As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

1939495969799»

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    They were never alignment-restricted, but some of the weapons were and still are. I remember having an assassin with a green crystal waaay back when, and she wasn't an especially nice lady.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hah hah hah

When did they make basic color crystals no longer alignment restricted? I can't believe I never noticed that, was it recent or something? I always thought it was so silly that the jedi and sith didn't just loyalty test people by randomly handing them a faction appropriate lightsaber and saying "Equip it!"

Which is to say nothing about troopers, smugglers, agents, and bounty hunters who find themselves mysteriously unable to fire red laser blasters because they are too nice.

Oh they haven't been alignment restricted for a while now.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    They were never alignment-restricted, but some of the weapons were and still are. I remember having an assassin with a green crystal waaay back when, and she wasn't an especially nice lady.

I swear they were...

And as far as using regular crystals, once you get to level 50 the regular crystals are just as good as the cartel ones. My Inquisitor uses a regular crystal, it happens to go perfectly with his outfit where none of the cartel ones I have available do. And no stat loss, because it's a level 50 crystal.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think they might have been alignment restricted in beta, or maybe during the first couple of months of the game?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I think they might have been alignment restricted in beta, or maybe during the first couple of months of the game?

Or I'm just losing it. Always a possibility!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    People still use basic color crystals?

White Hawkeye master race.

f@u.

I've only got an indestructible one of those, and have been eying a white-black hawkeye for nigh on a year and a half now.

Still can't afford it.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Courtesy of Ootinicast ep. 208
    This fan-made video stitches together SWTOR’s original CGI trailers (created by Blur Studio) into a seamless narrative...
    (Spoilerd, because ... Can you handle 13 minutes of concentrated awesome?)

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Anyone on Ebon Hawk have a Refer-A-Friend link I could use?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »
    Anyone on Ebon Hawk have a Refer-A-Friend link I could use?

http://www.swtor.com/r/hgJJc2

• Options
  • Options
    The number of otherwise excellent cartel armors that are ruined by buttflaps is distressing.

Does anyone actually want buttflaps, on anything?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    The number of otherwise excellent cartel armors that are ruined by buttflaps is distressing.

Nope. No one is clamoring for buttflaps. But it's a really consistent design choice of Bioware, not just in this game. I was annoyed with Dragon Age inquisition, because one of the better inquisitor armors in that game has the ol' buttflap, and of course if you play a character with a wide butt it automatically clips. I'd really like to know why they do it.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    One of the modelers is a bit of a dick and really likes to troll the player base with buttflaps? That is the only explanation I can come up with.

• Options

Yes. Exactly one person in all the world.

Unfortunately, this person works at Bioware as a costume designer.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Yes. Exactly one person in all the world.

Unfortunately, this person works at Bioware as a costume designer.

I googled the issue and started reading threads on the official forums that discuss the issue. And, unsurprisingly, there have been quite a few threads complaining about this over the years, including many where a particular costume is being lamented for its unfortunate buttflaps.

But just as you would expect, there is at least one person in each of the threads insisting that the buttflaps are wonderful and must remain as is.

I honestly believe that if an MMO company sent out random hitsquads to customers houses and murdered them every month there would be people on the forum insisting the program was excellent and must be left as is.

• Options
    Well I just started a thread to complain about it if anyone wants to post in it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8243572#post8243572

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think it can work in certain cases, Thana's armor looks better with the buttflap imo.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I'm more distressed that every Cartel Pack since Shae's have had TURRIBLE armor.

The current one has that pretty boss Stalker armor but it's ruined by random glowy bits.

My Kingdom for a nice clean Classic Phanom set.

• Options
    Well I just started a thread to complain about it if anyone wants to post in it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8243572#post8243572

I will post in support of this later today.

• Options
    And you are dead on about the Primeval Stalker Jacket. It looks so cool!

Until you spin your character around and see that there is an inexplicable huge buttflap just to make sure there's something to clip through half the mounts in the game.

• Options
    I do really like the Dynamic Brawler suit from the latest pack. It does have a backpack, unfortunately. But it's not a huge backpack and it doesn't look awful.

• Options
    The buttflaps aren't so much an issue as the clipping is

I mean, lots of the emotes accommodate them without clipping, I'm not sure why the mounts don't

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    The buttflaps aren't so much an issue as the clipping is

I mean, lots of the emotes accommodate them without clipping, I'm not sure why the mounts don't

I think they're both an issue. Yeah the clipping sucks, and they really should design around the problem if they aren't going to fix it. But even if there was no clipping at all, I think a buttflap on every single piece of armor is overdoing it. Even they know it's not that great of a design, because when they use the chest pieces on NPCs they usually get rid of the parts of the armor that are below the belt, like when Lana Beniko wears the Zayne Carrick chest it doesn't include the ugly little bottom half, and the chest looks 100% better that way.

• Options
    I feel like someone in Bioware needs to explain to designers that though their drawings of these things look really nice probably, the engine is not at all good at rendering them.

• Options
    I feel like someone in Bioware needs to explain to designers that though their drawings of these things look really nice probably, the engine is not at all good at rendering them.

Yeah, this.

Capes look cool in real life. In this engine they look derpy, and I refuse to wear anything that has one. I'm sure their drawings of those costumes look great, but even on ultra settings the capes just look so bad.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    This x12 exp on story missions is so amazing, is this a permanent thing for subscribers now?

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    This x12 exp on story missions is so amazing, is this a permanent thing for subscribers now?

Until the fall.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I like buttflaps.

I do not like them clipping through everything.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Astale wrote: »
    I like buttflaps.

Away with thee!

Orca on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Get hyped for Monday:
    Dulfy.net wrote:
    According to the EA press release released today, SWTOR’s next expansion will be called Knights of the Fallen Empire with more details to be revealed on monday.

The E3 presentation will start on 1 PM PDT/3 PM CDT/4 PM EDT on Monday June 15.
    • Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ – The largest story-driven expansion to date, Knights of the Fallen Empire, marks a renewed focus on cinematic storytelling in Star Wars: The Old Republic. The expansion will deliver on the hallmarks of what makes a great BioWare™ game: new worlds to explore, new companions to recruit, and a dynamic story that players will be able to shape based on the choices they make.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Get hyped for Monday:
    Dulfy.net wrote:
    According to the EA press release released today, SWTOR’s next expansion will be called Knights of the Fallen Empire with more details to be revealed on monday.

The E3 presentation will start on 1 PM PDT/3 PM CDT/4 PM EDT on Monday June 15.
    • Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ – The largest story-driven expansion to date, Knights of the Fallen Empire, marks a renewed focus on cinematic storytelling in Star Wars: The Old Republic. The expansion will deliver on the hallmarks of what makes a great BioWare™ game: new worlds to explore, new companions to recruit, and a dynamic story that players will be able to shape based on the choices they make.

I honestly could do without new companions if they'd just give some new fucking lines to the old ones (beyond the romance options, HK, and Treek), but this still sounds really cool.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Things I want from it that they'll never add:

More weapon choices for existing classes (bounty hunters able to use rifles, commandos not being punished for using rifles, etc)
    Animation updates (shot effects should always be determined by the crystal color, damnit!)
    Some free roam space stuff but in a non-sucky-GSF way
    Outfit designer for companions
    Player ships as strongholds
    A boss that dies after accidentally stabbing himself through the eye with massive shoulderspikes

Things I want that they *could maybe* add:
    Maybe get back to that galactic war thing that we haven't done in awhile?

As for the companions lacking new lines, that always bothered me! They got them in to record some intro stuff and like one environmental comment each, why not add some damn dialog to the rest of the conversations?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I want my friggin hood option

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    So it looks the next major SWToR expect, Knights of the Fallen Empire, is going to be announced Monday at E3. Apparently, it's big/important enough that BW felt the need to pre-render some teasers:

(spoiler for image and commentary)
    SWTOR_Sacrifice.jpg

No idea what's going on there, but it looks like a frame from a cinematic. The tile of the image "SWTOR_Sacrifice.jpg".

My best guess is that twin Sith Lords who enjoy high-contrast wardrobe matching are about to decapitate a Jedi.

From the EA press release about their press conference:

"Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ – The largest story-driven expansion to date, Knights of the Fallen Empire, marks a renewed focus on cinematic storytelling in Star Wars: The Old Republic. The expansion will deliver on the hallmarks of what makes a great BioWare™ game: new worlds to explore, new companions to recruit, and a dynamic story that players will be able to shape based on the choices they make."

• Options
    So I was waiting for some armor mods to finish on my BH, who is my cybertech, and I was bored so I popped out Skadge.

I then stuck him in a full set of Handmaiden's armor, which I have in my collection and let him stand there. Three seconds later I get the first comment in general chat about it.

• Options