As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

howto[chat]

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    what is the seinfeld thing

he made a comment in an interview about how political correctness, especially in colleges, is killing comedy

people got offended at the idea of someone thinking they're too easily offended, basically

There aren't really any boundaries in comedy, but crassly offensive humor is the crutch of the shitty comic.

Basically, if you don't punch down, you're doing it right.

Nah. Crassly offensive comedy done well is an art in and of itself. Frankie Boyle is a national treasure, especially because people get positively apoplectic about his jokes, even when they are against powerful figures, and frankly ridiculous.

Also, the entire "punching down" analogy is ridiculous, both because "down" is highly ill-defined, and comparing free speech to physical violence is a dangerous and irresponsible call for censorship. The famous analogy of "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre!" was never actually referring to that, but was referring to those dastardly anti-draft advocates expressing a political opinion via leaflets. If we want to talk about violence, well, comparing speech to things that aren't speech (treason, violence, war against God, whatever) is a slippery slope to causing actual violence, both state sponsored and mob, against people for having the wrong opinions.

I think Mika was more referring to micers wondering why their abortion joke got more walk outs than usual rather than seasoned professionals like Boyle or Jeselnik.

Well, bad comedy is bad. "What's the difference between a dump truck full of bowling balls and a dump truck full of dead babies?" is hilarious in middle school, but doesn't age well past its ridiculousness.
    Also, as someone who performs comedy regularly, the punching down analogy is apt. Like it really doesn't take a genius to figure out why it's there.

You find that comics with less careful material send a lot of people to the emergency room?

There's a difference between telling jokes that make some people uncomfortable and kicking someone on the ground until they shit blood. Violence is violence. Being put out of your comfort zone is not.

nobody is saying it is actually like kicking or punching somebody, goddamn

Words mean things. If by "punch down," you don't want to draw even the slightest comparison with punching people, don't use the word punch.

For example, you could say, "Telling jokes which reinforce existing social stereotypes can lead to a bit more negative climate for people who are minorities," but that lacks the imagery of people imagining skinheads cornering an immigrant in an alleyway.

are you serious right now? this is such absurd offshoot for the dicussion, to rage against such a common phrase

it's like damn, the english language just ain't gonna be for you if you are going to be this literal

not sure if there is any other language that would suit you either

Are you being serious? People choose metaphors they feel are accurate and to bolster their points with emotional poignancy. I think in the case of people complaining about offensive comedy, the metaphor is overwrought, and also close to the sort of language consistently used by censors, and censorship is provably a substantially more dangerous problem than offensive comedy.

To go a bit abreast, sodomy is a perfect example. The same line of thought that decided to call oral/anal sex "sodomy" very much intended to evoke the imagery of a city so morally depraved it was destroyed by god, and some literally argue, even in the year 2015, that having anal sex actually causes natural disasters. That's not a coincidence. It was always a deliberate choice and in many cases a sincere belief that the terminology most perfectly described the situation.

So, no, I don't buy the arguments that people who refer to a type of speech as violence, and argue that speech is harmful, and argue that speech is immoral obviously intend for all parties to be completely aware it's merely a quirk of the language and in no way should be interpreted as an accurate analogy or metaphor that should inform their opinions in any way.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    If he used like a Jewish mother waving off bad liver or something people would of said nothing about it because Jerry is a Jew.

I don't know the joke wasn't that awful. It wasn't that funny. But considering the conversation before and after it worked.

Comedy is about timing and the timing worked even made me crack a small smile.

I think text readings of stuff like this, unless it was written in text at first, will probably miss a lot of a situation that makes the joke work.

Jerry is white, he can't be an oppressed minority. It screws up the narrative!

O_o

Spool you're doing that thing where you're arguing against something no one else at all has claimed.

Actually, I mentioned it previously. The level of vitriol against Seinfeld for his comments about colleges being too PC is significantly worse than when Chris Rock said the same thing

the opinion seems to be "you can understand why people would be more accepting of a black person saying it, yeah?", which I personally think backs up Jerry's original statement

I don't doubt out there somewhere there's a dumb part of the internet.

I am not part of it. And what started this was my statements. I pointed out that what he said was insensitive and him insisting that it's not also the case. What some corner of Tumblr thinks isn't relevant to that.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Is there a law against cutting someone's hair without their consent

What does their hair look like?

It's a video of people driving around cutting off people's man buns

No jury would convict.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    "arch you have to give a talk about bugs to preschoolers"

BUT THEY DONT UNDERSTAND GENETICS

I GUESS I CANT DO OUTREACH ANYMORE

If comedians don't want to tailor their creative output to a particular audiences taste, I don't see how that is weird or wrong

i disagree that art is somehow sacrosanct and we must always bow before the feet of the creator

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    If this caused them to starve or quit comedy it would be a little odd, but when you just made $128 mil selling your sitcom to Hulu I can understand not giving a shit about doing a show at bryn mawr

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    If he used like a Jewish mother waving off bad liver or something people would of said nothing about it because Jerry is a Jew.

I don't know the joke wasn't that awful. It wasn't that funny. But considering the conversation before and after it worked.

I think text readings of stuff like this, unless it was written in text at first, will probably miss a lot of a situation that makes the joke work.

O_o

Spool you're doing that thing where you're arguing against something no one else at all has claimed.

Actually, I mentioned it previously. The level of vitriol against Seinfeld for his comments about colleges being too PC is significantly worse than when Chris Rock said the same thing

the opinion seems to be "you can understand why people would be more accepting of a black person saying it, yeah?", which I personally think backs up Jerry's original statement

that was my post

I haven't seen anyone else post on that particular topic

just to be clear that "the opinion" actually is only just my opinion and I don't actually represent the internet hate machine

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    I wonder if flamboyant gay dudes get grief for hurting the movement or something.

Hugely from some circles. Like go to certain parts of the internet or bars and they're incredibly mad the movement isn't GB.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    what is the seinfeld thing

he made a comment in an interview about how political correctness, especially in colleges, is killing comedy

people got offended at the idea of someone thinking they're too easily offended, basically

There aren't really any boundaries in comedy, but crassly offensive humor is the crutch of the shitty comic.

Basically, if you don't punch down, you're doing it right.

Nah. Crassly offensive comedy done well is an art in and of itself. Frankie Boyle is a national treasure, especially because people get positively apoplectic about his jokes, even when they are against powerful figures, and frankly ridiculous.

Also, the entire "punching down" analogy is ridiculous, both because "down" is highly ill-defined, and comparing free speech to physical violence is a dangerous and irresponsible call for censorship. The famous analogy of "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre!" was never actually referring to that, but was referring to those dastardly anti-draft advocates expressing a political opinion via leaflets. If we want to talk about violence, well, comparing speech to things that aren't speech (treason, violence, war against God, whatever) is a slippery slope to causing actual violence, both state sponsored and mob, against people for having the wrong opinions.

I think Mika was more referring to micers wondering why their abortion joke got more walk outs than usual rather than seasoned professionals like Boyle or Jeselnik.

Well, bad comedy is bad. "What's the difference between a dump truck full of bowling balls and a dump truck full of dead babies?" is hilarious in middle school, but doesn't age well past its ridiculousness.
    Also, as someone who performs comedy regularly, the punching down analogy is apt. Like it really doesn't take a genius to figure out why it's there.

You find that comics with less careful material send a lot of people to the emergency room?

There's a difference between telling jokes that make some people uncomfortable and kicking someone on the ground until they shit blood. Violence is violence. Being put out of your comfort zone is not.

nobody is saying it is actually like kicking or punching somebody, goddamn

Words mean things. If by "punch down," you don't want to draw even the slightest comparison with punching people, don't use the word punch.

For example, you could say, "Telling jokes which reinforce existing social stereotypes can lead to a bit more negative climate for people who are minorities," but that lacks the imagery of people imagining skinheads cornering an immigrant in an alleyway.

I've heard comedians mention it before. Matt Besser, one of the founders of UCB did a whole episode about it on his podcast. I guess the meaning could escape you if you were never exposed to it, but I don't think it's that offensive? Punch could be used figuratively.

I think? I'm not sure about anything anymore.

all i know is i punched the fuck out of crota last night

also thanks for the help. too bad my goddam headset wasn't working so i couldn't even hear you guys.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

O_o

that was my post

just to be clear that "the opinion" actually is only just my opinion and I don't actually represent the internet hate machine

D:

All of my assumptions

• Options
    If this caused them to starve or quit comedy it would be a little odd, but when you just made $128 mil selling your sitcom to Hulu I can understand not giving a shit about doing a show at bryn mawr

yeah but also on the other hand you made $128 mil selling your sitcom to Hulu so maybe work on some jokes that could go over well on a college campus instead of complaining about the PC police

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

i think it is technically assault

but it shouldn't be

Why shouldn't it be? It sounds quite serious.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

O_o

Just a few posts up somebody referred to him as a white guy who might not understand minorities.

Unless I misread?

with a caveat that he could definitely have experienced racism, sexism, prejudice, but that people react to white guys differently than black guys on those topics usually

guys you can just quote me directly if you want to actually discuss my opinion

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

If comedians don't want to tailor their creative output to a particular audiences taste, I don't see how that is weird or wrong

i disagree that art is somehow sacrosanct and we must always bow before the feet of the creator

You don't have to bow at his feet, but I don't find it strange someone wouldn't compromise their comedy to please everyone, even to play a few more (low paying) college shows

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    if jerry seinfeld is such a great comedian then he can certainly come up with college-appropriate material

Also this entire discussion is carried on my hate for jerry seinfeld and his role in Bee movie

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I wonder if flamboyant gay dudes get grief for hurting the movement or something.

Actually, that IS a thing that happens, and it's BS.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    if jerry seinfeld is such a great comedian then he can certainly come up with college-appropriate material

Also this entire discussion is carried on my hate for jerry seinfeld and his role in Bee movie

He couldn't win you back with The Marriage Ref?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

O_o

that was my post

Wait

SiG

You're not everyone?

I've been operating under massively inaccurate assumptions.

• Options
    I know we are discussing people overreacting to offensive comedy but Bee movie was quite literally racist as fuck

Jerry's bee finds out that the honey people eat is produced by enslaved bees, so he takes the beekeepers to court

the beekeepers are represented in court by a fat guy who looks like colonel sanders, who speaks with a southern drawl, and argues that the bees are "happier as slaves"

jerry wins the case, frees the bees, and then they all just laze around and do nothing while the world withers and dies

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

O_o

Just a few posts up somebody referred to him as a white guy who might not understand minorities.

Unless I misread?

with a caveat that he could definitely have experienced racism, sexism, prejudice, but that people react to white guys differently than black guys on those topics usually

On mobile, quoting sucks. Sorry!

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 2015

dhEjzGR.png

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    And today I learned something I did not know before about the LGBT community.

Huzzah!

Edit: Except it's kind of a bad thing which is less huzzah.

Quid on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I don't understand what is happening

I am afraid and alone

[chat] plz

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    @japan wut r u doin

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

But Seinfeld doesn't do that anyway?

• Options

You don't have to bow at his feet, but I don't find it strange someone wouldn't compromise their comedy to please everyone, even to play a few more (low paying) college shows

its mostly the complaining about it that bothers me

like, okay cool you wont compromise yourself to play these places

thats not like a sign of the moral decay of america due to the PC police

that is you not wanting to write new or different material to fit a particular audience

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i always get confused when comedians say things like "oh I can't tell these kinds of jokes at colleges anymore, I guess I won't do them"

isnt your job writing jokes

cant you like

make new ones, or tailor your material more appropriately

shit i mean I change what is in my lectures depending on my audience, and you guys are getting paid a lot more per hour of talking than i am

well, Jerry never did colleges anyway (which is one of the main reasons I find the original backlash to be so funny)

but I think a lot of the problem also comes from not knowing what is acceptable to do, especially in the age of every phone ever having a recording device. It only takes one person recording one bad audience reaction to a joke for Gawker to spin it into "noted comedian goes on hateful tirade against minorities" (pretty sure it was Chappelle complaining about this recently, and he doesn't do clubs anymore to work out material)

sure, the backlash is warranted with the likes of Dane Cook, Ari Shaffir and Michael Richards in recent times but it must be terrifying that one particularly bad day on the job could ruin your career and legacy forever

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    does being a good comedian require that you need to be able to appeal to a broad swatch of demographics? i don't think so

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    I don't understand what is happening

I am afraid and alone

[chat] plz

One moment, wazilla

I will bring you a calm, predictable spacepost to settle your constitution

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Grimrock II includes motherfucking digital sepia-toned graph paper for printing out

OUTSTANDING

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    does being a good comedian require that you need to be able to appeal to a broad swatch of demographics? i don't think so

it requires that you appeal to me, specifically

• Options

its mostly the complaining about it that bothers me

like, okay cool you wont compromise yourself to play these places

thats not like a sign of the moral decay of america due to the PC police

that is you not wanting to write new or different material to fit a particular audience

He was asked a question! And gave an honest response. It's not like he's running around complaining about this to anyone who'll listen

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

I would like to think that most comedians understand that if a certain group of people don't care for their content it's not some fault of that group.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    And today I learned something I did not know before about the LGBT community.

Huzzah!

Edit: Except it's kind of a bad thing which is less huzzah.

The LGBT community is exclusive as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

When I find another queer person we talk about broad social movements in an attempt to horrify straight people in our party

• Options
    my statements arent about whether or not you are a good or bad comedian

margaret cho doesn't complain about the anti pc police not letting her do her bits at the republican convention

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

No jury would convict.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/us/amish-sect-leaders-conviction-is-overturned-in-hair-cutting-attacks.html?_r=0

hm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

I would like to think that most comedians understand that if a certain group of people don't care for their content it's not some fault of that group.

It can be funny to pretend it is though!

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    ok i am leaving now

Bee (the movie) excellent to each other

yes i stole your tagline narwhal suck it

• Options

O_o

Unless I misread?

On mobile, quoting sucks. Sorry!

Then type my name! :p

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    ok i am leaving now

Bee (the movie) excellent to each other

yes i stole your tagline narwhal suck it

there's a serious lack of :bzz: in this thread

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
This discussion has been closed.