As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sense8: Season 2 is out

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    This page reminds me that this show had some amazingly beautiful scenes that would not be possible without the central concept. The 4 Non Blondes moment is one of those.
    the clusterfuck is another...

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    By watching her dad in the orchestra (how cute were the old guys all taking X before the show?),

I really love the music in this show, but then I'm always partial to classical piano.

Also with her dad and his colleagues
    I was worried he'd start licking his keyboard or something.
    I know nothing about X. Is this a thing people do?
    Also, did Amanita choose that name herself or is her mom that much of a hippie?
    My friend, Amanita's mom is the biggest hippie. Nomi explains the Sensate thing to her and she's all, "yeah that's legit. Also groovy."

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Esh wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Up to episode 4. I'm really liking this so far. One thing I questioned though so far:
    They basically held Nomi against her will to perform treatment on her that she did not consent to. Is this even legal? Unless I'm totally missing something, this seemed like a huge stretch to me that a doctor and extended family could pull that crap despite her explicit intent to not receive treatment. And if that is a thing that can actually happen here in the U.S., then that's super depressing.
    Did you not pick up on that there's a giant conspiracy and that those people holding her in the hospital are part of it? Her mother doesn't give a shit, she just wants her "crazy son" (that's in quotes for a reason, so don't anyone flip out) to start acting normal, so she's willing to believe whatever. As well, people who are mentally unstable can be held if it's to protect themselves or others.
    I get the conspiracy part, but it still surprises me that with her girlfriend there actively trying to get her out, not a single person in the hospital (other than that one nurse) stopped and said, "Hey, I'm not sure we can actually do this, we might get sued to hell and back if we don't at least look into it."

I mean, it's fine for story reasons and I went along with it, just saying that it did bug me a little.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    MrMrMe wrote: »
    Van Damme drives like a boss. The only place I've seen anyone drive like an African bus driver is in Dubai with their taxi driver. He also brings a sense of wonder and reminds everyone not to take stuff for granted.

Riley seems to bring deep emotion, it feels like her skills are not useful yet, but I think she has a bit more to her than what we have seen.

Also, I don't recall any straight sex at all - it was all gay/lesbian/orgy

Yes third world bus driving skills is not to be scoffed at those guys are crazy in the maneuvers they do to get around those cities in a vehicle that size. In a place where there basically is not such thing as traffic laws you almost need ESP to avoid collisions.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Van Damn is also the only one who seems to be unreservedly joyful about the whole thing from the very beginning. And he always steps up when he's needed, even if the person he's "in" doesn't know that they need him. Of the pod, he's got a pretty solid case for having the most messed up daily life ( Wolf gives him a run here) and he's always legitimately upbeat about things.

Plus he's shown himself to have crazy levels of personal integrity and moral fortitude. I think he's my favorite of the bunch.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I wish the public transit vehicles in the US were decorated like their Van buses. The busses in my town have a boring blue and green color scheme.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Well strictly speaking, the Van Damn and Bat Van et al are privately owned, not public transit.

steam_sig.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Well strictly speaking, the Van Damn and Bat Van et al are privately owned, not public transit.

Because there is no government owned public transit. Just because it's privately owned doesn't mean it's not intended to transport the general public. One of the "bus" companies nearish to where I live is privately owned. In fact, it's a lot like their little van system. They're even the same sort of Bus/Van dealies.

Some of the buses and trains in my area have full-body advertisements... literally the whole bus exterior is covered with an adhesive hawking something or another. It's about as close to Van Damn as I'm going to see.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    This page reminds me that this show had some amazingly beautiful scenes that would not be possible without the central concept. The 4 Non Blondes moment is one of those.

Clusterfuck was about four minutes too long. I mean really, really a huge waste of available time. Sixty seconds woulda been enough, but they felt the need to stretch it over an entire song? Who does that?

People who don't have to worry about commercial breaks.

steam_sig.png

Clusterfuck was about four minutes too long. I mean really, really a huge waste of available time. Sixty seconds woulda been enough, but they felt the need to stretch it over an entire song? Who does that?

Depends on your definition of "waste"... :winky:
    I mean, it's not like it happens and is never referred to again, and any point where you can get four of the sensates in the same place at the same time is a pretty big deal. Basically it's in there to counterpoint all the serious, nasty shit that the sensates have to deal with. Lobotomies, government conspiracies, homophobia... the list goes on. Can you blame our heroes for cutting loose for a minute (or four)?

Would you complain about a four minute fight scene or action sequence?

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I had no problem with the clusterfuck. Pretty much just showed another aspect of what can happen with the ability.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Last episode spoilers
    I liked how they referenced the clusterfuck when Lito and Will 'meet' for the second time.

Will: "Have we met?"
    Lito: "We had sex."
    *figurative mic drop*

Last episode spoilers
    I liked how they referenced the clusterfuck when Lito and Will 'meet' for the second time.

Will: "Have we met?"
    Lito: "We had sex."
    *figurative mic drop*

Also, followed by
    Nomi: "We're on a schedule, guys."

Quid wrote: »
    I had no problem with the clusterfuck. Pretty much just showed another aspect of what can happen with the ability.

I never said I had a problem with it, just that they stretched it out waaaay too long.

Action sequences can show off technical cinematic prowess. That was just five minutes of people grinding on each other.

I never said I had a problem with it, just that they stretched it out waaaay too long.

Action sequences can show off technical cinematic prowess. That was just five minutes of people grinding on each other.

It was five minutes of people with beautiful bodies becoming physically closer that built up bit by bit until the culmination of it all.

And I don't understand how you can say you don't have a problem with the scene and simultaneously claim it wasted time. You clearly do. And that's okay. Not everyone likes the same stuff and I can wholly understand that someone else would find it dull.

It was a very cinematic orgy.

steam_sig.png

Sex scenes can show off technical cinematic prowess, too. I mean, look at Basic Instinct. Whatever you think about that movie overall, the sex scenes are definitely filmmaking.

And even here, the "five minutes of people grinding on each other" were probably filmed in four different cities on two different continents, which would have required a significant amount of logistics, planning, cinematography, parsing of contracts (i.e. who is willing to show what on-film), closed sets, multiple takes, editing. Seriously, those several minutes took a significant amount of effort to produce and they told a story about the characters involved; it was hardly a gratuitous low-rent sex scene like the one they spoofed in Cabin in the Woods.

Actually, on that point, I wonder how they did the 'visiting' scenes. Did they just film the full scenes with all people involved at each location involved and then cut it in a way they liked? Or were the shots mostly written to show one location or the other? There definitely seemed to be a few where the setting was tied to who was talking, or what thematic thing was happening.

steam_sig.png
    Actually, on that point, I wonder how they did the 'visiting' scenes. Did they just film the full scenes with all people involved at each location involved and then cut it in a way they liked? Or were the shots mostly written to show one location or the other? There definitely seemed to be a few where the setting was tied to who was talking, or what thematic thing was happening.

Well, honestly my guess is that it depends on who was running the show that day. My guess is that, if they go by JMS's plan, he likely had exact scripts and exact shots for only the dialogue that we saw that made it into the final version, because he's good at planning that stuff. The Wachowskis, on the other hand, probably would've just filmed the whole scene in both (or all three) locations and then picked and chose which takes they wanted where. Just spitballing here, I could be wrong.

I'm curious too. Each episode has certain directors tied to it but it seems like it would be easier to film the location stuff for the scenes they're by themselves in with just one director. But almost all of those would stretch across the whole season.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    JMS wrote all 12 episodes so I feel it was probably JMS planning it out while working with the Wachowskis.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I'm curious too. Each episode has certain directors tied to it but it seems like it would be easier to film the location stuff for the scenes they're by themselves in with just one director. But almost all of those would stretch across the whole season.

The directors were more based on location that episode (credit for each episode is probably due to guild rules).

Here's Wikipedia:
    The show's directors were attached to locations instead of episodes[60] and with all eight countries featured in every one of them, each episode ended up having multiple directors.[30] The Wachowskis were responsible for directorial duties in scenes shot in Chicago[44] and San Francisco[61] along with London and Iceland, two places which were initially announced to be helmed by Straczynski.[32] Straczynski eventually opted to offer them to the siblings due to the extensive stunt work required[62] and instead focused his energy on post-production.[39] James McTeigue (V for Vendetta, Ninja Assassin) worked on the Mexico City, Mumbai and Reykjavík parts[30] and German director Tom Tykwer (Cloud Atlas), whose Nairobi Half Life production impressed the Wachowskis, helmed Berlin[63] and Nairobi.[18] Dan Glass, who has been the visual effects supervisor for every Wachowski film since The Matrix Reloaded, reprised his role in Sense8 while also making his directorial debut in scenes shot in Seoul.[64][65] Executive producer Grant Hill estimates that in total the Wachowskis directed seven episodes, McTeigue and Tykwer two each and Glass one.[4] The director of photography that worked with the Wachowskis is John Toll, who previously shot Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending for them.[64][66] McTeigue's cinematographer of choice is Danny Ruhlmann, who previously shot The Raven and Survivor for him.[67][68] Tykwer worked with Frank Griebe[69] and Christian Almesberger[70] for the Berlin and Nairobi scenes respectively. Griebe had previously shot seven feature films of Tykwer's including Cloud Atlas and Almesberger was the cinematographer of two past films Tykwer produced in Nairobi; Soul Boy and Nairobi Half Life.

The visiting scenes were probably a mix of greenscreen work and actors hopping on a flight to shoot wherever they needed, depending on what the scene called for (you can probably make a good guess based on actor movement and interaction within the scene).

edited June 2015

It was five minutes of people with beautiful bodies becoming physically closer that built up bit by bit until the culmination of it all.

And I don't understand how you can say you don't have a problem with the scene and simultaneously claim it wasted time. You clearly do. And that's okay. Not everyone likes the same stuff and I can wholly understand that someone else would find it dull.

When I say I don't have a problem, I'm trying to emphasize that I don't have a problem with the content, seeing as how there are some very, very sensitive people out there.

I mean, I got up after 60 seconds and started making a sandwich, listening from the kitchen for a scene change, and I came back, and still had time to take a few bites before it ended. Overly long action scenes bore me too for the most part (prequel Star Wars for example), unless they're well done (John Woo for example).

I'm enjoying the show, but sometimes it could use some serious editing. I mean, besides the first Matrix, the Wachowskis haven't done much of merit. I have a feeling that a great deal of the worthwhile content in the show comes from Straczynski. Lots of scenes in the Wachowskis' movies are great examples of not knowing when to quit.

Esh on
    edited June 2015

The directors were more based on location that episode (credit for each episode is probably due to guild rules).

Here's Wikipedia:
    The show's directors were attached to locations instead of episodes[60] and with all eight countries featured in every one of them, each episode ended up having multiple directors.[30] The Wachowskis were responsible for directorial duties in scenes shot in Chicago[44] and San Francisco[61] along with London and Iceland, two places which were initially announced to be helmed by Straczynski.[32] Straczynski eventually opted to offer them to the siblings due to the extensive stunt work required[62] and instead focused his energy on post-production.[39] James McTeigue (V for Vendetta, Ninja Assassin) worked on the Mexico City, Mumbai and Reykjavík parts[30] and German director Tom Tykwer (Cloud Atlas), whose Nairobi Half Life production impressed the Wachowskis, helmed Berlin[63] and Nairobi.[18] Dan Glass, who has been the visual effects supervisor for every Wachowski film since The Matrix Reloaded, reprised his role in Sense8 while also making his directorial debut in scenes shot in Seoul.[64][65] Executive producer Grant Hill estimates that in total the Wachowskis directed seven episodes, McTeigue and Tykwer two each and Glass one.[4] The director of photography that worked with the Wachowskis is John Toll, who previously shot Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending for them.[64][66] McTeigue's cinematographer of choice is Danny Ruhlmann, who previously shot The Raven and Survivor for him.[67][68] Tykwer worked with Frank Griebe[69] and Christian Almesberger[70] for the Berlin and Nairobi scenes respectively. Griebe had previously shot seven feature films of Tykwer's including Cloud Atlas and Almesberger was the cinematographer of two past films Tykwer produced in Nairobi; Soul Boy and Nairobi Half Life.

The visiting scenes were probably a mix of greenscreen work and actors hopping on a flight to shoot wherever they needed, depending on what the scene called for (you can probably make a good guess based on actor movement and interaction within the scene).

I'm willing to bet some of those people were body doubles as well to save on flying actors around. There're great stretches of time that you can't even see most of their faces.

Esh on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

Here's Wikipedia:

I'm willing to bet some of those people were body doubles as well to save on flying actors around. There're great stretches of time that you can't even see most of their faces.

Here's Wikipedia:

Doubles, lots of rooms that look the exact same, composites, shooting out of order.

Like, somehow I doubt the line about the action movie dude always doing the last scenes first wasn't meta as fuck.

If Netflix had said, yeah go ahead and shoot the whole thing, and they can do all the shots where a given character is visiting all at once(for the season) the transport cost approach fuck all.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Fucking

Novelty lighters

Fuck me

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    finished it

good show

golly the critics are super divisive on this show

Pony wrote: »

It is a bit peculiar. It might be that a lot of people are super uncomfortable with some aspects of the show's politics, but don't feel like they can vote it down for that reason ("gay people are gross" doesn't really fly as a reason for disliking something these days), so they harp on the meandering, ensemble elements, or its "preachiness" or its somewhat broad tropes/themes or whatnot.

Pony wrote: »

It is a bit peculiar. It might be that a lot of people are super uncomfortable with some aspects of the show's politics, but don't feel like they can vote it down for that reason ("gay people are gross" doesn't really fly as a reason for disliking something these days), so they harp on the meandering, ensemble elements, or its "preachiness" or its somewhat broad tropes/themes or whatnot.

yeah i feel like this is accurate

like it wouldn't fly to just be like "I don't like all them there queer characters" so they try to trump up some basic complaints about pacing as if they're far more damning than they are

To be fair, I'm going through a second time and the first couple of episodes are paced very slowly. I think that is deliberate and there are a lot of things seeded for later in the season, but it does drag.

To be fair, I'm going through a second time and the first couple of episodes are paced very slowly. I think that is deliberate and there are a lot of things seeded for later in the season, but it does drag.

sure!

i think pacing is a legit complaint

but I think there are some critics who are treating it as a way more damning thing to secretly bitch about other elements of the series that are too publicly unpalatable to complain about

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    And we get to the reason some people are handling the series with kid gloves: They don't want to be labelled a bigot.

I think its dangerous to assume people who detail their legit issues with the show are doing it because they have issues with the LGBT community.

It scares off real critique and isn't good for anyone.

ObiFett on
  • MrMrMeMrMrMe Registered User regular
    Pacing is a concern.

I honestly wasn't a huge fan of a lot of the sexuality politics, and the consent violation of dragging
    the straight characters into the gay orgy. If this had been the other way around people would be up in arms about rape/forcing people to be straight etc. Its actually quite horrific to me
    but I can look past what they did with what they were trying to portray. That scene went on so long though I had enough time to make a couple of hot chocolates and still see over half of it.

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    final episode:
    the smoking expensive car gag was funny

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    also why do people keep calling it a pod

steam_sig.png
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Peas in a pod?