As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Halo: Spartan Strike is now out on Windows devices, Steam, and iDevices.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Xbox release since the original Spartan Assault was decent fun. And the top-down view gives me Halo Wars vibes.

I'm only interested if they took out the complete bullshit "pay actual money for the power weapons" Freemium garbage this time.

I believe they actually did!

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/4-21-15-halo-the-master-chief-collection-update-notes
    Additionally, we’re excited about the progress of the Relic multiplayer map remake and the Campaign for Halo 3: ODST, both of which are on track to release within Halo: The Master Chief Collection next month with our next content update.

ODST and Relic next month. Yay! Both are looking nice.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/4-21-15-halo-the-master-chief-collection-update-notes
    Additionally, we’re excited about the progress of the Relic multiplayer map remake and the Campaign for Halo 3: ODST, both of which are on track to release within Halo: The Master Chief Collection next month with our next content update.

Hmm...ODST is being added in? I wonder if that means that there's a chance (even a slim one) that Reach will make its way to MCC...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    They could easily* do Reach as they've already ported 4 which was based on Reach's engine.

*probably not that simple but dammit it should be

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Which map was Relic again?

newSig.jpg
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

Any word on how much ODST is going to be for those who didn't play the game before it was totally completely fixed and working perfectly when they announced people getting it?

No I don't.
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Xbox release since the original Spartan Assault was decent fun. And the top-down view gives me Halo Wars vibes.

I'm only interested if they took out the complete bullshit "pay actual money for the power weapons" Freemium garbage this time.

Couldn't you buy the power weapons with credits earned from playing missions?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I think that was added in later. I seem to remember playing it at release on my phone and seeing that one of the three power weapons you could use credits on, but the other two required you open your wallet.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    In case anyone was wondering, multiplayer in MCC is still garbage.

Parties keep on splitting and I just spent most of a match stuck in an un-unpauseable pause menu. And that's on top of the numerous QoL issues the game still has.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    In case anyone was wondering, multiplayer in MCC is still garbage.

Parties keep on splitting and I just spent most of a match stuck in an un-unpauseable pause menu. And that's on top of the numerous QoL issues the game still has.

yep sooo many issues yet to fix

there's was a brief golden age for me after the big patch they promised would actually fix everything where it only took 5 minutes to find a BTB game instead of never ever finding one and even then there were constant disconnects and stupid unbalanced team numbers.

and now I'm back to only ever being able to find team slayer games which crash half the time or end up as 4v2 or something stupid

• pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    I've been getting into games pretty consistantly now. I play mostly H2A or Team Slayer.

Erlkönig wrote: »

I think that was added in later. I seem to remember playing it at release on my phone and seeing that one of the three power weapons you could use credits on, but the other two required you open your wallet.

Just checked it out. Yeah, you're right. They changed it a month after launch. (You can just look up the wiki article for this information, don't feel like sourcing atm. :P)

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Huh. So MCC doesn't even allow you to hook up Xbox Ones together in a LAN, like the 360 does?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Bursar wrote: »
    Huh. So MCC doesn't even allow you to hook up Xbox Ones together in a LAN, like the 360 does?

Very few next gen games support LAN, it's pretty shitty really.

• jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The Master Chief's living SPARTAN-II companions, Blue Team (Fred-104, Kelly-087, Linda-058), will be in Halo 5:
    7kc5mPI.jpg

Locke has a team of his own:
    NYfFw3F.jpg

Rumor has it that one member of Spartan Locke's team is
    Gunnery Sergeant Edward Buck, a freshly minted member of the SPARTAN-IV family, as of Halo: New Blood. I'll let you all guess which one he'd be in the picture.

Images (which happen to be cropped at a perfect 1920x1080 for your wallpapering enjoyment) in the first two spoilers. Actual possible spoiler in the third.

jerichotwofour on
    PSN: ZeroFourThree (PS3, PS4) | XBL: JerichoTwoFour (360, XB1)
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Oh man I really hope that rumour is true

Four on each team? I really hope the other Spartans will be the co-op characters, like how Halo 3 had the arbiter as player two and the blue and red elites as three and four.

Seeing blue team gets me genuinely excited for Halo 5.

As for Locke's group...
    Buck! Yay! I hear the other two are Romeo and Dare, which would be awesome.

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sorry, co-op won't go live until around July 2016.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Oh man, this needs to come to PC so bad :(

I just got my ODST download code!

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just got my ODST download code!
    Kinda wish they extended the date on getting it for free since the game still kinda doesn't work.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
    Also... is there Firefight?

ODST still looks great, aside from some fugly faces. The last time I played this was on a CRT so seeing that darker areas in HD gives it a bit more clarity. I didn't have to use VISR the whole time to see.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Also... is there Firefight?

No, 343's war against the humans Firefight mode continues.

ODST is so great! My favorite Halo game varies with the day of the week between CE, 3, and ODST, and today it's definitely ODST.

I ended up playing through the whole game in one sitting, solo, on legendary, while collecting all of the audio logs. Patrolling the Mombasa Streets on legendary, alone, scouring for all of the logs is Halo's "combat puzzle" at its finest. The player has to scavenge all of their weapons, so it's easy to end up with some unenviable weapon combinations against tough combinations of enemies, requiring creativity and a bit of desperation to push through. And there are many occasions where the best way through an encounter is to carefully sneak past it.

The loot caches that appear as the player collect more audio logs are an interesting nuance. For a while the player has very little in the way of weaponry to rely on. Maybe a lucky beam rifle pulled off the still-warm corpse of a jackal. The sniper rifles that begin to appear in loot caches are godsends, especially as the patrols beef up through the night. Near the end some of the loot caches contain rocket launchers, which are cumbersome to lug around, but I was so glad I did when I ran into a pair of hunters.

It was a very cool experience to get through the game while unlocking all of the audio logs at the same time. The tough gameplay meshes very well with the dark, lonely atmosphere. It's a shame that the game can only be played like that once, since audio logs are saved per-profile (or at least they were in the original).

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I have to admit I'm surprised to see my ODST code show up. Figured they were too busy trying to fix this monstrosity. Because of this MCC fiasco, I've pretty much resolved to never pre-order a game again. Ill buy on day one, but no more pre-orders

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    ODST is so great! My favorite Halo game varies with the day of the week between CE, 3, and ODST, and today it's definitely ODST.

I ended up playing through the whole game in one sitting, solo, on legendary, while collecting all of the audio logs. Patrolling the Mombasa Streets on legendary, alone, scouring for all of the logs is Halo's "combat puzzle" at its finest. The player has to scavenge all of their weapons, so it's easy to end up with some unenviable weapon combinations against tough combinations of enemies, requiring creativity and a bit of desperation to push through. And there are many occasions where the best way through an encounter is to carefully sneak past it.

The loot caches that appear as the player collect more audio logs are an interesting nuance. For a while the player has very little in the way of weaponry to rely on. Maybe a lucky beam rifle pulled off the still-warm corpse of a jackal. The sniper rifles that begin to appear in loot caches are godsends, especially as the patrols beef up through the night. Near the end some of the loot caches contain rocket launchers, which are cumbersome to lug around, but I was so glad I did when I ran into a pair of hunters.

It was a very cool experience to get through the game while unlocking all of the audio logs at the same time. The tough gameplay meshes very well with the dark, lonely atmosphere. It's a shame that the game can only be played like that once, since audio logs are saved per-profile (or at least they were in the original).

Far and away my favorite Halo. I never played Legendary solo but sneaking around by yourself with VISR up felt incredible fresh coming from being Master Chief for three games.

Plus the payoff of the Brute cutscene near the end.

Such a good love letter to regular humans.

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I feel like an idiot. I have ODST downloaded and installed, but I don't see it anywhere in the game menu. Still shows Halo 1-4, but no section for ODST.

EDIT: ...this never happened. Nope. Always knew it was in a submenu for Halo 3. /backsawayslowly

Raynaga on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Anyone paying attention to the Hunt the Truth thing going on? It's pretty entertaining and is well made.

http://huntthetruth.tumblr.com/

edited June 2015
    Free ODST code for MCC:
    MY7TF-H6MPH-73RTV-M6CMH-YGK6Z

Local H Jay on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    That guy's (I forgot his name) accent makes him saying "memories" sound like "mammaries", and now you can't un-hear it either.

Yay, Buck!

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Yay Kazuma Jinnouchi going apeshit in the background! Loved his work in Halo 4.
    That guy's (I forgot his name) accent makes him saying "memories" sound like "mammaries", and now you can't un-hear it either.

goddamn you

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So the Game Informer article came out and said:

-No split-screen co-op (booo)
    -BUT you don't need XBL Gold for online co-op (huh interesting)
    -And all the DLC maps will be free (shocking actually)

Today, the guy who was interviewed had to release a shameful statement that uhh actually you DO need Gold for co-op, so sorry for fucking up your cover story, Game Informer.

What is WRONG with 343? Why can't they stop putting their feet in their mouth?

Also, Buck is a Spartan 4 now and all the S2's trapped from Ghosts of Onyx are now supporting Chief?? Wtf is even happening

Also, Buck is a Spartan 4 now and all the S2's trapped from Ghosts of Onyx are now supporting Chief?? Wtf is even happening

Awesome things. The story might actually be good this time!

It's... interesting. We'll see. I want it to be good but Halo 4 was almost the definition of 'meh'.