As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Movies] This thread was punched into oblivion, post in the new one

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited February 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
After years of inexplicably sitting back and letting Marvel hog the spotlight, Warner Bros. and DC are finally making a theatrical universe of their own. These movies include:

Man of Steel. We've already seen this one, with Henry Cavill going on a quest for self, encountering a few surviving Kryptonians and causing billions of dollars in damage. Cavill is coming back for...

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. He'll be joined by Ben Affleck as Batman and Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. Here's the official synopsis:
Fearing the actions of a god-like Super Hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s "most revered, modern-day savior," while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.

The common threat that Supes and Bats will punch together is heavily rumored to be
Doomsday.

Also the entire Justice League was confirmed to be in the movie practically at the same time the flick was announced. It's being helmed by Zack Snyder, the same person who did MoS, for better or worse. Next up is...

Suicide Squad. Just like in the comics, Amanda Waller gathers baddies Deadshot (Will Smith, no less), Rick Flag, Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, Enchantress, Katana, Slipknot, Killer Croc and El Diablo, and forces them to go on a dangerous government mission. It will involve Jared Leto's heavily tattooed Joker and a massively spoiled guest hero pretty much everyone already guessed.

After that is:

Wonder Woman
Justice League Part One
The Flash
Aquaman
Shazam
Justice League Part Two
Cyborg
Green Lantern

Will DC's theatrical world-building be as successful as Marvel's?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Hahaha. No.

But we can all rest assured that the attempt will have an epic shitload of grim.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Obligatory Batman vs Superman trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfUnkBfdZ4

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Nope. Not any time soon. But I hope they one day get their act together.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Hahaha. No.

But we can all rest assured that the attempt will have an epic shitload of grim.

Kind of like the public's reaction to most news from DC. Lots of sunshine and rainbows.

I'm hoping they turn it around just because it'd be a nice story if they did. Someone would be hailed as a hero if they managed that. Like guiding the Cubs to a World Series title or something.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If BvS ends up being a good movie I will be thrilled. I would love for that to be the case.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

Hahaha. No.

Kind of like the public's reaction to most news from DC. Lots of sunshine and rainbows.

I'm hoping they turn it around just because it'd be a nice story if they did. Someone would be hailed as a hero if they managed that. Like guiding the Cubs to a World Series title or something.

Odds are they'll turn it around at some point before the heat death of the universe -- execs come and go, and eventually one will figure out there are other elements to a successful movie than several metric tons of grimdark.

But even if the worldwide audience somehow revolts against Bats v Supes, Snyder's Justice League will be too far along to be fixed.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to a negotiator style reveal trailer later where it batman is all "Now you have to deal with both of us."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

Hahaha. No.

Odds are they'll turn it around at some point before the heat death of the universe -- execs come and go, and eventually one will figure out there are other elements to a successful movie than several metric tons of grimdark.

But even if the worldwide audience somehow revolts against Bats v Supes, Snyder's Justice League will be too far along to be fixed.

Execs are the symptom, WB's corporate culture is the problem and that'll only get fixed if the most powerful leaders in the company/companies get replaced and take years restructuring the work culture into a similar state like Disney has.

Hahaha. No.

Execs are the symptom, WB's corporate culture is the problem and that'll only get fixed if the most powerful leaders in the company/companies get replaced and take years restructuring the work culture into a similar state like Disney has.

I'm a little hopeful that DC Comics' Convergence event (aka "We realize we kinda fucked up with New 52") is bringing the realization that "realistic" and "adult" =/= "joyless" and "grimdark." And then that'll trickle up to the rest of WB.

Then again that's assuming the post-Convergence comics are less grimdark, and that the execs are open to blindingly obvious lessons.

Hahaha. No.

I'm a little hopeful that DC Comics' Convergence event (aka "We realize we kinda fucked up with New 52") is bringing the realization that "realistic" and "adult" =/= "joyless" and "grimdark." And then that'll trickle up to the rest of WB.

Then again that's assuming the post-Convergence comics are less grimdark, and that the execs are open to blindingly obvious lessons.

I doubt that'd effect anything upward. It's a miracle that happened at all, it remains to be seen how long this will last. :(

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I have hope for Aquaman.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I have hope for Aquaman.

Is that hope due to the fact that the movie is Tabula Rasa?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Hahaha. No.

I don't mind if the plots are grimdark so long as they fix the characters. They've been doing everything possible to make Harley Quinn completely unlikable in the comics, for example, trying to make her character more violent and confused. 'Joyless' is a good word to describe her now.

https://p.dreamwidth.org/2d0283609889/abload.de/img/detectivecomicsharleyi9q44.jpg
    https://p.dreamwidth.org/dacff880c203/abload.de/img/detectivecomicsharley85rnu.jpg
    https://p.dreamwidth.org/6449f821cbdc/abload.de/img/detectivecomicsharleyhsqe6.jpg

And then I see this over in the cartoon thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpu6yPAFHrs

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Hahaha. No.

I don't mind if the plots are grimdark so long as they fix the characters. They've been doing everything possible to make Harley Quinn completely unlikable in the comics, for example, trying to make her character more violent and confused. 'Joyless' is a good word to describe her now.

https://p.dreamwidth.org/2d0283609889/abload.de/img/detectivecomicsharleyi9q44.jpg
    https://p.dreamwidth.org/dacff880c203/abload.de/img/detectivecomicsharley85rnu.jpg
    https://p.dreamwidth.org/6449f821cbdc/abload.de/img/detectivecomicsharleyhsqe6.jpg

snip

that's as bad as darkseid getting mugged

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Ugh. I get that Sex is a component of Harley's psychosis, but having her running around in her panties with a garter belt is just tasteless.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The only time Harley Quinn should be carrying a chainsaw is if it's part of a gag.
    HarleyQuinnsuperman.jpg

Please, DC, lighten up. Let go of grimdark.

Yeah, I'm kinda losing hope for that project, even if Bruce Timm is doing it. It seems like he's actively trying to create the darkest thing possible (and went out of his way to make a Harley even worse than the one in the latest Suicide Squad), but rather than be compelling it's just unpleasant.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

I can't get very upset about the cartoon, because it's an Elseworlds where all the "heroes" are really villains. Not gonna lie though, was expecting...
    Harley's neck stitches to come undone and have her head fly across the room.

kyrcl.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The only time Harley Quinn should be carrying a chainsaw is if it's part of a gag.
    HarleyQuinnsuperman.jpg

Please, DC, lighten up. Let go of grimdark.

The pile of broken scissors on the floor is a nice touch.

Who would be the worst barber; Harley or Bugs Bunny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCULR2wO-A

kyrcl.png
    Probably off-topic, but the latest Gods and Monsters short is a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYSxN4ezhO4#t=328

Manages to do the end theme of MoS much better than MoS, and this Superman is probably meant to be a jerk.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The key to Gods and Monsters not being terrible in my mind is it isn't Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Diana that it's featuring, but other people who have taken their titles.

I thought it was a nice establishing point that
    This Superman completely ignores the people trapped on the bus. Not out of active malice, he's just prioritizing the threat over their lives.

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Ugh. I get that Sex is a component of Harley's psychosis, but having her running around in her panties with a garter belt is just tasteless.

it would be if it was sexualized in any way. As it is it's sort of reminiscent of a diaper.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You must be buying some weird speciality diapers, buddy...

Oh brilliant
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I said reminiscent of, not looking exactly like one. Please read before responding, buddy.

Greeper on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Hahaha. No.

To be fair, apparently Harley's actual book is actually kinda ridiculous.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The key to Gods and Monsters not being terrible in my mind is it isn't Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Diana that it's featuring, but other people who have taken their titles.

I thought it was a nice establishing point that
    This Superman completely ignores the people trapped on the bus. Not out of active malice, he's just prioritizing the threat over their lives.

Not to mention
    his emotional reaction at the end of it. Kal-El Supes would be bawling like a little girl after having to do something like that. Son of Zod Superman just looks up and has a sigh that basically said "God does it suck when I have to do shit like that."

Also, please tell me
    that is Amanda Waller as President at the beginning of it

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Also, please tell me
    that is President Amanda Waller at the beginning of it

Yup.
    President Amanda Waller, as well as Dr. Sivana.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sweet-Batman-v-Superman-Posters-Make-It-Pretty-Clear-Who-Hero-71947.html

A look at a couple posters for the movie. One thing the movie has me interested in is seeing how they handle the fallout from the first movie. There could be an interesting story there and I hope it turns out really good. If handled right, I'll even retract my negative thoughts on the first movie's stupid destruction. I still think it's going to be an overly grim and bloated movie with too much shoved in because of universe building, but there is a chance it could come out a great movie.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So, the sole thing I know about this movie (other than what my comic-reading friend told me, that it's a follow-up to the previous Superman film and features the Batman from an animated movie he convinced me to watch) is that Superman, at least in the trailer, is shown holding the command/service module fairing from a Soyuz FG rocket. Presumably, he did not just catch the discarded fairing itself but that whole section (as the grate-like wings are not extended, which happens shortly after launch). So Superman was not just catching rocket debris, but saving some cosmonauts (and presumably at least one American astronaut, as this is the system Americans use to board the ISS presently).

cLbcBog.png

I'm pretty sure that they botched the scale somewhat, or that Superman is +10 feet tall in this incarnation. Still super interesting for a spaceflight geek like myself. When I shared this with a friend, he pointed out, "So Superman could save a Russian spacecraft, but he couldn't save the Columbia? You know FOX News is gonna' have a field day with that."

Anyway, continue on.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to add--The whole modern Soyuz family is famous for two things primarily: it's unrivaled cheapness and its unrivaled safety (for example, it has an escape tower, which the Saturn V launches had but the shuttle lacked, regrettably). Assuming the film did its research, some sort of catastrophic failure must have happened (the first in the history of the Soyuz FG), or the tower (which is partially visible but again, way smaller than it should be) would have pulled the crew section to safety and discarded that fairing. I'm sure it'll only be in the film for a few seconds, if that, but it seems like Superman literally caught the section as the rocket exploded on the launchpad (which would be a first in the ~50 years the Soyuz system's been in use, both incidents of loss of human life with the Soyuz did not involve the booster/launch phase).

Or he destroyed it himself by punching the shit out of the lower stages and saved the crew. DUM DUM DUMMM.

Synthesis on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sweet-Batman-v-Superman-Posters-Make-It-Pretty-Clear-Who-Hero-71947.html

A look at a couple posters for the movie. One thing the movie has me interested in is seeing how they handle the fallout from the first movie. There could be an interesting story there and I hope it turns out really good. If handled right, I'll even retract my negative thoughts on the first movie's stupid destruction. I still think it's going to be an overly grim and bloated movie with too much shoved in because of universe building, but there is a chance it could come out a great movie.

subtle

Lh96QHG.png
    Eh, about what I'd expect from the same director that had a scene that almost literally made Superman into Jesus.

And then did diddly-shit with it.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Those do not look like official posters. The first one looks like it's a still from MoS. The second one just uses a promotional image of Batman. And are they using the font from 300 on some of those slogans?

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Hahaha. No.

I doubt that'd effect anything upward. It's a miracle that happened at all, it remains to be seen how long this will last. :(

DC Comics biggest problem now that they've moved away from the New 52 is that their business decisions have seriously limited their talent pool. The same guys who have been doing grim and gritty since the 90s are still writing their books, because the newer talent wants to work for Marvel or put out their own IPs through Image. Even when they get someone new and interesting like Jeff Lemire, they have trouble keeping them

Part of this is the DC insistence on a strict house style, which limits the ability of artists and writers to build their own brand. They've relaxed this very recently, but a lot of the damage has been done. Another major factor is that they've stripped the creator-owned contracts from Vertigo. Works with that imprint used to be the carrot DC used to get hot new creators to work for them, but the WB execs were apparently furious that DC was allowing IP to be created that the company did now own.

Marvel isn't much better with IP ownership, but they do allow their writers and artists to work for the movie side (DC doesn't have the pull in Warners to get this to happen) and encourage creators to use their own style in writing and drawing the books. That allows hot creators to build a connection between their independent works and Marvel jobs that just doesn't happen at DC.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Probably off-topic, but the latest Gods and Monsters short is a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYSxN4ezhO4#t=328

Manages to do the end theme of MoS much better than MoS, and this Superman is probably meant to be a jerk.

Had a serious "what the shit" moment before I found out that that isn't the standard Superman.

But the guy still seems Superman-grade stupid, though. Maybe at least try to fly the problem out into the middle of the ocean before vaporizing its head?

On the other hand, given the guy's lineage, vaporizing everything with eye lasers probably is the way he solves every problem.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    On the other hand, given the guy's lineage, vaporizing everything with eye lasers probably is the way he solves every problem.
    He had an epiphany while he was in the middle of intensely punching something.

edited June 2015
    New photos of Suicide Squad's Joker. Looks like the tats are still in. Also, Leto describes his Joker as "almost Shakespearian." Riiiiiiight.

Also, looks like a heavily-tattooed Common (what's up with this flick and tats?) is in it too as... somebody.

cloudeagle on
    ca37c531a6ff97d9b1e8897ca53027d83874cf64.jpg

Looks like Marilyn Manson cosplaying Alex Mercer.

kyrcl.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Someone did leak some audio last night. Sounds like he's really trying too hard to mimic Ledger but mix in some Hamill.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me