As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sense8: Season 2 is out

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    I'm just a little disappointed this show is as much a butt tease as other shows that include gay characters. All this lesbian and straight sex, and the gay guys barely get to kissing before an interruption/scene change.

Uhm, wait till the episode I'm talking about.

I don't even remember much straight sex at all. It's mostly gay/lesbian.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I feel like everyone is handling this series with kid gloves because of how well it portrayed the LGBT experience. Yeah, it did that well.

But man does the series have pacing issues combined with some wonky dialogue and some really massive plot stuff like:
    Why hasnt a cluster taken out Whispers yet? Yeah, he can see and know what you are doing. But so can the clusters. Plus the dude puts himself literally right in the middle of danger. The guy isn't Agent Smith.

Its a good show. But it is far from great at this point, imo. I can see the potential and am eagerly awaiting next season. This entire season felt like a prologue, though. 12 episodes of Prologue is too much. They could have had the same level of character development in half the time, I think.

Probably because
    He's in charge in a well funded and powerful multinational organization?
    That doesn't matter, really. A cluster should be able to know everything Whispers knows/thinks but Whispers can't know everything about a cluster because:

He can only connect with people who he's looked in the eyes. By design, clusters are then more powerful than he will ever be. One person in the cluster can know everything Whispers knows and is thinking. That person can then relay that info to the rest of the cluster and the cluster can the counter anything Whispers plans on doing. In addition, they could strike wherever he's not whenever they want.

In fact, our cluster is in the best situation to deal with Whispers. And I'm guessing that's what we'll see next season.
    We only know basic things that Sensates can do, but Whispers seems to have advanced tricks up his sleeve. Remember how he mind-controlled that Lobotomized Sensate? He could have other talents we haven't seen yet.

I just hope we don't get ridiculous power upgrades between seasons, like happened in the Matrix franchise.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Man, Episode 4

I also really like some of the non-Sensates. Daniela and Hernando are amazing, and of course Neets... is it wrong that I'm kind of pissed at Wolfgang (Episode 5)
    for interrupting Kala's wedding? Her fiance seems kinda awesome.

I'm sure he's nice, but she's not in love with him and not into the idea of arranged marriages.
    It actually wasn't an arranged marriage. He just really likes her, and she didn't feel like she could say no because everyone was always talking about how awesome he was.

steam_sig.png
    I feel like everyone is handling this series with kid gloves because of how well it portrayed the LGBT experience. Yeah, it did that well.

But man does the series have pacing issues combined with some wonky dialogue and some really massive plot stuff like:
    Why hasnt a cluster taken out Whispers yet? Yeah, he can see and know what you are doing. But so can the clusters. Plus the dude puts himself literally right in the middle of danger. The guy isn't Agent Smith.

Its a good show. But it is far from great at this point, imo. I can see the potential and am eagerly awaiting next season. This entire season felt like a prologue, though. 12 episodes of Prologue is too much. They could have had the same level of character development in half the time, I think.

Probably because
    That doesn't matter, really. A cluster should be able to know everything Whispers knows/thinks but Whispers can't know everything about a cluster because:

He can only connect with people who he's looked in the eyes. By design, clusters are then more powerful than he will ever be. One person in the cluster can know everything Whispers knows and is thinking. That person can then relay that info to the rest of the cluster and the cluster can the counter anything Whispers plans on doing. In addition, they could strike wherever he's not whenever they want.

In fact, our cluster is in the best situation to deal with Whispers. And I'm guessing that's what we'll see next season.
    They can't just mine his mind. It seems like so far all they can share is sensory stuff, "speech", and maybe some surface thoughts, like names. That's why they have all these long heartfelt conversations, because they still have to explicitly share stuff.

Whispers probably has a fair amount of mastery of the skill, as well as knowledge of how it works neurologically, hence how after the surgery he's able to control a sensate's body who wasn't part of his cluster.

steam_sig.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Probably because

They can't just mine his mind. It seems like so far all they can share is sensory stuff, "speech", and maybe some surface thoughts, like names. That's why they have all these long heartfelt conversations, because they still have to explicitly share stuff.

Whispers probably has a fair amount of mastery of the skill, as well as knowledge of how it works neurologically, hence how after the surgery he's able to control a sensate's body who wasn't part of his cluster.

k, then they know where he is and he knows where one person is (which honestly just put that person in a room with no windows and voila)

cluster has the massive upperhand.

Probably because

k, then they know where he is and he knows where one person is (which honestly just put that person in a room with no windows and voila)

I forget if it was Jonas or Yrsa who said it, but I think it was brought up, that if he can get his hands on one member of cluster, he's able to (handwavey science) the psycellium linking them to track and other bad stuff the rest.

steam_sig.png
    Man, Episode 4

I also really like some of the non-Sensates. Daniela and Hernando are amazing, and of course Neets... is it wrong that I'm kind of pissed at Wolfgang (Episode 5)

I'm sure he's nice, but she's not in love with him and not into the idea of arranged marriages.
    It actually wasn't an arranged marriage. He just really likes her, and she didn't feel like she could say no because everyone was always talking about how awesome he was.

Well, my main point stands.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I was in the same graduating class as Brian J Smith (he just went by BJ back then) and then went to the same community college as him afterward before moving on to another university.

So this is a little weird to me. What have I done with my life?

This is me whenever people mention Colbie Smulders in the Marvel thread.

Caedwyr on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    I'm just a little disappointed this show is as much a butt tease as other shows that include gay characters. All this lesbian and straight sex, and the gay guys barely get to kissing before an interruption/scene change.

If nothing else, I am pleased at the state of the world when someone complains about too much of a MTF transexual's lesbian love scene, with no other qualifiers. But seriously, you cannot possibly suggest that this show is a "butt tease" about gay sex after the halfway point.

Anyway, fuck kid gloves. I didn't turn stupid just because I like the show's politics. The show does seem like it meanders some at first, but with eight settings and eight leads, it's going to no matter what.
    The fear they have of Whispers is extremely valid; the guy has master-level control over his powers, tons of money, and the cooperation of governments. Suggesting that they just lock up Will in a room with no windows and never let him go outside conscious is a fucking monstrous thing to do (here's your reward for saving the cheerleader DJ, you get perpetual isolation and solitude); it's not something you just suggest as a plan to game Whispers.

This show is a series of build-ups and payoffs that personally really hit home for me. I deal with guys like the Superpower gang all the time (one just got murdered outside my work sunday night). I have felt like I was letting down my parents, like Kala is afraid to. I long to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women, like Wolfgang.

But, if you're not interested in the payoffs, by all means, don't sit through the build-ups.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Man, Episode 4

Yeah. Though I feel terrible for both of them.
    I'm up to six but so far the groom seems like an absolutely wonderful person. It's a really unfortunate shame that she's having so much pressure put on her. Otherwise she never would have agreed to the marriage in the first place.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Probably because

I'm not sure if it has been addresed but you missed some plot points in your observation.
    Whisper only needs to know one of them to know what they are all doing. So Whispers has helicopters at his command. Is anyone in the cluster a pilot? He has a private army. Does anyone in the cluster? His corporation could have any of them out on the list of known terrorist. Not to mention send assassins or law enforcement to subdue them all on sight. Sure a sensate can accomplish a lot more but their resources are limits. Which is my complaint about the ending because uh. they sure seem fucked. [/spoilered]

steam_sig.png
    Quid wrote: »
    Man, Episode 4

I'm up to six but so far the groom seems like an absolutely wonderful person. It's a really unfortunate shame that she's having so much pressure put on her. Otherwise she never would have agreed to the marriage in the first place.

I think the pressure from her friends and family would've made her do it even if he was completely mediocre. Welcome to India.

Man, Episode 4

I think the pressure from her friends and family would've made her do it even if he was completely mediocre. Welcome to India.

I'm familiar with the culture but her parents don't strike me as the type. They certainly hold traditional values but also seem more than happy to let their daughter be her own person.

If they were that concerned about who she was marrying they would have been pushing for someone they picked out.

I mean, he is a wealthy heir, so even if he were otherwise a butt he'd have that going for him, but her parents also were super excited that their daughter got a degree in (chemistry? Biochem?) so yeah, I think if they arranged a marriage, they'd probably try and get her input and stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Ending discussion
    I got the strong impression that Whispers only has access to Will. Sayid was pretty clear that it took eye to eye contact to visit someone outside your pod, which is why he can only talk to Will and Nomi. Will can be a link to the rest of the pod, but only indirectly. If he doesn't know where he is, he can't give up that info. He can theoretically give up the locations of the others if they tell him, but I think that's just a matter of self-control and not some kind of mind whammy from Whispers. Remember that Whispers couldn't see both Abigail and Sayid at the same time, even though he was linked to both.

As long as Will is the primary actor, Whispers is a huge threat. Luckily, the rest of the group is probably capable of dealing with him while WIll is sedated or confined. I would guess that this is going to be a major thrust of the first few episodes of next season.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Probably because

Like, one of the first things they explain is that sharing with someone is letting them in and is a skills that is gained.

The idea that a large bad who has been doing a thing for decades wouldn't have an opposite skill, to not share to take, is simply outside the realm of science fiction.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Lito's relationship is just the sweetest thing.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Finished it today.

I thought it was a ton of fun. I liked the idea and I feel they are setting up for some really cool stuff next season.

Also I loved almost all the relationships.

Relationship stuff
    Oh man so cute. Lito and Hernando and Dani are just amazing! I love watching them all on screen at once.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Finished it today.

I thought it was a ton of fun. I liked the idea and I feel they are setting up for some really cool stuff next season.

Relationship stuff
    Oh man so cute. Lito and Hernando and Dani are just amazing! I love watching them all on screen at once.

Lito/Hernando/Daniela
    I loved how Lito cornered her to break it off, and the first thing she says is, "I'm sorry, I just love gay porn..." and Lito's all, "No, really, we didn't mind you watching, it's not that..." Just the idea that there's some super-functional group of people out there where sex isn't their big hang-up was refreshing.

I have a friend like Daniela, she just can't get enough of watching guys together. Her stumbling into that situation would be like a dream come true.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I have finished this. It was a hot mess.

Visually stunning with a great deal of emotional pull, but its plot often feels burdened by the overarching sci-fi conspiracy shit and a desire to put almost every character in some kind of dire action-oriented circumstance in order to dynamically illustrate sensate interaction. (Kala being the exception, more or less.)

Random Spoilerish Observation:
    Will's "mysterious" childhood encounter with Sarah Whoever and Dr. Lobotomy is a prime example of some of the random shit that should have been scaled back or completely excised.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    If there is one thing that JMS is good at is developing multi season arcs. I have a feeling this show is going to be a lot like Babylon 5 in that there was a planned story for 2 or 3 seasons and a general framework for more.

I am really digging the sound design. Not quite as good as Daredevil, but still powerful with a good set of cans on. The spacial sound design is something sorely lacking even in movies these days. It's nice to see an oft ignored group of artists get their way for a change.

Episode 8 action scene is what I've been waiting for. Loved it.

Episode 8 action scene is what I've been waiting for. Loved it.
    Capheus: "It worked better in the movie."

Full series:
    I'm really waiting for any of the Sensates to have anything to offer Sun besides emotional support. Right not their psychic ledger sheet is deep red in the Sun column. They better address her being in prison very early early so she can get on with murdering her brother and stop being just a martial arts vending machine for the rest of the cluster.

Capheus has a pretty solid give/receive record, though he does seem to get into fights trusting that the spirit of Jean Claude Korean Lady will bail him the fuck out. Wolfgang has received the least (though his trade with Lito is pretty memorable) and Kala has given the least.

...er I stand corrected. Riley has given the least and received the most. Her power must be Heart. Was it her that corrected Capheus, who said she was "lucky," and said that she was just "privileged?" A little heavy handed, but not untrue.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Finished it. Not the ending I expected.

Will, man.
    Helicopter stopped 50 feet in front of you. You are a trained police officer who is trained with a pistol. Step out of the vehicle, and shoot the pilot. You know he wont kill you or turn on the ambulance.

like holy shit. come on. I know you aren't superman, but come on.

We do know about whisper
    if will is far enough away, the connection doesnt work. Or was that a lie from Sayid? Whats his character name? Did they not say, I know I missed a bunch of names, except Will and Nomi because they both get said a billion times.

steam_sig.png
    Jonas

steam_sig.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Finished it today.

Relationship stuff

Lito/Hernando/Daniela
    I loved how Lito cornered her to break it off, and the first thing she says is, "I'm sorry, I just love gay porn..." and Lito's all, "No, really, we didn't mind you watching, it's not that..." Just the idea that there's some super-functional group of people out there where sex isn't their big hang-up was refreshing.

I have a friend like Daniela, she just can't get enough of watching guys together. Her stumbling into that situation would be like a dream come true.
    I was totally expecting it to be wacky hijinks to keep her from finding out, or she would get super upset and cause trouble, but she was immediately like "OMG I get to be your beard! This is awesome!"

steam_sig.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I know it's probably not the point of the show, but I like to wonder what everyone brings to the table.

Will - Police training
    Sun - Martial arts
    Nomi - Technical aptitude
    Wolfgang - Thief's skills
    Lito - Good liar
    Kala - Medical/Chemistry knowledge

Riley, and Van Damme don't seem to have much to contribute in terms of useful skills.

Although Van Damme does seem to be ship's counselor.

RT800 on
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Ending Spoiler Thoughts
    So I think, based on the scene in episode 10 during the initial Wolfgang/Lito non-sexy-time interaction, Wolfgang is the strategy/mastermind of the group and will help them come up with a genious exit strategy due to Will's connect with Whispers.

We'll see tho.

I'm still expecting a brutal season 2.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Also I don't understand the bad guy's plan.
    Like... does he just want to create his own personal zombie army or... what's goin' on there?

Also episode 12:
    How come Kala knew how to make an adrenaline cocktail to wake up Riley, but none of Whisper's doctors thought of the same thing when he was all "wake her up now."?

RT800 on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Up to episode 4. I'm really liking this so far. One thing I questioned though so far:
    They basically held Nomi against her will to perform treatment on her that she did not consent to. Is this even legal? Unless I'm totally missing something, this seemed like a huge stretch to me that a doctor and extended family could pull that crap despite her explicit intent to not receive treatment. And if that is a thing that can actually happen here in the U.S., then that's super depressing.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited June 2015
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Up to episode 4. I'm really liking this so far. One thing I questioned though so far:
    They basically held Nomi against her will to perform treatment on her that she did not consent to. Is this even legal? Unless I'm totally missing something, this seemed like a huge stretch to me that a doctor and extended family could pull that crap despite her explicit intent to not receive treatment. And if that is a thing that can actually happen here in the U.S., then that's super depressing.
    Did you not pick up on that there's a giant conspiracy and that those people holding her in the hospital are part of it? Her mother doesn't give a shit, she just wants her "crazy son" (that's in quotes for a reason, so don't anyone flip out) to start acting normal, so she's willing to believe whatever. As well, people who are mentally unstable can be held if it's to protect themselves or others.

Esh on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    It is illegal and it's not beyond belief at all that someone with money could get their adult child institutionalized by the "right" people.

That said, later episode spoilers
    It's part of a larger conspiracy.

• MrMrMeMrMrMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Van Damme drives like a boss. The only place I've seen anyone drive like an African bus driver is in Dubai with their taxi driver. He also brings a sense of wonder and reminds everyone not to take stuff for granted.

Riley seems to bring deep emotion, it feels like her skills are not useful yet, but I think she has a bit more to her than what we have seen.

Also, I don't recall any straight sex at all - it was all gay/lesbian/orgy

MrMrMe on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    MrMrMe wrote: »
    Van Damme drives like a boss. The only place I've seen anyone drive like an African bus driver is in Dubai with their taxi driver. He also brings a sense of wonder and reminds everyone not to take stuff for granted.

Riley seems to bring deep emotion, it feels like her skills are not useful yet, but I think she has a bit more to her than what we have seen.

Straight sex spoilers:
    Wolfgang and his random hook-up early on is the one example I can think of. And aren't some parts of the clusterfuck in episode 6 maybe straight?

edited June 2015
    RT800 wrote: »
    I know it's probably not the point of the show, but I like to wonder what everyone brings to the table.

Will - Police training
    Sun - Martial arts
    Nomi - Technical aptitude
    Wolfgang - Thief's skills
    Lito - Good liar
    Kala - Medical/Chemistry knowledge

Riley, and Van Damme don't seem to have much to contribute in terms of useful skills.

Although Van Damme does seem to be ship's counselor.

Van Damme is an extremely good driver. And while from what I've seen so far he's talking to the others more often, Riley's music is what helps people when they're really down.

Quid on
  • MrMrMeMrMrMe Registered User regular
    She seems to be able to pull people together much more easily than anyone else.

She seems to be the heart power ring.

Riley, Episode 4, HEART!
    I joke about her power being Heart, being The Girl of the group, but I can't deny that she's an important member of the team. The end of episode 4, where she DJs the entire cluster to "What's Up" by 4 Non-Blondes, had me in goddamn manly tears of manliness.
    The tears weren't manly.
    She picks it on her iPod at the exact same moment as it gets thrust on Wolfgang at karaoke (my impression is that it started with Wolfgang, she picked up on it, and radioed it out to everyone).

This leads to the absolutely adorable moment of Kala singing on the rooftop, and brings her and Wolfie together... I think that this is where they really fall in love. Then you got Lito whispering it in bed with Hernando & Daniela. Capheus jamming out in Van Damn. Sun dancing naked in the shower (one of her few moments of joy). And then Will is singing it when he wakes up in Nomi's hospital bed.

This latter bit is really important. Nomi was drugged off her weasel for the surgery, and there's a bunch of stuff Sensates can't do for each other when one is unconscious. So, by putting a super catchy song from 1993 that reached #14 on the Billboard Top 100 that was called by Amanita to be the "perfect soundtrack for a lobotomy," into her head, Riley may have kept Nomi just awake enough for Will to Share his cuff-picking skills with her. Then as the song is ending Nomi appears to Riley, as if in gratitude.

Riley represents the power of music to bring people together. We see this later as well. Episode 11, I think:
    By watching her dad in the orchestra (how cute were the old guys all taking X before the show?), she was able to show the entire cluster their own births. That is some seriously atavistic, primordial shit, there, and significantly deepens the scope of the science fiction elements of the show. Was she able to do that by digging into the memories of their parents with the Sensate gene? Did she simply let them remember something that their brains were too undeveloped to process yet, but was still buried in there? I don't fuckin' know, but I'd be willing to bet that anything that happens in future seasons that seems to "break the rules" like, I don't know (episode 12)
    getting Whispers out of Will's head
    will do it to a soundtrack provided by Riley.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think Dracomicron has the best idea for Riley's strength.

But I think it is more than heart.
    She is the conductor. A DJ is kind of an electronic conductor. She can pull multiple people together to feel or do one thing. She can probably coordinate the cluster around something better than any of them. Even if she does it unconsciously. The showing of the births for example. Using the 4 Non Blondes song to tie them all together more. And probably next season I can see that being her key contribution.

Also she has seen some shit. Girl may not be cursed but she seems damn close to it with a lot of her life.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    MrMrMe wrote: »

Straight sex spoilers:
    Wolfgang and his random hook-up early on is the one example I can think of. And aren't some parts of the clusterfuck in episode 6 maybe straight?
    clusterfuck is wonderfully apt.

Riley rooms with some guy and his girlfriend (Shug, Australian lady) and they have sex in the background. Kala visits accidentally and is extremely shocked

By watching her dad in the orchestra (how cute were the old guys all taking X before the show?),

I really love the music in this show, but then I'm always partial to classical piano.

Also with her dad and his colleagues
    I was worried he'd start licking his keyboard or something.
    I know nothing about X. Is this a thing people do?
    Also, did Amanita choose that name herself or is her mom that much of a hippie?

steam_sig.png