As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

howto[chat]

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Of course, I pretty much go into immediate eye rolling exhaustion whenever I hear someone decry society for being too "PC"

just like they do when told not to say something

it's exhausting to have to fight for every word out of everyone's mouth, in either direction

I can explain why it's a jerk move to call gay men effeminate. I can point out the long history of them dealing with being called not "real" men and the stereotypes that got attached to emphasize that. I'm not mindlessly saying "Don't say that" I can actually back up my reasoning. I doubt Jerry can do the same for his fear of the pc police.

It sucks that someone somewhere probably did a terrible job of explaining themselves to Jerry. It doesn't change that Jerry insisting on continuing that stereotype is insensitive and turns people off.

Except he can in his first interview when he explicitly states an example of why he thinks the way he does
    He continued, "I'll give you an example: My daughter's 14. My wife says to her, 'Well, you know, in the next couple years, I think maybe you’re going to want to be hanging around the city more on the weekends, so you can see boys.' You know what my daughter says? She says, ‘That’s sexist.’"

Seinfeld said college students don't understand racism and sexism. "They just want to use these words: 'That’s racist;' 'That’s sexist;' 'That’s prejudice.' They don’t even know what the f—k they’re talking about.”

He thinks people overreact to things, and then they overreacted about that.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    there was an eclipse here not that long ago

only full in svalbard, but apparently like 90 percent eclipse

I had actually stayed up all night to catch it. It was awesome. The sky went from grey to darker grey and then back to grey. Woo.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    The real question is why aren't the French or kings upset about this

As an asexual french king

B..but your lines of succession..

I can always get an heir without needing to do the dirty tango.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    what is the seinfeld thing

he made a comment in an interview about how political correctness, especially in colleges, is killing comedy

people got offended at the idea of someone thinking they're too easily offended, basically

There aren't really any boundaries in comedy, but crassly offensive humor is the crutch of the shitty comic.

Basically, if you don't punch down, you're doing it right.

Nah. Crassly offensive comedy done well is an art in and of itself. Frankie Boyle is a national treasure, especially because people get positively apoplectic about his jokes, even when they are against powerful figures, and frankly ridiculous.

Also, the entire "punching down" analogy is ridiculous, both because "down" is highly ill-defined, and comparing free speech to physical violence is a dangerous and irresponsible call for censorship. The famous analogy of "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre!" was never actually referring to that, but was referring to those dastardly anti-draft advocates expressing a political opinion via leaflets. If we want to talk about violence, well, comparing speech to things that aren't speech (treason, violence, war against God, whatever) is a slippery slope to causing actual violence, both state sponsored and mob, against people for having the wrong opinions.

• Options
    "college students don't understand ______" is a pretty reasoned viewpoint

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I really don't think it's fair to this thread to have a circumcision and "how offensive is too offensive in comedy!???" discussion in the same thread

this poor lil' thread is exhausted, guys

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    "college students don't understand ______" is a pretty reasoned viewpoint

Except, you know, making fun of the gays for being effeminate is not good.

it's lazy comedy. a low-hanging fruit, if you will.

• Options
    comparing free speech to physical violence is a dangerous and irresponsible call for censorship.

wow.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I, uh, don't have a whole lot going on right now.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I really don't think it's fair to this thread to have a circumcision and "how offensive is too offensive in comedy!???" discussion in the same thread

I'm happy i couldn't post during that part.

God bless having work to do in a job factory for adult people.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

he made a comment in an interview about how political correctness, especially in colleges, is killing comedy

people got offended at the idea of someone thinking they're too easily offended, basically

There aren't really any boundaries in comedy, but crassly offensive humor is the crutch of the shitty comic.

Yes. I am aware of this. He didn't mention any joke or bit though (before the second interview, which imo he shouldn't have even had to of made), just the prevalent opinion amongst comedians is that college campuses are too PC. He also isn't the first comedian to express this opinion. Chris Rock was lauded for this interview saying the same thing before Christmas

Yeah I can't really disagree with that.

We need to have some real talk about being offensive when it comes to religion.

What do you mean, tho?

I dunno.

Sometimes it feels like the only people involved in the public discourse about the influence of religion in our culture are either the raving bigots or knee-jerk zealots. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground in the dialogue, despite the fact that I think the overwhelming amount of opinions probably lie there. All the media coverage seems to be either of the "Bill Maher calls Muslims pigfucking baby-eaters" or "300 dead in riot over comments regarding the choice of best bookmark to use while reading Koran" variety.

Atomika on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Noooo I thought I was hungover but now I think im actually sick

I have a date tomorrow too at a hipster rap concert I was looking forward to

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

Nah. Crassly offensive comedy done well is an art in and of itself. Frankie Boyle is a national treasure, especially because people get positively apoplectic about his jokes, even when they are against powerful figures, and frankly ridiculous.

Also, the entire "punching down" analogy is ridiculous, both because "down" is highly ill-defined, and comparing free speech to physical violence is a dangerous and irresponsible call for censorship. The famous analogy of "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre!" was never actually referring to that, but was referring to those dastardly anti-draft advocates expressing a political opinion via leaflets. If we want to talk about violence, well, comparing speech to things that aren't speech (treason, violence, war against God, whatever) is a slippery slope to causing actual violence, both state sponsored and mob, against people for having the wrong opinions.

I think Mika was more referring to micers wondering why their abortion joke got more walk outs than usual rather than seasoned professionals like Boyle or Jeselnik.

Also, as someone who performs comedy regularly, the punching down analogy is apt. Like it really doesn't take a genius to figure out why it's there.

• Options

Yes. I am aware of this. He didn't mention any joke or bit though (before the second interview, which imo he shouldn't have even had to of made), just the prevalent opinion amongst comedians is that college campuses are too PC. He also isn't the first comedian to express this opinion. Chris Rock was lauded for this interview saying the same thing before Christmas

Yeah I can't really disagree with that.

We need to have some real talk about being offensive when it comes to religion.

What do you mean, tho?

I dunno.

Sometimes it feels like the only people involved in the public discourse about the influence of religion in our culture are either the raving bigots or knee-jerk zealots. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground in the dialogue, despite the fact that I think the overwhelming amount of opinions probably lie there. All the media coverage seems to be either of the "Bill Maher calls Muslims pigfucking baby-eaters" or "300 dead in riot over comments regarding the choice of best bookmark to use while reading Koran" variety.

That's fair.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Of course, I pretty much go into immediate eye rolling exhaustion whenever I hear someone decry society for being too "PC"

it's exhausting to have to fight for every word out of everyone's mouth, in either direction

I can explain why it's a jerk move to call gay men effeminate. I can point out the long history of them dealing with being called not "real" men and the stereotypes that got attached to emphasize that. I'm not mindlessly saying "Don't say that" I can actually back up my reasoning. I doubt Jerry can do the same for his fear of the pc police.

It sucks that someone somewhere probably did a terrible job of explaining themselves to Jerry. It doesn't change that Jerry insisting on continuing that stereotype is insensitive and turns people off.

Except he can in his first interview when he explicitly states an example of why he thinks the way he does
    He continued, "I'll give you an example: My daughter's 14. My wife says to her, 'Well, you know, in the next couple years, I think maybe you’re going to want to be hanging around the city more on the weekends, so you can see boys.' You know what my daughter says? She says, ‘That’s sexist.’"

Seinfeld said college students don't understand racism and sexism. "They just want to use these words: 'That’s racist;' 'That’s sexist;' 'That’s prejudice.' They don’t even know what the f—k they’re talking about.”

No, people just think he is an old man yelling at clouds. Oh, and also he made a racist, homophobic joke.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The real question is why aren't the French or kings upset about this

As an asexual french king

B..but your lines of succession..

*wrings hands*

m'lord..

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

And that is not the instance I am talking about. He mocked people for finding it offensive to assume gay men are effeminate. And in that instance he's pretty much in the wrong.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Oh my god.
    My lips were basically bleeding and I was frantic for any chapstick or lip balm. When I looked at my choices, I was not too impressed. Some of the lip balm would just make them hurt worse, but none were designed for men. Then the idea for Dude Stick was born.

We're gendering chapstick now?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

I was just following up with Bowen. I didn't mean to start anything. :(

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Oh my god.
    My lips were basically bleeding and I was frantic for any chapstick or lip balm. When I looked at my choices, I was not too impressed. Some of the lip balm would just make them hurt worse, but none were designed for men. Then the idea for Dude Stick was born.

dude

stick

hahaha

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    I'd love some good Dude Stick on my lips right now, let me tell you

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Oh my god.

You apparently missed out on the glory that was alpha nail polish.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Claiming people overreact and then going "see! see! overreacting!" when people react isn't actually proving your case though.

Like it can entirely be the case that people are reacting with the proper degree of reactionness to some dumb shit you said.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I would go with Da Balm

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    is the racist part making fun of the french or did i miss something else

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that I believe Texas really exists. It might all be faked on a sound stage, like the moon landing.

You don't even think the Bronx exists.

• Options

No, people just think he is an old man yelling at clouds. Oh, and also he made a racist, homophobic joke.

He was asked his opinion in an interview and he gave a well reasoned answer before there was a public backlash, tho. I would hardly call that yelling at clouds. I'm not talking about the joke, which no one is actually really defending (tho people sure are posting it without the set up to make it seem worse than it was).

• Options
    the GoT fight choreography could do with some improvements

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Still working on essay that was due Monday. :(

Much quantum. Very black hole information paradox.

If I ever read about Alice and Bob again it will be too soon.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    hmm

i wrote a song for my brother's wedding as a surprise wedding present

now i am writing a song (by request) for my good friends wedding where i will also be the best man

i should probably look into taking voice lessons so i don't fuck this up

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    is the racist part making fun of the french or did i miss something else

is that even racist tho

i mean

it's the french

• Options

there's like, scores of pages about that in the show thread if you're so inclined

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

I think Mika was more referring to micers wondering why their abortion joke got more walk outs than usual rather than seasoned professionals like Boyle or Jeselnik.

Well, bad comedy is bad. "What's the difference between a dump truck full of bowling balls and a dump truck full of dead babies?" is hilarious in middle school, but doesn't age well past its ridiculousness.
    Also, as someone who performs comedy regularly, the punching down analogy is apt. Like it really doesn't take a genius to figure out why it's there.

You find that comics with less careful material send a lot of people to the emergency room?

There's a difference between telling jokes that make some people uncomfortable and kicking someone on the ground until they shit blood. Violence is violence. Being put out of your comfort zone is not.

• Options
    oh god the andy grammar honey im good music video is the most disgusting celebration of monogamy what in the

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Whoa whoa, we can't have anyone say anything offensive in a comedy routine.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Oh god I have taco farts.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

there's like, scores of pages about that in the show thread if you're so inclined

I've got like ten minutes until I can't be spoiled

and then I will maybe go over there and bitch

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    or like, not, but I'm not gonna get into specifics

okay some specifics: a really bad example of the aim for the dude's sword style fighting. Like, real bad.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Whoa whoa, we can't have anyone say anything offensive in a comedy routine.

Fortunately no one has claimed that!

• Options

Well, bad comedy is bad. "What's the difference between a dump truck full of bowling balls and a dump truck full of dead babies?" is hilarious in middle school, but doesn't age well past its ridiculousness.

You find that comics with less careful material send a lot of people to the emergency room?

There's a difference between telling jokes that make some people uncomfortable and kicking someone on the ground until they shit blood. Violence is violence. Being put out of your comfort zone is not.

nobody is saying it is actually like kicking or punching somebody, goddamn

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.