As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seattle Tourism for PAX Prime 2015

2»

• Options
    BanjhexBanjhex Washington StateRegistered User regular
    EMP Museum is fun for at least one trip in. Also a little morbid, but Bruce Lee and Brandon Lee's grave is kind of neat to say you have seen. I always been a fan so I went out of my way to go visit it.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

1) San Juan Islands. The kayaking is great. Didn't have even remotely enough time to spend there (two days). When I go back, I'm not making that mistake again. Orcas Island was my favorite. The pot stickers from The Kitchen in Eastbrook sustained me (and were delicious) while hiking in Moran State Park. Bring cash to the islands. A number of businesses don't run cards (or have minimum purchase requirements). Mami's Cafe at the Orcas Island ferry was another memorable eaterie. She has some fairly negative anti-Obama stickers plastered everywhere (I'm about as apolitical as a person can get), but she was the sweetest thing, mothering me while waiting on the ferry. The Yelp reviews reflect people's objections to her political views, I'd guess. As long as you don't really care what someone else's political views are, I'd give it a shot.

To add to this, anyone who wants to check out the San Juans should try staying in Anacortes. We're right here next to the ferry terminals plus we're right next to the Cascades and Skagit Valley. Lots of really awesome places to visit, camp, hike, fish, golf and such if you're any sort of sportsman. The town itself is pretty cool to check out and has a few good bars and restaurants itself. Speaking of which, if you stop by check out the A-Town Bistro and let me feed some of you!

Also for most I'd recommend staying here if you have a rented vehicle as it's a decent price and a nice hotel to boot. It's a bit outside of town but there are complimentary shuttles into town if you feel like having a few drinks.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    minisplatminisplat Registered User regular
    I'd have to agree with everyone suggesting the EMP, and anything hiking related! After a couple days of convention crowds being outdoors around Rainier is lovely.

passes - flight - hotel - anticipation

Don't Panic.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    minisplat wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with everyone suggesting the EMP, and anything hiking related! After a couple days of convention crowds being outdoors around Rainier is lovely.

One thing I would recommend against is hiking before PAX. Unless you are a seasoned hiker with feet of iron. PAX is hard on the feet. You want to go in peak condition.

• Options
    PathPath Registered User new member
    You could allocate a day to visit Mt. Rainier, it's beautiful that time of year
    My girlfriend and I have been looking into doing that this year pre-pax. So far it looks like a really worthwhile idea.

It'll be my first time in Seattle and I'm looking to go on a day trip to Mt. Rainier as well, either Thursday or Tuesday. Does anyone have experience with any of the various tour companies (Tours Northwest, Viator, etc.) that they can share?

• Options
    RealPlumpBoxRealPlumpBox Burlington, CTRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend and I have been looking into doing that this year pre-pax. So far it looks like a really worthwhile idea.

It is a far haul even if you have a car during your trip.

• Options
    fueledbyginfueledbygin Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    To add to this, anyone who wants to check out the San Juans should try staying in Anacortes. We're right here next to the ferry terminals plus we're right next to the Cascades and Skagit Valley. Lots of really awesome places to visit, camp, hike, fish, golf and such if you're any sort of sportsman. The town itself is pretty cool to check out and has a few good bars and restaurants itself. Speaking of which, if you stop by check out the A-Town Bistro and let me feed some of you!

We'll definitely try to stop by on our way out out of the islands this year. The menu looks fantastic!

• Options
    sye46sye46 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Path wrote: »

It'll be my first time in Seattle and I'm looking to go on a day trip to Mt. Rainier as well, either Thursday or Tuesday. Does anyone have experience with any of the various tour companies (Tours Northwest, Viator, etc.) that they can share?

check goldstar.com for deals on a guided tour with transportation. it's cheap but it's one whole day. you don't get a whole lot of time at the mountain, but the tour guide is nice, informative, and they take you to all the photogenic spots. it was worth the trip and i'm from Seattle. the deal pops up on goldstar.com randomly, so just continue checking it.

sye46 on
  • Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I can't vouch for this since I haven't had a chance to go myself, but this:

roomescapeadventures.com/

Looks pretty cool. Basically you're stuck in a room with a zombie that's chained to a wall and every 5 minutes the chain is released another foot from the wall. You have to solve puzzles to get out! It's like Resident Evil, but IRL! (Also, probably better VA). Was actually thinking of posting and seeing if anyone from PAX would be interested in hitting this up but I haven't decided yet :)

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Escape rooms are awesome if you haven't done them yet!

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I will be flying in early Tuesday - first time to Seattle so I want to check out the sites before the convention. I see that there is a "CityPass" that gets you in to several tourist attractions...has anyone bought one of these before, and if so did you find that it saved you any money?

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    The people who do the MMT are frequent purchasers of the citypass. I haven't done it myself as I don't do all the locations.

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Solelron wrote: »
    The people who do the MMT are frequent purchasers of the citypass. I haven't done it myself as I don't do all the locations.

thx! I plan on doing the MMT on Thursday, and was hoping that some of the places on the CP overlapped.