As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2015 Challenge Coin - Additional coins available

• smashilatorsmashilator Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    Viva la coin slot!

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I can second/third @akidderz coins being absolutely amazing in person.

• ThornkinThornkin Registered User regular
    I thought we would just be starting. Guess I'm a little late. Great choices for both front and back. The coin is one of my favorite items from PAX. I am looking forward to this one. Thanks for all the hard work Skelevader and others.

• GreatfritoGreatfrito Registered User regular
    This is such a cool idea, and I'm finding all kinds of crazy things I missed out on last year. Not this time, though.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I have not had a lot of time to work on this, but I got a blank template for anyone who wants to try as well:
    pnMDkRc.png

I am planning on having a bit of time this weekend to start.

IhtGIyi.png
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I always gotta get my coin fix!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I have contacted Kiddercorp to start the mock up phase. I have not had anytime to work something up myself so I asked them to get us an image.
    They said it should take 3 - 4 days to create a draft and then we can go from there.

We are shooting to have the coins ordered by the end of this month so people can get them on time.

IhtGIyi.png
    Here is the first basic mock up:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BylPyWyh2FlbdzVvTEVNbWtUcS1qX1B4T2JlUnRkcS1WSzBZ/view?usp=sharing

There is a good amount of tweaking that needs to happen still. I let them know the date need fixed, and a few design element need changed, like no color.
    Also, I asked if they can get us a 3D mock up of the front without the thumb.

Stay tuned.

IhtGIyi.png
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Was about to say were not doing color right? but then I realized you said that already. I like the classic style we've stuck with aside from the year we did the 2" coin x.x

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Looking good. Can't wait for the 3D mock ups.

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
    Link to the latest update:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BylPyWyh2FlbeHdVYUc5U1UtZDYyamZPTW9SbVNOQXc0Qnhr/view?usp=sharing

We are getting close to needing to order the coins, so I think we have time for only one more revision if needed.

I would like to see the mini "PAX Community" shield on the quarter.
    Let me know your thoughts and I will send it back this afternoon.

IhtGIyi.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

I love it just as it is. I don't think it needs the shield. It's awesome!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    @SkeleVader The dates on the mockup are wrong. It's the 28th through 31st.

Mvrck wrote: »
    @SkeleVader The dates on the mockup are wrong. It's the 28th through 31st.

Good catch.

IhtGIyi.png

I love it just as it is. I don't think it needs the shield. It's awesome!

If everyone likes it the way it is then I will have them update the date and get the die started.
    I will hold off until this afternoon so others can comment.

IhtGIyi.png
  • forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The coin seems distorted? I know we had them remove the thumb from the last image, but it looks off to me.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
    The coin seems distorted? I know we had them remove the thumb from the last image, but it looks off to me.

Looking at it a bit closer, it looks like they just cut it off a bit too much. I will see if I can photoshop a coin in tonight.

IhtGIyi.png
    Here is my edit to the front to make the quarter look a bit better:

6qUgNuU.jpg

Let me know what you think.

IhtGIyi.png
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like your quarter much better. As for the shield, I think it looks great without. Very excited to get my hands on one this year!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Looks good, I can't wait to see the finished coin!

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BylPyWyh2FlbeHdVYUc5U1UtZDYyamZPTW9SbVNOQXc0Qnhr/view?usp=sharing

We are getting close to needing to order the coins, so I think we have time for only one more revision if needed.

Recursive challenge coin. Have the 'quarter' be the challenge coin with the 'insert coin' side showing. I am sure it will be a lot of work, but this may be the only chance we get for a long while, if ever.

7B14287.png
  • nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »

Recursive challenge coin. Have the 'quarter' be the challenge coin with the 'insert coin' side showing. I am sure it will be a lot of work, but this may be the only chance we get for a long while, if ever.

Coinception.

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • AractorAractor Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I think it looks great as is, but would love to see a quick mock-up with the PAX community shield idea for comparison. I love the idea of incorporating the community shield, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how it would look.

Attended: Prime 2011, Prime 2012, Prime 13, Prime 2014
    Enforced: West 2015, West 2016
    76561197962492129.png
  • VolkatVolkat SANVERS WARRIOR T-town, WARegistered User regular
    Definitely better without the thumb and the updated quarter looks a lot better. I like it as is, myself, but something with the community shield in a future coin could be cool. Looking forward to the final product!

SOON.
  • arconicarconic Registered User regular
    looks good to me though agree that seeing a mock up with the community shield would be nice.

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    First off I'd like say as one designer of a community thing to another, sterling work on the challenge coin for PAX Prime 2015; it's looking great.

For what it's worth here are my thoughts on the design as it currently stands:
    • The slot idea is great but the removal of the thumb makes little sense to the context. That moment as you plop the coin into that slot is a trigger for experiencing a game based typically on the attract screen alone. That is the essence you should be capturing here.
    • The coin should not be a challenge coin as that makes zero sense! Challenge coins are things you keep and treasure, not spend! Keep it as a quarter as that maintains the original concept.
    • The monorail side needs to be reduced in complexity. Too much fuss makes it impossible to make out what it's supposed to be. I say remove the museum from the background and just have the monorail itself.

Keep up the excellent work, I look forward to seeing one in the flesh a couple of months from now.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    kropotkin wrote: »
    First off I'd like say as one designer of a community thing to another, sterling work on the challenge coin for PAX Prime 2015; it's looking great.

For what it's worth here are my thoughts on the design as it currently stands:
    • The slot idea is great but the removal of the thumb makes little sense to the context. That moment as you plop the coin into that slot is a trigger for experiencing a game based typically on the attract screen alone. That is the essence you should be capturing here.
    • The coin should not be a challenge coin as that makes zero sense! Challenge coins are things you keep and treasure, not spend! Keep it as a quarter as that maintains the original concept.
    • The monorail side needs to be reduced in complexity. Too much fuss makes it impossible to make out what it's supposed to be. I say remove the museum from the background and just have the monorail itself.

Keep up the excellent work, I look forward to seeing one in the flesh a couple of months from now.

Agreed, the challenge coin makes zero sense. On the other hand I do like the EMP behind the monorail. It doesn't look too busy to my but that's just one opinion. :)

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    Quick update:

The artist & production team are still working to get the quarter fixed and look good. We are still on track for our schedule & we should have something soon.

IhtGIyi.png
  • IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    Thanks for the update.

Here is the final artwork:
    http://i.imgur.com/oJDyi4g.jpg

Unless anyone can find an error, such as spelling mistake, then I think we are good to go.

I will wait until this afternoon to give final approval, and then we can get the die made and start the ordering process.

IhtGIyi.png
    Looks good to me. I'm excited to see the final product.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm ready to throw money at you.

Just one question, why is there an octopus on the coin slot image? I may have missed that reasoning.

Imsorad wrote: »
    I'm ready to throw money at you.

Just one question, why is there an octopus on the coin slot image? I may have missed that reasoning.

I'm pretty sure that's just part of the image we used for the coin slot. I guess it adds 'flavor' to the coin?

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • VolkatVolkat SANVERS WARRIOR T-town, WARegistered User regular
    I don't see any errors, myself. It looks great! Also glad it's gonna have a reeded edge for that "quarter" effect too. Well done! Looking forward to buying and displaying it!

SOON.
  • shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    Imsorad wrote: »

Because the mighty Cthulhu demands all your quarters ;)

• AractorAractor Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Here is the final artwork:
    http://i.imgur.com/oJDyi4g.jpg

Unless anyone can find an error, such as spelling mistake, then I think we are good to go.

I will wait until this afternoon to give final approval, and then we can get the die made and start the ordering process.
    Late to the party I know...but personally I'd still like to see a rendering that shows more of what the actual final coin will look like, this still looks very much like a mock-up to me. Before someone goes to the trouble of making the physical die I'd want a better idea of how the final product will look, such as how the 3D elements are expected to actually show up.

Overall though, I think the coin is looking amazing!

Aractor on
    Attended: Prime 2011, Prime 2012, Prime 13, Prime 2014
    Enforced: West 2015, West 2016
    76561197962492129.png
  • flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Looks good! Doooo iT

We currently have an order of 200 coins being made that should be ready to start shipping at the start of August.
    Once i get a picture of the test coin to verify the die is correct I will post it up.

I am currently working with our vendor to iron out the order process as well.

Stay tuned.

IhtGIyi.png
  • ThornkinThornkin Registered User regular
    Looks great. I am excited to add to my collection.

Here are the 3D renders of the artwork:
    c9QpvvCm.jpg
    dm7d21wm.jpg

I have all the pricing and will be posting the order form soon.

IhtGIyi.png