As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I was tempted by the LG G4 but I'm pretty sure I'm full on waiting for the Nexus 5 2.0 with USB C and other sexiness. My Nexus 5 has been my favorite phone ever and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Anyone here on M preview? I've been running it for almost a week now. It's pretty nice, battery life does seem improved but it's not a huge change. I'm getting some occasional annoying crashes (mostly in reddit sync, where it just says "no, you will not load this thread ever" and android wear keeps crashing for some reason) and I'm missing root for DPI changes but that's about it.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Regarding Pocketcast; I am also using the paid version of it. It's the best one I've used so far. It's also the only one that I could find, where I could easily change playback speed (I listen to podcasts at 1.3-1.5x).

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    about the N6. I'd pay $500 for a good nexus phone...that wasn't bigger than a small child. google dun goofed with the N6. Hopefully they correct that this year.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Mugsley wrote: »

Regarding Pocketcast; I am also using the paid version of it. It's the best one I've used so far. It's also the only one that I could find, where I could easily change playback speed (I listen to podcasts at 1.3-1.5x).

I've been a pocketcasts user for a couple years now. hands down the most used app on my phone. buy it now.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Another +1 for pocketcasts.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    about the N6. I'd pay $500 for a good nexus phone...that wasn't bigger than a small child. google dun goofed with the N6. Hopefully they correct that this year.

The N6 isn't that big. It's big, but it fits in all you normal men's pants pockets. I thought it was going to be too big. It is not. I actually have an easier time with it than my S3, in no small part due to it's size.

The N6 isn't that big. It's big, but it fits in all you normal men's pants pockets. I thought it was going to be too big. It is not. I actually have an easier time with it than my S3, in no small part due to it's size.

I've held the N6. It is too big for most people. It makes a better small tablet than a phone. For the people who like it, great. But 6" is the breaking point.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Holding and using are different things. I have a Z Ultra, and within a couple of days, I was able to set it up to easily do about 80% of usage one-handed. I can use it completely one handed, but that requires holding it and shifting it around that some people might not be comfortable with or able to do.

That being said, I have demoted it to my backup tablet and media viewer, and switched to a Z3 Compact as my phone. So yeah, opposite end of the spectrum there.

Number One Tricky
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The price drops on the Moto 360 keep temping me, but also kind of feels like they are fire saling it to clear out inventory before the debut of Moto 360 v2 (or would it be Moto 720 or would they follow MS can call it the Moto One)

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    The price drops on the Moto 360 keep temping me, but also kind of feels like they are fire saling it to clear out inventory before the debut of Moto 360 v2 (or would it be Moto 720 or would they follow MS can call it the Moto One)

Moto has also said that the reason it doesn't have the 5.1.1 wear update yet is because of performance issues, they're still working on optimizing it.

I just bought one about a month ago, I had the orignal G watch. the 360 is better in almost every way, except battery life. my G watch would make it easily through a day, where with the 360 a "busy" day for it has it dead by 10pm or so, coming off the charger at 6am.

The lack of the wear update is annoying, but not a deal breaker. There isn't anything in 5.1.1 that I feel is a "oh my god I must have" for a device that sits on my wrist. It is worrysome for long term support though.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    5.1.1 is terrible for my Nexus 5 battery. Very slow charge, very fast discharge. Tried power on/off, draining to 0% then full charge before turning off. No luck.

Ampere tells me the charging current is ~160mA with the screen on but the percentage is incrementing very slowly.

I should stop doing these updates.

It looks like I had several bad USB cables. I tried a friends cable and Ampere went from reporting 230mA charging current to 1000mA simply by changing the cable.

Any suggestions on where to buy cables? The ones that are no good were from eBay/China. I tried ones from Monoprice but the micro-B connectors are too wide and wouldn't fit in the port with my phone's cover on.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    5.1.1 is terrible for my Nexus 5 battery. Very slow charge, very fast discharge. Tried power on/off, draining to 0% then full charge before turning off. No luck.

Ampere tells me the charging current is ~160mA with the screen on but the percentage is incrementing very slowly.

I should stop doing these updates.

It looks like I had several bad USB cables. I tried a friends cable and Ampere went from reporting 230mA charging current to 1000mA simply by changing the cable.

Any suggestions on where to buy cables? The ones that are no good were from eBay/China. I tried ones from Monoprice but the micro-B connectors are too wide and wouldn't fit in the port with my phone's cover on.

I actually like the charger I got from Walgreens. It's a single piece, cable and charging cube. Tech & Go.

Anker and "Cables2Go" are both good Amazon merchants. You can also get the "Samsung" cables through Amazon (with the slight flare at the end of the microUSB mold). I'll have to dig up that merchant.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am upgrading my Verizon contact in about a month and wanted the low down on phones. I had an s4, which I loved, but now I am looking at the lg g4 vs the s6 edge. I really want a phone as snappy as my s4 so more powerful is better. I cannot afford to buy one off contract at the moment so some phones are out but I know there are plenty still available. Thoughts?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The Verizon LG G4 is missing a number of features compared to the models offered by the other carriers. I don't have a link handy right now but you should be able to find a rundown pretty easily on one of the Android news sites.

If you liked the S4 getting an S6 seems like a no-brainer to me, as the consensus seems to be that the S6 is the best phone Samsung has made in a long time and revives a moribund line after then S4 and S5 failed to impress.

Gaslight on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Also, the general consensus on the S6 vs S6 Edge is that the Edge is cool, but nothing it does is worth an extra $100.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Does everybody know the N6 is on sale currently? I caved, bought one, and ordered a SIM for a pre-paid service. Phone arrives tomorrow ($3.99 next-day shipping !!!) and the SIM should arrive Friday.

Finally free of Verizon!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    My new Nexus 6 that I won on ebay arrived today! I haven't actually done anything with it other than installing the updates and installing my apps but it's nice to have a phone that doesn't suck. Galaxy Nexus to Nexus 6 is a pretty decent jump :)

I ended up getting it for about $100 less than the current sale price + shipping so I'm pretty happy about it. And about $100 more than the Oneplus One would have cost me. If I hadn't won this auction, then I was just about to order a Oneplus One. I'm sure I would have been happy either way.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    I'm happy for all of you that are using a something the size of a small child as a phone. :biggrin:

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm happy for all of you that are using a something the size of a small child as a phone. :biggrin:

This bad boy is basically replacing my phone which never gets used as a phone and my 2012 Nexus 7 so I have no problem with it's size. My phone has my right pocket all to itself anyways.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

I'm a big boy with big boy hands. Though I am worried since I do lots of weightlifting and pants tend to be super tight in the thighs that I may shatter the thing the first time I sit down.

I have tiny girl hands. Yesterday, I was trying to use my wife's Turbo one handed, it was incredibly awkward. My Gen 1 Moto X is pretty much the biggest phone I can handle. Bring back the OG Droid size.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    @bloodatonement

its a bit like this i imagine

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7610-1379112068-0.gif

camo_sig.png
    pretty much

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    I have tiny girl hands. Yesterday, I was trying to use my wife's Turbo one handed, it was incredibly awkward. My Gen 1 Moto X is pretty much the biggest phone I can handle. Bring back the OG Droid size.

I'm ok up to 5.1 or 5.2. But if I need two hands to operate my phone that defeats the purpose of what it is.

To be very clear: I'm also not happy with the Nexus 6 being 6". But myriad factors have kind of forced me towards it right now otherwise I would have waited for the rumored updated Nexus 5.

Though I kind of thought my Galaxy S4 was too big when I transitioned from the iPhone 4 and now the latter looks like a baby's toy.

edited June 2015
    I remember the Galaxy Nexus feeling *enormous* when I first got it upgrading from a 4" Galaxy S. the N5 isn't really much bigger than the GNex, and I kinda like that.

wunderbar on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Man when I go running I put my phone in my pocket for music. I can't imagine trucking the N6 around in it.

Really, really excited that the N5 is apparently getting an update this fall. My current one is still holding out okay, the battery life especially so with M Dev preview, but I was mostly just worried that Google would never go back to that size. Now I have to buy it to make sure they keep doing it. Voting with your wallet and all that.

edited June 2015
    You know, those of us who do like and use the Nexus 6 don't come in and talk about how it must be impossible to actually see or do anything on those tiny phones that might as well be holding candy.

Maybe don't act like the problems you face are The Problems. It's an incredibly popular product and phone, maybe stop with the almost insane level of down talk?

I was wary of all of these problems. Then I used the phone for actual things. All those problems I imagined weren't actual problems.

I don't have monster hands, but have no problem using the phone one handed. I wear fitted clothing, yet it fits in all my pockets. I run, but have never had a problem (I have always used a belt to hold my phone then, though. I've always thought my phone would shoot out of my pocket).

I'm just saying, can we cut it out with the negativity that is purely anecdotal yet stated like fact?

Anon the Felon on
    I wear fitted clothing, yet it fits in all my pockets.

This more or less alleviates my single concern. Pretty excited to finally have a Nexus device tomorrow.

edited June 2015
    I was so damn worried it wouldn't fit in my dress pants (H&M, skinny cut dress slacks). Instead it fit like a glove. I still take it out while sitting, but that's because I don't want a phone shaped wear spot.

Anon the Felon on
    You know, those of us who do like and use the Nexus 6 don't come in and talk about how it must be impossible to actually see or do anything on those tiny phones that might as well be holding candy.

Maybe don't act like the problems you face are The Problems. It's an incredibly popular product and phone, maybe stop with the almost insane level of down talk?

I was wary of all of these problems. Then I used the phone for actual things. All those problems I imagined weren't actual problems.

I don't have monster hands, but have no problem using the phone one handed. I wear fitted clothing, yet it fits in all my pockets. I run, but have never had a problem (I have always used a belt to hold my phone then, though. I've always thought my phone would shoot out of my pocket).

I'm just saying, can we cut it out with the negativity that is purely anecdotal yet stated like fact?

Defensive, much? I just re-read all the posts from today about the size of the N6, and I see nothing what you're describing. Everyone here has described what size works for them, and what is too big/too small for them. No one tired to tell you what size works for you, so maybe you can calm down a bit yourself?

Also, since you asked for people to state facts, Google reported, publicly, in their latest quarterly earnings that the sales for the Nexus 6 and 9 have been "sluggish". Now to be fair, I'm sure some of that is inventory constraints since Google remains unable to launch a hardware product, but even they have admitted it hasn't sold as well as the N5 did.

Did they expect the N6 to sell as well as the N5? Because there was a massive price disparity between the two.
    The release retail price for the N5 and N6 was $400 and $650, respectively, for the 32GB models.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Not sure if the Nexus 6 qualifies as "incredibly popular and successful."

That said, I don't know why it takes so much shit for being big while the Note 3 and 4 are almost universally praised when their screens are only smaller by like a quarter inch (and the usable screen real estate and handling area is about the same since the N6 is using the bottom strip of its screen for softkeys). I personally wouldn't want a phone as big as any of the above (5-5.2" is the upper limit for my comfort), but I don't get why "2heug lol" only becomes a memetic criticism for some big phones and not others.

Gaslight on
    edited June 2015

Defensive, much? I just re-read all the posts from today about the size of the N6, and I see nothing what you're describing. Everyone here has described what size works for them, and what is too big/too small for them. No one tired to tell you what size works for you, so maybe you can calm down a bit yourself?

Also, since you asked for people to state facts, Google reported, publicly, in their latest quarterly earnings that the sales for the Nexus 6 and 9 have been "sluggish". Now to be fair, I'm sure some of that is inventory constraints since Google remains unable to launch a hardware product, but even they have admitted it hasn't sold as well as the N5 did.

My man.

First, don't begin to assume my emotional state or intensity.

Second, you keep describing the size that "worked for you" by being negative about the size that didn't. That's what I'm talking about. You wanna talk about how phones smaller than the N6 are great? Great! Don't do it by blasting the things others like. That's being a goose.

I'm was trying to ask you to stop being a goose, without calling you to the mat. Because it's not that big a deal, just a minor annoyance.

But you've already started to strawman me, so I'll just leave this where it is. An environment of hostility isn't one conductive for constructive discussion.

On point:

I appreciate all the endorsements for PocketCast, forgot to get back on that one. It's been fuckin' great.

Anon the Felon on

My man.

First, don't begin to assume my emotional state or intensity.

Second, you keep describing the size that "worked for you" by being negative about the size that didn't. That's what I'm talking about. You wanna talk about how phones smaller than the N6 are great? Great! Don't do it by blasting the things others like. That's being a goose.

I'm was trying to ask you to stop being a goose, without calling you to the mat. Because it's not that big a deal, just a minor annoyance.

But you've already started to strawman me, so I'll just leave this where it is. An environment of hostility isn't one conductive for constructive discussion.

On point:

I appreciate all the endorsements for PocketCast, forgot to get back on that one. It's been fuckin' great.

I don't believe that stating what works for me qualifies as being negative towards the N6, but I'll agree to let this be. I think we both read waaaay too much into what each other was saying, so it can rest.

And yes, Pocketcasts is literally the best app I've ever used, on any mobile platform. Happy to help with that one.

I still wish Tweetbot would develop an Android version. It is, quite literally, the only thing I miss from iOS.

I could probably keep my current N5 through another two years or so; but I'm excited at the possible refresh because there's a chance they'll fix the battery life.

That being said, the Asus Zenfone 2 is extremely intriguing. It's a similar size/form factor and the hardware is just a bit newer. I believe it's got an Intel chip inside, and the jury is still out as to how well it performs and handles battery life.

Right now, both of those phones would be a toss-up for me, for a phone replacement. I'm still slowly working on my wife to convince her to get away from Samsung bloatware and move to something cleaner.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    On my S6 I have a couple apps (Libra Eorzea, and the Steam app) that for some reason get a little circle with a vertical ellipsis in it on the right side of the screen. I can click on the circle and drag it around the screen, but it doesn't do anything. It kind of reminds me of the conversation heads from the Facebook messenger app, except that I have that feature disabled. Anybody know what might be causing it?

steam_sig.png
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I still wish Tweetbot would develop an Android version. It is, quite literally, the only thing I miss from iOS.

I could probably keep my current N5 through another two years or so; but I'm excited at the possible refresh because there's a chance they'll fix the battery life.

That being said, the Asus Zenfone 2 is extremely intriguing. It's a similar size/form factor and the hardware is just a bit newer. I believe it's got an Intel chip inside, and the jury is still out as to how well it performs and handles battery life.

Right now, both of those phones would be a toss-up for me, for a phone replacement. I'm still slowly working on my wife to convince her to get away from Samsung bloatware and move to something cleaner.

Try Fenix for Twitter. I used to go through twitter apps like candy but I've been using Fenix for a year and it's been solid.

The Zenfone 2 is a 5.5" device, bigger than the N5, just as a FYI. The intel stuff causes a few app incompatabilities, but 99% of stuff is fine (most prominent example I can think of is that it took Microsoft about 6 months to make the word/excel/powerpoint apps for intel android). There are just enough quirks with the Zenfone to keep me away from it on a personal level, but for the price it is pretty solid.

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I know I was singing praises for my HTC One M8 in the other thread a year ago, but fast forward to today and I hate this phone. Never bothering with HTC again.

Inexplicably slow, almost all the time. I did a reset and cache clear after updating and it helped for about 2 weeks, before becoming a slow mess again. There's no way in hell I'm doing that every 2 weeks. HTC's version of stock is almost good enough, except their Text app handles large quantities of texts very poorly, the Email app is barebones, and the rest of their stuff (Blinkfeed, Zoe, etc.) is useless fluff.

The speakers suck. Maybe Boomsound is louder than everything else and it might even be better than every other set of cell phone speakers, but it's still not past the threshold of not sucking. It just provides a louder jumbled mess than other phones, but it's still a jumbled mess. Manufacturing quality is suspect. One thing no one mentioned before (which I'm pretty sure is apparent on all M8's, at least the ones I've looked at in stores) is the glass doesn't sit evenly in the frame. The right side of the glass has a slight raise to it. It has no functional impact, but it's sloppy and no one mentioned it before. What does have a functional impact is an issue where the SIM card gets disconnected and you lose your signal. If you hold the phone in the right place, it won't disconnect. Conversely, hold the phone in the wrong place and it will.

For a week after the reset, 'Ok Google' worked perfectly. Now, 'Ok Google' barely works half the time. I usually have to open up Google Now first to get it to work, and sometimes even then it won't work - I have to press the button.

The only things that haven't let me down are the camera (still mediocre, but works well enough and I knew that going in), screen (still beautiful) and battery life. The rest of the phone has become a hot mess (literally - it got hot enough to trigger its temp alarm the other day.) I don't know if I should blame Google, Verizon or HTC but this phone can go to hell.

The lack of good 4.7" phones actually has me considering an iPhone. Google's own phone finder tool gave me a freaking Kyocera as a top recommendation for a <5" phone. You've got a big weakness in the Android lineup, Google.

Jibba on
This discussion has been closed.