murder, like arresting that motorcyclist on false pretenses so the cop could erase the GoPro tape of all the cops actions.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm not necessarily opposed to RICO style stuff for gangs, I don't see a huge difference between gangs and organized crime.

However, it will quickly become a problem if the police are allowed to identify people as being in a gang simply because they are from the neighborhood that the gang is in. That's not how mafia types are looped into RICO cases, it requires more than just "Oh well he is from the neighborhood and Italian-American so obviously".

There are many gangs where their members are identifiable by tattoos.

• NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

Same problem though.

"Oh, he/she has tattoos...so...OBVIOUSLY they are in a gang."

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Same problem though.

Not quite.

Gangs have certain tattoos, usually small or symbolic ones. I highly doubt anyone is going to see a butterfly on a girls shoulder and think she belongs in the Crips.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Same problem though.

I'm pretty sure that the presence of gang-related tattoos on a person can give rise to justifiable reasonable suspicion for an officer. Note, I'm saying "reasonable suspicion" which is a much lower bar than "probable cause" yet still allows an officer to stop a person.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697

Same problem though.

Not quite.

Gangs have certain tattoos, usually small or symbolic ones. I highly doubt anyone is going to see a butterfly on a girls shoulder and think she belongs in the Crips.

...have you met the sorts of people who become prosecutors these days? If they think they can get a win in court, you better believe they would.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Same problem though.

Not quite.

Of course not, the Crips use a dolphin on the ankle.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2015

This was out of line.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Same problem though.

Not quite.

...have you met the sorts of people who become prosecutors these days?

Have you? Don't you live in Montana? Why do I constantly find myself in topical threads seeing you posting like a fucking clown?

This thread has served its purpose for the time being and will be taking a hiatus.

rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.