As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

howto[chat]

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Is there a law against cutting someone's hair without their consent

What does their hair look like?

It's a video of people driving around cutting off people's man buns

No jury would convict.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/us/amish-sect-leaders-conviction-is-overturned-in-hair-cutting-attacks.html?_r=0

hm.

His name was Mr. Mullet....

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    wazilla wrote: »
    I don't understand what is happening

I am afraid and alone

[chat] plz

Your [chat] hive mother and I, your [chat] hive father, are going to be living separately from now on.

It doesn't mean we love you any less but you will be spending about 20% of your life from now on on long train rides by yourself.

Gim on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    ok i am leaving now

Bee (the movie) excellent to each other

yes i stole your tagline narwhal suck it

Haha joke's on you this has been my goal all along!

Be excellent to yourself, Landshark! <3

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Apple didn't think entirely through the glance detection on the watch when it comes to showing it to other people. Mostly someone is like, wow an apple watch, can I see it?!

And then you turn the screen towards them and nothing happens. And you give your wrist a little flourish and point it at them and the screen turns on for a split second, then goes dark. And you stand behind them and wrap your arms around them and smell their hair and hold the watch up like you would when you look at it and the device comes to life like its supposed to then you get a half chub and it pokes your coworker and you get fired.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    there is a big ass comedy festival launch party in town tonight but i wasn't exclusive enough to get an invite

arguing about comedy on the internet is better anyway
    :(

Gim wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    I don't understand what is happening

I am afraid and alone

[chat] plz

Your [chat] hive mother and I, your hive father, are going to be living separately from now on.

It doesn't mean we love you any less but you will be spending about 20% of your life from now on on train rides by yourself.

This got too real at the end

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Apple didn't think entirely through the glance detection on the watch when it comes to showing it to other people. Mostly someone is like, wow an apple watch, can I see it?!

And then you turn the screen towards them and nothing happens. And you give your wrist a little flourish and point it at them and the screen turns on for a split second, then goes dark. And you stand behind them and wrap your arms around them and smell their hair and hold the watch up like you would when you look at it and the device comes to life like its supposed to then you get a half chub and it pokes your coworker and you get fired.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215541722_TjFUM/0/1050x10000/215541722_TjFUM-1050x10000.jpg

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Monkey Business

also i typed up a long response to a question about Dublin on r/standup and someone thanked me for being so informative, which was nice

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Is there a law against cutting someone's hair without their consent

What does their hair look like?

It's a video of people driving around cutting off people's man buns

No jury would convict.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/us/amish-sect-leaders-conviction-is-overturned-in-hair-cutting-attacks.html?_r=0

hm.

In a just world, having a neckbeard would be a sentencing enhancement.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    if anyone has a discover it card: double cashback for the next 12 months if you call and enroll (takes 30 seconds, no fees or anything). also multiplies the 5% rotating categories. the next ones (july until oct i think) are dept stores, home improvement stores i think, and amazon.

so for the next 3 months you'd get 10% back on all amazon purchases up to $1,500 of spend. p sick deal.

@Shazkar Shadowstorm

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Have any of you guys had experiences with 1-800 accountant? We're getting offered a fairly cheap package for the LLC but I don't know if just getting a local CPA would be a way better investment. I took the free consultation but the guy sounded more like a salesman than an accountant.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    what is the seinfeld thing

he made a comment in an interview about how political correctness, especially in colleges, is killing comedy

people got offended at the idea of someone thinking they're too easily offended, basically

There aren't really any boundaries in comedy, but crassly offensive humor is the crutch of the shitty comic.

Basically, if you don't punch down, you're doing it right.

Nah. Crassly offensive comedy done well is an art in and of itself. Frankie Boyle is a national treasure, especially because people get positively apoplectic about his jokes, even when they are against powerful figures, and frankly ridiculous.

Also, the entire "punching down" analogy is ridiculous, both because "down" is highly ill-defined, and comparing free speech to physical violence is a dangerous and irresponsible call for censorship. The famous analogy of "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre!" was never actually referring to that, but was referring to those dastardly anti-draft advocates expressing a political opinion via leaflets. If we want to talk about violence, well, comparing speech to things that aren't speech (treason, violence, war against God, whatever) is a slippery slope to causing actual violence, both state sponsored and mob, against people for having the wrong opinions.

I think Mika was more referring to micers wondering why their abortion joke got more walk outs than usual rather than seasoned professionals like Boyle or Jeselnik.

Well, bad comedy is bad. "What's the difference between a dump truck full of bowling balls and a dump truck full of dead babies?" is hilarious in middle school, but doesn't age well past its ridiculousness.
    Also, as someone who performs comedy regularly, the punching down analogy is apt. Like it really doesn't take a genius to figure out why it's there.

You find that comics with less careful material send a lot of people to the emergency room?

There's a difference between telling jokes that make some people uncomfortable and kicking someone on the ground until they shit blood. Violence is violence. Being put out of your comfort zone is not.

nobody is saying it is actually like kicking or punching somebody, goddamn

Words mean things. If by "punch down," you don't want to draw even the slightest comparison with punching people, don't use the word punch.

For example, you could say, "Telling jokes which reinforce existing social stereotypes can lead to a bit more negative climate for people who are minorities," but that lacks the imagery of people imagining skinheads cornering an immigrant in an alleyway.

I've heard comedians mention it before. Matt Besser, one of the founders of UCB did a whole episode about it on his podcast. I guess the meaning could escape you if you were never exposed to it, but I don't think it's that offensive? Punch could be used figuratively.

I think? I'm not sure about anything anymore.

all i know is i punched the fuck out of crota last night

also thanks for the help. too bad my goddam headset wasn't working so i couldn't even hear you guys.

You should get a new one, but we don't need to talk for Crota. It was pretty funny how that worked out, though, because I joined, saw that celery was solo, sent him an invite to join, one of his friends saw him in a raid with a spot opened, and then he joined.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    hey gim, have you listened to this Single Mothers album?

it is baller

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    omfg

i went downstairs and there was a toblerone

i took a piece

its dark chocolate toblerone

ive been betrayed......................

obF2Wuw.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I had a lolApple moment today. I was fasting for a blood draw, and so I was hungry. The GF wanted salad so she looked up a salad place on her phone, and we found parking nearby the place she looked up. But when we went to the address, it was a bare parking lot. I looked it up on my phone, and it did not exist. We're going "WTF is this a phone from another dimension?"

It turns out that I was using Google Maps, which correctly indicated that we were near a parking lot. She was using Apple's Maps app, which incorrectly showed a delicious salad bar, even pinning a location for it directly on satellite footage of a bare parking lot.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png

it is baller

By Justin Townes Earle? I have not.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    If he used like a Jewish mother waving off bad liver or something people would of said nothing about it because Jerry is a Jew.

I don't know the joke wasn't that awful. It wasn't that funny. But considering the conversation before and after it worked.

Comedy is about timing and the timing worked even made me crack a small smile.

I think text readings of stuff like this, unless it was written in text at first, will probably miss a lot of a situation that makes the joke work.

Jerry is white, he can't be an oppressed minority. It screws up the narrative!

O_o

Spool you're doing that thing where you're arguing against something no one else at all has claimed.

Just a few posts up somebody referred to him as a white guy who might not understand minorities.

Unless I misread?

with a caveat that he could definitely have experienced racism, sexism, prejudice, but that people react to white guys differently than black guys on those topics usually

guys you can just quote me directly if you want to actually discuss my opinion

On mobile, quoting sucks. Sorry!

Then type my name! :p

Even finding a post is annoying!

Outsourcing that work like a corporate boss

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    CHAFBDIWoAAsLNN.jpg:large

obF2Wuw.png

@syndalis left the corporate world just in time

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/10/8762833/verge-esp-kim-stanley-robinson-aurora-apple-music-mental-illness

At 33 minutes Kim Stanley Robinson talks about his writing and such.

I really like him as an author. Guess the next book is about a generation ship.

u7stthr17eud.png

it is baller

Nah, they're a Canadian hardcore band which sound kinda like Code Orange/Converge with cleaner vocals

I caught them live at a fest about two weeks ago without having heard them and they were visceral, the album lives up to that

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I had a lolApple moment today. I was fasting for a blood draw, and so I was hungry. The GF wanted salad so she looked up a salad place on her phone, and we found parking nearby the place she looked up. But when we went to the address, it was a bare parking lot. I looked it up on my phone, and it did not exist. We're going "WTF is this a phone from another dimension?"

It turns out that I was using Google Maps, which correctly indicated that we were near a parking lot. She was using Apple's Maps app, which incorrectly showed a delicious salad bar, even pinning a location for it directly on satellite footage of a bare parking lot.

Did I tell you about how apple maps failed to give me correct directions to the Google office?

That happened!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I would find several of these to be completely believable British bird names.

So, maybe y'all have heard of the Western tourists who were detained by Malaysian officials after posing nude on a mountaintop, which was followed about a week later by a devastating earthquake in the region.

This is my favourite response so far:

PVIJYyp.jpg

I am laughing uncontrollably at Judi Dench Night Terror and I have no idea why

it is baller

Nah, they're a Canadian hardcore band which sound kinda like Code Orange/Converge with cleaner vocals

I caught them live at a fest about two weeks ago without having heard them and they were visceral, the album lives up to that

Ah, got it. I'll check 'em out, thanks!

Also, I am quite taken by the description of Band Members on their Wikipedia entry:
    By 2013, Single Mothers had "been through no fewer than 16 members."

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    If he used like a Jewish mother waving off bad liver or something people would of said nothing about it because Jerry is a Jew.

I don't know the joke wasn't that awful. It wasn't that funny. But considering the conversation before and after it worked.

Comedy is about timing and the timing worked even made me crack a small smile.

I think text readings of stuff like this, unless it was written in text at first, will probably miss a lot of a situation that makes the joke work.

Jerry is white, he can't be an oppressed minority. It screws up the narrative!

O_o

Spool you're doing that thing where you're arguing against something no one else at all has claimed.

Just a few posts up somebody referred to him as a white guy who might not understand minorities.

Unless I misread?

with a caveat that he could definitely have experienced racism, sexism, prejudice, but that people react to white guys differently than black guys on those topics usually

guys you can just quote me directly if you want to actually discuss my opinion

On mobile, quoting sucks. Sorry!

Then type my name! :p

Too long. You need to come up something short to be know by.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I am laughing uncontrollably at Judi Dench Night Terror and I have no idea why

"Swan" killed me

i think it's the look on the bird's face

it's like "you fucking idiot"

Lh96QHG.png
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

How many of those has @Neco tried to date?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    I... I don't think sports fans pray to their teams and players, or believe they have mystical powers.

It's early, and I want to do nothing but play Sunset Overdrive all day. That game is unnaturally good.

I feel this way about Destiny.

Despite the fact that I hate, hate, hate how little narrative it offers.

@Atomika here's what I posted about narrative in Destiny, before it came out.
    I just read a Destiny hands-on, and it had one section titled "STORYTELLING." C'mon, Bungie. C'mon. Let's not kid ourselves.
    "We want to provide a place that is familiar to players, a place that feels like home," said Parsons. "Once they feel like they're at home, we're gonna throw a bunch of crazy stuff at them. You know, big structures that have been eroded by time. Large alien structures. People see that, and they're like, 'wow, that just looks epic, that looks like something I want to be a part of.' And our hope is, whether you see a piece of concept art or a screenshot or movie or, most importantly, playing the game, you say, 'that's just a place I want to be. I want to spend time there.'"
    "We can really tell stories through the environment," said Osborne. "Whether it's the wind moving through the trees or derelict planes with broken hulls and rust with enemies scavenging it. We've always prided ourselves on our ability to give people enough to let their imaginations run wild through the world. We add a lot of visual language that tells stories."

You know what, never mind, I take it back. If this means "we will not use any words," then I'm 100% behind this.

It's what I want out of Bungie games. But somehow I was just thinking about this while taking a shower - are you a mind reader? - and I would really like to read the Destiny novel. Of course it would be interesting if the game explored its full narrative in-game, but I think that requires a pretty big redesign of the structure of it. In House of Wolves you're basically putting down an insurrection against a brutal monarch. In the arena, you're executing prisoners for sport.

I'm sure it could be done, but part of me thinks they don't want to deal with those narrative constraints during mission design and whatnot.

I think the most frustrating part is how Destiny actually has a narrative going on, but, like, 98% of it is presented as texture laid atop of the gameplay. It forces the player to put the narrative together themselves (if they so choose), and for someone who isn't big on narrative, it's probably a godsend, but for someone who loves a good narrative, it's teeth-grinding. To make things worse, you get the occasional snippet of cinematic and it's just gorgeous and full of allusion to some really interesting shit going on, but the game never really wants to put any of this in the foreground.

For players like me, this actually takes some of the excitement of the game away, as hugely important boss battles are treated with the same lack of emphasis as any random patrol mission. I want to feel more immersed in this really interesting world, and it would make my enjoyment of the game go up tenfold, which considering how much fun I'm having already, I can't even imagine.

I'm actually way into it. Reading the grimoires, and different timeline reconstructions of all the major events of the pre-collapse, collapse, and city age. I just never trusted Bungie to deliver these to me in game in any kind of way I'd enjoy. There was also the practical consideration that 90% of the time I spend in the game is with 3-6 other people, and so exposition heavy storytelling would just be a disaster. House of Wolves made me change my mind a bit, I suppose. Dinklage got a lot of undeserved crap thrown his way, those lines were terrible, still he wasn't particularly interesting to listen to. Same with all the famous VA they got to do the mentors. Dee Bradley Baker as Variks and April Stewart as Petra really owned all their lines, got better dialogue, and seemed to be pretty well directed. I wouldn't mind seeing them try to deliver more narrative in that vein in subsequent expansions.

But of course they'd have to reconcile everything the guardians have been doing with the grimoire materials that never get dealt with in the game. Fallen Ghost Fragment 3 comes to mind.
    Ask them our name. Ask your masters what they call you. Ask the hollow, the hateful, the Awoken with alien dreams encysted in them! Ask them our name!

Fallen. They name us Fallen.

Listen to me, Wolf-born! Heed me, Whirlwind-scattered! I am the ghost of Cybele, the cunning claw of Iris, betrayed, chained, encrypted by the Queen, sent back from the Darkness to save us all! The days of Kell and House end now. The calendar of slavery and abasement goes to the fire. We are a new calendar! We are an age of beginnings! Each of us is a day!

I am the first, Kell of Kells, and I am the last, the Dreg of Dregs. I have conquered and been conquered. I am all of us and all of us are I. In the shape of my life I bind up all of us, all of our fury, all of our grief, all the lives we have wasted against each other. Together we speak our new name.

Remember the hope that brought us here. Remember the age before the Whirlwind, when ether ran free, when we ruled ourselves and our futures as kings. We wanted more than glimmer and glints and herealways. Always remember that we came to this star in hope. And remember that we were denied! Remember the City of the Death of Children, the City That Docks, which claimed for itself the Great Machine that might have saved us. Remember the City that even now sends its ghouls to murder our Primes, starve our ether, and leave our young to die gasping. Curse that City and its name. The curse is just.

We gathered to take that City and save ourselves from extinction, saying to each other, we must be a storm, a Whirlwind, a darkness, for it is said that only pain may be stolen from the dark, and we can let no more be stolen from us. We gathered to fight against our twilight, King and Devil and Winter, all of us but us, the Wolves. Why? What kept us from the Gap?

The Reef. The Queen. The slavers who played us against each other and docked us into subservience. These sly sterile un-people, these mirages with cold minds twinned to their own, these Carybdis butchers, they set us against each other. She played us. She made herself our Kell.

We were fools, o children of the Whirlwind. We fought each other when we most needed unity. I fought my rivals when I should have fought the Queen. But I remember now, my dregs, my captains, my Kells, each of us is all of us and I remember: we are a people of resilience. I am the Kell of Kells because I want what we have lost. I am the Dreg of Dregs because I remember that a dreg will grow back what is lost to him.

Ask them my name! Ask them with the shock blade and the shrapnel launcher! Ask them with the skiff and the ketch! Ask your masters by what right they master you, you who have been hardened by centuries of flight, you who inherit the Whirlwind! Ask the Queen for her throne!

Ask them our name. Let them answer: you are Skolas, Kell of Kells. You are Fallen no more.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    I... I don't think sports fans pray to their teams and players, or believe they have mystical powers.

Are you sure?

u7stthr17eud.png

Just believing that the maple leafs will do anything is similar.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

you have never met a sports fan

Lh96QHG.png

Don't insult my religion, please.

smCQ5WE.jpg

I literally yelled "You're my new god!" at a player at the baseball game today

He had just hit a home run, I was pretty excited

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Did I tell you about how apple maps failed to give me correct directions to the Google office?

That happened!
    Nice!

I think the best comment was "Wow, this place has a lot of parking! We didn't need to park a block away..."

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    And yes, believing in the Maple Leafs year after year absolutely requires an act of faith on par with believing in a benevolent, omnipotent being.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Well believing a Toronto team will be number one in anything is pretty delusional.

This discussion has been closed.