As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'd lend a [Chat] but they stuck in a fist and gun position

19495969798100»

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Yeah right now I think I'd go back to like a month ago and see if there was some way I could prevent my relationship from ending

but I've always been one of those "I wouldn't change my mistakes" people so maybe I'll feel differently when the whole healing thing is over

yeah i know its hard right now but when you are finished hurting you will see

you will meet a person and have a connection that will make that relationship look like what it really was - clown shoes

I know! In theory.

It's sort of like any other wound I guess

This hurts now and I would like to fastforward to the part where it stops hurting!

all those cliche after-dumping activities totally apply you know

you channel that energy into something productive

you draw a crazy project you've always wanted to do

you start exercise regime

you write angsty poetry that really demonstrates your mastery of the english language

whatever man just be busy and maybe glean something that lasts out of it

After i was dumped end of freshman year of college i finally committed to a diet plan and started running with C25k for the first time (granted i did it wrong) but now i run regularly and it's all because years later i looked back at that summer and remembered that I totally did finish that running plan once, and i could definitely do it again

yup I am busying

unfortunately a lot of my usual busy things are things that are hard for me to do right now because of FEELINGS

I feel sort of like I might throw up if I try to draw for example. Need to work on commissions but get weird prickly cold feeling whenever I go near the bag that has my tablet in it.

So hello chat you are distraction ty

when you do a thing while working through THE FEELINGS the sense of accomplishment is amplified a thousandfold

and when the wound has healed and you look back at what you learned from doing the thing you feel even more accomplished

grab your tablet right now

Yeah you're definitely right about that. I got dressed this morning without having to look at the ceiling so that's a thing. Still can't uncover the mirror though. Small steps I guess.

okay this is super depressing I'm going to go play games now

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i already posted this but it is kinda appropriate

friend of mine broke up with her bf on thurs so we went out on saturday so she could get stupid drunk and also maybe some diiiiiick

she was making out with a friend of mine who was on crutches all night and at the end of the night, he waited for her to go to the bathroom before leaving without saying anything to her

he literally hobbled up two flights of stairs to just avoid saying that he wasn't going home with her

i spent the next two hours with her while she cried in a mcdonalds

so yes, men are awful

Counterpoint:

I once drove 7 hours round trip just to have dinner with Nickie while we were dating, when she had a layover in Atlanta.

nibXTE7.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

friend of mine broke up with her bf on thurs so we went out on saturday so she could get stupid drunk and also maybe some diiiiiick

she was making out with a friend of mine who was on crutches all night and at the end of the night, he waited for her to go to the bathroom before leaving without saying anything to her

he literally hobbled up two flights of stairs to just avoid saying that he wasn't going home with her

so yes, men are awful

TBH I think if you reversed the genders, the aggressor would definitely be considered out of line

well yes but it is just a dumb anecdote

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I've known some incredibly good looking biologists.

well u no me so

obF2Wuw.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Yeah right now I think I'd go back to like a month ago and see if there was some way I could prevent my relationship from ending

but I've always been one of those "I wouldn't change my mistakes" people so maybe I'll feel differently when the whole healing thing is over

you will meet a person and have a connection that will make that relationship look like what it really was - clown shoes

I know! In theory.

This hurts now and I would like to fastforward to the part where it stops hurting!

you write angsty poetry that really demonstrates your mastery of the english language

After i was dumped end of freshman year of college i finally committed to a diet plan and started running with C25k for the first time (granted i did it wrong) but now i run regularly and it's all because years later i looked back at that summer and remembered that I totally did finish that running plan once, and i could definitely do it again

yup I am busying

unfortunately a lot of my usual busy things are things that are hard for me to do right now because of FEELINGS

I feel sort of like I might throw up if I try to draw for example. Need to work on commissions but get weird prickly cold feeling whenever I go near the bag that has my tablet in it.

Have

you

considered

hooking a videogame IV directly into your veins?

*Buys Child of Light*

good game, surprisingly deep and fast paced combat system

also wtf are you doing when you could be grinding out the most genetically gifted, unstoppable fire emblem children that ever were coldly produced by an unfeeling and all powerful god

When using video games as distraction from feelings, it's important to have many balls in the air at all times. The 3DS is perfectly designed for this project, as she can slice up Wyvern Lords with precocious purple haired children during the load times for her PC game. This prevents feelings from sneaking into the momentary gaps of video game engagement, you see.

Maybe put something on Netflix too, just to be safe.

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    The Nomadic Circle counts as the very recent past for me

Because of his direct comment to me about being a shallow Tehrani girl who runs after men with gold mercedes and have no loyalty to anything but bling

I'm like lol u turkmen rube u wanna get into a middle east stereotype pissing contest with me you unwashed goat fucker let's go

my favorite post of yours

right here

tbh i didn't confront him with these words because I wasn't about to get infracted or banned for violating the glorious edict over this goat fucker

but

he was a total goat fucker

Nomadic Circle managed to both be an unwashed goat fucker and a spoiled, snotty rich kid who was totally unaware of his privilege at the same time. It's quaint that he thought inheriting a 1000 camels or whatever the fuck makes him better than other people.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    bowen wrote: »
    I gotta say, girls doing science is pretty hot.

bam

proof that women doing science IS distractiungly sexy

chekmate feminists

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    When I was an awful young man I dumped several women who were way too good for me.

The system works?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies

so yes, men are awful

Counterpoint:

I once drove 7 hours round trip just to have dinner with Nickie while we were dating, when she had a layover in Atlanta.
    look at dis guy trying to get points for himself just subtlety slipping how great he is into the conversation

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    So now I'm reading about missiles

Best name for a thing ever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Thunderbird

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    I know I couldn't have saved my father
    or my aunt
    or spool's step-mom
    or spool's grandmother
    or my cousin
    or my step-mom's mom

I tried to save our friend, I saw what happened coming, I did everything I could

I have zero desire to relive any of that
    If, in the future, you make a new friend, and discover they are going down the same path this old friend took, would you still try and help as much as you could?

You don't have to answer if that's too personal for a hypothetical question.

For me at least, in the context of the original hypothetical question.

I can't "save" my grandmother, because she died naturally.
    Saving one of my online friends who was killed in a carjacking would have required actual prophetic knowledge.
    I don't know if I could've done anything to stop another old friend from committing suicide.
    But telling this guy to get the hell out of that house is something I could've done, and would love to in retrospect.

(and yes, the reliving aspect is pretty horrific for anything if we're taking back today's memory's with us)

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Wmata it is 95 out. Turn on the damn a.c.. Fucking hell.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

I know! In theory.

yup I am busying

Have

you

considered

hooking a videogame IV directly into your veins?

*Buys Child of Light*

good game, surprisingly deep and fast paced combat system

also wtf are you doing when you could be grinding out the most genetically gifted, unstoppable fire emblem children that ever were coldly produced by an unfeeling and all powerful god

When using video games as distraction from feelings, it's important to have many balls in the air at all times. The 3DS is perfectly designed for this project, as she can slice up Wyvern Lords with precocious purple haired children during the load times for her PC game. This prevents feelings from sneaking into the momentary gaps of video game engagement, you see.

Maybe put something on Netflix too, just to be safe.

or yes you can surround yourself with light and color and sound and dull the senses

it's emotional morphine

god bless technology

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

so yes, men are awful

Counterpoint:

look at dis guy trying to get points for himself just subtlety slipping how great he is into the conversation

I'm doing it for the good of mankind!

nibXTE7.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Biology students, on average, where definitely the most counter culture of any of the faculties of the STEM buildings in my day.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    erg, I am so over this cast...to type at all I have to hold my left elbow up in the air and sit at an odd angle. 5 weeks of this BS is going to make me (more) nuts!

I'm going to go test out how this waterproof cast works by getting a proper bath for the first time in a week.

Soaking in hot water and eating ice cream (not usually in combination, but it can work!) can fix many many things, after all.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I gotta say, girls doing science is pretty hot.

bam

proof that women doing science IS distractiungly sexy

chekmate feminists
    That's why they're not allowed out of the lab until they're almost 30 with that Dr in front of their name

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    @japan as the resident scot, you will be bearing the brunt of either my frustration or happiness depending on the result of the match tomorrow

just forewarning you

i literally do not care if you like football or not

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Just don't download that FF mobile game. Hard to close the lid of that box once you open it. Getting that soundtrack fix without having to actually replay the games is amazing (and you will end up replaying one anyway don't even lie)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Page 100, the end is nigh.
    Also it's close enough to 5:00 so time to dip dip potato chip on out of here

Bless your heart.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm gonna be "that guy" and say I absolutely would not go back. I'm only who I am because I made the mistakes I did then. Even for the most painful parts I experienced or the most horrible things I could've prevented, I wouldn't want it to have happened any other way. I think the way things would be different, the way things would have to progress, I would end up deeply missing now, which is something I would never be able to get back, something which I, myself, invalidated the entire existence of.

Mistakes are necessary, they're how you grow, and we have regrets to prevent things from happening in the future like they did in the past, not so that we can just lament the past for being what it was.

Think about it like this: say you did hit the button, and you went back, and you lived out your life differently and avoided all the mistakes you made the first time around. Now you get to your current age, and lo and behold someone gives you the opportunity to hit the button just like last time. Would you hit it then? Surely, you would've made some new mistakes, things couldn't go exactly as you planned, everything wouldn't be totally perfect. On the reasoning you used to hit it the first time, why wouldn't you hit it again? And then, again? And again? Why would you ever let time progress, let anyone or anything in the world grow except yourself?

The conceit is that you retain the experience, with less people getting hurt (or more if you're into that).
    Things I could have prevented include injuries and deaths, so it's ehh. I don't wanna wax poetic about how beautiful the tapestry of the human condition is.

But I figure I'd stop the first time I had anything notable to lose, because I'm a coward.
    I guess I'm selfish enough to keep looping and amass skills. But I'd have to avoid getting too attached to a particular life. I'd be reluctant to reset a friend's memories, if only because putting them back they way they were would be super hard, maybe impossible.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Vidja is about the only thing I can manage to focus my energies on without being overwhelmed by distraction when I'm depressed.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I made zero character growth since I was 20. Hakkes convinced me that racists shouldn't be allowed to refuse black customers, and my Israel position shifted somewhat. Maybe I eat fewer carbs.

Otherwise very stagnant decade, 0/10 would not recommend

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I can't believe you guys have feelings. What are you, 14?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie

Not the best name but an interesting if horrifying read.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I might go back in time to play Freedom Planet without knowing how hype it is going in. First world LP watcher problems.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    japan as the resident scot, you will be bearing the brunt of either my frustration or happiness depending on the result of the match tomorrow

just forewarning you

i literally do not care if you like football or not

I'm pretty sure I have bored on about rugby several times before so turn about seems fair enough

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    japan

you nerd

did you get my message

Thomamelas wrote: »

nuclear air-to-air rocket

wat

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I made zero character growth since I was 20. Hakkes convinced me that racists shouldn't be allowed to refuse black customers, and my Israel position shifted somewhat. Maybe I eat fewer carbs.

Otherwise very stagnant decade, 0/10 would not recommend

He says from not Philly

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • DropbearDropbear Registered User regular
    The Nomadic Circle counts as the very recent past for me

Because of his direct comment to me about being a shallow Tehrani girl who runs after men with gold mercedes and have no loyalty to anything but bling

I'm like lol u turkmen rube u wanna get into a middle east stereotype pissing contest with me you unwashed goat fucker let's go

my favorite post of yours

right here

tbh i didn't confront him with these words because I wasn't about to get infracted or banned for violating the glorious edict over this goat fucker

but

he was a total goat fucker

Nomadic Circle managed to both be an unwashed goat fucker and a spoiled, snotty rich kid who was totally unaware of his privilege at the same time. It's quaint that he thought inheriting a 1000 camels or whatever the fuck makes him better than other people.

Oh man, I saw you guys started to talk about long lost posters while I was still at work and I thought "hey that nomadic circle guy had a hilariously different/outdated view on life, I'm gonna post about him when I get home". And the first thing I see after coming home was a post about him.

ilu [chat]

• Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    I know I couldn't have saved my father
    or my aunt
    or spool's step-mom
    or spool's grandmother
    or my cousin
    or my step-mom's mom

I tried to save our friend, I saw what happened coming, I did everything I could

I have zero desire to relive any of that
    If, in the future, you make a new friend, and discover they are going down the same path this old friend took, would you still try and help as much as you could?

You don't have to answer if that's too personal for a hypothetical question.

For me at least, in the context of the original hypothetical question.

I can't "save" my grandmother, because she died naturally.
    Saving one of my online friends who was killed in a carjacking would have required actual prophetic knowledge.
    I don't know if I could've done anything to stop another old friend from committing suicide.
    But telling this guy to get the hell out of that house is something I could've done, and would love to in retrospect.

(and yes, the reliving aspect is pretty horrific for anything if we're taking back today's memory's with us)

yeah, I would...it's just who I am

For better or worse I try to help, I"m not afraid of burning bridges or ruining friendships if it means I know I tried my damnedest to help someone.

Just so it's clear - I didn't take your post to mean we should all rush back and try to prevent things from hurting people, I know you understand that sometimes people are just powerless. Still, it struck me how powerless I really was to help those people, and how little my now knowledge would help in the then. Thinking about it too much is even painful because I start trying to figure a way I might be able to fix it...to help, and the truth is there isn't a magic button and I have to live with the weight of all of this grief - and knowing that even if there were a magic button it wouldn't help helps with that circular thinking, the damnable "what if".

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

nuclear air-to-air rocket

wat

Yep. Note that it's not a missile since it lacks any kind of guidance. But the theory was you can't let any bombers through but you're probably only going to get one or two passes with it. So how do you make those passes count?

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    TNC was the date farmer, right? He was amazing.

I thought he was something special.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jurassic World was fun!

japan

you nerd

did you get my message

Oh, yes! Thank you!

Now eyeballing EY because their scheme has just opened up, and thinking more seriously about non big four jobs

In truth I am letting myself be guided in a lot of cases by who has offices in scotland

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i think i'd like to hit a button just to go back to college and like, redo a few things

and spend more time with dad

if i went back in time i would tell myself to focus more on fighting games and less on fps, fpses get boring way faster

obF2Wuw.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 3.5

@Bogart will create the new thread
    @surrealitycheck is backup

This discussion has been closed.