As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arkham Knight] Asylum and City Remasters are out for PS4+Xbone

SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man inWesterosRegistered User regular
edited October 2016 in Games and Technology
bbballsad.png

Six years ago Rocksteady studios did what many thought was impossible: they released a Batman game that was actually really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fSkcAYyZ8

Arkham Asylum was a well paced action game, but what made it special was twofold: an innovative combat system that cast a long shadow over every action game since and that Batman was not immune to gunfire, just one mook could take him down if he wasn't careful. Fortunately, he's Batman, careful planning is sort of his thing.

Two years later, Rocksteady out did themselves and released the difficult second album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCtJsy-d9w

Arkham City was the Zelda to Asylum's Metroid, bigger, more open and with overhauled movement and deeper fighting mechanics.

The success of the previous two games made publisher Warner eager for those fat stacks, so a third game was inevitable. However Rocksteady would not finish the third in their trilogy with a satisfactory time period. Enter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pnK8akbd2M

Developed by Warner Montreal, 2013's Origins was, you guessed it: a prequel! Those always go down well!
Origins was largely iterative, but had some real improvements in character design, as well as a solid story. It also has multiplayer apparently, but at this point that is probably dead. Sadly it could have done with a bit more time in the workshop to iron out bugs, but overall it was a good effort.

All three of these games are almost guaranteed to go on sale for about £5 each during the Steam Sale starting 11/6, although if you are reading this, odds on you probably already own at least one, probably City.

batman-arkham-knight-logo.jpg

On June 23rd, Rocksteady are releasing the "Final part of the Arkham Trilogy (Because we don't talk about Origins, Batman is our thing!)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsf78BS9VE0

From the looks of things, this should be a pretty big jump from City, with improved gliding, a Batmobile and team-ups during some fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpfytI2K7-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_R2ptt7ibs

As ever with Batmans post-City, there are a million different pre-order "bonuses" but the crux is, all pre-orders get a Harley Quinn challenge pack, with a wee bit of story thrown in. GameStop/Game get a Red Hood pack of the same as an extra. Everywhere else gets some Batman Skins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxlxMW8d6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSkZvzoK_4g

Additionally, there is the inevitable Season Pass that includes all pre-order content plus Batmobile driving sections as well as
A Batgirl prequel pack.
batgirl-720x720.jpg
Nightwing, Robin and Catwoman are also probably going to get their own packs at some point.

7qmGNt5.png
D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
Snicketysnick on

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    One thing I noticed in a Batmobile segment that really struck me as amazing attention to detail.

The Batmobile hit a metal set of stairs on the side of a bridge. It was the kind of metal stairs that lead down from a bridges pedestrian walkway, is heavily fixed to the side of the bridge with metal struts.

In any other game hitting something like that would stop your car dead as if it had hit the bridge itself.

The Batmobile plowed straight through it without even slowing down.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that sort of thing really sells the choice to lean towards the Tank end of the Batmobile spectrum, makes it look weighty.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Rubber Batmobile, honest! :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Batman doesn't kill people, but he never said his car wouldn't

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Regular Ass-Batman

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    "I wont kill you, but I don't have to save you... from the internal hemorrhaging and broken bones that caused severed arteries."

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Regular Ass-Batman
    batass.jpg

Bat ass doe

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    ass aside,

I am seriously hyped for this game

preordered on PC

I was debating whether to get it on PS4 or PC. Those graphics demand my PC.

My PC demands those graphics!

My biggest issue with this game is WB's piecing it out everywhere. It's crazy how spread out content for this game is.

But with that said, yea, I am so excited and hyped for it that I essentially bought my PS4 for this game.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    My biggest issue with this game is WB's piecing it out everywhere. It's crazy how spread out content for this game is.

But with that said, yea, I am so excited and hyped for it that I essentially bought my PS4 for this game.

Yeah, it seems crazy that there's actual content (meaning not costumes) that won't be in the season pass because it's a retailer specific pre-order bonus.

And who knows how much it'll be when they sell it later on?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I preordered this and that is something I just don't really do anymore. Admittedly 40% off at GMG really helped tip me over the edge. I ain't touching that season pass though until it is clear what is in it/it goes on sale at Christmas for a lot cheaper.

7qmGNt5.png
    I see a lot of people saying that they will wait for the GotY Edition because of the piecemeal policy WB has going for Arkham Knight, and honestly, I can't blame them. Personally I want to play the game too much to wait that long. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I still hate Arkham Harley's outfit so goddamn much.

She's a Harlequin, that was the point of her original design.

YL9WnCY.png
    Pfft, the Red Hood stuff is totally going to be in the season pass after an X-time delay for release. They did the same thing with the Robin pack for city, which was a game/gamestop exclusive, then paid dlc then in the goty version.

My assumption (yeah I know) is that anything that is paid dlc is bundled into the season pass upon release and that any preorder bonuses will be paid dlc at some point. If Shadow of Mordor (another WB joint) is any indication, the GotY version is literally going to be the base game+the season pass with nothing new added.

7qmGNt5.png
    We'll see. I don't think there was a season pass for AC but both Robin and Nightwing were $10 each if I recall correctly. It would make sense for the Red Hood to be included but we won't know until WB says so (which they probably won't until after launch to not piss off Gamestop).
    It would really suck to pick-up the game post launch and miss out on the Harley stuff, but it's probably packed into all launch copies like Catwoman in AC.

But yeah, fuck WB for this shit specifically, I need a damn spreadsheet to figure out exactly which content I have to wait 6 months or so to play...

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    From Reddit and US focused:
    Z1Qnzc7.jpg

Also missing the First Appearance (purple gloves) skin from pre-ordering from Amazon in the US.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
    Wait the Batman Beyond skin is Steam exclusive? NOOOOOOOOOO

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Where do I need to pre-order to get Russian Martian Batman?

edited June 2015

With Arkham City, all the retailer-specific "exclusives" were timed and eventually released in skin packs. The beyond skin was the most ridiculous back then; you had to buy a terrible energy drink and take a code off the bottle cap or the label.

McRhyno on
    Arteen wrote: »
    Where do I need to pre-order to get Russian Martian Batman?

Publix Supermarkets

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    McRhyno wrote: »

With Arkham City, all the retailer-specific "exclusives" were timed and eventually released in skin packs. The beyond skin was the most ridiculous back then; you had to buy a terrible energy drink and take a code off the bottle cap or the label.

Yeah but a drink costs like $2. I can live with that! Console people won't get the Beyond skin for a couple months which sucks because it was hands down my favorite in AC.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Yeah but a drink costs like $2. I can live with that! Console people won't get the Beyond skin for a couple months which sucks because it was hands down my favorite in AC.

It doesn't really look like the skin from Arkham City
    ss_7c7618583833f22e2d8dddf04567d5b2693f488f.1920x1080.jpg?t=1432832565

Apparently it's based on some recent comic, instead of the Batman Beyond cartoon.

I bought a can of that horrible NOS stuff specifically for the Batman Beyond skin. I tasted it, gagged, and immediately dumped it out. Then I went home, put in my code, and happily punched bad guys around as Batman Beyond.

I'd say it was a worthy investment. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited June 2015

That's a fair point; I'm bummed because I loved using the DKR skin which is in the same Steam pack.

McRhyno on
    Peewi wrote: »

It doesn't really look like the skin from Arkham City
    ss_7c7618583833f22e2d8dddf04567d5b2693f488f.1920x1080.jpg?t=1432832565

Apparently it's based on some recent comic, instead of the Batman Beyond cartoon.

True, I liked the AC skin design better. But as long as this one still has under-arm wings I remain jealous.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is Batgirl actually a part of the main story in Arkham Knight?

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is Batgirl actually a part of the main story in Arkham Knight?
    No, she's Oracle in the main campaign. The Batgirl story is a prequel, probably takes place after Origins.

Oracle is, playing the support role from previous games. Batgirl is also confirmed to be Barbra Gordon, so place bets on how that DLC is going to end? Tbh I am still a bit grumpy about that, there are 2 blokes who are/have been Robin in this game, three if you count Red Hood but despite the fact there have been two other Batgirls, this one has to be Babs.

7qmGNt5.png
    Oracle is, playing the support role from previous games. Batgirl is also confirmed to be Barbra Gordon, so place bets on how that DLC is going to end? Tbh I am still a bit grumpy about that, there are 2 blokes who are/have been Robin in this game, three if you count Red Hood but despite the fact there have been two other Batgirls, this one has to be Babs.

Who wants to place bets that the Batgirl prequel mission is how they fit Joker into the game? :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    God dammit... didn't know the DKR skin was PC exclusive. Gettin' reeeeeeal sick of your shit WB >:[

I know it will hit consoles at some point, but that's still pretty lame...

Barbara is easily the most popular Batgirl, the only other one people might recognize is Cassandra Cain. I don't fault them for that, but I understand the frustration. To be fair though, Robin had all of 10 spoken lines in AC's main plot and Nightwing wasn't even there. I hope they flesh out each playable character with some story missions for each.

Also I really want skins for the other playable characters, Robin and Nightwing got screwed in AC. They could even throw in a Cassandra skin and TDKR Robin skin in for more female bat-family action.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Barbara is only the most popular Batgirl because they absolutely refuse to use any other one so they can be exposed outside of comics. Which is a shame, because the John Stewart Green Lantern, Wally West Flash, Tim Drake Robin, Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle and several others have been allowed to get that exposure (well, until recently, now they're refusing to expose any Green Lantern but Hal Jordan and any Flash but Barry Allen--who, like Barbara, were both the mantle holders in the 70s which is back when the people who are in charge now were kids).

Until New 52, Cassandra Cain actually had more comic appearances as Batgirl than Barbara did (and Barbara had more appearances as Oracle than she did as Batgirl, in fact she still might not have caught up to that). Cassandra was also the first Batgirl to have her own ongoing series, and currently still has the longest running Batgirl series.

Barbara wasn't even the first Batgirl (Bette Kane was, but people constantly dismiss her like they do the Jay Garrick Flash and Alan Scott Green Lantern), and she actually appeared somewhat sporadically because she was constantly retiring and then coming back (in fact, she had been retired for a while at the time that Joker shot her). She was also a bit older than Dick Grayson back then (Bruce actually tried fixing her up with Clark Kent one time because they were closer in age than her and Dick). Dick did have a schoolboy crush on her, though.

Then BtAS comes out and makes the Dick/Barbara romance a thing, so they decide to de-age Barbara and retcon it into the comics, even though Dick was with Starfire during that time in the comics, resulting in some dumb crap like a flashback to Dick sleeping with Barbara and then handing her an invitation to his wedding with Starfire (though some say the writer who wrote that only did it to illustrate how dumb it was to try and retcon the Barbara romance into that time period).

So it's a bit frustrating that the Arkham games (which now have at least 3 different Robins in them) have to use a flashback story so they can use Barbara Gordon as Batgirl instead of Cassandra or Stephanie (who--despite her short tenure and having to overcome Cassandra fans--still managed to have a very well received run). Though at least they're smart enough to leave present-day Barbara as Oracle (since she was a far better character as Oracle, not to mention her importance to the handicapped community which DC pissed all over with New 52).

Lars on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The mention of skins reminds me, did they ever findexplain whatwhy thethey removed the ultimate nightmarrnightmare skin from origin?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm glad I don't give two damns about this needlessly convoluted preorder circus.

YL9WnCY.png
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The mention of skins reminds me, did they ever findexplain whatwhy thethey removed the ultimate nightmarrnightmare skin from origin?

I assume it was breaking something.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Wooo, a new thread!

My old thread was pre-Origins, when I was optimistic

Before Origins and Blackgate completely broke my spirit

I sure hope Knight is good but I'm waiting for reviews before I buy

Wooo, a new thread!

My old thread was pre-Origins, when I was optimistic

Before Origins and Blackgate completely broke my spirit

I sure hope Knight is good but I'm waiting for reviews before I buy

Knight is Rocksteady, though. It's pretty much guaranteed to be good. WB's tryna hang a bit of a dark cloud over it with the preorder silliness, but I think the actual game itself is going to be pretty awesome.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    That pre-order crap is a mess.

No one should have to chart out shit to buy a mother flubbin' game. So annoying.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud