As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sense8: Season 2 is out

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah everybody's position at the end
    Capheus: Killed half of the Superpower gang and it's leader. The rest may or may not seek vengeance. He does however have the wealthy crimelord in his debt.

Wolfgang: Killed his uncle and cousin and a bunch of henchmen. May or may not be hunted by the law and any survivors he didn't account for.

Kala:Still engaged, but she's at least expressed her reservations to her father and was mostly honest with her fiance. Her fiance still appears to be totally awesome. Maybe the priest and his followers will show up again?

Sun: Still in prison and kicking copious amounts of ass.

Riley: Powered through her past trauma. Is with Will on a boat somewhere in Iceland.

Will: Suspended, but with Riley on a boat. Has the bad guy in his head and probably is never allowed to know where he is until that's dealt with.

Nomi: Still wanted. Still with her girlfriend.

Lito: Out. Or at least potentially out. Back with Hernando. Joaquin will probably start some shit later.

As far as the language thing, I mostly didn't mind it. It took a few episodes before I realized they were doing the thing where if they're speaking English, it's because they understand whatever language is actually being spoken.
    The one that really bothered me was Sun's brother. Was he being dubbed or something? His voice and delivery sounded really weird.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Scathing review of Sense8 from Collider. Yikes.
    Collider wrote:
    Sense8 cuts down vastly on the imagistic invention while relying on a similarly vague overarching plot as Jupiter Ascending, which, in this case, barely gets any traction within the first three episodes. What’s left is a whole lot of forced urgency and unrelenting preaching in the service of a kind of origins story, bringing together a team of eight super-beings who might just be able to make the world a utopia through their devotion. It’s a crass, unthinking, and fatally nostalgic conception, tossed at the audience like Will’s father’s colostomy bag and sold as a science fiction fantasia, despite the fact that Sense8 is nearly as shallowly sanctimonious as a Tyler Perry film.

Oh, no, you did not.
    Nomi (Jamie Clayton), for instance, is a trans woman with ample intelligence and an unshakable fearlessness, and the scripts position her as a victim of a cruel world, whether in the form of her bigoted parents or a friend of her girlfriend’s who gives her a verbal lashing for … some reason.
    This reviewer wasn't carefully watching the scene... or has no clue as to what trans folks have to deal with. A cisgendered lesbian verbally attacking a transgendered woman for taking up cultural space that a "real woman" could be filling up is sadly not very far-fetched. I suppose that the scene could be criticized for being a little culturally dense and relying on insider knowledge to be perfectly clear, but, shit, even if I didn't know anything about the transgendered community, I could probably unpack some inter-LGBTQ hostility out of that, which would set up the odds and stakes for later...

Pretty much every complaint I've seen about Nomi's story is fairly ignorant or in denial about what TG and LGBT people deal with in general. Really the only issues I've had with her story so far have been from episodes 4 and 6
    Her girlfriend incidentally being at the hospital in scrubs with a wheel chair right as she was walking past the check out was too convenient for me.

And I can believe her mom found some medical personnel willing to lobotomize her to "cure" her of being transgendered. I find it kind of unbelievable that she could get the cops to help her too and steal all her stuff.

Late/Full season spoilers
    Nomi's mom had very little to do with her hospitalization and almost surgery. The people behind it just exploited her terribleness to use her as a patsy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Ending stuff
    I was so happy to see Kala actually doing something in the last episode. I know she had chemistry knowledge, but she never really contributed at all until that point.

I think more than anything, the last episode was about each of them embracing who they are individually and collectively. The characters that had already struggled through that (Nomi, Lito) were at the peak of their game and got happier endings than those that were still unsettled going in.

I absolutely loved the entire Iceland sequence. All of them coexisting its great.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I actually complained to my girlfriend that they didn't cast a trans woman to play Nomi, because she was clearly just a regular woman playing a role.

Then I checked Wikipedia.

Wow I know nothing.

I don't know how to say this properly so I hope I don't offend but she transitioned very well. I couldn't tell.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Collider wrote:
    Sense8 cuts down vastly on the imagistic invention while relying on a similarly vague overarching plot as Jupiter Ascending, which, in this case, barely gets any traction within the first three episodes. What’s left is a whole lot of forced urgency and unrelenting preaching in the service of a kind of origins story, bringing together a team of eight super-beings who might just be able to make the world a utopia through their devotion. It’s a crass, unthinking, and fatally nostalgic conception, tossed at the audience like Will’s father’s colostomy bag and sold as a science fiction fantasia, despite the fact that Sense8 is nearly as shallowly sanctimonious as a Tyler Perry film.

Oh, no, you did not.
    Nomi (Jamie Clayton), for instance, is a trans woman with ample intelligence and an unshakable fearlessness, and the scripts position her as a victim of a cruel world, whether in the form of her bigoted parents or a friend of her girlfriend’s who gives her a verbal lashing for … some reason.
    This reviewer wasn't carefully watching the scene... or has no clue as to what trans folks have to deal with. A cisgendered lesbian verbally attacking a transgendered woman for taking up cultural space that a "real woman" could be filling up is sadly not very far-fetched. I suppose that the scene could be criticized for being a little culturally dense and relying on insider knowledge to be perfectly clear, but, shit, even if I didn't know anything about the transgendered community, I could probably unpack some inter-LGBTQ hostility out of that, which would set up the odds and stakes for later...

Pretty much every complaint I've seen about Nomi's story is fairly ignorant or in denial about what TG and LGBT people deal with in general. Really the only issues I've had with her story so far have been from episodes 4 and 6

Lana Wachowski probably had a lot of input on the character drawing from personal experience. One of my best friends and roommates way back when was a M2F trans. Listening to how people would talk to her (to her face and behind her back) was often sickening. There are a lot of crazies out there who think that trans people are mentally ill. They don't think of the transgendered as people. Hell, not even 100 years ago, the treatment for being gay or trans was literally a prefrontal lobotomy. I am positive there are still plenty of crazy, right wing, christian doctors out there who think it's still a valid treatment.

Glenn Beck claims to have 70,000+ "black robe" followers that think the LGBT community should be rounded up and put into concentration camps.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Ending stuff
    I was so happy to see Kala actually doing something in the last episode. I know she had chemistry knowledge, but she never really contributed at all until that point.

I think more than anything, the last episode was about each of them embracing who they are individually and collectively. The characters that had already struggled through that (Nomi, Lito) were at the peak of their game and got happier endings than those that were still unsettled going in.

I absolutely loved the entire Iceland sequence. All of them coexisting its great.

I really loved the scenes where they all pitch in to lend their skills and get someone out of a jam.

However one thing I thought was cool and then had a second thought later.
    When Capheus is driving to help Nomi escape. It was cool that he was useful, but he's from Nairobi and drives a big giant bus. I'm sure traffic and vehicle conditions are different enough that it may make it trickier to drive evasively? He was basically driving evasively in a foreign country which sounds reaaally hard.

I would have thought that Will, a cop, with training on how to drive fast in traffic, would have been the ideal driver in that situation, yeah?

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    One thing that bugged me;
    How did little Will see the dead girl? That's not supposed to happen, right? Dead sensates don't stay in their pods, according to what we're told, so how did she keep talking to Will?

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    Watched the first season over the weekend. It takes an episode or two to get going, but I loved it.

Full season spoiler question:
    Can someone explain what was going on with Riley during the last few episodes, when she was having those visions of driving through some Icelandic mountains at night with some guy and crashing?

At first I thought that was her mother, because those scenes started showing up while everyone else was reliving their births and there is clearly a baby. But then it really looks like Riley in those scenes (which could just be the whole psychic switcheroo thing that happens a lot, I guess), and the guy in the car (...Sven?) looks just like the guy with the boat at the end of the last episode.

I'm just all kinds of confused.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Morblitz wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Ending stuff

I really loved the scenes where they all pitch in to lend their skills and get someone out of a jam.

However one thing I thought was cool and then had a second thought later.
    When Capheus is driving to help Nomi escape. It was cool that he was useful, but he's from Nairobi and drives a big giant bus. I'm sure traffic and vehicle conditions are different enough that it may make it trickier to drive evasively? He was basically driving evasively in a foreign country which sounds reaaally hard.

I would have thought that Will, a cop, with training on how to drive fast in traffic, would have been the ideal driver in that situation, yeah?

On your spoiler about the driver and Nomi
    bus drivers in 3rd world countries are pretty hardcore. It might take a second to realize what side the stering wheel is on and acclimate to the other side of the road, but he is literally in a situation where he doesnt care, or need to care.

Also he has the spirit of jean claude korean lady inside him to guide his badassness.

I have to agree with a lot of the negative reviews I've read. This show just goes way to slow in parts, and you end up not giving a shit about other storylines that they focus too heavily on, assuming there going to roll them in to everyone else later. I agree with snuggleworth's original opinon that the stereotypes are very strong.(of course the disenfranchised professional asian lady knows kung fu, etc). There was an episode where I think I cringed at every piece of dialogue. And it was after the episode where the mexican action star joked about shitty lines with his boyfriend, making it that much worse.

edit: part of this got eaten. I've enjoyed it overall but its been up and down. Feels like the new lost to me. I'm 8ish episodes in and im worried its not going to pan out before the season ends.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ynuu wrote: »
    Watched the first season over the weekend. It takes an episode or two to get going, but I loved it.

Can someone explain what was going on with Riley during the last few episodes, when she was having those visions of driving through some Icelandic mountains at night with some guy and crashing?

At first I thought that was her mother, because those scenes started showing up while everyone else was reliving their births and there is clearly a baby. But then it really looks like Riley in those scenes (which could just be the whole psychic switcheroo thing that happens a lot, I guess), and the guy in the car (...Sven?) looks just like the guy with the boat at the end of the last episode.

That was her.
    when she goes to visit the graves, there's one with the same birth and death dates.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Ynuu wrote: »

Riley stuff
    It was a bit of a bait and switch. The show had been hinting for a few episodes that Riley had maybe been driving a car and had an accident that killed her mother.
    But, it looks like her mother's death was completely unrelated. When she visits the the grave, the names on the grave are Magnus (Sven's son) and Luna, with the birth and death date the same.
    Magnus and Riley were highschool sweethearts who got married, and then in the rush to get to the hospital for her delivery had an accident that killed Magnus and later the baby.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Collider wrote:

Oh, no, you did not.

Lana Wachowski probably had a lot of input on the character drawing from personal experience.

Huh, I had no idea about this. I guess that explains why they're now referred to as The Wachowskis.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    Ohh, okay.
    I wasn't paying enough attention during the graveyard scene, apparently. That clears things up a bunch, thanks!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Me and the wife got up to episode 7 over the weekend and almost stayed up way to late to continue watching it.

I was hooked from the first moments but my wife didn't warm up to it until episode 4 where she fell in love with it as much as I am.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I've warmed up to the show considerably and intend to finish the whole thing.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The kick in episode 11.

Best kick in television or best kick?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    Those baby birthing scene. Oh boy. I thought they came from cabbage patches. Mind blown.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I am on episode 5.

I like this show.

So far Sun is my favorite.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Finished it tonight.

A little disappointed by the finale I hate to say.
    Sure they got away for a second but uh. . .

edit: if it was only getting one season. which I guess it's not so disappointment curtailed.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The kick in episode 11.

ep 11 and maybe 10/12?
    The entire point earlier of
    cutting to that woman was fufilling the "and hear the lamentation of their women" wasnt it? I sighed. All of that was just so weird and dumb. Sort of dumb in a good way. But still. I feel like this show has no idea what it is doing.

The fireworks? Why did they join him on the boat? The bus driver was far from a feeling of elated joy, being fearful and scared of the journey the next day. I reacted with "maybe cop is sad/fearful" but I dont think thats it either.

It feels like its trying to hard to be tongue and cheek about action and it doesnt work for me. I have one episode left.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I am a cisgendered heterosexual Christian Male.

Episode 6:
    I'll.....I'll be in my bunk

Transporter on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The kick in episode 11.

ep 11 and maybe 10/12?
    The entire point earlier of
    cutting to that woman was fufilling the "and hear the lamentation of their women" wasnt it? I sighed. All of that was just so weird and dumb. Sort of dumb in a good way. But still. I feel like this show has no idea what it is doing.

The fireworks? Why did they join him on the boat? The bus driver was far from a feeling of elated joy, being fearful and scared of the journey the next day. I reacted with "maybe cop is sad/fearful" but I dont think thats it either.

It feels like its trying to hard to be tongue and cheek about action and it doesnt work for me. I have one episode left.

Fireworks:
    Capheus and Sun were struggling with letting down their respective parents. Capheus had decided not to work for the drug lord anymore, and Sun realized that her freedom depended on ruining her father and brother. They both needed the feeling of togetherness with a parent, and that's what Will was having with his dad right then. Sometimes science is more art than science.

Just finished the series.
    Glad that Kala started pulling her own weight in the cluster.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I just hit episode 6.

Uhhh...

Wow.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I just hit episode 6.

Uhhh...

Wow.

There's a pretty great call-back to that in the last episode, too. Episode 6
    Poor Capheus didn't get to join in, all he had was his love for Jean Claude.

I thought it was interesting that the other genetically male Sensates joined Lito with Hernando, but none of them joined Nomi with Amanita. Guess Nomi isn't super into sharing... Well, she does a lot of Sharing, but... argh, you know what I mean.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Everyone else has much more interes
    I just hit episode 6.

Uhhh...

Wow.

I thought it was interesting that the other genetically male Sensates joined Lito with Hernando, but none of them joined Nomi with Amanita. Guess Nomi isn't super into sharing... Well, she does a lot of Sharing, but... argh, you know what I mean.
    There's actually small glimpse of Will-Amanita action around 15;00 time left.
    I honestly watched it again just to prove you wrong. Absolutely no other reason! :wink:

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    I thought in that scene in 6
    They were all there to a greater or lesser extent. Nomi and Amanita I don't think showed up in the group stuff much, but it was certainly happening at the same time. I think Kala had some uncomfortable moments, and just after it cut to Capheus watching Jean Claude splashing and grunting a lot and he was shifting a little awkwardly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Related:
    Will and Lito "meeting"directly for the first time in the last episode was funny.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jammu wrote: »
    Everyone else has much more interes
    I just hit episode 6.

Uhhh...

Wow.

There's actually small glimpse of Will-Amanita action around 15;00 time left.
    I honestly watched it again just to prove you wrong. Absolutely no other reason! :wink:

Ope, you're right.

Oh, and whoever it was asking bout Dr. Who companions (cross-related to Penny Dreadful, I guess)
    Billie Piper did Secret Diary of a Call Girl in 2007, so she's no stranger to nudity

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am towards the end of episode 8.
    NOOOOO! NOT THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ROMANCE IN THE SHOW! NOT MY GAY BOYS!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I am towards the end of episode 8.
    NOOOOO! NOT THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ROMANCE IN THE SHOW! NOT MY GAY BOYS!
    I could argue that I think Nomi & Neets are the most beautiful, but Hernando & Lito (or, more specifically, Hernando, Lito, & Daniela taking pictures) is pretty amazing.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I feel like everyone is handling this series with kid gloves because of how well it portrayed the LGBT experience. Yeah, it did that well.

But man does the series have pacing issues combined with some wonky dialogue and some really massive plot stuff like:
    Why hasnt a cluster taken out Whispers yet? Yeah, he can see and know what you are doing. But so can the clusters. Plus the dude puts himself literally right in the middle of danger. The guy isn't Agent Smith.

Its a good show. But it is far from great at this point, imo. I can see the potential and am eagerly awaiting next season. This entire season felt like a prologue, though. 12 episodes of Prologue is too much. They could have had the same level of character development in half the time, I think.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I'm handling it with kid gloves because the gay characters are hot and I'm shallow.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I feel like everyone is handling this series with kid gloves because of how well it portrayed the LGBT experience. Yeah, it did that well.

But man does the series have pacing issues combined with some wonky dialogue and some really massive plot stuff like:
    Why hasnt a cluster taken out Whispers yet? Yeah, he can see and know what you are doing. But so can the clusters. Plus the dude puts himself literally right in the middle of danger. The guy isn't Agent Smith.

Its a good show. But it is far from great at this point, imo. I can see the potential and am eagerly awaiting next season. This entire season felt like a prologue, though. 12 episodes of Prologue is too much. They could have had the same level of character development in half the time, I think.

Probably because
    He's in charge in a well funded and powerful multinational organization?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Probably because
    He's in charge in a well funded and powerful multinational organization?
    That doesn't matter, really. A cluster should be able to know everything Whispers knows/thinks but Whispers can't know everything about a cluster because:

He can only connect with people who he's looked in the eyes. By design, clusters are then more powerful than he will ever be. One person in the cluster can know everything Whispers knows and is thinking. That person can then relay that info to the rest of the cluster and the cluster can the counter anything Whispers plans on doing. In addition, they could strike wherever he's not whenever they want.

In fact, our cluster is in the best situation to deal with Whispers. And I'm guessing that's what we'll see next season.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I was in the same graduating class as Brian J Smith (he just went by BJ back then) and then went to the same community college as him afterward before moving on to another university.

So this is a little weird to me. What have I done with my life?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I feel like everyone is handling this series with kid gloves because of how well it portrayed the LGBT experience.

Maybe you shouldn't!

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying the show, but holy shit...
    I can't remember if it's episode 4 or 5, but did we need a 5 minute sex scene between a bunch of the sensates? Kinda gratuitous and I'm by no means a prude.

Also, why a two minute long opening credits?

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Man, Episode 4

I also really like some of the non-Sensates. Daniela and Hernando are amazing, and of course Neets... is it wrong that I'm kind of pissed at Wolfgang (Episode 5)
    for interrupting Kala's wedding? Her fiance seems kinda awesome.

I'm sure he's nice, but she's not in love with him and not into the idea of arranged marriages.

• Options
    I'm just a little disappointed this show is as much a butt tease as other shows that include gay characters. All this lesbian and straight sex, and the gay guys barely get to kissing before an interruption/scene change.

• Options
    MKR wrote: »
    I'm just a little disappointed this show is as much a butt tease as other shows that include gay characters. All this lesbian and straight sex, and the gay guys barely get to kissing before an interruption/scene change.

I think you are forgetting a crucial flashback that Lito had
    I feel like everyone is handling this series with kid gloves because of how well it portrayed the LGBT experience.

Maybe you shouldn't!

I'm not? Read the rest of my post!