As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Europe...?

dawmdtdawmdt Registered User new member
I know this has been raised before on the forum (I found a thread in the archive from 2011...) but I was wondering if there had been any new thoughts or progress on a PAX Europe?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    When they announced PAX South, they said they were done making new PAXen for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I gotta say, I was really surprised when a fifth PAX was announced and it turned out to be another US PAX. Thought Europe would've got the slot for sure.

That said, PA will have all the data on where their readership is strongest, and am sure they made the best decision based on that.

Edit: Fourth, d'oh...
    Attach the stone of shame...
    78y5nt6ws2l6.jpg

PAX_Skeletor on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fifth? you including Dev in that?

• Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    ...sure, yeah Dev. That's it. Totally not miscounting in my head somehow late at night whilst procrastinating instead of studying for my exam the next day. Yup, totally not that.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    PA said that they felt like Europe was covered pretty well by Gamescom, as well.

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    I believe it was in one of the initial PA TV episodes that they said that they made PAX because the US market had no consumer facing video game conventions and it was their intention to fill that gap. I personally would be surprised if they moved to Europe for that reason, but you never know.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Keroan wrote: »
    I believe it was in one of the initial PA TV episodes that they said that they made PAX because the US market had no consumer facing video game conventions and it was their intention to fill that gap. I personally would be surprised if they moved to Europe for that reason, but you never know.

Yeah, things change. They have said they are done with creating new PAXen, but I'm sure the savvy businessmen who run Penny Arcade have an eye on things. So if circumstances change, like if the PAX brand gets big enough in Europe or they get a really good deal from a country/city looking to open a convention, maybe they will change their minds.

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Actually what really happened was that Penny Arcade approached EuroGamer to join forces and bring PAX to Europe. I know this as I asked Mike and Jerry during a Q&A with them a few years back and essentially both parties couldn't agree terms. Penny Arcade was deeply concerned that it would overwhelm the recently established EuroGamer Expo so didn't want to trample all over them. So after many meetings and discussions, a compromise sadly could not be reached and hence PAX Europe was permanently shelved.

GamesCom has never really featured in the discussion with Penny Arcade as that event is both commercial and trade combined into one show. I have been a few times and it's loike E3 and PAX jammed into one massive building in Cologne, it's a site to see for sure. So much so that over 200,000 people attend it year on year.

It's not all bad though as the Indie Megabooth is actually heading to this year's EuroGamer Expo. This may have come about after the discussions with EuroGamer and PAX, but I'm not sure.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png