As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    probably not? if you average the excess you eat on a cheat day over the week it probably doesn't add up to much over your normal diet intake unless you really go nutso. And just like one day a week cutting back probably won't have a big impact on weight loss, one day of not giving a shit probably won't have a big impact on weight gain. It's all about long term aggregates. Also if you're really shifting your approach to eating you'll probably find yourself still eating quite healthy on a cheat day anyway.

caveat: I don't really believe in super restrictive diets anyway, but I do believe that if you're on one of those diets you're probably more likely to give into the 'fuck it may as well eat six pizzas' fallacy if you never let yourself satisfy a craving.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    When I was in montreal we never did get a chance to have a beaver tail.

The place down by the port was closed.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Are you implying that eating six pizzas isn't a good weight loss plan?

This could explain several things.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Do cheat days really not have that big an impact on a diet?

It depends how you do it. If you're on a 200 per day deficit and you eat an extra 1400 calories on a cheat day, yeah, you'll slow down your progress a lot (obviously it's more complicated than that). The psychological effects of cheat meals aren't always positive either. They remind you how good the food you like is, and can reignite sugar cravings.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Birthday week! I have consumed a large chocolate cake more or less solo, a small victoria sponge, also solo, and was treated to a six course meal on Thurs (though it was v. fancy so hopefully not especially taxing). Also had my first packet of biscuits since January, though "only" choc chip hobnobs rather than milk choc hobnobs. So uh, yeah, bit of a cheat week :P

S'all good though, got it out of my system! I'm also now able to reliably accomplish 3/4 sets of 25 pull ups (over the course of a day, haha), so feeling pretty good. 30's been something of a target ever since I saw that Fitocracy achievement ages ago.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Huh. Im down five pounds in two weeks.

Probably should be more worried than pleased.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    That's not an unheard of amount, and some of it is probably water weight that you were just holding onto previously.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I would worry, it's probably cancer

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Well I got out on the bike in some lovely weather. First time out in a fornight so I'm quite pleased with 48 miles in 4 hours. Albeit with a 3 hour gap at the midpoint as I popped in and visited family.

The pint I stopped for on the way home went down loooovely.

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I've been doing a cheat day every 2-3 weeks. It does make an impact, but I don't miss this stuff as much as I thought I would, so I haveable to keep myself on track.

I think I'm having a lot of hip and thigh pain because I have less fat to cushion my my body parts, so I need to get into some stretches and strength exercises.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah as long as it's a cheat day and not a challenge yourself to consume everything day in pretty sure they are fine.

At this stage I'm pretty sure ninety percent of my weight changes either involve not drinking or drinking booze.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Because I knew you were wondering:

Can you power a toaster with a bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O5voOCqAQ

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i feel weird to post this but i want to

i was looking at this pic from this weekend and i was like

huh

i guess the gym is working

hard to notice

numbers on the scale have barely changed
    i had to crop out my squad, so sad

S4Y9G0hl.jpg

poo
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Arms gettin real penisy, good job Shaz

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    After a week of eating normal keto--admittedly to excess, low-carb pizza isn't low-calorie pizza--my shipments have arrived and I'm on to my third flavor of Keto Chow, chocolate mint.

It's basically flavorless, with a mint aftertaste? Which makes it the least pleasant to drink so far--at least 'chocolate cardboard' triggered that 'well I guess it tastes healthy?' feeling, this one's just a chore, I'm resorting to chugging it quickly. Going to have to play with it some, see if I can get it tasting better--I tried increasing the concentration, from 3 shakes to 2. That turned out to be a very terrible idea. Might just need to be saltier, since I forgot the potassium stuff when I ordered. Have some Nu-Salt around here somewhere, guess I'll try that next.

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    A revelation: Eating healthier would easier for me if I stopped being lazy and learn how to actually cook

FqmsaJ6.png
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Alright I can't use the rain as an excuse to be lazy and play video games all day on my day off anymore so time to get back to doing 15k steps 5 days a week which means long walks on my days off.

Currently on 2 miles out of 7 and its only a heat index of 88 with 60% humidity. I am become sweat destroyer of cleanliness.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Drink lots of water

edited June 2015
    penis arms is the goal rite

hard throbbing and full of blood

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Drink lots of water

I had 70 ounces, it was not enough.

Kamar wrote: »
    After a week of eating normal keto--admittedly to excess, low-carb pizza isn't low-calorie pizza--my shipments have arrived and I'm on to my third flavor of Keto Chow, chocolate mint.

It's basically flavorless, with a mint aftertaste? Which makes it the least pleasant to drink so far--at least 'chocolate cardboard' triggered that 'well I guess it tastes healthy?' feeling, this one's just a chore, I'm resorting to chugging it quickly. Going to have to play with it some, see if I can get it tasting better--I tried increasing the concentration, from 3 shakes to 2. That turned out to be a very terrible idea. Might just need to be saltier, since I forgot the potassium stuff when I ordered. Have some Nu-Salt around here somewhere, guess I'll try that next.

So, it was the lack of potassium making it bland. I found some Nu-Salt in the back of a cupboard, added enough to hit the 1g/daily rec for people on keto (apparently you retain less sodium, so you need less potassium?), and voila, tastes like a proper drink again. Thank god, this week was going to be brutal.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    So, been a year and a half since I officially started working towards getting myself healthier. Started things around 326 lbs in January of 2014 and am now hovering between 290 and 285. I've attributed a lot of this to the martial arts class I've been going to 3-4 times a week and cutting portions and eating healthier but I know I still have a ways to go. Ideally while I know I will probably never have a slim runner body as I am wide as fuck I would just like to someday be able to actually see myself without the spare tire around my gut. Maybe even someday be able to tell that I have abs which I know is going to get harder and harder as time goes on.

I guess I feel like I should be doing more than just my classes. They are really good for cardio and work my legs and arms like crazy at times (lunges like whoa and swinging a sword around) and I have noticed a lot of muscle gain in both of those areas but I feel like I should be doing something else. I want to continue to see myself losing weight and decreasing my size but I seem to have stalled which is why I feel like I should be doing something else. I guess the biggest hurdle I keep experiencing is that I tend not to do much physically on my own. I do my classes with other folks which makes for a really great environment to want to push myself but I seem to have trouble getting that same motivation and drive when I try something on my own. I've pondered trying out things like c25k and tried out DDP yoga a couple of times but just haven't found the drive to stick with it. Maybe it's just needing something to hold me accountable? I guess I'm just trying to open up and be honest about it and hoping to maybe get some advice with regards to it. I even have apps on my phone at the ready like myfitnesspal and c25k but just always seem to disregard them. Anyway, sorry for blabbing about stuff but if anybody has any advice/constructive criticism/butt kicking to give feel free.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    For the last few days I've been taking the train and then walking to school, instead of taking the train and bus. I'm a pretty sedentary person, so this is progress!

steam_sig.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Changing your daily commute / travel to be human powered is a pretty big gain. Of course the USA is pretty unfriendly for this (no bikelanes, large distances, harsh winter weather), but if you can swing it, a bicycle is a pretty sound investment.

@Gonmun
    First of all congrats on the progress. That isn't easy at all. And yeah, you have to find something you can stick with. Weightloss and fitness is a long game. Do you have friends that do any form of exercise that you can join? Is there a second sport you may want to join? If you're looking for other cardio, swimming or cycling are quite common. Some people can have the discipline to cycle through a 30min show on routine. They're usually pretty cheap second hand because a lot of people buy them and never use them.

You could also try to be more structured about food. Consider going to https://www.eatthismuch.com/ and plan out a weeks worth of diet (add in some fruit, that site doesn't suggest much of it), and try to stick with it. The advantage of something like that site is that it also encourages you to try new things so a calorie limit doesn't just feel like punishment, but instead a new path. I'd advice to take it slow though, don't try and starve yourself into low weight. That's dangerous without a doctor and nobody is able to keep it up for a long time.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    @SanderJK Thanks! I shall definitely check out that site today. As far as friends to go with me though I'm afraid there aren't really any around right now. I might check in with my co-workers as I know some of them participate in an indoor soccer league but was kind of hoping to maybe do something in a gym. Hopefully I can figure something out.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    Ow I hit myself in the trachea with a barbell lol

poo
  • Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    Played basketball with my marathon running dad and his crew of old dudes.

Jesus Christ. Beware the old mansketball.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Ow I hit myself in the trachea with a barbell lol

Yeah I hit the chin today. Overhead work always finds a way to fuck with me.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    got halfway through a run this evening and hit some kind of dizzy light-headed thing
    felt like i was gonna black out so I put my head between my knees for a while and then walked home

this week has been frankly shit for exercise, hopefully can pull it out tomorrow

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So, as some of you know, for the past couple of months I've been getting ready to spend a year studying abroad in Australia.

I ended up documenting my weight loss efforts, suddenly deciding to give the Paleo diet a go (my first ever real diet attempt) and signing up for a personal trainer.

Now that I'm a week away from flying out, let's check in. Pun not intended. (I'm including Week 3 because that's when I started using calipers to measure body fat)

WEIGH-IN WEEK 1 (11/04/15)

205LB/93.1KG

WEIGH-IN WEEK 3 (15/04/15)

201LB/91.3KG
    26.4% Body Fat

WEIGH-IN WEEK 10 13/06.15)

189LB//85.7KG
    15.2% Body Fat

That's a loss of 16lb and at least 11% Body fat.

HECK YEAH.

Somestickguy on
    edited June 2015
    someone at bbq said
    "This dude gets buffer and buffer every time I see him"

eeeee
    FEELS GOOD MUST MAKE MORE PROGRESS VANITY IS GOOD

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    All my 5x5 stuff seems to be progressing at a rate I'm happy with, except my overhead press. That seems to be stuck at 25 plus the bar and I have no clue why.

Inquisitor on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My grip was definitely too wide, thanks!

I feel like I should dig up videos like that for all the 5x5 exercises, drop my weight on everything for a bit and double down on form while building the weight back up. Wouldn't be surprised if I slipped into some other bad habits while getting the weight higher.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Yup I've been doing everything wrong

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    someone at bbq said
    "This dude gets buffer and buffer every time I see him"

eeeee
    FEELS GOOD MUST MAKE MORE PROGRESS VANITY IS GOOD

fyi I think the same thing every time you post a picture!

edited June 2015
    Down to 197lbs*, not losing at insane speeds anymore but still losing. In two weeks I'm moving to the Quad Cities, where I can do BJJ again and start getting fit. Might invest in (stuff to make?) a power rack etc., since I'll be settling in to this next rental for a while--being realistic with myself, I have barely enough willpower to do a free weight regimen, but definitely lack the willpower to go somewhere to do one.

I did forget the one hateful side effect of a ketogenic diet--it makes you hotter. I was barely dealing with the heat and humidity of this place without AC before, now it's unbearable for about 6 hours of the day. Oh well, it's worth it for the benefits.

*I weigh a few times a day and only log times/days when I hit a new low, makes me feel good about progress. I don't stress it when I swing up randomly, it's a positive reinforcement thing.

Kamar on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

Yup I've been doing everything wrong

Press is definitely a lift where some small form tweaks can make a massive difference, learning how to press off of your lats is a game changer.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just did the first day of that C25K thing. I survived!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I've tried C25K three or four times, never made it more than a few days. Running is for any amount of time is a miserable experience for me, I get super stressed for some reason--hyper aware of the weather, the fit of my clothes and shoes, scenery going by, burn of my muscles, joints, etc., etc. I take about 20 seconds to start hating everything everywhere forever.

Maybe it's a sensory overload thing, although I usually don't have trouble with that.

This discussion has been closed.