As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Phallafly - The End, Village - and half the Mafia - Victory

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    ROLES

Alliance Informant
    You are the Alliance Informants! The game is over and you win if Alliance Informants outnumber the remaining players.

Powers:

Bring in for questioning (two Kills per night). Players targeted with this will have their characters permanently incarcerated or killed, and the players are removed from the game.
    Control of the Alliance Cruiser. Select a region of Core (blue) space for the Alliance Cruiser to patrol. All Outlaw Ships that pass through that region will be stopped and searched. For each Warrant, the ship must pay $1000 credits (Warrants are then cleared). All Contraband & Fugitives are seized. If there is a Bounty issued for any character on that ship, there is a 1 in 6 chance that character will be captured (as if by Bounty). No Payout is generated for this capture.

Reavers
    You are a Reaver! The galaxy is your oyster, and you’re going to gobble it up then sew its shiny shell onto your clothes. You win when only Reavers are left.

Powers:

Chow Down (one Kill, every other night). The player targeted with this will have their character devoured, and the player will be removed from the game.
    Raise Up (one Convert, every other night). The player targeted with this will have their character converted into a Reaver, and the player’s goal will change to be your own.
    Control of the Reaver Cutter. Select a region of Fringe (red) space for the Reaver Cutter to patrol. All ships that pass through that region will have their Passengers and Fugitives killed and then be subjected to a Fight Skill Test. Based on the result of this Test, either 1 or 2 Crew will be Incapacitated. Ships with a Pilot and Mechanic can avoid this encounter by spending 1 Fuel.

SPECIAL: You may only target players in the same region of space as either a living Reaver or the Reaver Cutter for Raise Up.

Spacer
    Take me out, to the black, tell ‘em I ain’t comin’ back.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can’t take the sky from me.

You’re just a regular Spacer, trying to get by in this ‘verse, by fist or by wit. You win if all threats to Spacers are eliminated.

Mason
    Ain’t everyday that you find another Spacer that you can trust out here in the black, but the two of you have had each other’s backs for as long as you can remember. And that ain’t nothin’.

(You are a Mason pair.)

Seer
    Folk say you’ve got the sight. You’re not sure about that, but every once and a while you know something you shouldn’t be able to. Best keep your mouth quiet about that. While other Spacers would understand, you imagine that other folk in the ‘verse wouldn’t be so forgiving.

(Action: Once per night, learn the Role of another player.)

Apprentice Seer
    Now, you wouldn’t presume to say that you can read minds. But fact is, at the right time of day, under the right conditions.. you could swear that other folk’s thoughts come to you clear as sunlight. Right now, of course, you’re just a regular Spacer like everybody else. But soon, maybe, you’ll be something more.

(You are the Apprentice Seer. If the Seer dies, you gain the following power:
    Action: Once per night, learn the Role of another player.)

Vigilante
    Six men came to kill you one time. The very best of them carried this. It's a Callahan fullbore autolock, with a customized trigger and double cartridge thorough-gauge.

It's your very favorite gun.

Now, ideally, you use it to defend your fellow Spacers. Just keep that in mind when you go sightin’ down that fancy reticle.

(Action: Once per night, target another player to Kill their character. The player will be removed from the game.)

Apprentice Vigilante
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.

Well, it will be. In time. Right now, of course, you’re just a regular Spacer like everybody else. But soon, maybe, you’ll be something more.

(You are the Apprentice Vigilante. If the Vigilante dies, you gain the following power:
    Action: Once per night, learn the Role of another player.)

jdarksun on
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Yes thanks for running!!!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the game but the late Alliance Spacer victory makes me sad we killed so many in the beginning.

Idk if I'd say the two systems meshed well. I had fun, but the retirement mechanic made cooperation the best route.

I'd love to play a full game of just Firefly, that's for damn sure.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    @Bedlam deserves a lot of credit for not just killing me when i revealed to him. If he just turned me in at that time, the communication channel between mafia and moneybags probably wouldn't have happened.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • GarickGarick Registered User regular
    Thanks for running JDarksun, that was alot of fun. I'm surprised that there were no guards, meaning we could have outright killed obi at any time. Well, this ending was for the best I think... If Zoe wasn't rescued in the end, it woulda been a cool freaky alternate firefly universe where I was the only main character who survived, but this is happiest for Wash. Sorry btw Mal, I wasn't going to have you arrested orginally, but that last minute vote shenanigans convinced me otherwise.

Five Ws.

1. What the hell were you thinking?
    "Gee," I said to myself. "It's been a while since I ran a Phalla. Seems like now would be a good time!" That was not the best of ideas, for one simple reason: this game had too much for me to do. Processing player actions took 2-3 hours every night, and that was with streamlining the game! Yikes!

This game had a few goals.

1. Reward participation. The whole Firefly portion was to draw in more participation from more players. I feel like Phalla sometimes gets on autopilot, hence the "fluff" to spice things up. Furthermore, the Captain mechanic was designed to capture the highly engaged players and give them something more to work with. They were objectively better characters than the Crew, and targeting them hurt the Village. This was by design; if you're engaged and participating, you should be rewarded.

2. Conflicting loyalties. The Village couldn't trust each other; Captains could (and did!) turn in their own crew for Bounties (side note: Bounties were, in fact, intended to be lethal). The Mafia had to remain suspicious of each other, as they could retire just as easily as the Village (side note: figure out some way in-game to prevent the Mafia from selling the other's names to the highest bidder). There were even conversions! Every other night, the Reavers could covert a non-Mafia/non-Mason to their side.

3. Start folk off in a soft network. The ships did exactly that, and fostered wonderful conflicting loyalties between the Crew and the rest of the players (Village and Mafia alike).

2. What went well?
    Amazing engagement, especially in the first few days from some of the core players. I must have received 100+ PMs from Langly and Baidol alone. I feel like the Captains were sufficiently rewarded for their extra effort with extra agency, but my view of it may be skewed. What did you think of this mechanic? The Village put aside their differences with the Mafia and bought them out, which was a valid tactic and they decided to take it. It was intended to be an "escape switch" so that active Villagers and Mafia could still win even if things weren't going their way towards the end of the game, but hey, active and thinking players are active and thinking players.

3. What didn't go so well?
    Way too much time invested by myself, it wasn't sustainable and wasn't fun. I gave up writing narrations on half the nights. I dropped random encounters entirely, negating the usefulness of Salvage Ops and making it MUCH harder to come back from Piracy.

4. What could be improved?
    All the nightly shit should have been automated. It was programmatic, I could have written a web app to do it for me, I just hadn't done that by the time I started the game - and I didn't have the time to do so once things were running!

5. What did you think?
    I really dig the Game A/Game B stuff, but maybe that's not as popular as I think it is. Would you be interested in playing more games like this one?

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I would argue that the B game meant the A game never really got played after the first few days. I liked starting people off with a soft network. Perhaps this could be done again, but the B game provides powers instead of victory.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    I was going to say, lethal bounties would of made things more interesting.

I'd love another game like this! I think there some kinks and balance issues, but other wise it worked well and was fun.

Or just Firefly. Like I said before, it was really fun.

Idk if I'd say the two systems meshed well. I had fun, but the retirement mechanic made cooperation the best route.
    I'll admit that it was an odd thing to bring into a game of Mafia, but think about it thematically: the Alliance Informants literally had the Village working for them. Villagers turned each other in for Bounties in order to get the Alliance Informants enough money to retire.

That is fascinating, and in some ways arguably more of a Mafia victory than a Village victory.

Garick wrote: »
    Thanks for running JDarksun, that was alot of fun. I'm surprised that there were no guards, meaning we could have outright killed obi at any time.
    Yup! Invincible net heads are no fun, so I don't like to include both guards and seers.

Fun fact: the mafia had convinced themselves there was a guard because on Day 2 there was no Reaver kill. That's because Night 2 was the quiet conversion (kime -> shalmelo). There wasn't a Vig kill on Day 3, because the Vig and Mafia double tapped SLyM, and on Day 4 they double tapped Void Slayer!

Pretty funny to me behind the scenes.

It is, but again lethal bounties would of made more sense. Perhaps with a higher payout, more available at a time, and way for anyone to turn them in (like secretly calling in an Alliance Crusier and getting paid as they take off) woild of made it more interesting. As is, turning myself in as a net gain for the Alliance lore and game wise and a game win for Spacer. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it earlier.

Also, maybe allow for more organic factions? Alliance informants can build their own cells and go after each other (perhaps they still have bounties due to the secrecy of the program), Alliance defects back to spacer. That kind of stuff.

• GarickGarick Registered User regular
    As far as the A game B game, as a non-captain, I felt we never really were playing the B game so much as simply being effected by it, often in unknown ways... I imagine being a capt was a lot more fun. That said, it made for some pretty awesome RP for crew conversations. I do like the A game B game format though!

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    As far as the A game B game, as a non-captain, I felt we never really were playing the B game so much as simply being effected by it, often in unknown ways... I imagine being a capt was a lot more fun. That said, it made for some pretty awesome RP for crew conversations. I do like the A game B game format though!

This got me thinking and the crew should have the choice to fully commit to their captain (lending all their skills to the current job) or do sidework (only 1/2 their skills go to the current job but they make some personal cash) that'd be an interesting choice for each crewmember to make each night.

ObiFett on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Here are the mafia boards. They should be open:

http://alliancesnitches.freeforums.net/

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Thanks for running JDarksun, that was alot of fun. I'm surprised that there were no guards, meaning we could have outright killed obi at any time.
    Yup! Invincible net heads are no fun, so I don't like to include both guards and seers.

Fun fact: the mafia had convinced themselves there was a guard because on Day 2 there was no Reaver kill. That's because Night 2 was the quiet conversion (kime -> shalmelo). There wasn't a Vig kill on Day 3, because the Vig and Mafia double tapped SLyM, and on Day 4 they double tapped Void Slayer!

:|

(In your position I'd have been amused too, but in retrospect that was basically the moment this stopped being a mafia game and became a Firefly-themed bribery simulator.)

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I felt that the Phalla side of this game was never played.
    The first few days, voting was dominated by what seemed to be soft faction voting determined entirely by the Firefly game.
    Then the mafia revealed to one ship and worked at building on those soft factions to get money and win through the Firefly game.

I think that if they had not revealed in this fashion, then the game would've hinged entirely on the effectiveness of the seers, with the voting continuing to be dominated by faction politics rather than any mafia/non-mafia motives and therefore useless as a village tool.

edited June 2015
    I'll have more on this tomorrow, but that was basically my drama with Bedlam.

He was our vig and I was trying to appeal to him to care about finding mafia. His answer was that his whole ship was gonna retire. Which obviously I pushed back on because he was our vig!

Once the rest of the crew made it clear they were just gonna retire the mafia I was on board with that plan.

BUT! Even if they had all wanted to retire that was their choice and technically playing to a wincon. Nothing wrong with that. But as the nethead, I kind of had a duty to push back on that and make them accountable to the village. Nothing wrong with that either, IMO.

ObiFett on
    It wasn't super clear that turning in bounties killed people .. had I known that I probably wouldn't have pushed the bribe the mafia route.
    But I'm glad it turned out ok in the end - tons of cash floating around apparently.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    There wasn't a Vig kill on Day 3, because the Vig and Mafia double tapped SLyM, and on Day 4 they double tapped Void Slayer!

got some grudging to do.

I honestly think this would have been a lot better as either a straight phalla or a straight firefly game, having half the players playing one and half the other made it really weird, IMO.

Still had fun though

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Yeah, I didn't think bounties killed people either. The OP just says they are incapped and incapped people can still vote and use phalla powers.

• SepahSepah Registered User regular
    Well, thank you kindly, village and obifett. So glad we were able to amicably part ways.

And thanks for running this, jdark. I wasn't able to be as active as I'd have liked, due to work interference, but still had some fun.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    @Bedlam deserves a lot of credit for not just killing me when i revealed to him. If he just turned me in at that time, the communication channel between mafia and moneybags probably wouldn't have happened.

I was basically roleplaying as Corbin's evil twin brother, Korbin. Who unbeknownst to the crew had replaced Corbin O_o

actually that was more the fluff reasoning I came up with...I was really mainly just posting gifs...

edited June 2015
    Also for the record
    Obi says Vig was not around to change orders.

@Obifett wasn't lying. I wasn't around to switch to @Sepah . So Auralynx ate it :/

e: anyway thanks for running jdarksun, looks like people have fun. I didn't have much idea what I was doing during my brief tenure as Bizarro Corbin. But it was fun for what little time I was in.

Egos on
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    Feels like the reavers got pretty unlucky this game. Caught in the cross fire.

Well, kime defending his reaver buddy right before he died red didn't help.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Thanks for running JDarksun, that was alot of fun. I'm surprised that there were no guards, meaning we could have outright killed obi at any time. Well, this ending was for the best I think... If Zoe wasn't rescued in the end, it woulda been a cool freaky alternate firefly universe where I was the only main character who survived, but this is happiest for Wash. Sorry btw Mal, I wasn't going to have you arrested orginally, but that last minute vote shenanigans convinced me otherwise.

You shoulda said something Wash, I wouldn'tve thought the lesser of ya for it!

Everything aside, this was an interesting game; even though I was a captain, I still didn't feel like I had a lot of info to go off of. That and the close time being right in the middle of my work made things more difficult for me to keep up as the game went on. Still, dug the flavor (which got me to run through Firefly again, which is never a bad thing) and had some fun conversations with Garick and interesting haggling with Obi over who would get the Tams (We both really wanted to use that duo once we knew we had them) just wish I could've parleyed that into more. I'm also sad I didn't get to do as many jobs as apparently some were able to, I feel like I failed as a captain in that regard.

Thanks for running jdark, look forward to see what you cook up next!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Well, kime defending his reaver buddy right before he died red didn't help.

The thing is - I wasn't even a Reaver when he was defending me. The wagon was forming on me on day 2 when Baidol died and I took over the captaincy. Kime defended me while I was still a Spacer, then converted me that night.

I came so close to just skipping the Reaver kill on night 3 just to let the heat die down and try to convert someone night 4. But in the end I felt like I had to use the kill. And when Preda turned out to be Alliance and non-convertible, it was all over.

Thanks for running the game, jdark, that was complex as hell but it was good fun.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    I can only imagine what type of havoc Langly would have wreaked on this game had he not been day 1d

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Wow, double tapped, I gotta work on my lighting rod powers.

Also I do not really think that was a win for law and order, you took out the only honest lawman in the boarder systems.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Thanks for running an interesting phalla, jdark, even though I obviously didn't get much chance to play it.

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I think a day 0 would have avoid a lot of day 1 confusion and let crews settle a bit better (I had peeps on my boat that I'd never be able to talk directly to because tiiiiiiimezoooooones)

Good game though, shame on the village for voting out their glorious pirate king

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Getting day one'd in this suuuuuuuuucked. Even though I kind of figured it would happen.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Man I bet @Retaba is soooooo mad at the way things turned out.

His first impulse was to sell out the mafia to me and retire, but jdark asked him not to, so then he just played normal mafia and got killed!

Also the reavers killing me was a terrible idea! I was the most likely villager to turn into a mafia stooge the second money was on the table.

Ah, so bounties were fatal? I knew they sounded to good. I kept pushing back against ObiFett cause I was thinking "why would turning in village bounties help the village? Wouldn't that just mean turning ourselves all in is the best idea?"

Langly wrote: »
    I was the most likely villager to turn into a mafia stooge the second money was on the table.

That turned out to be me instead! I was like a devil in obi's ear all day "the numberssss .... The temptation .... The moneeeey"

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Bounties were not fatal, they removed you from B game. You could still win a villager victory, vote and use powers.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited June 2015
    Ah yeah - I just realized jdark meant originally intended to be fatal - but didn't work out that way due to some mis-editing of the rules.

Gizzy on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @jdarksun Thanks again for running, I had a ton of fun.

I had a lot of fun captaining for my brief stint, although wasn't really popular enough to get a full crew. Then Virgil was killed and @REG Rysk deserted for a better life with Obi leaving me by myself. Which actually would have let me retire the next night.

Then to add injury to insult got mafia placeholdered that night. The shame is all of my money got thrown away because the ship was abandoned. REG, you should have told me you were going to hang out with the cool kids, I would have sent your share of the money at least.

@Jpants From the mafia boards looks like you killed me? My vengeance will be neither swift nor entertaining! I will mete it out over decades, so that you will wonder if the misery in your life is manifest, the machinations of 38thDoE, or... some third thing. Good day!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Also also also, I outed my self as Zoe to my entire crew on day one.

My Skill was called "Dust Devil", and having never seen the show I didn't know that was her nickname/alias.

So, despite not sharing my name (I didn't know who Zoe was), or that I had a warrant, I gave myself on day 1 on accident.

Hilarious.