As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

howto[chat]

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    what is the seinfeld thing

he made a comment in an interview about how political correctness, especially in colleges, is killing comedy

people got offended at the idea of someone thinking they're too easily offended, basically

There aren't really any boundaries in comedy, but crassly offensive humor is the crutch of the shitty comic.

Basically, if you don't punch down, you're doing it right.

Nah. Crassly offensive comedy done well is an art in and of itself. Frankie Boyle is a national treasure, especially because people get positively apoplectic about his jokes, even when they are against powerful figures, and frankly ridiculous.

Also, the entire "punching down" analogy is ridiculous, both because "down" is highly ill-defined, and comparing free speech to physical violence is a dangerous and irresponsible call for censorship. The famous analogy of "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre!" was never actually referring to that, but was referring to those dastardly anti-draft advocates expressing a political opinion via leaflets. If we want to talk about violence, well, comparing speech to things that aren't speech (treason, violence, war against God, whatever) is a slippery slope to causing actual violence, both state sponsored and mob, against people for having the wrong opinions.

I think Mika was more referring to micers wondering why their abortion joke got more walk outs than usual rather than seasoned professionals like Boyle or Jeselnik.

Well, bad comedy is bad. "What's the difference between a dump truck full of bowling balls and a dump truck full of dead babies?" is hilarious in middle school, but doesn't age well past its ridiculousness.
    Also, as someone who performs comedy regularly, the punching down analogy is apt. Like it really doesn't take a genius to figure out why it's there.

You find that comics with less careful material send a lot of people to the emergency room?

There's a difference between telling jokes that make some people uncomfortable and kicking someone on the ground until they shit blood. Violence is violence. Being put out of your comfort zone is not.

nobody is saying it is actually like kicking or punching somebody, goddamn

Words mean things. If by "punch down," you don't want to draw even the slightest comparison with punching people, don't use the word punch.

For example, you could say, "Telling jokes which reinforce existing social stereotypes can lead to a bit more negative climate for people who are minorities," but that lacks the imagery of people imagining skinheads cornering an immigrant in an alleyway.

are you serious right now? this is such absurd offshoot for the dicussion, to rage against such a common phrase

it's like damn, the english language just ain't gonna be for you if you are going to be this literal

not sure if there is any other language that would suit you either

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    If he used like a Jewish mother waving off bad liver or something people would of said nothing about it because Jerry is a Jew.

I don't know the joke wasn't that awful. It wasn't that funny. But considering the conversation before and after it worked.

Comedy is about timing and the timing worked even made me crack a small smile.

I think text readings of stuff like this, unless it was written in text at first, will probably miss a lot of a situation that makes the joke work.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    This historical revisionism of Seinfeld not being funny is mind boggling to me

Comedy moves fast.

Most comedy isn't very funny even 5 years later. Seinfeld is pretty good in lasting longer but arguably most of it isn't very funny any more.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Did we ever actually make crazy pills?

I'm assuming MKULTRA probably.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I'm routinely offended by comics, particularly the great British ones that take the piss out of religion in their especially vicious manner.

Also the chick from Orange is the New Black, who opened her set on Netflix with a racist joke about how black people have really white teeth and a long bit about how she owned an aggressive lesbian.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »

he made a comment in an interview about how political correctness, especially in colleges, is killing comedy

people got offended at the idea of someone thinking they're too easily offended, basically

There aren't really any boundaries in comedy, but crassly offensive humor is the crutch of the shitty comic.

Nah. Crassly offensive comedy done well is an art in and of itself. Frankie Boyle is a national treasure, especially because people get positively apoplectic about his jokes, even when they are against powerful figures, and frankly ridiculous.

Also, the entire "punching down" analogy is ridiculous, both because "down" is highly ill-defined, and comparing free speech to physical violence is a dangerous and irresponsible call for censorship. The famous analogy of "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre!" was never actually referring to that, but was referring to those dastardly anti-draft advocates expressing a political opinion via leaflets. If we want to talk about violence, well, comparing speech to things that aren't speech (treason, violence, war against God, whatever) is a slippery slope to causing actual violence, both state sponsored and mob, against people for having the wrong opinions.

I think Mika was more referring to micers wondering why their abortion joke got more walk outs than usual rather than seasoned professionals like Boyle or Jeselnik.

Well, bad comedy is bad. "What's the difference between a dump truck full of bowling balls and a dump truck full of dead babies?" is hilarious in middle school, but doesn't age well past its ridiculousness.
    Also, as someone who performs comedy regularly, the punching down analogy is apt. Like it really doesn't take a genius to figure out why it's there.

You find that comics with less careful material send a lot of people to the emergency room?

There's a difference between telling jokes that make some people uncomfortable and kicking someone on the ground until they shit blood. Violence is violence. Being put out of your comfort zone is not.

Words mean things. If by "punch down," you don't want to draw even the slightest comparison with punching people, don't use the word punch.

For example, you could say, "Telling jokes which reinforce existing social stereotypes can lead to a bit more negative climate for people who are minorities," but that lacks the imagery of people imagining skinheads cornering an immigrant in an alleyway.

are you serious right now? this is such absurd offshoot for the dicussion, to rage against such a common phrase

it's like damn, the english language just ain't gonna be for you if you are going to be this literal

not sure if there is any other language that would suit you either

Definitely not Tamarian.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

Am I allowed say I had a "killer" set if I do well tomorrow night? I don't want you imagining Jeffrey Dahmer because my dick jokes went down well and I used a common phrase to describe that.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

NO

NO THERE WERE NO SUCCESSFUL RESULTS FROM THAT DEFUNCT PROGRAM

NONE AT ALL

<<

>>

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I just don't like people labeling it as 'relying on'. it's the same thing I said earlier, you're narrowing what actually happened and magnifying the bad part. as did some articles that were quoted.

It may seem like a pointless distinction but I don't think it is. He's not going on some rant about a gay guy he knows and how he moves like a girl.

I'm being super specific about a thing that was said, I realize, but reframing what he said, again as the articles did, does no one any service

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    But sienfeld referencing the dismissive wrist flounce?

Turn on the Internet hate machine.

https://youtu.be/KXDHjwaUtPI

And since it is still on my clip board.

The actual clip.

Watch, judge and not depend on third party framing.

u7stthr17eud.png
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm routinely offended by comics, particularly the great British ones that take the piss out of religion in their especially vicious manner.

Also the chick from Orange is the New Black, who opened her set on Netflix with a racist joke about how black people have really white teeth and a long bit about how she owned an aggressive lesbian.

I've been listening to a lot of Kurt Metzger lately and I love how he does the whole "I'm going to say shit you agree with but in a deliberately offensive manner to make you feel awkward about laughing".

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hey, Legend of Grimrock II is $5.99 on GOG right now

Can someone with the Steam version let me know what the most current version number is? The GOG download included an old already-applied patch, apparently

I'm seeing version 2.2.4?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.

I sometimes feel if Monty Python was doing the Spanish Inquisition bit today it would be the Internet Inquisition instead.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    the joke is literally you look flamboyantly gay when you use a cellphone

i mean

I'm sorry its not the 90s anymore Jerry

in the grand scheme of things does this matter? No, probably not. there are more offensive comedians

is the real problem here basically the equivalent of being in a room with your uncle making jokes about the colored people while you awkwardly eat pumpkin pie, and him getting annoyed when someone asks him to cut out the jokes?

yes

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    my dick jokes went down well

:winky:

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I've heard comedians mention it before. Matt Besser, one of the founders of UCB did a whole episode about it on his podcast. I guess the meaning could escape you if you were never exposed to it, but I don't think it's that offensive? Punch could be used figuratively.

I think? I'm not sure about anything anymore.

smCQ5WE.jpg

Just about everyone here has been having a fairly level discussion of it.

I don't know why you're trying to characterize it any differently.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

the US and Great Britain were going to weaponize LSD but the mean old UN said "nooo you cant do that"

override367 on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    so im making this maze generator thingy and im running around it and every time i press spacebar the character seems to get flipped around

im like idk wtf is happening jesus christ wat

cant figure out why the rotation isnt changin or nothin

then after too long it hits me

spacebar also rebuilds the maze from scratch

leave the ground and the world is rebuilt be4 ur very eyes

maze-chan...

obF2Wuw.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    If he used like a Jewish mother waving off bad liver or something people would of said nothing about it because Jerry is a Jew.

I don't know the joke wasn't that awful. It wasn't that funny. But considering the conversation before and after it worked.

I think text readings of stuff like this, unless it was written in text at first, will probably miss a lot of a situation that makes the joke work.

Jerry is white, he can't be an oppressed minority. It screws up the narrative!

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    god what a ridiculously tame joke to get on about

the internet really is silly about comedy

i always get confused when comedians say things like "oh I can't tell these kinds of jokes at colleges anymore, I guess I won't do them"

isnt your job writing jokes

cant you like

make new ones, or tailor your material more appropriately

shit i mean I change what is in my lectures depending on my audience, and you guys are getting paid a lot more per hour of talking than i am

O_o

Spool you're doing that thing where you're arguing against something no one else at all has claimed.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Is there a law against cutting someone's hair without their consent

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think seinfeld has a point

What does their hair look like?

smCQ5WE.jpg
    "arch you have to give a talk about bugs to preschoolers"

BUT THEY DONT UNDERSTAND GENETICS

I GUESS I CANT DO OUTREACH ANYMORE

I wonder if flamboyant gay dudes get grief for hurting the movement or something.

DAMN YOU AMERICAN EDUCATION SYSTEM, DAMN YOU

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

It's a video of people driving around cutting off people's man buns

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Quid wrote: »

O_o

Spool you're doing that thing where you're arguing against something no one else at all has claimed.

Actually, I mentioned it previously. The level of vitriol against Seinfeld for his comments about colleges being too PC is significantly worse than when Chris Rock said the same thing

the opinion seems to be "you can understand why people would be more accepting of a black person saying it, yeah?", which I personally think backs up Jerry's original statement

Elki wrote: »

It's a video of people driving around cutting off people's man buns

i think it is technically assault

but it shouldn't be

I wonder if flamboyant gay dudes get grief for hurting the movement or something.

What the fuck man. No, they don't. People who get flak are those who assume gay men are flamboyant. And they should because it's a dumb assumption.

They don't need to be burned at the stake or shunned from society forever. But much like Jerry has the right to tell jokes using the assumption other people can criticize him for it.

Arch wrote: »
    "arch you have to give a talk about bugs to preschoolers"

BUT THEY DONT UNDERSTAND GENETICS

I GUESS I CANT DO OUTREACH ANYMORE

If comedians don't want to tailor their creative output to a particular audiences taste, I don't see how that is weird or wrong

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    I think the thing is the joke actually has a true point. Even if he phrases the punchline poorly.

And the fact he kind of moans about using it is part of the rant that is his comedic style as well.

But in fact he realizes he can't use and has to change his way of talking but he feels the lines have gotten too small that he is worried no matter what he writes it will go over the same.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

some people have claimed being too flamboyant at gay pride parades does in fact hurt the movement. can't be too weird if we want acceptance from the heteros!

edited June 2015
    Quid wrote: »

O_o

Just a few posts up somebody referred to him as a white guy who might not understand minorities.

Unless I misread?

spool32 on
    Did Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee ever get not terrible? I remember watching the first couple of episodes, and quickly jumping ship.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.