As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    The other thing that drives me nuts is the people who just want to injure other people daring to try to make a dime off crafting, or who have no creativity or forethought whatsoever and so must copy what others do.

I usually don't bother to craft gear for myself, even though I can. I'll just buy stuff as I need it as long as I'm not being gouged. But then I'll frequently encounter a situation where no one is bothering to sell nice implants or earpieces with the primary stat I need for the leveling levels I'm at.

So I have to craft it myself, and I do, and while I'm at it I say "Hey, I'll craft some extra and throw them up on the empty market, make some scratch and be nice at the same time".

A few hours after I list my stuff suddenly that level and stat is flooded with the same thing I just made, all undercutting.

I swear to god crafters just watch the market so they can attack other crafters who dare to try and sell things. If they gave a fuck about making money and keeping items on the market I NEVER WOULD HAVE EVEN LOGGED IN MY CRAFTER. They only craft in response to someone else crafting.

And I seriously hope those people get super aids and die alone.

It's okay, it's not just for crafting. Markets like SWToR's are driven by people who don't really understand basic economics.

Most people go, "HEY, someone is selling that thing I have! I want to sell too and I have a BUNCH of it but I want to do it fast!"

So the list 98 different listings at half the price of what you have been posting, which have been steadily selling at your price.

Then someone see that and says, "HEY I WANT TO UNLOAD THE THING" and posted almost the same inflated number for even less, essentially killing the market.

But that isn't even as bad as the perfect shitstorm.

"MAN I GOT ALOT OF THE THING AND NONE IS ON THE AUCTIONS, IM GONNA POST 18 OF THEM FOR 500K EACH, THERE ARE NO FLAWS IN THIS PLAN".

Those are just aspirational prices. Maybe someone will go ahead and grab one, if you're the only vendor.

If you're not, I don't understand this plan and maybe they're hoping for a mis-click.

And sometimes, they actually sell. At one point I sold a shitload of red goo for no less than 600K/stack of 99. I couldn't believe people were willing to pay that price! It was absurd!

Actually this reminds me of a genuinely shady thing that people will do on the GTN. If something is priced at say, 45,000 per piece, someone will price theirs so that it's something like 445,000, making it the highest priced item and occasionally snaring a rich misclicker with the price sort button.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Those are just aspirational prices. Maybe someone will go ahead and grab one, if you're the only vendor.

If you're not, I don't understand this plan and maybe they're hoping for a mis-click.

And sometimes, they actually sell. At one point I sold a shitload of red goo for no less than 600K/stack of 99. I couldn't believe people were willing to pay that price! It was absurd!

Actually this reminds me of a genuinely shady thing that people will do on the GTN. If something is priced at say, 45,000 per piece, someone will price theirs so that it's something like 445,000, making it the highest priced item and occasionally snaring a rich misclicker with the price sort button.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm talking about.

In my case, it was right around when Conquest became a thing, and it wasn't a one-off either. People repeatedly and deliberately paid pants-on-head crazy prices for the stuff. It was like I couldn't keep it in stock at any price!

Of course, these days it's back down below mission prices so...

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I was just looking on the GTN, and it's more like that the lowest priced item is something weird like 5,574.59 and then the highest priced version is 557,459 so that if you aren't looking too closely you get the outrageously priced one. It's very deliberate and its sleazy as hell.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Regarding cartel market items: when I used to buy packs, I'd usually get a bunch of items and end up banking them because they weren't really worth anything at the time. Then I'd forget about it entirely and come back 6 months later and notice all this stuff in my bank that, due to the packs no longer being available, are actually worth something now. Not saying that's what is going on, but there are definitely times I've listed 5 of the same "rare" item just because they were sitting in my bank for a long time.

So is it more profitable to break open the packs and individually sell the items they contain, or to sell the whole pack?

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Regarding cartel market items: when I used to buy packs, I'd usually get a bunch of items and end up banking them because they weren't really worth anything at the time. Then I'd forget about it entirely and come back 6 months later and notice all this stuff in my bank that, due to the packs no longer being available, are actually worth something now. Not saying that's what is going on, but there are definitely times I've listed 5 of the same "rare" item just because they were sitting in my bank for a long time.

So is it more profitable to break open the packs and individually sell the items they contain, or to sell the whole pack?

Last bundle of packs I got, one of the contained that unicycle thing. I sold it for 3.5m credits, and that doesn't count all the dark legionnaire and elegant duelist pieces I got that also sold for hundreds of thousands. Plus you get companion gifts which sell well and jaw junk which if you turn into the right mats, can also make you a tidy sum.

Currently I am sitting on 17m credits on my main with nothing really to spend it on.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I always bought the packs with credits so I can't make a call there, but the things that actually sell are going to be rare, while crap generic item no one wants #137 will drop like crazy. On the other hand, the price of the packs themselves are usually pretty low due to credit sellers so obviously using them as a means of gain after going on cartel coin spending sprees with stolen credit cards.

Really, though, it's going to depend on the pack. Some of them are full of worthless gear, but some have armor people actually want (what a concept!)

I think as far as the complaint about "why is no one listing the item I desperately need" goes, that problem would go away pretty quick if people could put up long-term GTN items. Like list something for X price for a year, so they didn't have to keep thinking about relisting it every time.

MyDcmbr wrote: »
    htm wrote: »

Last bundle of packs I got, one of the contained that unicycle thing. I sold it for 3.5m credits, and that doesn't count all the dark legionnaire and elegant duelist pieces I got that also sold for hundreds of thousands. Plus you get companion gifts which sell well and jaw junk which if you turn into the right mats, can also make you a tidy sum.

Currently I am sitting on 17m credits on my main with nothing really to spend it on.

It's basically a gamble. If you get one of the high-ticket items to sell, then you get millions. If none of the packs you open has any rares, then you'll sell your items for significantly less than you would have sold the pack by itself.

I usually always open them, though, but that's mostly about getting all the rep in the game.

Whereas I sit on the packs for 6 months and then sell them on. Looong investment windows suck for tying up your money though.

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I was just looking on the GTN, and it's more like that the lowest priced item is something weird like 5,574.59 and then the highest priced version is 557,459 so that if you aren't looking too closely you get the outrageously priced one. It's very deliberate and its sleazy as hell.

People seem to love the ability to screw other people over.
    To me it seems obvious that the GTN doesn't need to list any decimals, except if you want to trick people.
    Yet, when ever someone suggest that, on places like the swtor subreddit people will start giving speeches about a fool and their money. But it seems pretty pretty obvious to me, some people just want to screw other people over. It's like a game. Where they not only get the other persons credits, but also know it's because the other person made a mistake. Ha, ha ... you really fooled them!

The GTN is one of the things I don't miss about SWtOR.
    As has ben mention, stuff like
    - Not being able to list stuff for longer than two (2) days. When I know that most people don't play the game every two days, the chance of the item I want being listed the day(s) I'm online and (remember to) check for it ... slim.
    - No history. Is the reason it's listed at what (to me) seems like a crazy price, that I underestimated demand, or that the are others out there who don't check every item every day of the week to get a good feel for what the economy is like on this specific server.
    And when I want to sell something, I can't check the history to see what that item usually sells for, so I either put it out for what is my minimum (and find it re-listed at x20 the price) or I start listing it at what seems a little high, and work my way down. Which, to me, doesn't seem like what you'd want if you want a healthy market.

signed
    the guy who has filled one tab with gear boxes ... and has several tabs filled with crystals, gear, mounts, toys and weapons.
    (GB:s don't really want them, since ppl are too slow to take them out of the GB, and as has been established selling the stuff is too cumbersome.)

[edit] Crafting and Gathering can be great fun. At least if you have a working market where to sell/buy the good you want/have. Without a good market ... in the end, why even bother. (Unless I find great pleasure in trying to sucker others.)

Commodore75 on
    Whereas I sit on the packs for 6 months and then sell them on. Looong investment windows suck for tying up your money though.

I used to do that, and then they started to bring them back, and/or have a sale.
    So you'd have to sell them before BW decides to rock the market.
    I considered it not worth the bother.

Yeah. I took too long coming back and now my crime lord packs are worth...less than I paid for them.

WELP.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Any new news on the Togruta as a playable race?

Lucascraft wrote: »

Yeah, Togruta are going to be on the next patch, 3.3. That patch is already available on the PTS. I think the drop date is July 25 or something like that.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Yeah, Togruta are going to be on the next patch, 3.3. That patch is already available on the PTS. I think the drop date is July 25 or something like that.

FINALLY.

I have had Shaak-ti for literal years.

Nar Shaddaa nightlife event is back! Not only that, but the last patch seems to have restored my achievements from the previous one...except for winning the rancor. The rancor I'm riding while tabbed out typing this. ...ok?

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Nar Shaddaa nightlife event is back! Not only that, but the last patch seems to have restored my achievements from the previous one...except for winning the rancor. The rancor I'm riding while tabbed out typing this. ...ok?

In fairness, that achievement didn't even work properly during the event last year. I didn't get the achievement in the first place after winning my rancor. So they've figured out the problem with the other achievements, just not what the hell is wrong with the rancor one, is my guess.

I had it to begin with, though. It disappeared along with almost all the others.

Wait, I can win a Rancor? I just did it to get the sniper rifle to add to my collections of sniper rifles that I hope one day they will convert to small size decorations that I can hang on my wall.

Sigh...

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I had it to begin with, though. It disappeared along with almost all the others.

Weirdly, I lost the one you get for winning a certificate or one of the speeders from a kingpin machine. Winning one corrected that. And I somehow have the rancor achievement. Sooo I'm imagining that if you were to win a rancor again you'd get the achievement again, but that's just not likely (or, indeed, fair to expect). Maybe point it out to CS?
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Wait, I can win a Rancor?

Yup.

The Feeling Lucky buff approximately doubles your chances of winning anything on the Kingpin machine. You have, it is estimated, a .02% chance of winning a rancor with the Feeling Lucky buff active.

Shadowen wrote: »

Yup.

The Feeling Lucky buff approximately doubles your chances of winning anything on the Kingpin machine. You have, it is estimated, a .02% chance of winning a rancor with the Feeling Lucky buff active.

.02%? And that's doubled?

Nevermind, I don't want a Rancor that bad.

Steam
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    And it only unlocks on the char that uses it.

So yeah. Not even remotely worth it.

Astale wrote: »
    And it only unlocks on the char that uses it.

So yeah. Not even remotely worth it.

The mounts are all legacy bound, aren't they? I actually forgot...

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They may be legacy bound in such that if you get the item on one character it can be used on another, but it can only be added to one characters vehicle list

edited June 2015
    The ... let's call it "unlock token", the item you win, that you then use to get the ability to summon the mount (in this case the Rancor), that token/item is Bound to Legacy, so you can transfer it to the character you want to have the mount.

Once that character uses the token, the mount is bound to that character.
    At least that how it worked last summer.

[edit] You're welcome Geth.

Commodore75 on
    The ... let's call it "unlock token", the item you win, that you then use to get the ability to summon the mount (in this case the Rancor), that token/item is Bound to Legacy, so you can transfer it to the character you want to have the mount.

Once that character uses the token, the mount is bound to that character.
    At least that how it worked last summer.

[edit] You're welcome Geth.

Ok, that's what I thought, thanks.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Man that Kingpin Blaster pistol is sweet

swtor-kingpins-blaster-pistol-nar-shaddaa-nightlife-event-vendor.jpg

It's basically Han Solo's pistol if the prop makers had used a Colt 1903 instead of a Mauser C96

• EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Having to reinstall the game every second patch is getting pretty old but for the life of me I can't figure out why the launcher occasionally corrupts the install. The verify install doesn't work when it happens either.

I've seen a few threads on the issue but no definite fix that seems to work, anyone else have a similar problem?

Having to reinstall the game every second patch is getting pretty old but for the life of me I can't figure out why the launcher occasionally corrupts the install. The verify install doesn't work when it happens either.

I've seen a few threads on the issue but no definite fix that seems to work, anyone else have a similar problem?

swtor_miner mentioned this in a podcast (might have been the last TOROcast).
    I'm paraphrasing here . . . Bitraider (the download client the game tries to use) is pretty bad. If something else is using a file that bartered needs then it will just crap out, and not try again.
    Most common cause for this is anti virus software.
    So just disable your AV software during install. To avoid that issue. There are effaces other problems, but that seems to be the most common one with Bitraider/the launcher.

• EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    That does seem to be the most common reasoning, but it seems so random...dammit swtor I'm trying so hard to enjoy you, very lucky I can't get enough of the old republic era.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I opened a bunch of packs from the one that just hit, primarily because there were things I wanted from it that were just rare, not super rare, so I knew there was a very good chance I'd get what I wanted (and I did).

I think my "lucky" drop from the hypercrate was one of those giant cow-ox-hippo monster mount thingies. Do they sell well? It's not something I'd ever personally use but maybe I can pawn it and buy a jetpack or monocycle which I would use.

• VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    The one from Hoth? I pulled a Glacial one from a pack, and it was only going for around 500k on the low end on Ebon Hawk. Tossed it to my up-and-coming FemTrooper.

steam_sig.png
    I don't think it's a Hoth animal, 'uxibeast' is what it's called. There's only one currently on sale on Ebon Hawk right now, from a different pack. Listed for just over a million, which doesn't mean anything with nothing to compare it to.

I don't get the appeal of animal mounts so I never can tell what is going to be popular. I foolishly bound one of the first veloxowhatever-bird-lizard mounts when they were introduced in a pack a long while back, and then it turned out they were ridiculously popular and expensive and I was just kicking myself, because I have never once rode the damn thing on that character and can't even be bothered to pay to make it available to my other characters.

• VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    You're right, I'm thinking of the Icethomper. I enjoy the animal mounts for a change of pace. Sometimes I feel like riding a vehicle, sometimes its an animal mount.

I gave myself a little kick over the weekend when I saw that the coin flip rest action was selling for around 7-800k and the one I had on my BH was bound because I was curious to see what it did at the time I opened the pack when it first came out.

steam_sig.png
    Mounts, even fancy ones, don't really go for that much these days. 500k - 1mil is about what you would expect unless a mount is somehow special or unusual.

Mounts, even fancy ones, don't really go for that much these days. 500k - 1mil is about what you would expect unless a mount is somehow special or unusual.

Yeah I have a feeling I will be paying through the nose for a monocycle, because that one really is unusual. Alas.

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    So, I'm now ready to roll a Smuggler(probably female).
    C6ZzU9n.gif

Corso "M'lady" Riggs now has his hat.

(Also I got the cooler looking jetbike mount from the slot machine)
    swtor-vectron-magnus-speeder.jpg

The dynamic brawler set is really good looking IMO and very, very detailed. It should be an abundant drop from this pack, and you might be able to snag it for cheap over the next few days so heads up.

Hah hah hah

When did they make basic color crystals no longer alignment restricted? I can't believe I never noticed that, was it recent or something? I always thought it was so silly that the jedi and sith didn't just loyalty test people by randomly handing them a faction appropriate lightsaber and saying "Equip it!"

Which is to say nothing about troopers, smugglers, agents, and bounty hunters who find themselves mysteriously unable to fire red laser blasters because they are too nice.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    People still use basic color crystals?

White Hawkeye master race.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt